Redwall MUCK Forum

Redwall MUCK is an interactive, multiplayer text game set in Brian Jacques' Redwall universe.

Visit RWMUCK.ORG for more info!

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-04-21 01:45:44 PM

Ol'random
Website

Seems most Hares are having bad days. - LP 4/19/20

Pvt. Dom (or his effects, at least...),
Cpl. Zolomon,
Sgt. Terrence,
and Mjr. Varus, hares.

In light of recent events, Terrence has taken a far more involved position in his squad. While the initial annoyance with Zolomon's behavior was strong, the sergeant has relaxed somewhat now that his patrol have been trained more or less to his liking. Currently, the sergeant stands watching one half of his unit do parade drills in the middle of the large room, easily marching in formation and in step. "Left face!" He shouts, and the hares follow suit.

Zolomon is somewhat doing some of the training moves and then he just sat down on a bench as if tired of the training session.

"About face!" Terrence barks, though his attention shifts. He hadn't seen Zolomon before now, and the sergeant hadn't had the chance to talk to the corporal for some. "Greenhill?" He says as he passes the group, "Make sure you all continue the drills, then go fo' break." Coming to stop in front of Zolomon, the bespectacled hare sighs. "So, how've you been?"

Zolomon looks at the Sargent and shrugs" Just...fine. Yeah ..still a bit..ya know  why on not telling me a thing. up and leave...no goodbye." And he rambles a little but then "Sorry sur... been distracted" He is still to do training just not outside for another couple weeks

"Fo' a damn good reason, Zolomon." Terrence doesn't ask if he can sit on the bench when he sits. "If I had my flask on me I'd offah it, but I don't. What she did, well, it's horrible, and I can't imagine how it feels." Throwing back his head he stares up at the rocky roof. "Dare say you need a break. Don't know what the brass was thinking expecting you to be alright and all that..."

"Do I heah trainin' in here?" There's that familiar, imperious voice of reason. Varus comes into the room. "Terrence! So glad to see you keepin' th' bloody privates in ship-shape, wot."

Zolomon salutes the Major and remains seated and quiet again as he been quiet most of the past couple weeks.

"Sah!" Terrence, alongside all the other hares in the room, salute, though the sergeant glances sideways at Zolomon. It's clear he's worried. "We need to talk ovah a drink tonight, Zol." He mutters to the corporal, "If anyone complains I'll take the blame as you'h sergeant, as I should've done earlier, alright?" Without waiting for a response the hare calls to the major. "I think they've been getting good enough to keep themselves in shape, sah."

Varus walks along the row of lower-ranked hares, as if inspecting them. He stops before one slouching private. "CHIN UP, Private! No slouchin', eh wot!" He turns away from the unfortunate hare, who breathes a sigh of relief. "Y' look awful, Zolomon. Good grief. Wot're y' doin' in 'ere? Y' look like y' belong in th' bloody Infirmary..."

Zolomon replies "Some...training, I can still do some training sur...well for me not train recruits and privates for another couple weeks and staying inside...." Its true he hasn't really changed his clothing much, ok a couple times he did, he also tripped on a knocked over training dummy earlier but was fine, just a sore nose. "Sorry...sur"

There's a moment or two were Terrence debates spilling Zolomon's secret. In the end, he does. "He's also been having a rough time since Zeldove left him without a bloody word, the faithless rat." The sergeant sits back down on the bench. "If I might speak my mind the badger lord and the rest of brass handled things very, very poorly."

Dominik was nowhere to be found, but his presence most definitely was felt in the form of the various scattered recruits in the training room who are nursing various bumps and bruises...more than likely from the rough and brutal training sessions the large hare had been putting them through. Things had been bad before, but as of late, they had seemingly gotten worse with the news Dom had received, which had soured his mood to the point of taking it out on the students...

Varus looks up to the ceiling and sighs. "It would be unseemly f'r me t' discuss such things. An' that's all I'll say about that." And he makes it clear that he won't discuss it, though he doesn't exactly tell Terrence to drop the subject entirely.

Zolomon speaks, "She should of stayed....I tried to find her...failed and forgot weapons and had the fight with this fox" He frowns, he likely hasn't had much sleep or eating as well as he should.

Terrence grits his teeth at the major's response but doesn't push the issue. Instead he goes to pat Zolomon on the back. "Look, mate, I'm sure we've all done plenty stupid things because of love o' what not. It's unfortunate that Zeldove caused so you much grief, but I wouldn't say its unexpected considering he' track record..." He gives a fake cough. "Ehem, I think you need a drink, eithah way." And so does Terrence. The amount of compliments he's had concerning Dom's 'training', if you could call it that, was more than he was willing to endure.

Varus harrumps. "Like I said, t'would be unseemly t' discuss it. I 'ave mah post t' considah, wot wot." He looks away. "Why on earth are 'alf th' Privates beat up? Terrence, yahr bein' entirely too rough."

