Redwall MUCK Forum

Redwall MUCK is an interactive, multiplayer text game set in Brian Jacques' Redwall universe.

Visit RWMUCK.ORG for more info!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-11-06 04:48:57 PM

KenyaAndJacenta

Woodworking Is Fun-Redwall Log

Who:

Kenya-Novice of Redwall

Brother Rick-Brother of Redwall(spoofed by Kenya)

Benar-Abbot of Redwall

Gorvenalus- Recorder of Redwall

Ewan- Resident  LP Hare of Redwall

Log:

Kenya has been doing her chores still, but also has spent some time working on a sort of project of her's the past couple weeks. It's finally almost done and she is just doing a little sanding of what is a large staff, she looks it over as she still wants to add a bit of a design to it.

Gorvenalus has enjoyed just being outside and walking around, spoting Kenya he smiles and walks over "This is where you have been lately, I have wondered as last I seen you a few days ago you seemed very quiet and upset over something"

Benar is sweeping out the kiln, the abbot is using a rare quiet afternoon now all the disasters are over to enjoy his time cleaning out his workshop. It is nice to have put away the abbot's robe for a bit for a simple vest and apron so he can sweep and work on tidying it all up and getting it back in working order.

Kenya looks up "I..am ok, just making something. I like working with wood and it helps ...sort of, to keep my mind off...past stuff."She frowns a little, "Its a staff, still needs some finishing touches but...I still think it was my fault it was broken in the first place."

Gorvenalus walks closer as he listens "How was it your fault it was broken and it is nice to make a new one. And finding things to do is good, but at the same time don't keep things bottled up, that's not a good thing."

Benar keeps humming as he works, sweeping out the last of the dust from inside the kiln. He looks up at the voices and waves, "Gorvenalus, Kenya good day to you both, enjoying the peace and quiet same as me I hope?"

Kenya sands down the staff a little more and looks at the ends, did the other have anything on the ends...she can't remember, she waves "Hello Abbot Benar. It is nice the peace is back and not all the..."She shivers "Bad stuff..."

Gorvenalus smiles at Benar "It is a good day yes, not yet too cold but I am sure snow will come in a few weeks, but I think the abbey is fairly well ready for winter season."He glaces at Kenya " So..what else needs done for this staff it appears almost done"

Benar props his broom against the wall of the open fronted Kiln then starts to carry in logs from his wheelbarrow and store them in the hopper by the actual kiln oven, "Oh yes we are quite well settled for winter, we are lacking on a few things but nothing that means we'll starve we may just have to have more potatoes then bread for a few weeks at the start of spring and the feast is going to have to be a ... sedate affair."

Kenya looks at the staff "Some sort of design, even if it's not needed I..want to make one, maybe like vines like the ones from the rose garden, and the name..it's to replace the one Papa Oz had since his..."She frowns "Broke..."She is quiet remembering the day with the marten, remembering using what ended up being a ferrets rope to get into the woods to run away and getting lost, she also remembers the camp and sits down hugging her knees to her chest.

Gorvenalus frowns as he goes to lay a paw on her shoulder, "Are you sure your ok Kenya?"

Benar looks up from piling wood and frowns, "Kenya what is it?" He walks over a few steps, "There is something bothering you isn't there?"

Kenya frowns and nods "I...keep having a bad dream about the horde beasts. I...first thought was my fault Papa Oz got hurt the one day by that marten..s...so I ran away, though everyone blame me cause the marten followed me to his room. There was a grabing hook on the wall so..so used it and it broke, I was in the woods and got away from this rat and father had got permission to look for me, we couldn't go back to the abbey cause the horde surround it so we ended up looking for Xander and the long Patrol and we found them like a few days before they got here."She sniffs and shivers a little " S..Some stayed at c..camp and most didn't..the camp got ambushed and..and it was scary, and guess a lot d...died on the road and in the abbey t..too..I would of died if this one hare didn't grab me and run..b..but he died too..someone else found me and barely got away...but I sometimes still have a bad dream about it only in the dream everyone died expect me"

Gorvenalus frowns, "You were at the camp?" He heard about the camp some, but not much details just that only 3 survived, 2 hares and an otter...."Oh.."

