Redwall MUCK Forum

Redwall MUCK is an interactive, multiplayer text game set in Brian Jacques' Redwall universe.

Visit RWMUCK.ORG for more info!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-12-12 12:27:34 PM

Montamillion

One Last Drink... (LP, Halyard Tavern RP, 12/9/18)

Setting: Halyard Tavern

Characters: Marriana (LP Recruit, female hare), Monty (LP Private, male hare), Tarsa (LP Sargeant, female hare), Patch (male rat), Adrian (LP Corporal, male hare)

Scene: Private Montgomery and Corporal Adrian make one last stop in the Halyard Tavern before they leave in the morning on their recruiting mission. Adrian's intent is for one last drink, but Monty seems to have other reasons. Or -reason-.  *coughNERDcoughcough*
--------------------

Marriana whistles a ditty as she drinks and occupies her usual seat at the bar, taking in some more whiskey. Halyard has agreed well with her, it would seem. No vermin have bothered her either on the streets, in the alleyways, or in the tavern. Most give her a wide berth, and that's evident by how there's a few empty tables behind her. In front of her as she drinks, the doe has a book with big pictures in it that she's flipping through, trying to make sense of the story going on between the pictures and softly cursing her inability to read.

It had finally arrived...it was the evening before the day that Private Montgomery and Corporal Adrian were set to head out on their journey to find more recruits to bolster the ranks of the Long Patrol. All the preparations had been finished and all the last minute tasks had been handled adequately, and so Monty suggested one last stop in Halyard before they left in the early morning. The reasoning behind this was not particularly emphasized, though it was more than likely that Adrian knew why. Nevertheless, the door to the tavern opens and Monty peeks his head in, his hopeful gaze sweeping around the tavern, alighting on each particular member present, and drifting away from each one in disappointment as he doesn't spot who he was looking for. Finally, right as he is about to turn and leave, he sees Marriana sitting at the bar. His expression lighting up for a brief moment before quickly shifting back to his stoic one, the young buck steps fully into the tavern, dressed in his new Patrol uniform and looking much more poised, distinguished and Patrollike than the usual disheveled mess he is on most days.

Marriana doesn't notice the incoming buck, her attention still on the book in front of her, her whiskey glass in a fist as she keeps trying to contemplate what the pictures are showing her in terms of the story. She should've known better than to get a big book of mostly words. Frowning sadly, she shuts the book and sighs, taking a big gulp of the strong liquor and then knocks the glass on the bar, signalling the barkeep for a refill. She nods a thank you as she's poured another glass.

Monty hesitates at the door, taking a moment to glance back over his shoulder to peer out at someone briefly. He shrugs at whoever it may be, before giving them what amounts to a dirty look...in the most good humored way possible, of course. Clearing his throat, Monty finally turns and makes his way into the tavern. As he approaches where Marriana is seated, he notes her disappointment and frustration, and upon spotting the book nearby, he can put two and two together and generally figure out the reasoning. The buck stands behind Marri for a brief moment, trying to figure out what might be the best thing to say, and he waffles over it for likely longer than he probably should have. At this point, she can likely sense his presence there or at least hear him shuffling his feet behind her as he fidgets. "Er..."

Tarsa is also around, sort of a forced day off but she did need a day off after all and she is out of uniform as she walks into the tavern.

The seated doe blinks, her ears shooting straight up and she spins her upper body, a balled up fist swinging to backfist whoever snuck up behind her. But she gasps, her fist stopping mere inches away from Monty's poor, possibly unsuspecting face. "Monty!" She sighs and relaxes as she slumps back on her seat. "Corks! Don't do that again, mate!" She laughs, and one may notice her speech is actually slightly slurred. This could be the first time anybeast has actually seen her at least tipsy. She offers a big smile. "Look at you, all tidied up and ready for your big mission. Seriously, I wish I could go with ya, but I've not been drummed-in yet an' given me proper dress an' all."

