Redwall MUCK Forum

Redwall MUCK is an interactive, multiplayer text game set in Brian Jacques' Redwall universe.

Visit RWMUCK.ORG for more info!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-01-11 05:03:10 PM

BlisaMarshmellow

Missing Leon, missing acorn (RWA log)

SCENE: Redwall Abbey Gatehouse loft

CHARACTERS:  DoraRose, a female mouse.  Emyuil, a male mouse.

LOG:
DoraRose is up in the loft of the gatehouse, sweeping.  Or, more accurately, she had been sweeping.  But now she's sitting on the floor, cradling something very tiny in her paws, the broom at her feet.  A tear trickles down her cheek and drips off the end of her nose, leaving a small wet spot on her sleeve.

Emyuil knocks on the door to the loft; he'd been in the gatehouse, half-asleep listening to the slow, steady brushes of DoraRose's sweeping above him.  He's curious as to why  it suddenly stopped.

DoraRose looks up and quickly wipes her tears away on her sleeves.  Stuffing the thing she found in a pocket, she grabs the broom and hurriedly stands.  As she starts sweeping again, she calls out, "Come in!"

The hatch above the ladder creaks open and Emyuil clambers up. "Something wrong? You stopped for a while there..."

DoraRose shrugs.  She's been having a really horrible day and hasn't told anyone; she's not sure where to even begin.  She contiues to sweep, refusing to meet her brother's gaze.

Emyuil sighs.  "'rose, look at me.  I know something's bothering you. You're acting different, and I want to help you."

DoraRose continues to sweep and not look at her brother.  "Well, yeah, I'm a widow, of course everything's different."  Her sweeping has become more....aggressive and agitated.

Emyuil runs a paw through his headfur. "That's not what I meant.  What I meant was that you're shutting me out."  He sits down on the edge of the bed, his muscled shoulders slumped as if holding the weight of the world upon them.

DoraRose continues to sweep for a few more strokes, then warninglessly throws the broom at the wall with a wordless shout.  Slumping to her knees, she wipes away the tears coursing down her cheeks and pulls the thing she found out of her pocket.  Hoding it out to her brother, she sobs, "Leon lost this and I just found it."  It's an acorn pin whose pin is broken.  "We looked for it for weeks, and..."  She can't continue.

Emyuil gazes at the pin sorrowfully.  "I...understand."  He offers an embrace to his sister, whispering, "I'm sorry."

DoraRose allows her brother hug her and goes to bury her face in his chest, weeping uncontrollably.  With one paw she clings to his shirt, and the other forms into a fist.  She weakly hits him on the shoulder, but she's not aiming her sorrowful rage at him.

Emyuil has nothing more to say.  He just holds her, as tight as she'll allow him to, thinking /It's what my father would've done./

DoraRose keeps crying into her brother's chest.  He's right; this is exactly what their father would've done.  Farrer would be proud.  After a while, the Warrior's tears have calmed enough that she's able to say, "You don't hate me, right?"

Emyuil shakes his head. "Never that. Not since...before," he says, referring to the time between DoraRose's departure from Tuscani and their reunion.  "And even then, I couldn't bring myself to. No, sister, I love you."

DoraRose nods and hugs him tightly.  "I love you, too.  It's so hard....I lost my best friend, and my son is who knows where, and I'm trying to be here for everybeast....thanks for being the best brother I ever had," she ends in a whisper.

Emyuil nods.  "You're welcome. And thank you for never giving up on me," he whispers, reluctant to let go of his sister, as if she'll be snatched away from him when he does.

DoraRose nods and holds him close, her face buried in his chest again.  She'll stay in his arms for a long time before she gets back to sweeping....and hen she'll hand him a duster and force him to help.  That's what siblings do, is volunteer each other, right?

~*END*~

Thanks for reading!

Board footer