Redwall MUCK Forum

Redwall MUCK is an interactive, multiplayer text game set in Brian Jacques' Redwall universe.

Visit RWMUCK.ORG for more info!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-10-25 07:39:56 PM

oz

Memorial Service-Redwall Abbey Log

Summer is ending, the weather is turning and grey clouds bunch and roll through the heavens above Redwall Abbey. A soft drizzle is falling upon the world, especially atop the newly turfed hillock that now sits in the shade of the walls at the edge of the graveyard.

The Foremole and have crew have finished their work, all those who could be interred have been and a small stone cenatoph has been raised on the top of it. A simple pathway lined with the same white stones as the graveyard wind up the hill to a little plaza of stones surrounding the stone monument.

Benar is currently standing by the arched liche gate leading into the graveyard. Dressed in his best and holding the staff of the Abbot. The silver bell suspended in the arch at the top swaying and chiming gently in the faint wind blowing over the walls from the north.

The abbey bells are currently silent, Benar has arranged for them to only ring when he is done with the memorial for those who have been lost. Currently he is waiting for mourners to arrive, a patient, kind, quiet figure, his tail blowing in the wind as beasts start to gather.

Ewan makes his way over to the memorial slowly, a couple hares with him.

Tarsa is here as well, in her uniform that's been cleaned and stands quietly as she waits for things to start.

Adrian stands with the small contingent of Patrol hares, his uniform pressed and looking spiffy. He remains respectfully silent.

Gorvenalus arrives a little late, but he is here now as he walks over quietly and stands nearby.

Matilda arrives after a short while and stands beside some other abbey beasts and a few of the refugees still at the abbey.

Lacota comes outside as well and stands quietly near Benar.

A novice lurks nearby, looking stiff and uncomfortable in this serious matter. Mary the field mouse smooths down her habit with her free paw as she respectfully clutches a lantern, standing aside as a placeholder so that those arriving know where to walk.

Sinway slowly makes his way over, choosing to stand next to the remaining long patrol hares that he fought alongside

DoraRose comes up, dressed in her black training outfit. Her sword is at her side, twine wrapped around the hilt and guard and sheath, effectively peace tying it. She's holding LilyMoore's paw, the Bell ringer clothed in a black dress (dresses are a rare thing for this mouse, please be impressed). At her other side hops Butterclaw the Sparra, his wing still sporting a cast. He has a black ribbon tied around his neck in a little bow. A few birds from the surrounding woodlands fly above the Bellringer's head, carrying bundles of leaves tied with black ribbon. Most of them are robins, but there are a couple of doves and even a nightjar in the mix, too. Behind the Gatekeeper is Blisa and all her guards. The Ferravale Chieftain is wearing a dress, herself (which of course is black, seeing as how that's the only color she wears), and the bodyguards have black bands on their upper arms, opposite the white ones that are always there. There is a small group of other Ferravalians here, too. They all come to a stop on the opposite side of the Long Patrol, Blisa standing beside Dora. Lily releases her mother's paw and kneels, hugging her Sparra friend as the other birds land beside her. They all stand in respectful silence, waiting for the Abbot to speak.

Benar nods quietly to everyone as they arrive, a few murmured welcomes. He speaks quietly to Brothers and Sisters of the order as they arrive. He bows to Ewan and Tarsa as they arrive and reaches out a hand to grasp Gorvenalus' arm. The last beast to arrive is the Badger Lord Ciocan, who is supporting Oz, Benar bows to the badger and accepts a hug off Oz before taking a deep breath and turning to look at everyone.

As the crowd of arrivals starts to trail off he smiles, he flicks a small frown at all the weapons but tries to keep it from his face. He gave permission after all and most of the Long Patrol hares, all 19 of them have turned up with their weapons held in honor. "Welcome everyone, if you'd follow me... I shall speak before the memorial." He turns and starts to walk onwards, the bell on his staff ringing, the drizzle flowing out of the sky soaking everyone.

He pauses by a grave halfway toward the new mound and reaches out to touch Lorimis' name then turns and walks onward, leading the procession up the small rise to the paved platform surrounding the cenotaph. Stepping up before the beautifully carved names he turns and waits for everyone to gather in respectful silence. He looks around and then up toward the Abbey and waits quietly and patiently for everyone to gather.

