Redwall MUCK Forum

Redwall MUCK is an interactive, multiplayer text game set in Brian Jacques' Redwall universe.

Visit RWMUCK.ORG for more info!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-11-19 08:26:53 PM

Montamillion

Andrew's Escape (Old Log)

This is a bit of background information on Andrew and how he escaped from being enslaved by pirate rats, and ended up in the situation he is currently in. smile

Characters: Andrew, young slave mouse... Guttersnout, Patches, pirate rats

(During a stop in a pirate dockside town, the pirates had been talked into bringing Andrew, one of their slaves, with them on an excursion into the town. During this, Andrew had constructed a plan that involved a potential mutiny onboard the ship...it also involved a note from the Captain, but being that the other pirates couldn't read, Andrew used this to his advantage. The following shenanigans ensued.)

Andrew figured that Guttersnout's eventual conclusion would lead to the suggestion he had made, and so the mouse thinks quickly. "Honestly, sir, why would I say anything to anyone? I'm merely a slave, I do as I am told and nothing else. Think of it this way..." He turns his gaze down to the paper he had tossed down. "If I hadn't been able to read the letter there, none of you would have found out what was going on, and something bad would've happened when you went back to the ship, right? So actually..." the mouse shrugs..."In a way, you sorta OWE me. Just saying." Sparklesparkle.

Gutter seems to think on this, "Yer right...you do as yer told." so much for gratitude. The pirate slaps the mouse on the shoulder, waving a finger at his nose he says, "Yer gonna do exactly what I tells ya, and maybe, just maybe we will take ye wid us when we flee this place." the rat smiles. "Yer gonna kill ol' Patches fer us."

Andrew has a moment where he isn't quite sure that he had taken the correct route with this; perhaps he should have just kept his mouth shut and simply did as he was told. Then, that moment passes, and the mouse gives a nonchalant shrug. "Okay. Just tell me what to do." Though inwardly, his mind is quickly attempting to come up with how he is going to attempt to get out of this one. "Once I kill him, then what?"

Gutter gives the mouse an odd look as if considering Andrew's well being for the first time. He opens his mouth to say, 'we don't eat your tail' but closes it, deciding to try more carrot than stick with this situation. "You get to come wid us, of course!" The other rat nods his head vigorously, "Yep, ye'll get to become an honorary rat."
Gutter draws a dirk from his belt, giving it to Andrew. "It's simple. You walk right up the traitor and jam this into his side. Even a mouse can't mess this up." Guttersnout looks rather pleased with his ingenious plan. "We will be right outside the door to help you in case anything goes wrong. But I doubt that will happen. No one would ever expect to be stabbed in the back by a slave!" There are...so many things wrong with that logic that it doesn't bare mentioning. "Oh, and if you don't, I'll cut out yer liver and feed it to you. M'kay? ok. Now git goin." The rat tries to shoo the mouse in the direction of the proper tavern.

Riiiight. Let's give a slave who has been treated like garbage the entire time he's been on the ship a weapon and trust that he actually does what he is instructed with it. The rats are lucky that Andrew is small and relatively inexperienced with weapons....that is likely what is saving their lives right now. The mouse reaches out to take the dirk, and he stares down at it in his paws...it's really the first time he'd ever held a weapon, so it's a bit awkward. "Um. Okay. So...how do I...?" He glances up at Gutter curiously. "You -may- just have to show me how. How abouuuut...that guy?" He motions to a scruffy looking weasel who happened to be strolling by at that moment.

The pirate looks between the mouse and the weasel, "You want me to randomly murder some beast off the street? I'm a pirate, not a monster." The rat tries to spin the mouse around and shove him towards the tavern doors, "Now get in there and gut our ex comrad. Don't worry, it will come naturally. Think of it like...cutting through a steak or..."
"Imagine he's someone you really really hate. Like a tax collector. Someone you really really just want to stab. In the face." The other rat offers his sage advice.