Monty figured it was likely a bad idea to sneak up on someone, let alone someone whose drinking seemed to enhance her fighting ability, and so this is generally confirmed as Marri suddenly whirls around and swings a fist in the direction of his face. "Yeek!" The hare lets out a squeak as he finds himself staring at a fist hovering about an inch away from his face, his eyes going wide as he is about to throw both his paws up in defense. Luckily, Marri recognizes him and does not follow through with said punch, and as she relaxes, so does Monty. Just a little. Blinking, still stunned, the young buck scratches at an ear. "Er, yeah. Yeah, s'probably not th'best idea...t'sneak up on someone. Specially at th'bar, y'know. Sorry, won't happen again, scout's honor..." He bites his lip for a moment, whiskers twitching. He grins, peering down at himself as she mentions his uniform, and he nods to his friend. "Oh, er, yeah, had t'make m'self look presentable for once in m'life, they said I'm representin' th'Patrol an' can't look like I came outta th'rag-bag, heh." He chuckles. "And we coulda definitely used your skills out there, but you'll have a grand ol'time gettin' t'know everyone in th'mountain instead." Monty turns and gives Tarsa a nod as he notices her there too, though out of uniform.

Tarsa nods a hello and speaks "Hallo Private....I do hope all is well" Simple tone as she is relaxing and even gets an ale and lays out the needed coins when the drink comes. she also knows a hello to the other hare when she sees her.

Marriana nods and says, "Ah, and ya def'nitely don't look like you're all raggidy-taggidy at all!" She stands up and smiles at him, looking Monty up and down before offering a wave hello to Tarsa, "Heya!" She then turns back to the buck and sighs softly, "I did promise I was...gonna look after your garden. I'll do me best."

Monty gives Tarsa a quick salute, before he smiles in her direction. "All is peachy, sah, thank you for askin'. Makin' a few final preparations before Adj...I mean, er...Corporal Adrian..." he catches himself..."and I head out into th'wild unknown in th'mornin'." As Marriana stands and looks him over, he can't help but try to stand just a liiiittle extra taller, his ear perking and nose twitching as he does his best to look presentable. "Sargeant Tarsa, this is Marriana. She is our newest recruit an' will be joinin' ya at th'Mountain in th'next day or so. Marriana, this is Sargeant Tarsa. She's one of our best officers, y'know..." Monty winks to Tarsa, before glancing back at Marriana. "Oh! Oh, er, right, right, I did ask y'that, didn't I?" He smiles sheepishly. "I'm not worried in th'least, I know th'garden will be in th'best possible paws it can be in. Us farmin' hares know our stuff, yeah?"

Tarsa nods again "Hallo...I am sure you will be a welcome member of the long patrol, we are in need of a few good hares"

Marriana offers a salute to Tarsa, even if she is not a fully-fledged Long Patrol hare yet. "Glad to meetcha, marm. And I have heard, though I'm 'fraid so have the vermin 'round town. Just a suggestion, but maybe we shouldn't be spewin' 'bout there bein' lack o' hares in the LP, eh wot?" She then smiles at Monty and says, "Of course we do, mate! We tophole at knowin' how t' get the seeds a-sproutin', wot!" Despite her smile, her eyes sort of betray a sort of sad look in them.

Monty gives a nod to Tarsa. "Y'should see how this one fights, sah..." He motions with a paw to Marriana. "She took out three bloody vermin all by 'er lonesome, she did! You shoulda seen it!" Monty grins, the buck still obviously impressed from the other night judging by the fawning. "I think her addition's gonna be a valuable one in th'long run. Hey, who knows, she might even move up th'ranks pretty quick, too!" The buck laughs, still not having taken a seat just yet, if he was even planning on doing that at all anyway. It seems his purpose for being here has already been forgotten in the discussion. "It's'th'truth, lass, y'wouldn't want anyone else bein' in charge of alla that! If yer as good at gardenin' as y'are at fightin', I got nothin' t'worry about at all!" He does note the sad look, and he tilts his head. "Er, everythin' okay, Marri?"

Patch walks in...just in time to hear how great a hare is in the room, he rolls his eyes and goes to order a drink "Dark ale and make it snappy not got all day ya know" Yeah..rude as ever is this rat. He does glance at the hares briefly.

Tarsa takes a sip of ale" Never said anything on numbers...the LP always welcomes new recruits."She looks at Patch and takes another sip of her ale "Least some slavers were taken care of recently."

