Redwall MUCK Forum

Redwall MUCK is an interactive, multiplayer text game set in Brian Jacques' Redwall universe.

Visit RWMUCK.ORG for more info!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-12-03 02:14:12 PM

Montamillion

"Yer gettin' weird, Montgomery...." Long Patrol Log 12/2/18

Characters: Hanzi - LP Recruit (male hare), Gregorian - LP Sergeant (male hare), Jinora - LP Major (female hare), Monty- LP Private (male hare), Jacenta - LP Private (female hare)

Setup:  Hanzi and Gregorian are having a chat in the Rec Room, and Major Jinora soon joins them. Monty also joins the party, and he looks a bit worse for wear and tired to the point of being totally loopy after training all day...but he's an LP hare, and doesn't let that minor detail spoil the opportunity to get a drink! big_smile

--------------------------

Gregorian is already in the room, settled at a small table by the fire with paperwork and a drink, methodically working his way through his pile of work.

Hanzi slips in, or least he is trying to slip in quietly. He even has his boots off so he can make less noise as he looks around the room to find ..really not many here, maybe him and Greg and if anyone else was here they are likely asleep. He is looking for a way to quietly get an ale and just relax, or skip something again.

Gregorian's ear still twitches to the door but he doesn't look up immediately. He's midway through checking a schedule over and isn't expecting trouble so Hanzi at least makes it inside apparently unnoticed. It's not until Greg finishes what he's looking at and finishes off the last of his ale when he looks up with the intention of flagging down the barhare for another. That's when he spots the recruit. A small frown appears "Hanzi. Do yah not have trainin' somewhere now?"

Hanzi straightens up, "I.." He does salute..."Sur...not really...ok I do but it's not like it does much good..can't write good, then again can't umm..."His ears droop "Can't read too good, I do know some words but not a lot"

Gregorian raises an eyebrow and doesn't look particularly impressed "Mm...Grab me a drink while yah ovah there then sit" he gestures to a chair at his table.

Hanzi frowns and nods as he goes to get the other hare a drink and then walks slowly over and sits the mug down, and then he sits down "Here...sur" He says quietly, he has behaved the past couple days fairly well.His shoulder was a little swollen but that's eased some and looks a good deal better.

The barhare knows what Greg usually drinks and hands it over without question while Greg waits until Hanzi has sat down "So. Yah avoidin' lessons because yah aren't where yah fellow recruits are up tah yet? With the slavahs dead I thought yah would be a little happiah tahday"

Hanzi is quiet before he answers "I...had not heard they were dead sur, sorry and tis hard to always follow along when they can read and...well I can't, my...mom was gonna take me to Redwall but...well that's when the slavers got me, on the way to the abbey. They got me and her, my dad died fighting the slavers"

Gregorian hms and reaches for his drink "Sorry lad. I thought yah would have been told. Everyone was rescued, no life threatenin' injuries. Slavahs killed and the camp burnt down from the reports I've heard...Yah can lay that worry tah rest now"

Hanzi nods slowly and smiles and its rare to see him smile "So..they are..gone then?" He keeps the smile but is still maybe slightly worried " I am..still able to..stay right sur? I still want to be a great Long Patrol hare on day, still very much willing to learn even if it seems most...dislike me"

Gregorian smiles faintly too "Aye, gone. Now stayin' I'd say that's up tah yah. Yah say yah willin' tah learn, yah need tah start showin' that. If yah want tah be a Patrollah yah need tah work on it. Yah think any of us haven't worked hard tah be where we are now? We were all recruits once. Yah can't read, they'll be teachin' yah but yah don't just have tah wait for the lessons, yah can work on it yahself"

Hanzi frowns "Work on it...myself, how?" He seems unsure "And I always dreamed of the long patrol...when I was saved by a small group of beasts I heard the Long Patrol were in the area and then that they would save the land and get rid of the slavers and..they did, but they suffered a lot ot..to do that.I came to the abbey like a day after all the fighting and then when they left to come back here I..and this one other recruit joined up and came back with them"