Zolomon stands slowly and looks between them with a frown, his plan maybe a little  more training or maybe just get back to his room. Its clear he has not sleep much, stressed and the whole bad diet lately "I am...am..jus...gonn..." He gets out nothing else as he passes out right then and there.

"Am I indeed?" Terrence feigns offense. "And here I thought I was too soft. No," He says, more seriously, "That would be Pvt. Dom's doing. Strictly speaking I didn't ordah him to train them all yet that's whats been happening. I've been meaning to-" He cuts himself off as Zolomon stands, the sergeant rising as well. "Wait, Zol, I was serious about that bre-" And again he's cut off as the corporal falls not quite to the floor, but close. Terrence had caught him. "Greenhill, Reuenthal!" He barks, and the privates run over. "Get the good corporal up and to the infirm, quickly now!"

Varus frowns sharply, both at Terrence's revelation, and at Zolomon's sudden fainting spell. "It was mah ordah, I'm afraid. But it was s'posed t' be undah strict supahvision. I'll 'ave a word wi' Felicity. She's s'posed t' be th' one ovahseein' it..."

Watching the two privates carry Zolomon away, Terrence nods. "I understand. Though Dom's been getting roughah recently - admittedly I've been more occupied with the corporal and dealing with how he more o'h less isn't in my patrol anymore," There is a clear hint of irritation at the last part, "So I've had my paws full."

Varus sighs. "Tha's why I'm havin' a word wi' Felicity. She's obviously shirkin' 'er duties an' not keepin' an eye on Dominik. I 'ate t' 'ave t' reprimand 'er, especially so soon aftah she was promoted..."

Terrence pales. "Ah. Well." He mutters something to himself. "Sah, if I may perhaps don't be too hard on he'?" With a wince the sergeant continues on, "I mean, well, it's Dom - I doubt he'd listen to anyone anyway... And I probably should've said something to him..."

Varus raises a paw. "Oh, believe me, Dominik's gettin' a long lecture, too. I'm this close t' suspendin' 'im, eh wot. 'E just doesn't know it  yet. The Patrol is s'posed t' be bloody well tough, but tha' doesn't include beatin' our Recruits 'n' Privates 'alf t' death..."

"Ah. Right." Terrence lets an award silence fall between them for a bit. "Well, alright then. Of course, sah, if Zolomon ends up like the last hare who was in house arrest and gets moved to the damn homeguard like Zeldove, I'll gladly take Dom into my patrol. That way I can yell at him." He chuckles, slightly, though there is genuine fear of what he said about the corporal.

Varus chuckles drily. "I 'ave no doubt that y' will, wot. C'mon. Let's get a drink, then. I'll see wot I c'n say t' the brass. I'm just a Majah, but y've seen mah medals, eh wot. I command a certain respect from 'em, regahdless..."

Terrence dips his head, standing. "Thank you." The sergeant pauses for a moment, staring at the place Zolomon dropped. "It's a pity he couldn't join us - I think he needs a very stiff drink and some talking to that isn't just reprimand, but oh well. Shouldn't be surprised he passed out again."

Varus hmmms. "Tha's due in no small paht because I turned down a promotion back in th' day, because I preferred t' remain in th' field, rathah th'n sit be'ind a desk." He shrugs. "Then o' course I retired when I felt I'd done mah paht." He claps Terrence on the shoulder. "You'll be a Majah someday. 'Eed mah words. Don't let 'em put y' be'ind a damned desk."

The prospect of being a major seems more terrifying than anything else. "I try not to think too fah ahead fo'h that very reason." Terrence says, "And I've got enough to deal with as a sergeant. Plus desk work can't find me as I am, not unless I pull some stunt like certain hares."

Varus shrugs. "I think there's little chance o' that, Terrence. Y've got a long career ahead o' yahrself, wot. Don't y' worry 'bout that..."

"Eh, hopefully." Terrence replies, "Though," He falls quiet, thinking for a moment, "Though I have been pondering why I'm here. It certainly isn't fo'h the uppah brass and all the mistakes they and ou'h deah badgeh lord have made, no sah-ee. But that's me whining about things I have no say in, so please excuse me fo'h that."

Varus fixes the younger hare with a look. "I should caution y' wot y' say, laddie buck. Jus' remembah. Anyway..."

"You'd be right to caution me," Terrence lets out a sigh, "Though I daresay I'm not the most afraid of what will happen. I do happen to have more skills than soldiering, so exile would be perfectly fine if a bit lonesome at first, and it's not like they have the guts to execute me..." Another sigh escapes him before the sergeant raises his a paw. "And before you say anything, I get that I should nevah say anything like this and sow discontent in any of the corporals o'h privates o'h recruits. O'h the bloody brass, fo'h that matter. I'm not that dense." He gives a humorous chuckle, shaking his head.