Marriana nods a little to Tarsa. "All right, marm. I've just remember hearin' somebeast talkin', and...well, word gets 'round, wot." As Monty asks her what's going on, her bit of a smile returns and she says, "Wot? No, no, everythin's fine, Monty. Just...everythin's fine."

Monty knows more than anyone else what it's like to have issues that one is not particularly keen to talk about, especially in public, and so as Marriana responds that everything is fine, Monty nods and smiles in return. "Oh, er, alright. Y'jus' looked a little downtrodden, is all. But I'm not gonna pry, t's none o'my business." The buck gives a glance over at Patch as the rat enters the room, watching him for a moment. It is quite obvious Monty is in the Patrol, he is wearing a brand new uniform and is looking particularly sharp this evening. Eyes narrowing, Monty shakes his head before glancing back to Marriana. "So, er, y'know...I wanna apologize about what happened t'other day here. I probably should have been here sooner, an' maybe none o'that woulda happened. It's unacceptable wot those blaggards were sayin' t'you."

Patch snorts "A upset hare maid..that's funny right thar....hee hee..you hares and so called heroes talk a lot don't ya and guess like this here tavern" He drinks half his ale after he gets it and smirks.

Tarsa mutters something about annoying rats and stands "I need to go find someone who is supposed to be here with me...excuse me"

Marriana frowns a little as the rat speaks and then sighs, shaking her head before waving a farewell to Tarsa as she departs. The doe clears her throat and says, "Well...uhm, I do hope you, uh...get back safely, Monty."

Adrian pushes his way into the tavern past a couple of weasels. He's been busy placating his dear ol' ma, and now he just wants one last drink at his favorite watering hole. "Oy, Monty," he says, waving, "An' Miss Marriana!" He smirks, almost teasing the other buck about having a crush, but he thinks better of it. "'Ey, Barkeep, gimme some ale, will ya?"

Monty's gaze returns to Patch at his words and the buck stares at him, eyebrows raising before a smirk comes to his muzzle. "Word must not get aroun' much in your neck o'th' woods, bucko. If y'think we're all talk, why don't y'go ask th'Dark Foxes an' th'Blackrose about how much we talk. Oh wait...y'can't, cuz we wiped em both out." Monty grins, before turning his attention back to Marriana. He finds himself starting to turn red again upon hearing her words, for whatever reason, and he smiles a goofy smile. "Oh. Er. Yeah. Well, erm..." He lifts a paw to scratch at the back of his head..."Thank y'much, lass, I'm hopin' we, er...we do, as well. Hard tellin' what we're gonna end up runnin' into out there, y'know..." At this point, Adrian finally comes into the tavern, and Monty looks in his direction, lifting a paw in a wave. "Ey, Adj. Our last night in th'area, figure we might as well grab a couple o'drinks before we head out, yeah?" Then he simply waits for any and all comments from his best friend. He seems surprised when they don't arrive.

Patch tilts his head "Blackrose?" Seems he knows that name and chuckles "Yeah yeah...ya funny hare...ohhhhh great more bunnys are coming, whatss with all de bunnys is his High might Lord Stripy gonna be here soon too?"

Marriana cocks an eyebrow at the rat, but smiles as she looks to Adrian and Monty. "Yes! Go on and have a drink. Be the last chance ya'll have at a decent swig o' somethin' till ya get back." She wanders back to the bar where she was sitting before standing to speak to Monty and Tarsa. Her whiskey glass is still almost full from her last refill until she throws her head back and swallows it all in a single swallow before tapping the bar for another. "One more, barkeep!" The large book in front of her spot remains shut. She's done with the frustration for one day.

Adrian takes a seat at the same table as Monty. He certainly could tease the Private, and he almost did. "Aye, yer right, Marri... Not many places as good as this..." He lowers his voice to a conspiratorial whisper, and says to Monty, "Don't evah tell anybeast, but this place 'as bettah drinks than wot we got at th' Mountain. It's jus' a shame it's overrun wi' bloody vermin, wot..." 