Benar frowns a bit but doesn't say anything, lets Kenya talk as she clearly needs to get this out

Kenya frowns"I know its just a bad dream but it seemed so real. And I keep having flashbacks sometimes, not as much now as I did ...but sometimes still."

Gorvenalus hmmms" Perhaps..try some meditation, or write down your thoughts, it could help. There is also talking to Abbot Benar...me..or any order beast, talking helps. Also as you said finding something to reduce stress, maybe your woodworking skill..weather it's a large staff or maybe something small and simple"

Benar says, "Indeed Kenya you can always talk to us, and working on a hobby is good I am sure Papa Oz will appreciate a new staff my dear but you should focus on other things too. Maybe new toys for the Dibbuns for the Solstice? Something positive to focus your mind on as you work."

Kenya looks between them "Like..spinning tops or wooden figures?" She isn't sure how to make tops but she can practice maybe, "The..solstice..."She smiles a little, just a small smile "That's when the snow badger is around isn't it?" She still frowns"Talking..helps? How...talking just makes one think on something too much"

Gorvenalus sits down beside her "Talking still helps, or writing it down even to get the feelings out. Trust me keeping any bad feelings...fear...pain inside too long isn't good. My son Minsc did that and it almost made him lose who he truly was, it just keep things inside for seasons and rarely spoke. Friends helped him and he was able to be happy again...also leaning our former home was still around and there were survivors helped a lot also, in fact he is there now acting as their main warrior, sort of like the champion here in a way. he is protector of Willowbark Abbey

Benar inclines his head, "Indeed Kenya that is when the Snow Badger comes so some new toys for Solstice morning for the little ones would go down a treat." He glances at Gorvenalus and nods, "And what Gorvenalus says it helps maybe write it down, put what happened down in writing so it can go in our records so it is not forgotten."

Kenya nods slowly "Not..forgotten...I guess some things are ok to..to remember just not keep remembering over and over again..I could try the writing"She smiles a little better now and goes to give each a hug.

Gorvenalus smiles as he nods "I can place it in the records somewhere."He allows the hug and gives one of his own"But..enough of the horde and the siege, we can speak of other things now."He smiles as he nods to the staff"Such as the staff, maybe Brother Rick can help with the vine design on it, but what else?"

Benar asks, "Perhaps I can make something to cap it? A copper cap with studs so it gives extra support when Oz is using it? We can incorporate it into the design."

Kenya smiles, "It would have rose vines on it and his name, but maybe sort of fancy even if he can't see it someone can tell him or maybe a way to...feel the design and the craving of his name?"

Gorvenalus nods "It's possible yes. Brother Rick can surely help with the craving as he does do woodwork and other minor repairs around the abbey"

Benar says, "Indeed Brother Rick should be able to help with that, or at least show you how to do it yourself if you want to give it a go"

Kenya nods "He can help and I can also do some of it too. I want to learn more of wood working, but also healer skills too maybe."

Gorvenalus says, "Woodwork is a good skill to have, also healers. I am unsure whom is in charge of the infirm now since..Brother Rafeal is no longer with us""

Benar says, "Both good skills to focus on Kenya, but do not spread yourself too thin, you'll never be able to master a trade if you spread yourself too thin." He then frowns and sighs, "I have not appointed a new master healer yet... there are many good healers I don't know if we should elevate anyone above their colleagues just yet and focus on rebuilding.""