"Yahre one o' th' brightest soldiahs we've evah had," counters the Major, "Wi' a promisin' career. I won't let y' throw it away, eh wot. So I'll give yah as much leeway as I c'n bloody well manage."

There's a part of Terrence that wants to wink and joke, isn't that corruption in the ranks? But he restrains himself for now. "Eh, thank you, sah. I'll try not to be too radical myself, and I certainly will do my best to not throw this all way - unless I absolutely have to. Hopefully that will not come to pass." Putting his paws in his trousers' pockets, the sergeant looks down at the ground. "No, I've just frustrated with recent events and saying things I don't quite mean."

Varus looks at the Sergeant. "We've all 'ad those thoughts, at one time or anothah, but th'n y' think about th' defenseless creatures we watch out f'r. Th' Western Shore... 'Alyahd. Mossflowah. Redwall Abbey. All those beasts out there, f'r which th' name 'Long Patrol' means 'ope... An' th'n petty bickerin' an' rivalries fade away, eh wot..."

At the mention of Redwall Terrence scowls. "I will say I will nevah forget what happened in that cursed place, o'h how ou'h lord lost nearly all the hares that went with him. I can't imagine the name Long Patrol means anything there besides death..." Letting out a long sigh the sergeant calms. "Oh well. You're right. We'll do ou'h best fo'h those creatures, and I'll promise you that."

Varus frowns. "Tha' wasn't our Lord's fault. That wasn't. It was all our faults. Ovahconfidence, lad. Ovahconfidence. A mistake we've all learned from. Now, come. I'll tell y' 'ow brave yahr fathah was back in th' day..."

"Perhaps. And thank you, but I'd rathah speak about the living than him." Terrence sighs. "My fathah was certainly overconfident." Shaking his head the sergeant starts off for the door. "Do you play cards? I think I saw a deck in the rec room."

Varus hmmphs, and exits the room. "I play a mean paw o' pokah. Lonely days when I was youngah. Olivia doesn't approve, don't y' know..." his voice trails off as they move down the corridor.

I play Atticus, John, Lossow, Terrence, and Spruce
The Long Patrol Landing Page!
Usually on the MUCK Saturdays + Monday & Wednesday evenings if I have the time
Fastest way to reach me is via my Discord: Luke_SkyOtter#1438

#2 2020-05-11 02:52:00 PM

BlisaMarshmellow

Re: Seems most Hares are having bad days. - LP 4/19/20

Um, Varus and I didn't OOCly (or even ICly) discuss Felicity being in charge of Dom training people.  Just of her helping him get better from being Erg.  Also, that just has the assumption that just because I'm not on very often, Lissie isn't keeping up her work with Dom, even though we have discussed things where they ICly interact for us to say happened, even when we're not able to RP them out.  Varus needs to stop saying things about other's people's characters without their permission.

#3 2020-05-12 02:27:04 AM

Ol'random
Website

BlisaMarshmellow wrote:

Um, Varus and I didn't OOCly (or even ICly) discuss Felicity being in charge of Dom training people.  Just of her helping him get better from being Erg.  Also, that just has the assumption that just because I'm not on very often, Lissie isn't keeping up her work with Dom, even though we have discussed things where they ICly interact for us to say happened, even when we're not able to RP them out.  Varus needs to stop saying things about other's people's characters without their permission.

I don't know what to say beyond that besides I didn't think of that at the time and I'm sorry.

However, I will make a side note about this particular log and nothing else discussed on the forums:
While I cannot and should not speak for Varus' player, I was under the impression Felicity was by default in charge of Dom by nature of her being the sergeant (ie commanding officer who is responsible for the actions of their subordinates) of the squad Dom is in, thus making her responsible for his actions by nature of her position as sergeant.  I realize that probably isn't the main issue with what was said in this log at all, but I honestly don't know what to say about the rest of it.

Unless the issue involves me directly I really shouldn't say anything beyond begging everyone to please take a moment to think before typing and (tentatively) give the benefit of the doubt before accusing someone.

I apologize for the curtness of this reply, I don't mean to come off a sharp or rude

Last edited by Ol'random (2020-05-12 02:34:26 AM)

I play Atticus, John, Lossow, Terrence, and Spruce
The Long Patrol Landing Page!
Usually on the MUCK Saturdays + Monday & Wednesday evenings if I have the time
Fastest way to reach me is via my Discord: Luke_SkyOtter#1438

#4 2020-05-12 02:57:21 PM

BlisaMarshmellow

You're not sharp or rude, and I really should've posted my reply the moment I read this log in the first place.  I just got drawn into the forums drama when I really should've been emailing Otter more. 

I will say that asking in a room-page if someone has permission to say that about someone else's character is something we all should be doing. 

Thank you for making your point.  It needed to be heard.

Board footer