Monty smirks over at Patch. "I don't think that's somethin' y'wanna see, lad..." he chuckles. Grinning, he nods to Marriana, "Aye, yeah, you're probably right, Marri. We'll probably end up drinkin' nothin' but bloomin' river water th'entire time we're out there." He shrugs, "I mean, not that there's anythin' WRONG with that, cuz we need t'drink water t'stay alive, but...it's not th'same as th'stuff in here, yeah? Hey, could y'imagine if there were like, rivers full of cider n'all that? That'd be bloody wonderful, it would!" Aaaand there goes Monty on a tangent, the buck with a silly grin on his muzzle as he speaks. He looks to Adrian as his friend sits down, and he nods to him. "Oh, no shame in admittin' that, Adj. But t'be honest, it's their job t'make good drinks. In th'Mountain, I think it's kinda secondary..."

Patch just shakes his head and downs some more ale "Badgers don't scare me....bunny" He leaves it at that and just looks towards a couple ferrets fighting over some sort of paper and smirks a little"I like it ere..least till I gets a job but thats gonna be a while"

Marriana giggles as she listens to Monty's tangent. "Aye! Though, I will admit, I'd prob'ly never be able to leave the river's banks." She takes a sip of her fresh cup of whiskey and crosses her long legs. "The mountain should at least be able t' get some decent drinks, I imagine, if tis second'ry." The doe shrugs and raises her glass. "To a safe and profit'ble journey for you two, wot!"

Adrian raises his mug of ale to toast, also. "Aye, let's 'ope so... Dunno where we're gonna start, though... 'm leanin' toward th' South, though. I wanna see Southswahd." He smiles at Marriana. " Ah, but... Did ya finally speak t' Majah Jinora yet?"

Monty eyes Patch, muttering. "I'll give y'bunny in a minute..." He laughs, picturing the chaotic scene of hordes of drunken beasts of all species sprawled out on the riverbanks of a river filled entirely with ale or cider. "I'm thinkin' lotsa families would be wonderin' where all th'grown adults all disappeared to, eh?" Monty waves a paw to the bartender, "Speakin' o'that, could I have a cider please? Thank y'much!" The buck grins and nods to Marri as she raises her glass, finding himself staring just a tad too long at the doe, before he realizes it and quickly shifts his gaze back to Adrian, the crimson creeping up into his cheeks again. Luckily, his drink is brought over at this time, which his attention immediately diverts to. "So, er...thanks, Marri. We're, er...we're hopin' it's safe an' secondary...I mean, er...safitable...profitable...wot?" He blinks, trying to figure out what exactly it was he had just said, the buck looking puzzled at his own words. "Profisafita-....ble."

Marriana looks back at Monty for an unusually long time, too, and as the buck turns back to Adrian and begins to stammer, she smiles softly, a light pink appearing in her cheeks as she chuckles quietly while she brings the glass of whiskey to her lips to hide the chuckle.

Adrian is not at all oblivious to the lovebirds ogling each other, but he says nothing, merely smirking. "So... Marri... You a recruit yet?"

Monty clears his throat, clearly embarrassed as he finds himself acting like a complete dweeb for like, the third time in as many days. "So, um..." He peers down into his mug, watching the liquid swirling around as he does his best to not spill it. "Adrian had th'idea to, er...to stop in here, y'know...t'see..." He coughs. "Well, t'check an' see if there was anyone we might know...here..." He looks up and over at Adrian with a look that seems to plead, 'help me dude!' "I mean, to say goodbye to, before...we leave. So, I, er...thought it was a good idea...t'come here, just t'see. Cuz y'never know...just who might....be here...an' you were here...so...yeah. It worked out...spiffy-like..." He trails off, then seems to be saved by Adrian asking his question. "Yeah..." He practically buries his face in his mug, not really drinking somuch as hiding. 

Marriana eases her glass down as she hears the question presented by Adrian, feeling a break in the rather embarrassing silence she was having on her end. "Oh! Well, I s'pose I am. I mean, Miss Jinora has pretty much guaranteed me a spot as part o' the LP, so..." She shrugs and then smiles at Monty as he hides his face. The doe offers a bit of a smile of understanding.