Ewan gives a salute to the Badger Lord, as does a couple other hares, though one from the opposite paw as..well the right one is still in a sling and healing.

Tarsa made sure all hares with them were here, though she may need to speak to 1 or both recruits as she quietly snorts. A quick salute to the Badger Lord and she stands up better. She sighs as a private sneezes..allergies maybe. She waits quietly for things to start.

Gorvenalus smiles at Benar and nods to him, a paw shake, maybe a hug before speaking back again and waiting.

Adrian follows Tarsa, tossing a salute to Ciocan as he passes.

Oz gives a quiet thank you to being helped to the graveyard. He is still weak yet but his voice sounds better at least. He has yet to walk around, really even stand without some help. He can sit if needed. It would seem Sister Ginny is with the dibbuns today and likely also some dibbuns with Krisha inside.

Hanzi walks out, he stays close to Ewan and frowns as seems he, rather not be here.

Isla, one of the Long Patrol recruits, stands at the best attention she is capable of at this point in her new training, a short distance behind Tarsa. Her uncle, done up in a black, star-patterned cape, is a short distance away, not pushing his luck by hanging about his newly militarized niece. Novice Mary stands a little straighter as more and more beasts file in, both paws moving to hold her lantern a little higher. Obediently and silently, the mouse dips her head to each beast as they pass, until the procession shifts its attention to follow Benar. She continues to stand, a sentinel in a green-habit... She wasn't there for the funerals when her home burned - doesn't know if there /were/ any - but she's darn well here for them now.

Sinway offers a bow to the badger lord as he passes following Benar at his own pace the slight drizzle is making it hard to walk with his cane though doing his best not to show this. he for the time being remains silent like the rest of the beasts

DoraRose takes her daughter's paw as LilyMoore stands back up, and the little group follows the Abbot and the Badger Lord as they travel deeper into the graveyard. The Gatekeeper and the Bell ringer pause at the grave marked 'Leon'. The birds start chirping quietly as the younger mouse begins to cry. The Warrior hugs her close, then continues to lead the little group towards the memorial. Blisa and her fellow Ferravalians, knowing how much the Long Patrol hate vermin, wisely left all their weapons in the Gatehouse, since they'll be leaving right away. The Chieftain figures that if any of the hares try to attack them like idiots, it's the hares who'll need to worry since everyone's in Redwall. The group melds with the rest of the mourners, the vermin staying as far away from the hares as possible. Angela watches from the Infirmary door, then returns to her patients.

The Abbot looks around at everyone, meeting eyes as he stands in the rain,

"We are gathered here today to say farewell to those who have given up that which is most precious to help defend the peace, the tranquility and the home we have all made here within these Redstone Walls."

He looks up at the cenotaph and lies a hand on it, "Here inscribed are all the names of those who gave their lives to defend our homes and help us bring peace back to our land."

He looks at Tarsa and the Long Patrol and their Badger Lord and bows to them, "To the Long Patrol, Redwall is once again eternally in your debt we could not have stood the tide of this assault on our own... sadly the world is filled with those who would like nothing more then to bring us low and ruin our way of life."

He sighs and looks up at the names, "I would like to invite all of you here to say a word for those who have been lost... your Lordship?"

Ciocan removes his hat, the long feathers attached to it blowing in the wind as he looks around at his remaining hares and then at the crowd, "We thank you all, the Long Patrol has always and will always stand for those who wish to live in peace. On the walls of the mountain, deep within the Badger Lords chamber the symbols of the ancient text herald Redwall many times. Never will we not answer your cries for help, many of our friends have departed to Black Forest Gates but everyone of them marched here to defend your beautiful Abbey."

He looks up at the walls of the abbey and then the building, "I can think of no higher tribute then have allowed them all to slumber here in the world they fought for peace."

Benar bows to the badger and turns, "I'd like to invite you to speak next Log-a-Log... and then you Blisa and then anyone who wishes to speak may do so."

Tarsa steps aside as a couple shrews come forwards and then the Log-A-Log Allea nods as she clears her throat and speaks "I...became Log-A-log...suddenly, my father was Log-A-log before me, my father was killed on the road before we got to the abbey, 10 out of 50 shrews also were killed by the horde, but those left made sure the last remaining or the horde was slain. The ones who loss lives will always be remembered, always" She then steps down and nods her thanks to the Abbot.

