Redwall MUCK Forum

Redwall MUCK is an interactive, multiplayer text game set in Brian Jacques' Redwall universe.

Visit RWMUCK.ORG for more info!

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-01-31 06:34:50 PM

oz

Time to Fix That Bell-Redwall Log

Who:

Benar- Abbot of Redwall

Gorvenalus- Recorder of Redwall

Xander- Leader of the Mossflower Defenders

Ewan- RW Abbey Resdient LP Hare

Taran- Camp Willow Otter

Lillymoore- Bell Ringer for Redwall Abbey

Dorarose- Gatekeeper of Redwall Abbey

Foremole

Varies Abbey beasts Spoofed

Log:

It is snowing gently, thick flakes drifting down out of the grey clouded sky to coat the Abbey, Mossflower and all who are outside. There is a pool of warmth however where the snow is melting before it reaches the ground, an extra large bonfire built near the entrance to the Bell tower

Inside the Bell tower however is a hive of activity, a large scaffolding has been built up through the center of the tower, the main staircase is all but inaccessible leaving beasts to have to climb the ladders and slanted ramps around the outside of the scaffold. It is hollow in the middle however, a tower within a tower of perfectly cut and joined together wooden poles.

The scaffolding is swarming with moles and squirrels, the odd otter or order member and up near the top is Abbot Benar who is standing with Foremole examining the Matthias bell and more importantly the yoke holding it up. The two moles standing guard at the bottom of the ladder are not letting the curious or the adventurous up, it seems they have a list of who is allowed up and who isn't any if your name isn't on the list they aren't letting you past them.

"Burr aye Abbot, it is as you were saying," Foremole rumbles in his deep voice, "Tha wood be cracked badly, but doyn't be a worryin, we will ave'um tha tackle 'n ropes up soon and we can bring im down."

Benar nods his head and lays a hand on the golden bell, "It will be good to get this fixed, I miss his voice waking us up each morning," He looks over at Methusalah, "You finish up here I am going to go look at Methusalah's yoke," He walks around the edge of the scaffold, leaving the Foremole and his team to work and starts examining the large wooden beam and yoke that holds up the other bell.

LilyMoore comes into the Tower, dressed in warm leggings and a short tunic. And boots, because her mother and grandmother forbid her from leaving the Abbey building without them. She also has on a pretty blue knitted hat. Walking up to the moles, she politely smiles, then proceeds up the stairs when they give her permission. DoraRose comes in, wearing her black leggings and black tunic with a red knitted hat, helping some Order members add a bit more straw to the floor on top of what's already there. The Warrior spreads it around so the layers are a bit more even, then watches her daughter's ascent to the Abbot's side, high up in the Tower. The Gatekeepr grimaces. She never exactly liked heights. Hopefully she'll be most helpful down below, instead of up on the scaffolding.

Taran is here to help, if he can and seems glad to not be up high, after all birds and squirrels can be up there but he can bring anything in that's needed perhaps, or hold the rope below when told.

Gorvenalus is up in the scaffolding, not necessarily close to Foremole and the abbot but up here all the same, just not up as high as the others. He is making sure things are going well and lets one mole know he can go ahead back to the ground level."All seems good so far."

Xander came to help, be one of the strong beasts to give a paw slowly getting the bell down. He brought with him a couple of the stronger members of the Defenders. An otter and a fox, no worries the fox is on the abbey's side. He stays where he is as he has no clue what to do and is just basically waiting on instructions.

Ewan peeks inside and frowns, "Should I help or am I needed? I can reply messages....oh...dear.."He frowns after looking up and then decides bad idea "That's high up...how are they not worried? How are they ..standing there all calm like?" A novice beside him shrugs.

"Ayup Miss Lily," Foremole says with a tug on the brim of his cap,, "We'erum nearly ready, take this'um rope if you would be a lass," He holds out a very thick, nearly half a foot thick rope to the mouse, "An be lowering it down ta tha floor."

The foremole then turns back to his crew who are working the other end of the rope into a block and pulley system and then attaching it to the Matthias. Benar wanders down a ladder and moves to stand next to Gorvenalus.

"It's quite ingenious the method the foremole has come up with," He says, "Once the rope is down the beasts on the ground will take its weight and feed it back up and the bell will lower," The grey squirrel looks up at it, "I don't really understand the engineering behind it all but the foremole seems to know what he is about."