Adrian smirks at Monty, then turns to Marri, and says, "Aye, t'was mah idea, wot. But, he," the buck jerks a thumb at his friend, "Was right worried ya might not be 'ere, an' 'e really wanted ta say g'bye, y'know?"

Monty's words are muffled by the mug at first as he speaks, eyes shifting back and forth. "Yeah an' if she wasn't, she wouldn't be able t'watch th'garden like we agreed upon th'other day..." He pauses, pulling his muzzle from the mug. "Oh yeah, that's a thing, Adj. I asked her if she could keep an eye on th'garden when we're gone, cuz she grew up on a farm an' knows her way aroun' plants n'such." Monty beams at the excellent idea...before his expression returns to one of mortification as Adrian pretty much spills the beans. SOMEone is gonna be taking first watch on their first day out. "Wot??? I did? I mean...did I? Do I? I...er...maybe. I did. I guess." Monty glances down, at this point completely beet red. He sighs. "Aye, tis true. I did. Thought it'd be nice t'see ya before we left, is all."

Marriana nods and replies, "Aye, I did. Can't have your garden dwindlin' while you're off doin' your duties, wot." Then as Adrian and Monty speak up about what they were truly doing, the doe finds herself in a bit of a sweet shock, a slow smile coming over her lip as she says, "That's so sweet..." She shifts in her seat oat the bar, her legs still crossed as she turns pink in the cheeks and looks at her amber liquid in her glass.

Adrian grins wickedly at Monty. "See? She thinks it's sweet, wot. Aye, Miss, Mont 'ere think 'ighly of yah... But th'n, so do I, eh? Yah'll be a great Patrollah, wot..." He drinks a long swig of ale after that.

Monty goes to kick Adrian sharply underneath the table, and it takes him a few attempts to get anywhere close. However, the buck smiles. "An' it's appreciated, Marri. There'd be a lot of, er, starvin' hares in th'Mountain...if someone wasn't there to, uh...to watch over...th'garden. Cuz everythin' would die." Thank you, Captain Obvious. Monty gives Adrian that familiar look of death again at his words, before his expression immediately changes as he shifts his gaze towards Marriana. "Well o'course I do, there's nothin' t'not think highly of aboutcha, miss! I mean, Adrian is right y'know. You were born t'be in th'Patrol, wot."

Marriana offers up a smile to the bucks' kind words, smiling to them both. "Seriously, bless ya both. Makin' me all warm an' giddy inside." The doe lets out a sigh, her smile still on her lips. "Dad would've liked it t' be here again. See me becomin' a recruit." The doe then looks to Monty and winks. "Makin' the bucks blush."

Adrian winces, and makes a face, when Monty kicks him hard. "Ow... I mean... 'Ow'd proud yer dad'd be, wot? Right proud, I say, right, Monty? So verrah proud... Th' proudest..." He smiles, awkwardly.

Monty gives a genuine smile, eyes straying towards the doe again and remaining there. "I'm bettin' your daddo couldn't be any prouder of you than 'e is right now, Marri. You're definitely one of a kind, f'sure!" He nods his head in agreement with Adrian's words, "Oh, definitely the proudest!" He grins, at least knowing with satisfaction that he got him with a good kick, if anything else. He does indeed blush at Marri's words, "Doesn't help that I'm a total embarassment t'everyone I've ever bloody known," he chuckles. "Look at me, turnin' about as red as th'beets in th'garden. Pretty soon I'm probably gonna end up turnin' into one afore long. Then where'll I go, eh?"

Marriana chuckles. "In a nice soup, I'd wager." She smirks playfully and sips her whiskey before saying, "And your not an embarrassment. Not at all. At least not t' me."

Adrian nods in agreement, and he looks seriously at his friend. "'Ey, yer not an embarrassment, wot. Yer a hare I'm proud ta call mah friend, alright? 'm not gonna let ya put yahself down, Mont..." 

Monty looks between the two as they both compliment him, and he blinks. He falls silent, briefly, not really sure what exactly to say. Finally, he manages a "...thank y'both, I appreciate y'sayin' that. For awhile there, I wasn't thinkin' I'd ever be a part o'the Patrol ever again after, er...th'incidents..." He glances at Adrian and winces, before continuing. "But here I am, ready t'go out on an important mission with m'best friend, an' meetin' someone like you, Marri..." The buck smiles at her, still quite red, though he doesn't seem to mind. "If I didn't know any better I would think I'd be struck by lightnin' as soon as I set foot out th'door, with my luck...." he laughs, shaking his head. "Then I'd catch on fire or somethin'."