Gregorian shrugs as he relaxes back in his chair "There's easiah books in the library tah learn with. Yah said yah can read some words so start there and when yah find the first word yah can't figure out ask the nearest hare wot it says. Yah need tah not be afraid of wot folks think. If they don't help and give yah trouble for askin' they're probably an arse anyway" He takes a small swig of his drink before nodding "A lot of us grew up with tales of the Long Patrol. It's a little different once yah actually in it but I always considahed it worth the journey"

Hanzi is listening as he nods "Yeah....suppose...just wish had friends others seem to just yell at me or say do that...do this....you should of done that better so go peel potatoes. And I know I got in trouble the other day I didn't mean to..and my shoulder still is slightly sore."

Gregorian just chuckles "The hares bossin' yah around are officahs. They're not there tah be yah friend. They're here tah make sure that yah and everyone else stand the best chance of goin' in tah a dangerous situation and comin' out alive. Yah might get tah know them and become friends one day but that's not wot they're tryin' tah do right now. The patrols work best when everyone knows wot they're doin' and does it as soon as they're told. If they say run down the beach yah don't stop tah ask why, yah start runnin'. Yah should befriend the recruits. Yah'll have more in common with them, they can't boss yah around and if they try yah don't have tah listen"

Hanzi sighs..."Some recruits" Not that there is many "Don't like me..they blame me for extra sit ups and push ups "And it is his fault as when asked who did what, he stays silent knowing he did something, once out of 5 times it wasn't him."I can..try and be friends with fellow recruits"

Another shrug and Greg takes another sip from his drink "They do that every year. Eventually they start blamin' the officah instead. Keep trainin' out of lesson times. Stop skippin' lessons and yah'll pass enough of yah fellow recruits yah won't have they problem. Yah can start helpin' them instead"

Hanzi says, "But lessons are hard and getting up early is not fun...." He sighs "Ok..I will....not skip any more lessons or more training drills"It does get tiring doing other things like chopping veggies and ....yep he still has a slight smell of polish to him."

It's a good thing that Gregorian is good with the recruits, because Major Tottheim is barely decent with beasts her own age, this whole 'command' thing is difficult. It's what she gets for being such a reclusive, goody-two-shoes, suck-up, GI Joe of a recruit - it's hard to relate. At least she's done with her paperwork... For now. Ugh. "Sergeant." She greets, her voice tired, as Jinora re-enters the Recreation Room. She's in her casuals now, still damp from her own rigorous training, and drops down to a seat beside Gregorian. "An'... I dinnae think I've met yet, recruit. 'Eard about ye, though. Yer Hanzi, yeah?" Troublemakers have a way of making a name for themselves.

Time seems to be whizzing by quickly, and it is getting closer and closer to both the feast and the day of Monty and Adrian's departure, the fact of which isn't lost on Monty at all. He'd spent the past few days going extra hard in the training room, and when not in there, he was usually found outside, running laps on the beach. While not taking many things seriously, this is certainly one of those things that meant a lot to the young hare, and he wanted to show his superiors that their decision to send him out on the mission would not be regretted. Cue Monty peeking his head into the rec room, taking a quick look around before finally dragging himself in. His posture is a little more slouched than usual, and it is quite evident that the hare is completely exhausted. Having just returned from washing up, Monty is clean however, and he'd thrown on his casual clothes, figuring on spending the rest of the evening at the bar in the rec room. He drops himself onto a stool at the bar. "Ale, please, thank y'kindly," he murmurs, eyes lidded, though he smiles and waves a paw at those already present. "Evening, wot!"