Down on the floor one of the squirrels working on the scaffolding comes over to the gathering of others, "Miss DoreRose, Master Xander, Master Taran, guests all," she looks around, "We'll be receiving the lower end of a

LilyMoore nods and does as she's told, using both paws to hold on to the huge rope. She's calm -- why wouldn't she be? She's in one of her favorite places in the world! Butterclaw the Sparra is nowehere to be seen -- he's helping with the other birds, and they're helping with the Dibbuns within the main Abbey building and beginning to wish they weren't. DoraRose nods and looks up again. "Will we be going up as a counterweight? I'm okay with that, I'd just like some warning." She's ready to help, she just needs to know if she's going to be high up, is all.

Taran nods as he steps over to help with the rope "Ok"He says quietly, he did offer to help after all and so he is helping.

Gorvenalus nods as he puts his paws behind his back "It is interesting. Willowbark had a bell tower but it was destroyed, I know Ferravale has one now but they only have the one bell that was given to them"He smiles"From Willowbark in fact."

Xander nods as he goes to get the rope to help"Ready when you are."

Ewan walks over slowly, well it is on ground level after all "Where do you need a hare at? I can help, I think so anyways."He doesn't look up through as he is likely to get dizzy, he never liked the crater at the mountain yet he had to go up there a couple times and made sure he stayed away from the edge...far away from it.

The squirrel laughs softly at DoraRose's question, "not at all Miss DoraRose," She points at a very large rock nearby that several of her team are securing in a web of rope, "That thar rock is the counterweight, you pull tha rope, it goes up, the bell comes down, is quite the little mix of pulleys and weights so fear not yer feet will be staying firmly on tha ground, be warned though it be heavy and hard work."

"Good Lad Taran," She grins, "That's the spirit lad," She then checks everyone is holding the rope and spaces them along so they can all heave on it as needed, "Just 'ere, it's Ewan isn't it? Our resident hare? Good so hold on and be ready ta pull."

Up in the tower Benar shakes his head and looks out a window toward the north, "I have seen Ferravale's belltower... it could do with more buttressing at the bottom or it'll collapse during the first earth tremor like ours did originally but I haven't wanted to comment on it to Blisa, they are all so proud of it and I just can't ever seem to work out the best time to raise the topic. I'd like them to learn from our mistakes not have to live through them."

Foremole looks down and then over at Lily, "Ok lass, oop on tha bell, yer riding tha guide," he clambers onto the webwork of ropes now ringing the bell, "See 'ere," he gestures at the large rope, "Keep an eye on it, it needs ta run through and stay central or it might tip or start ter spin, think ye ken do tha for us lassie?"

On the ground the squirrel madam hops up onto the counterweight and holds onto the central rope, "Ok everyone, seize tha there rope and be ready for me signal."

LilyMoore grins widely. "I'll do my best!" As she starts to carefully climb onto the bell, her mother of course just happens to look up right at that moment. "Lily, be careful! If you fall, so help me..." The Bellringer gets a firm grip on the rope and waves to her mother below, being careful not to lean. "Don't worry, I'll be careful!" She positions herself to where she can have the rope in question in sight at all times. DoraRose grabs the rope and turns to the squirrel. "Well, I can do hard things, and heavy lifting isn't new to me. I bet as a team we'll have it done in no time." She braces her feet and paws, ready as she could ever be.

Taran nods as he gets good grip and waits on the signal, he listens very carefully.

Gorvenalus hmmms as he listens "Well let's hope nothing like that ever happens again, I have read little of it but heard not so good stories of that events from seasons ago" He stays beside Benar as he speaks and watches the beasts work as he speaks.

Xander nods, he has a good grip on the rope just like the others do as he just slightly listens to what is said and pays close attention.

Ewan nods "Yes..Ewan..."Yeah no time for long names he will just do what is needed to do, he is a little concerned as this is the first time he has done something like this, but a deep breath and he is ready.

"Alright then!" The squirrel shouts up, "We're ready down here Chief!"

Foremole checks lily is ok one last time then hops off the bell to go over to a series of levers attached to some sort of gear and rope and pulley system. He pulls a lever and there is a clunk, "Ok brace yerselves!"

The squirrel leading the ground team grins, "Ok everyone here we go, brace yerself and be ready," she shouts up, "Go Chief!"