Without saying a word, Marriana shakes her head slowly, reaches over, and proceeds to hug Monty. All while not speaking a word.

Adrian's eyes go wide, but he likewise says nothing. He knows when not to ruin a moment, and right about now his friend does need a hug. He quietly sips his ale and smiles a little.

Monty is certainly taken by surprise as Marriana leans over and hugs him, and it shows upon his face as his eyes go wide as well. "...wot?" His ear perking and nose twitching, the buck isn't -quite- sure of what to do or how to handle the situation exactly. He blinks once or twice, before finally his own paws lift and hesitantly hug Marri in return...weakly, at first, before gradually gaining strength as he realizes it was ok. It was definitely a gesture that he didn't know he'd needed until that very moment, and he leans into the hug, feeling comforted...though also, an odd feeling of not wanting to pull himself away.

Marriana simply smiles as the buck begins to hug her back. She nods a little and pats his back as she does so, finding herself not wanting to let go either. Though, she softly says, "There, there. You're worth a lot, Monty. Don't you bloody forget it either."

Adrian raises his mug. "Aye, don't ya bloody forget it, wot! 'E's only mah best friend in th' whole world, an' 'e doesn't even know it!"

Monty finally, yet hesitantly, pulls himself back from the hug, though the buck finds himself with a huge, goofy grin plastered upon his muzzle as he slips back into his seat. He merely stares off into the distance, chuckling softly, seeming to have drifted off into his own little word. "Hehe..." He seems to snap out of it a little at Adrian's words, and he fixes a curious gaze on his friend as if he hardly even heard him. "Doesn't even know wot?" he blinks, looking from Adrian to Marri, then back again. "Wait, wot were we talkin' about again?" He reaches up a paw to scratch at an ear, innocently.

Marriana chuckles and stands up, draining her whiskey glass in a single gulp and then says, "Simple: how good of a hare you are." She winks and sighs a long, tired sigh. "Forgive me, boys, but I gotta hit th' sack." The doe hugs Monty one more time and says, "Come back soon. An' be safe, yeah?" She then steps over to Adrian and grins as she says, "Take care o' him and make sure he does. Otherwise, I may have t' come out and drag ya boys back." She giggles.

Adrian raises his mug toward Marri. "Aye, I'll do mah best. Dunno wot I'd do if ol' Mont wandahed off an' got 'imself in trouble." He smirks at the other buck. "'E needs all th' 'elp 'e c'n get, wot." He laughs, then adds, "In all seriousness, though... We're Patrol 'ares... We'll come back in one piece..."

As far as Monty is concerned, the second hug is merely a bonus, and it only makes his grin that much wider as he watches Marriana go over to Adrian. "Oh, I'm thinkin' I'll have t'be th'one draggin 'is scut outta t'fire more often than not..." he jokes, apparently quite giddy for some strange reason. "Good luck at th'Mountain, you're gonna do an amazin' job, I c'n promise y'that. An' I want ya t'be th'first one out t'greet us when we return, promise?" Monty grins, before looking over to Adrian with the happiest expression the buck has had in a very long time. "Have a good might, Narri!" He blinks. "Oh. I mean, have a good night, Marri...." One last stumble, of course.

Marriana nods and says, "I'll do me best t' be th' first one out there." She smiles and nods a farewell to the pair of bucks before hiding a giggle with her hand at Monty's little slip. "Goodnight, you two. Do take care!" Then she walks out into the night.

Adrian laughs a bit, and shakes his head. "You *cannot* weasel outta this one, Mont... Yer hooked on 'er..." He's not going to let this die for the whole trip... probably...

“You will find joy, frustration and sorrow in your quest. Never forget that friendship and loyalty are more precious than riches...Happiness can be brief, but it knows no time in the land of dreams.”

Owner of: Monty, Dominik, and Grau

Board footer