Kenya nods "I may focus on woodwork, maybe one day I could make chairs and other stuff like that. I could also help chop wood for winter storage if it's needed. As for healing everyone should know least some basic healing"

Gorvenalus smiles "That's true, all abbey beasts do know basic first aid, its one of the classes for novices and if one decides to learn more than that they are welcome to go deeper into the study, we don't have any wood workers right now, a couple strong beasts have helped get wood into storage. I have not checked how we are on that, I was busy seeing what vegetables, fruits and such we have. I know some was upset over not as much pumpkin this season."He shrugs and smiles " But we are better than I thought we would be on apples and pears"

Benar says, "It is one of the reasons I encourage everyone to have a hobby or a focus, I may be the abbot but I make pottery. Oz may care for the dibbuns but maybe  he is good at woodworking, We had a Friar once  that  also brew beer."

Kenya chuckles as the abbot throws out random names and skills " I wonder what our Friar now likes to do besides Cooking and kitchen stuff? "She smiles more now "I like woodworking, and its sort of..fun, even if it takes a long while to make something more than..something small, then something small may take a while also"

Gorvenalus smiles as he listens "Basically you can have an extra skill...I know a lot on healing and also have leadership skills I can use if needed, but my main job is Recorder of Redwall Abbey"

Benar says, "Extra skills are good it helps us all to be a well rounded community not waiting on anyone else," He smiles, "Now I must get the kiln fire going if you will excuse me."

Kenya nods as she smiles "I am gonna find Brother Rick so I can get Papa Oz's new staff done, maybe in a couple days!" She then heads off, she can leave the staff here for now it will be safe, also its a little too heavy for her to carry a lot.

Gorvenalus smiles as he stays seated, he will enjoy the fresh air and sunshine today. Maybe even a nap in the orchards here soon.

Its been a couple days and Kenya has keep herself busy, not only doing chores, and finding time to write down her feelings into a log and give to Gorvenalus, but also working on the staff with Brother Rick's help. The squirrel brother nods as he watches and shows her how to crave, carefully a vine design to look like like rose garden, she even carefully makes, with help, a couple roses, just a couple though.

Ewan wanders into the kitchen yard and nods to the two beasts "Hallo...thar Kenya and...umm..Brother Rick?" He thinks he has the name right, he hopes so.

Kenya smiles "Hello Ewan!" She is in a brighter mood it would seem, as she craves the design, trying to make a rose look nice her paw sort of slips, it doesn't mess up the design as the mark could well be made into a vine, but she does cut her paw some as she whimpers and sniffs, ok that stings as Brother Rick looks at it and uses a clean handkerchief to wrap around it "Its not deep your be fine lass, we can have a healer look at it." The otter maid nods but a cut on the palm of the paw still hurts.

Ewan watches and frowns, "That's...blood..."And he faints, least he lands on some soft grass, he should be fine, but it's still curious how he made it as far as he did into the patrol.

Kenya frowns, "Ewan fainted..."She looks at the staff "Is it messed up? What about the rest of the craving?" All she did was a little more of the vines that she gently craved into it and was making the design a little deeper into the wood so Oz could feel it. Brother rick smiles "I can crave his name and finish making the vines and roses deeper, it's ok lass."He pats her on the shoulder "Go ahead to the infirm and get the paw tended to."He then goes to tap the hare on the shoulder.

Ewan groans as he wakes up and looks at the squirrel, he sits up and frowns and a half glace at the otter maid and back to the squirrel "She is ok right?"

Brother Rick smiles as he nods, Kenya meanwhile goes to the infirm where all that is needed is some healing herbs and a tight bandage and being told to have it checked in a couple days, she will likely have a bandaged paw a week, and oh yeah keep it dry and clean, other wise she is fine.

Ewan stands up "Guess...sight of blood will get to me now..."He takes a deep breath and looks at the staff "That's nice, the staff..Oz will like it most likely."

Brother Rick nods as he finishes the craving and adds in semi fancy lettering =OZ= and nods "He will, all that's left is to finish the craving so he can feel the design and his name, a small bit of paint, and seal for the paint and Benar will add caps at the ends, then it will be finished. Most likely in a day's time." He lets the hare stay by him to watch if he wants to, the day is still only lightly cold, it's sunny and all in all, a very good day in Redwall Abbey.

Board footer