Andrew smirks, and mutters, "What's the difference...?" before he is shoved towards the tavern. Grasping the dirk in his paws (which is entirely too large for his size), the mouse makes his way towards the tavern. Any chance of turning and running for it is impeded by the fact that he is still shackled at the ankles and the wrists. He pauses, and turns towards the other two. "Um. I...don't think I can do much if I can't move my arms..." He motions with his head towards his shackles. "I -promise- I'll put them back on when I'm done." To the advice given, he grins inwardly, thinking to himself...'trust me, if it was you, it'd be so easy'....

"The mouse does make a point." Wally offers. Rolling his eyes Gutter pulls out the key, "What you do afterwards is hardly my concern. Just so long as you get it done." The mouse is soon unshackled foot and paw. "Remember. We are right here in case anything goes wrong...or if you try to run." The rat then goes to shove Andrew through the door.
Many stories start in taverns. Be they sea shanties or adventurer tales. In truth taverns are generally romanticized from the narrow, cramped room filled with sweaty smelling vermin passed out in their own grog. This tavern is no different. Each table is filled with beasts either laughing as they merrily guzzle down ale to rot their livers or stare off into their drinks, their eyes filled with regret.
Patches the rat sits at the bar next to a burly fox and a sand lizard. The fox leans against the bar and shares a hearty laugh at some joke the rat said. The lizard...lays sprawled out across the bar, a knife dug deep into his guts. And no one seems to notice.
"Har har Patches me ol chum! A good one! 'e never saw the punch line coming!" The beer bellied swift fox laughs.
"He certainly got the 'point' though." And the two laugh.
"AH! HA HAAHAHAHAHHAH. The point lad, the point." The fox laughs. Then pauses. "I dun get it."
"Drink more grog until you do..."

Andrew is pushed through the tavern door, and he immediately stops and stands there, staring at all the denizens of the tavern. Taking a deep breath (which he immediately regrets), the mouse's eyes scan the room in search of his supposed 'target'. Spotting him sitting at the bar, Andrew weaves his way through the room, wary of all the eyes that stare at him as he goes through...it's probably not too often that an unaccompanied mouse shows up here. Keeping his eyes forward, the mouse finally makes his way to where Patches is sitting. "Um, excuse me, sir?" he attempts to speak above the din, reaching up a paw and tugging at the rat's clothing. He hides the dirk behind his back.

The laughter stops short. Patches glances over his shoulder looking for the beast who DARES touch his shabby tunic. Then his eyes small downward. "What in the blazes are they doing letting mice in here."

"Maybe it came to nibble the bread in the pantry." The fox jokes.

"Wait...oh! You're that slave...that I just sent with Patches and Wally." The rat says in reconition. He takes a swig of grog before continuing, "That I just sent out on assignment." He sighs, "Not even ten minutes ashore and I need to pull thar tails out of some sort of self inflicted trouble. Well, go on. What's the matter? Have they gotten themselves killed, captured, or are they just hopelessly lost in the city?"

Andrew's brain had been turning the entire time as he had made his way to the tavern. He gives a glare at the fox briefly at his comment, before he turns his eyes back to Patches and clears his throat. "Ahem. Well, sir, I'm not sure if I was supposed to tell you this or not, but..." He pulls the dirk out from behind his back, and holds it out to Patches. "They gave me this, and told me to come in here and kill you. I honestly have no idea why, sir. But as you know, I am a slave, and I am supposed to do what I am told." He shrugs. "I'm not sure what you may have done to warrant this, but...I couldn't in good conscience come in here and kill a beast who's done nothing wrong!" He puts on his best innocent expression, as he waits to see the results of his words.

The rat blinks at Andrew. He begins to laugh, "What? Ho that's rich. Looky here we got ourselves a comedian slave! Hahahahahah...ahahah...ha..." the laughter trails off. "Wait, seriously. They wanted /you/ to kill /me/." The look of shock on Patches face is slowly turning into anger. "They want to kill /me/?" He sits up from the bar, reaching out to snatch the dirk away from the mouse. "Where are they. ANSWER ME!"