The foremole throws another lever and the Matthias bells is suddenly free and everyone on the ground will feel a sudden increase in the strain on the rope. Not a lot but enough to give a feel that things are ready, "Byrr o'kay," the foremole calls, "I be pullin tha break so start ta pull yer all!"

LilyMoore stays steady on the bell, refusing to look away from the rope that is her responsibility. DoraRose feels the tension, alright, and she adjusts her stance slightly, suddenly very glad she's so strong. That bell is heavier than it looks. She tried to brace herself mentally for how heavy it is, but having never done this with any bell before, she simply had no way of knowing. But she's quickly readjusting her expectations as she prepares to pull on the rope.

Taran nods, he is able to handle the slight weight suddenly without too much of a problem, just a slightly tighter grip on the rope and he is ok.

Gorvenalus watches from where he is, things seem to be going well so far. He looks at all the pullies and things "I must say...this is interesting setup and does make this a lot easier indeed...hope its just as easy to place it back up as well, then we repeat with the other bell"

Xander was ready and already griped the rope better and made sure his foot paws didn't slide, he takes a deep breath and then exhales...ok he is ready as he can be as just listens and moves slow when needed and only slightly faster when needed, this is a take it slow and steady sort of thing and he knows that as he keeps his focus the whole time.

Ewan frowns,ok this is...it's good right? He is doing fine so far...right?" This is..going good..right?"He glaces up once and then just straight ahead. He is stronger than he seems to think he is, it's just not something he is use to doing, but he also isn't refusing to help. He will stay and help.

As the party on the rope pull the large rock the squirrel is standing on lifts off the floor then starts to rise! And the Matthias begins to lower... each heave, each inch the rock lifts is an inch the Matthias lowers and soon enough the rhythm is going nice and steady as bell and rock exchange positions.

Foremole and the squirrel call back and forth to each other and the bell sways gently as it descends, "How we be looking Lilymoore? We being on tha' thar straight n narrow m'lassy?"

LilyMoore takes a deep breath. "So far, so good! I'll let you know if it goes awry.....hopefully it won't." DoraRose continues to pull on the rope, silently wondering why she put herself at the front of this little group. It's not an issue, she's just questioning her decision on her position. But mostly she's focused solely on the task at...paw smile

Taran keeps the grip on the rope, his foot paws slips forwards once but he manages to get a good grip still and get into a better position again.

Gorvenalus watches and lets the foremole and squirrel handle this as they better know this sort of stuff than he does. He is watching though and will write about this in his log book for beasts to read, even seasons from now read about this. He glaces at Benar and then back to the lowering of the bell.

Xander nods slowly, stays focus and a strong grip as the bell is lowered. He makes sure no one slips that is helping with the rope, even encouraging them "We can do this..it's going well."

Ewan frowns, ok just get the bell lower and lower to the ground then they all can go in for tea and scones, tea and scones is always good and a way to calm the nerves.

The Matthias continues to descend, inch by inch, the counterweight goes up, soon the rock and the bell pass each other and the squirrel riding it waves at Lily, "Doing good lass, keep an eye on it though!"

The rock and bell pass, the bell continues down and a group of moles wheel a large cart into place beneath the bell ready to accept it as it comes down. Benar loops his tail around the scaffolding and leans out to watch, "Looking good Foremole, nearly there! Keep it up everyone!"

LilyMoore hasn't taken her gaze off the rope this entire time, and she doesn't do so now. To keep her mom from being upset, she doesn't let go of her paw holds to wave back, either, but she does grin at the squirrel's compliment. DoraRose continues to pull, focusing on the task at hand and letting the moles and squirrels and whoever worry about carts and straw and keeping everybody from dying and stuff. Although keeping a good grip on the rope will help people not die, so maybe this is the perfect job for a Warrior....

Taran looks up and smiles, ok so over half way down, that's a good thing.

Gorvenalus watches and also makes sure Benar is being careful as well."Careful there Benar" He says quietly as he watches the bell lower and the rock go up,"So where will we be repairing the bell anyways?" He is curious if its inside or somewhere on the grounds.

Xander keeps his grip, steady..steady as he stays focus, it may seem like it's taking a while but it's ok and better to be safe after all.

Ewan peeks up and then quickly forwards again"It's..almost down, that's good..then we can all rest and relax again." He's doing fairly well helping.