Gregorian just gives Hanzi a flat look "If yah lookin' for sympathy with gettin' up early yah speakin' tah the wrong hare. Who do yah think is goin' tah be gettin' up early enough tah run some of those mornin' trainin' drills? Yah'll get used tah it" Greg has experience with a whole range of things, recruits included. He offers a relaxed salute when the major reappears "Majah" and a nod to Monty too "Evenin'"

Hanzi frowns and he sees the major and stands up quickly to salute..." Yes I am..."He falls backwards with an ooff and tenses up a little, yet somehow he keep the salute and slowly sits up and rubs his ear "I am..Hanzi..yes"

For a moment, Major Tottheim just stares at the recruit on the floor before allowing a small smile and shaking her head. "Major Tottheim. Well met." She studies the recruit a moment before her gaze drifts away with a quick: "at ease." It seems to be the general mood of the Patrol as of late: exhausted, drawn, a little apprehensive... Drowning in paperwork? Some of them. Jinora raises a paw to Monty, a motion which quickly dissolves into a motion for the 'tender. "S'a bit nippy, make it a hot toddy, lad." The Major decides before tapping the counter beside her, indicating Monty can join. "Gettin' nervous?"

Monty's attention had drifted and he had been staring off into space after having placed his order, and so as Jinora taps the counter, Monty is jolted back into this universe. He blinks. "Oh, er...right! Yes, absoballeylutely, sah! Be right there, wot!" He slides off his stool, making sure that both his footpaws hit the floor so as not to fall flat on his face. Accomplishing this task, the hare moves a few stools over and deposits himself on the stool next to Jinora. "Wot was that again?" Blinkblink. "Oh! Oh, er, right, right, nervous." He reaches up a paw and rubs at his eyes for a moment, before flashing a tired smile. "Nope! Not one bit. Kinda excited more n'anything, sah. It's a good chance t'get out an' see th'world, an' help the Patrol at th'same *yawn*...time! Wouldn't trade it for th'world!"

Gregorian watches Hanzi fall and briefly glances at Jinora, making a exasperated face before he offers a paw to the recruit to help him up. He's not getting out of his chair to do so though "Come on, up yah get" after a second or two he looks back to the other two "Yah decided which way yah startin' off yet?"

Hanzi frowns and sits back down, he did need a little help up. "See the world? You can see a lot on the top of the crater area....like the sea, it goes fairly far...maybe you can find a sea moster , that be cool...well no it wouldnt be if it ate you, then that be bad"

That look Gregorian gives her is returned, without a doubt, but Jinora is softhearted enough not to mention it. "Glad yer so enthusiastic, Private." She says to Monty, instead, shaking her head in amusement of his usual manner. She may even miss the lug. "Dinnae recommend ye go chasin' sea monstahs, though." Tottheim laughs, settling in to listen to his response to Greg's inquiry.

Monty drums his paws on the table, waiting for his order. He finally receives his drink, and it sits there for a few moments before he realizes it is there. He catches it out of the corner of his eye, and he does a double take. "Oh! Oh, heh, wouldja look at that, there it is! How long's that been there, eh?" He chuckles, obviously in that state where one is so exhausted they are practically loopy. Hearing Greg's question, Monty regards him with a grin. "Hmmm? Oh, oh yeah, I'm thinkin' we're gonna head south fer a bit, see where that takes us. Haven't been down in that direction much, so we'll see wot we c'n find, sah! Congrats on th'bally promotion too, sah, y'desever it, ya do!" The buck laughs at Hanzi's statement, shaking his head at the younger recruit. "Yeah, y'can, kiddo, but seein' it an' experiencin' it are two very different things, y'know. And sure, if we run inta a sea monster, I'll simply give it a thwack on th'nose with m'fist and it'll go cryin' back to whatever hole it crawled out of!" He lifts his mug, before spilling a bit on himself. "Oh bloody 'ell..."

Hanzi smiles, happy...he is happy and in a good mood...for 10 more seconds till a loud voice is heard..."Why is there hot pepper in the mint tea!!!!!" The recruit frowns and looks for a place to hide and quickly, he jumps behind the bar area where all the ale and drinks are, is he found and dragged off to his possible doom or more chores, or is he lucky and they don't find him...