Andrew continues to peer up at Patches as the rat absorbs the information he had given up. "No, sir, I'm not joking, why else do you think they gave me this? Who would give a slave a weapon, and then unshackle them? It seems pretty...stupid...to me." He nods his head to the rat as he seems to begin believing the information given, and he squeaks in surprise as the weapon is snatched from his paws. He breathes a sigh of relief, as that thing was getting heavy! He nods his head. "Yes, sir. They said something about you turning your back on them and stealing all the money for yourself or something, I didn't get all the details, exactly. But, they are right outside that door..." he motions towards the door. A thought enters his brain, and he grins deviously. "I have an idea, sir. To throw them off guard. When you go out there, act like I stabbed you. Be all dramatic. Then, when they approach you to see if you're dead, you can take them by surprise!" Hmmm. This mouse has been thinking this one over!

"That's strategy, that is." The fat bellied fox spins in his chair until he is facing the door.
"What? No, that's stupid! I'm just going out there to kill them! I don't need to be fancy about it."
"Oh come on, what's the harm in trying it out? Two against one ain't good odds."
"Two against one? What, you arn't going to help?"
"And miss the show? This is your fight, not mine." The fox sprawls out with his arms against the bar. He begins making bets with the beasts next to him. Rolling his eye Patches groans, "Ffffine. Argh, I've been stabbed in me vitals. Oh woe is me, I am dying."
"Oh come on. With passion." The fox urges.
Rolling his eye again Patches slaps his paw to his chest, "BLaaaaaargh! Why! You filthy rotten slave! Traitor, guh! My spleen, my favorite spleen!" The rat goes stumbling out of the tavern, collapsing onto the boardwalk just outside the door where both pirate rats lay waiting to jump him and kill him.
"Blimy...he actually did it. He actually stabbed him!" Gutter gasps.

Andrew does his best to hold in his laughter at the rat's performance. Eh, he was a pirate, not an actor, but he gives him credit for trying at least. Andrew soon follows after Patches out the door, the mouse putting on his best nervous and terrified expression. He trembles, as he stares down at his paws. "...what...what have I DONE?" he squeaks. "I've...I've never killed anyone before!" He walks dazedly from the tavern door, a short distance away from where the scene would likely turn quite violent in a matter of moments. He flumps down on his bottom, and merely watches the goings-on, though inside his brain he anxiously awaits to see what will happen. Either way, he is unshackled, and in a much better position than he had been upon arriving at the port.

The rat's look astonished. "The mouse did it. He actually killed Patches." Wally says with excitement, he turns to Guttersnout, "Do you know what this means? We are free beasts! We are in the-"
( And that is when Patches leaps to his feet and guts Wally with his sword. The rat makes a pained gasp as a wound appears from one side the belly to the other. He collapses onto his rump, leaning against the wall as Patches goes after Guttersnout, who screams like a dibbun as they cross blades. "You traitrous cur! Think you could kill me!"  )
The two of them exchange blows, parrying, thrusting, slashing. In truth the sword fight looks much more frantic than the stories make them sound. There is no coriographed foot work, no dramatic dodging of blades or passing of wit. Just clashes of blades. Patches thrusts and Guttersnout evades, kicking the pirate in the gut on his way past and stabbing him in the back with a dagger.

Patches screams once and then falls face first onto the muddy street...where Guttersnout proceeds to stab him again. He breaths deeply before looking up and spying the mouse on the side lines. "Y-you...." he trembles with anger and begins walking towards Andrew.

Andrew quickly turns and darts away into the crowd, though there is a grin upon his face..and he is soon lost among the throngs of pirates and other no-goodniks, future uncertain but a lot brighter than it previously had been...

Last edited by Montamillion (2018-11-19 08:27:37 PM)

“You will find joy, frustration and sorrow in your quest. Never forget that friendship and loyalty are more precious than riches...Happiness can be brief, but it knows no time in the land of dreams.”

Owner of: Monty, Dominik, and Grau

Board footer