Redwall MUCK Forum

Redwall MUCK is an interactive, multiplayer text game set in Brian Jacques' Redwall universe.

Visit RWMUCK.ORG for more info!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-12-08 05:33:43 PM

BlisaMarshmellow

Swords & Former Slaves (LP log 12.8.2018)

SCENE:  Salamandastron forge
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* Salamandastron *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
You are in a fairly large room, the walls rising up around you hewn from
solid rock.  In the center stands a colossal object - the forge.  Steam is
constantly rising from the forge due to the intense fire burning within. 
The typical accessories are set around the perimeter of the forge:
billows, tongs, and a large bucket of cool water.  Lining the walls are
finished and unfinished items ranging from great battle-axes to little
forks.  A large ventilation shaft is above, raised higher than the rest of
the room to permit the rising heat to escape.  Because of the flames the
room is well lit, although quite warm.  Over in the corner of the room is
a small pile of raw ore just waiting to be molded into some implement or
another.

CHARACTERS:
Hares:  Felicity, female.  Gregorian, male.  Hanzi, male.

LOG:
A solitary clanging noise fills the room and echos out into the corridor. It used to be a near constant stream of multiple hammers but today it's just Greg on his own in the forge with a glowing bit of metal, a hammer, an anvil and a lot of notes and diagrams spread out over the nearby workbenches.

Felicity has had a busy past few days.  First was the memorial service on Thursday.  Then...why did she get put in charge of teaching a small group of Recruits about the finer art of sleeping on a beach without getting sand in your clothes?  Is that even possible?  SHE HAS NO IDEA.  She just gave them some pointers.  Then today she decided to practice with her saber, and what should she notice but it needs a polishing?  And of COURSE she's out of polish.  So she's visiting the forge room, and now enters, looking around curiously.  The sabre is hanging in its scabbard at her side, and she seems to be having a little bit of trouble with having it tangle in her legs.  Which makes her trip sometimes....like now.  She's headed towards the buck when it happens, and it ends with her falling to the ground, angrily spouting words that would make anyone nearby thankful that there are no Dibbuns around to hear her.

Sand gets in everything. Eventually you either learn to live with it or you have to move away. That's what they get for choosing to live on a beach. Greg glances towards the door when it opens and sees Felicity just in time to see her trip. He makes no attempt to save her though, forge rules means he instead holds the hot bit of metal he has as far away from her as he can and lets her fall flat on her face. A moment of awkward pause while she swears and then he speaks "Alrigh' there miss?" he moves to put the metal back in the forge where it'll hopefully be safely out the way.

Felicity sighs heavily as she picks herself back up and grasps the sabre's hilt, forcing its other end to stay out from between her legs.  "Oh, aye, I'll be fine, thanks.  I just cannot figah out 'ow m'uncle kept this thing from trippin' 'im up all th' time."  She removes the scabbard from her belt and scowls at the sword.  "Wish I could ask 'im....I can fight with it pretty well, but I still can't walk with it."  She peers at his diagrams and things, staying cautiously away from the hot stuff.  "What'cha up to?  I just came for some polish for m'sword, but what you're doin' looks much more int'restin'."

Hanzi pokes his head in looking around the room.It's unclear why he is in here as he just sort of stayed by the doorway.   

Gregorian stays close to the forge, he doesn't want the metal to get too hot and melt "How have yah been wearin' it?" Greg makes weapons, there's not much he doesn't know about them including how to wear them. He glances over to all the plans strewn about the place "Oh, just tryin' tah finish off a few projects some of the othah smiths left behind. Thought it might help...not all of them kept the best notes though." his ear twitches to the door again before he looks and instantly frowns at Hanzi "Are yah skippin' out on somethin' or are yah on a break?" get the important questions out the way first.

Felicity shows him how she's been wearing the sabre, which isn't completely correct for her body.  She looks at the notes.  "Aye, I bet 'twill 'elp a lot..."  As the door opens, she, too, glances over at the Recruit, but she instead smiles.  However, she lets him answer the Sargeant's questions before she gives her greeting.

Hanzi frowns and comes to attention "I...am not skipping anything." He for once has some time off and is just sort of bored it would appear.

Gregorian nods once and his expression softens back to normal "Good. Carry on then" he says to Hanzi before looking back to Felicity and studying the sabre "Well, it's a mite too big for yah really but yah should try wearin' it furthah back on yah belt, it wants tah swing behind yah legs. Yah might need tah practice drawin' it from the new position though or it'll throw yah off if yah used tah it where it is" as he talks he's getting the metal back out again to start hammering on it once more which probably doesn't help conversation but he barely notices the noise.