Gregorian chuckles faintly at Monty "I think perhaps yah first port of call should be bed. Yah seem a little out of it" he doesn't have much more chance to think before there's yelling and Hanzi's off "Wot?" he's confused for a second but then just sighs and grabs his drink "I'll go see wot the trouble is this time" he's sure the barkeep will kick Hanzi out soon but he has enough time to down his drink and grab his papers before chaos can have a chance to break out.

Oh, they find him. Jinora is happy to rat out the recruit. "If he insists on behavin' like a leveret, he cin be taught like one. Extra classes fer a week with th'dibbuns." The Major calls after Greg and Hanzi. Is she kidding? She looks at Greg. /Is/ she kidding? "An'... Monty..." She eyes the buck. "Sergeants righ'. Ge' some sleep tonight." Is that it? Is the Major done... Majoring?

Monty watches Hanzi in his failed attempt at hiding, and as he is dragged away, the buck grins. "DON'T MAKE IT SO OBVIOUS NEXT TIME, LAD!" he yells after him. He winces at Jinora's punishment..."Ooooo...ouch." Once they are gone, he shakes his head stubbornly, "But sah, I don't have TIME t'sleep! Gotta practice keepin' one eye open at all times n'such, don't wanna get ambushed out there when I'm bally well asleep an' sawin' logs!" He lifts his mug, making sure it is right in the center of his face, eyes going crossed briefly before he takes a drink. He smiles, obviously pleased with himself. "It's quite a delicate operation, y'know, an' I gotta be as ready as I can! An' that means spendin' as much time gettin' meself ready! I c'n sleep later..." His ear droops down into his face, and he quickly pushes it back up. 

Gregorian isn't going to argue with the major on that front. If Hanzi's been doing stupid things he deserves all the stupid consequences. Given his very fast attempt at hiding it seemed pretty obvious that stupid things he had indeed been doing. Greg gestures to the barkeep to drag Hanzi out and shoves him off out the door "Yah brin'in' this on yahself" he mutters before he starts yelling back in to the corridor with his best booming voice "Wot is all this noise?!" and that's all that's heard before he slams the door shut behind him.

"Yer no use t'anybeast if yer too exhausted ye keel ovah as soon as y'set out, Montgomery." Jinora replies, stiffly. She sighs as Gregorian and Hanzi take their leaves, a tired paw rising to rub at her temple at all the yelling. "Don' make me /ordah/ ya t'get a propah amount of sleep, like yer some recruit. M"not givin' ye a bloomin' bedtime." She waves a paw, gleefully accepting the hot toddy that the bar has prepared for her, well worth the wait. But she's done... Bossing. "Ya been 'round Halyahd much, lately?"

Jacenta looks into the room and then walks in quietly, she been busy in the infirm the past couple days and now decided it was time for a break, and maybe a drink also.

Monty pauses, thinking that one over briefly. "Huh. Y'think anyone's ever been -ordered- t'sleep before?" He scratches at an ear. "I mean, anyone that's not a leveret, I mean. Leave it up t'me t'be th'one t'do it," he chuckles, shaking his head. "I'll get aroun' to it. Maybe." He takes a sip of his mug, half of it gone already from him spilling it all over himself. Setting it back on the bartop, he gives the question a nod in response. "Aye! Was just there a couple days ago, in fact. Ran inta a new recruit in th'tavern, goes by th'name of Marriana. Said she talked t'ya about joinin' the Patrol?" The buck smiles. "Talked to her for a bit, we have some things in common. Both grew up on a farm, we did. She's taaalll..." he giggles, tiredly. "Think she'll be a good fit here, whenever that happens."

"I've been there." Jinora admits, smirking. "'Ad t'resort t'teas an' herbs from th'Clinic aftah I'd been caught jus'... Wanderin' th'halls an' takin' extra sentry shifts t'avoid it." At his mention of the new recruit, the Major thinks a moment before she nods, recognition dawning. "Ah, aye. She was talkin' with Corporal Swiftbuck when I met 'er." She eyes Monty a moment. "Yer gettin' weird, Montgomery." She snorts, blunt and to the point, and dips her muzzle into her hot toddy. Jacenta's quiet entrance behind her goes unnoticed. "Lookin' forward t'fresh blood."