Gorvenalus stays quiet, he will listen for now, and keep a record of what is said by all during this memorial service.

Adrian remains respectfully silent, his gaze fixed on the Abbot.

Quietly, Mary watches. With the Long Patrol, Isla stands up just a little straighter - she was not apart of the fight, the loss, nor the pain, but this is her life now. She doesn't feel the need to mourn the comrades she never knew, rather the drive to live up to the name that the lost hares of the Long Patrol have left behind. Before the funeral, her uncle had asked if she would be willing to sing with his accompaniment, but she declined, thinking it better left for after. So the recruit stands, still and silent, with the rest of the Long Patrol - a force she does not yet feel apart of, but stands by.

DoraRose holds her now weeping daughter close with one arm, and as Blisa steps forward the birds and other Ferravalians gather a little closer. The Chieftain respectfully waits her turn, then looks to those gathered here. "Ferravale was proud to offer it's aid to our ally, Redwall. We have known your kindness countless times in the past, and there is no possible way we could repay you. It was only loyalty, and a hatred of those who would try and destroy your way of life, that led us to help free you from your oppressor." She glances at the memorial. "The beasts from my village courageously surrendered their lives to keep the lives of those here in your Abbey and in all of Mossflower safe. They will be honored and remembered for as long as Ferravale stands. They would ask for nothing less than to rest in the shadow of your walls, knowing that their sacrifice was not in vain." She rejoins the Gatekeeper, and they all listen to what everyone else says.

Ewan frowns as he listens to others speak and rocks back and forth a little on his foot paws. He frowns as talk of the battle and lives lost starts to get to him as he takes a deep breath to calm himself and for now remains silent a few moments longer till he can speak, "I...umm....yes will say words, we should remember the good and...not the bad. And try not to be....sad all the time, f..f..friends don't want sadness." He is then finished.

The grey squirrel listens to everyone's word, several Brothers and sisters step forward to say a few words. A couple of the woodlanders who took shelter in the abbey during the siege and have not yet left. As the words come to a close Benar raises his staff.

"We thank you all, we shall never forget you and we shall join our voices together as one to remember you for always." He rings his bell and the twin bells in the tower start to ring, their deep, mellow voices echoing across the lawn and damp grey graveyard.

The abbot lifts his voice and starts to sing and the order of Redwall lift their heads in a solemn, quiet farewell to all those who have left to defend the peace of the abbey.

"Please Remember me

When the sun goes down

When the moon is round

Remember me

Please remember me

When the last call rings

When the Peace sings

Remember me

Oh, remember me

When the patrons laugh

That's our epitaph

Oh remember me!"

Tarsa mainly listens, a couple more hares do say a few words before the abbot spoke again and then quickly go back to where they were standing before.

Gorvenalus listens quietly, he will let others speak and write down the songs, the words spoken and even some words spoken to him quietly from one maybe too nervous to go up front.

Adrian clasps his paws, looking somber. He has words, but can't bring himself to say them, so he stays quiet. Indeed, he passes his words to the old Recorder when he has the chance.

Oz stays where he is, he got some help to sit down as he also listens to what others say quietly. The Redwall Champion says a quiet prayer for those who have passed and for those whom morn and wipes away a few tears.

Mary bows her head, bitter tears stinging the corners of her eyes. Is this what she missed? Did anyone sing for her mother? The novice is ashamed as her thoughts turn only inward, to beasts she knew better than those that died at Redwall - beasts she left behind. Isla the hare stands stock at attention.

Sinway walks, well limps up and stands next to Benar giving his old friend a soft smile before speaking "I be agreein' with what Ewan said, tis a sad day indeed, But ye need to try and remember all the good times ye had with them, something'  I been sayin' a lot the past few days is that ye got to cheer up look forward and be happy, after all I was once told if ye weep to much fer the ones ye lost, they wont be able to rest in peace so lets not leave this memorial with tears and sad faces, but with smiles, and the fond memories of the loved ones we lost, after all I'm sure that be what all of them would want." He turns offers a small prayer to all the ones lost before limping his way back to the crowed

DoraRose just holds her daughter as she cries, and, despite some resistance, wraps her other arm around Blisa in a motherly sort of way. Whatever. The Chieftain will be just fine. The bodyguards, despite the solemn occasion, share smiles behind the Chieftain's back. She'll never live this down. As the river otter shares his piece, the Gatekeeper jiggles LilyMoore slightly, and the Bell ringer nods, but she needs to let herself cry it all out. As the Order members start to sing, Butterclaw chirps to the other birds, and they all start chirping, quickly matching the notes and melody of the song. The woodland birds all take to flight, placing their leaf bundles on top of the memorial, then diving and circling above the ground dwellers gathered below. Once the song stops, they all land at Lily's feet and chirp inquisitively. She murmurs in response to them, wiping her eyes.