The Abbot chuckles at Gorvenalus and moves back onto the platform, "Don't worry so Gorvenalus, I've climbed taller things then this scaffolding, anyway shall we head down? It is nearly there."

Ten feet left, then seven, six, four, two and with a soft chime as the bell settles onto the waiting wagon it is down. The counterweight is all the way up top and the moles move into secure it as the Foremole settles the locks and brakes on his machinery.

"Arr tha be it all! Goodun work everybeast! We'llum be getting tha yoke down next her abbot so tha carpenters can fit tha new one!"

Benar waves and calls down, "Good work everyone, very well done!"

LilyMoore smiles satisfactorily as the bell comes to a rest on the cart. Standing, she strikes a pose as her mother releases the rope and walks over to the cart. "Good job, honey," she says, holding out her paws to help her daughter down. The Bellringer grins mischievously, then slides down the bell and jumps to the floor. DoraRose rolls her eyes, but she can't help but return her daughter's grin. "You're a rascal, Sweetheart." "I know, Momma," is the cheeky reply.

Taran looks up once the bell is down"Is the yoke hard to get down or are the moles handleing that?"He stays close to where he is.

Gorvenalus smiles and nods "Down sounds good my friend and maybe everyone can go inside for a little rest."He will head down when the abbot does.

Xander relaxes only after he knows all is well and stays nearby to see if help is still needed, he nods to the one otter and fox, it's ok if they go off for now and he looks over at Benar and Foremole.

Ewan smiles "Ok ..all is good, all went well then I wasn't worried" Yeah he was a little bit but he is not saying that to anyone here.

Benar comes down the last ladder, "Foremole and the Abbey Carpenter are working on that, now the bell is down the rest is just woodwork," he smiles, "So come along everyone, the Kitchen staff have been roasting us a well done supper out at the Bonfire, mulled cider and a snack for everyone i think."

LilyMoore pumps a fist into the air. "Yes! Race you!" The exuberant and hyperactive Bellringer dashes out the door. DoraRose looks to the heavens. "Oi.....because her adventure riding the bell wasn't enough for one day..." and she heads out the door, too. After they have their cider and snack, they go back about their business, with Lily rescuing her bird friends from the Dibbuns. Birds are not pillows, no matter how fluffy they are, so you shouldn't sleep on them.

Gorvenalus chuckles as he walks over to Benar"Seems today went very well, hopefully it will not take too long to fox what is needed to fox and get the bell back up once again."

Xander walks over "I will help again for when the bell needs back up and when the other one is needed down and back up again"

Ewan watches the others "That was different and interesting never helped take a bell down before" He smiles at the idea of a snack"Snacks are always good to have anytime of the day"

Benar says, "Indeed today went very well, we can have the bell properly polished and checked over as well whilst it is down and the carpenter works on the wood," he stands near the fire and holds up his cup of cider, "Thank you everyone.""

Gorvenalus watches as some beasts nod, others chat among them,self's as the beaver gets some cider and sips it"We will have to do something once both bells are fixed and polished and once more ready to be rang"

Xander nods "Your welcome" He gets a snack and a drink and sits down on one of the chairs that was brought outside, not too many chairs and some beasts got their drink and snack and went inside, some stayed outside to chat.

Ewan smiles, he stays where the fire is and just seems to like the company of the other beasts"This sort of reminds me of once when they had a bonfire on the beach on the western shores...I forgot why now, it was a few weeks before we went to leave to help out here"

Benar says, "A good bonfire outside and a warm drink and friends is always welcome Ewan, but if you will excuse me I need to go thank Foremole and his crew," he nods to everyone and heads off to talk to the Foremole who has just come out of the Bell Tower."

Gorvenalus smiles as he sips his cider"It has been a good day. I shall write of it later...later though after I enjoy this."

Xander chuckles "It was nice out here....yeah I know it sounded odd...I meant the fire and friends is nice....company, it's good"He smiles as he sips some cider.

Ewan smiles,"Yeah..friends...friends are good to have always"

Gorvenalus heads inside once most of the others do before he goes to bed writes down the events of today in the logs book.

I play:
Brother Gorvenalus-Redwall Abbey Recorder,  Private Cole,a runner, of the Long Patrol
Oz( Yes named after Papa Oz) young adult and Novice in Redwall.

Board footer