Jacenta says, "We..need more recruits."She says quietly as she walks the rest of the way inside and gets her drink and sits down close by them."Heard one recruit left.""

Monty grins, as he sways his mug from side to side. "Oh, good! I guess our mission's started before we even left th'area! Could be a good omen, yeah?" He finishes what's left in the mug, before flipping it upside down and setting it back on the bartop. He stares down at the mug for a few moments, intently, eyes narrowing, before he sits up. "Yeah. It's empty. Couldn't do that if it wasn't, wot!" The buck cannot help but laugh at Jinora's comment, eyebrows raising. "-Gettin'- weird? Where've YOU been, sah? Think I should have a badge made jus' fer th'distinction!" At Jacenta's entrance, Monty gives the healer a wave, motioning towards the stools near them. "Ey! Have a seat, drink's on me t'night fer th'wonderful job you've been doin' lately. Don't think it hasn't been noticed..."

Jinora turns to regard Jacenta now that she's spoken up, and nods her agreement. "Aye, an' anothah jus' go' hauled off, kickin' an' screamin'." She snorts, nodding out the door where Hanzi disappeared moments before. "Bu' losin' those tha' dinnae 'ave wot it takes only makes us strongah, in a roundabout way." She drums her claws across the counter. "Join us, Private. An' he's righ', seen big improvement. Yer nay in m'Patrol, bu' I'll 'ave a word with Majah Varus abou' cuttin' back on yer chores." She smiles, still gingerly nursing that hot toddy. "An', aye, I suppose yer righ' abou' tha'." She snorts to Monty's assertions.

Monty pushes the mug away from himself, further down the bar, before staring at it again, this time lying his head down on the bartop, cheek first. "Hey, y'take th'small victories when y'can get 'em, aye?" he replies with a tired grin, paw rising and waving in the air. He sits this way for awhile, before finally lifting his head again, though it seems to be getting quite heavy, as are his eyelids. Always the valiant fighter, however, Monty still struggles to keep himself upright and awake. He decides that singing might just accomplish this! "Ohhhhh, went to th'tavern, t'get me some good grog. Ran into a weasel, 'e smelled jus' like a bog...said 'is name wuz Bloodsnout, but I knew 'twas a lie...gave me a bit o'attitude, so I boffed 'im in the eye..." He lies his head back down on the bar, grinning at both Jacenta and Jinora. "Whadja think, mates? Jus' made it up on th'bloody spot, I did!"

Jinora winces, an expression that deepens into a grimace as Monty continues. "Oh... Mate..." She snorts, pushing herself up and throwing back the remainder of her hot drink. Ouch. "Alrigh', Private. I'm leavin', an' it seems like ye should be kippin' off t'the bunks." She holds an arm out to help support the sleepy, drinking buck should he need it. "Up ye get."

Monty gives a heavy sigh, but he finally seems to realize that it's a fight that would not be easily won. "Pffft. Well, I -liked- it," he pouts, ear drooping against the back of his head. "Might just...work on it s'more...t'morrow..." He slides off his stool, leaning into Jinora as she offers the help, his eyes already half closed but a grin fixed upon his muzzle. "Thank y'sah, that's...kind of you. Headin' off t'the bloody bunks, I suppose...jus' remember, I gotta have...one eye open...at all times...." He halfheartedly waves a paw in the air as he prepares to follow her.

Jinora is a beefy lady - she's pretty buff, and hauling Monty is no challenge. "Off ye go."

“You will find joy, frustration and sorrow in your quest. Never forget that friendship and loyalty are more precious than riches...Happiness can be brief, but it knows no time in the land of dreams.”

Owner of: Monty, Dominik, and Grau

Board footer