Felicity scowls slightly.  "I've nevah used it in battle....well, I did, once, but that was an emergency."  She tries strapping it to her belt further back from where she had it before.  "Maybe there?  'Twas m'uncle's, and I'm more used to m'short sword, but I wanna be able to use it since he's....gone, y'know?"  She's been speaking more loudly now that he's gone back to murdering his metal, and now she turns to the Recruit and gestures for him to join them.  "'Anzi, love, I've been wantin' to talk t'ye, wot!  'Ow're y'settlin' in 'ere at th' Mountain?"  She's trying to be friendly.  She thinks he could use a friend.

Hanzi frowns, what did he do now? He can't think of anything lately "It's...fine...a lot dislike me but that's...ok."He been trying the past few days to do better and he has done better so far.

Gregorian tilts his head at Felicity "Aye, that looks a bit bettah. Walk around a bit, see how it does...Much the same reason I'm tryin' tah sort through this stuff. Don't like tah leave a job unfinished and it's a good week for it" The memorial feast did put him in a mood and there's several smiths who won't be coming back to finish what they started. He's back to hammering, keeping an ear tuned to the pair but he doesn't last for long before he's putting the metal back in to the coals again.

Felicity walks around, and the first thing she notices is that her sword isn't trying to murder her anymore.  A grin breaks over her face.  She glances over at the Recruit and addresses him as she continues to walk, then jog, then walk again, around in a small circle, double-checking the new placement of her sabre.  "Oh?  Well, 'tisn't nice to not 'ave many friends...I know, I've been there."  She stops in front of him, seeming to be satisfied that her sword's in a better place now.  "I was wantin' to talk t'you about yer time with th'Blackrose.  I don't really care too much about them, what with the group I was with killin' their leadah an' all.  I'm more concerned with you.  I bet it was 'ard, 'ow they treated you an' all."  She pauses, then adds, "If y'don't want to talk about it, then that's okay.  But if y'do, be it now or latah, you can come tell me, okay?  I wanted y'to know that."

Hanzi frowns as he looks at the floor and shrugs "It's....the slavers are dead now so good riddance"He frowns "Too bad can't get rid of..everything bout them though"

Gregorian nods as Felicity's sword seems to be behaving "Bettah" He looks satisfied with that too, he's still useful. He listens to the conversation between the other two but he leaves that particular conversation to the doe.

Felicity flashes the Smith a smile, then turns back to the Recruit, her face sobering.  "Aye....I'm sorry they did that t'you.  Y'nevah did anythin' to deserve such treatment.  Nobeast does."  She opens her mouth to say more, then silently shuts it.  She's not sure what she could say, anyway.  How in the world do you comfort a former slave?  This is so hard...

Hanzi is just quiet, silent and seems to let the room be quiet to the point it's likely just hammering noise 'til he speaks again after what seems like forever "Ya know..they marked their slaves...a tattoo and tattoos don't like...go away, they stay...the slavers had their own...lot more fancy like it was...the slaves a lot more simple one...just a outline of a rose..no thorns or vines or leaves just the outline as if someone drew it but didn't want it colored in"
Hanzi adds after a little longer "Course...it was after they had ya few days"

Gregorian hammers on and off in the background, listening but comforting in general is not his strong point. He pauses after a swing of the hammer at the word of the tattoo and stops to look thoughtful "...I wondah if that's somethin' we could fix somehow"

Felicity's face reflects her sorrow and compassion.  "I'm sorry....that sounds painful."  She looks at the Smith, shrugging.  "I dunno.  May'ap somebeast in 'Alyahd knows?"  Before she can say more, a Private sticks their head in.  "Corporal Felicity, I was told t'come get ya.  My Sargeant wants t'talk t'ya."  The Runner grimaces, then goes to lay a paw on the Recruit's shoulder.  "'Ey, we can talk more latah, okay?  I'm sorry that 'appened t'you, I really am.  Nobeast deserves that.  I'll catch ya latah.  Thanks, Greg, for the advice.  I'll let y'know 'ow 'tis goin' 'ere ina few days."  With a wave, she follows after the Private, having completely forgotten that she needs polish for her weapons.

~*END*~

Thanks for reading! big_smile

Board footer