Benar places his staff on the ground in front of him and sighs softly, "Thank you my friends... I suggest you all take a moment now. Enjoy the gardens and the grounds, say your private good bye and then in a tradition Lord Ciocan requested there will be a wake within the Great Hall. Your lordship,"

The massive badger gestures toward the building, "Here we have been sad and said our farewells, we have cried and let the peace of Redwall embrace us. Inside the Great Hall there shall be fires, and song and food and drink and we shall speak of all the good times," He turns to Tarsa, "We shall do as the Long Patrol has always done and toast the memory of those who have gone ahead and remember the fun, the laughs and the food... definitely the food."

Benar bows and smiles sadly, "So come everyone, take a moment, enjoy the peace of this place and when you are ready head inside," He steps away then with the Badger Lord and the two stand a short way away shrouded in the drizzling rain as they look up at the cenotaph and talk quietly.

Ewan looks over muttering a couple goodbyes. The hares sometimes seemed to dislike him but maybe deep down more liked him that he thought, he closes his eyes remembering when one had pushed him away in camp telling him to run. He takes a deep breath and pushes away any bad memories that try to slip into his mind and decides to go stand by Benar and the Badger Lord.

Tarsa nods quietly as she stands there and watches others. She doesn't talk to many really, if any at all and seems to just stay off to the side for now. She sighs a little as if other things were on her mind.

Adrian makes his way up to the cenotaph, resting his paw on the cold stone for a moment. He looks to be lost in thought as he stands there.

Gorvenalus watches the others but frowns curious of the hare as he walks over and nods to Tarsa "Things seem on your mind, I heard talking helps even if its maybe talking to those lost, or just to someone who listens and maybe replies and maybe doesn't, but sometimes a listening ear is all one needs at times"

Matilda sits by Oz to make sure he is ok , the badger nods slowly. He is a little sore still and somewhat tried but when asked if she wants him to get someone to help him inside he shakes his head "No...not yet"he says quietly.

The novice does not linger with the other beasts, rather Mary moves quickly to assume her duties in the Great Hall - there will be feasting and merriment, yes, which means cleaning for her! Isla catches her uncle's eye and the two share a look, happy to lend their talents to the merriment within the halls.

Sinway smiles and limps his way over to the Badger Lord and Benar "It was a wonderful memorial Father" He pauses for a moment looking back at the group before back at Benar "Me blade was found with the other weapons collected in the Champions Cottage, tis not me place to hold it in me paws anymore so I leave it up to you and our champion to take care of it." He offers a bow to both him and the Badger Lord "I'll be needin' to head to bed soon I think."

DoraRose leads her daughter and the birdies to the memorial, and most of the Ferravalians follow, placing leaves and Autumn flowers at its base. Blisa, having escaped the mother mouse, comes up to the Abbot and bows slightly. "I'm afraid we can't stay, Benar, Ciocan. There are so few of us Ferravalians left that we feel uncomfortable leaving our village for too long. We shall come back for the funeral for Marek. Thank you for your hospitality. Should the Abbey need anything we can offer, please let us know." She smiles then returns to her villagers and bodyguards, and they all melt into the night, returning to their home.

Benar reaches out and takes Sinway's sword, he then nods to the newest member of the order, "I will see to it that it is placed someplace safe. A place where the Abbot alone can reach it Sinway." He then turns to Blisa and inclines his head "Thank you for coming, if your village needs anything do let us know."

Ewan looks around, glaceing at others as they head inside he stays where he is, he still has to make some friends or well more friends he has a couple he is fairly sure of that.

Tarsa looks at the beaver and shrugs "I'm fine. Just wish I had word on..something is all, but I am fine sir" Nope she is worried but tries to not show it here.

Gorvenalus nods "Alright then, I need to head inside , excuse me." He quietly heads inside after a couple moments.

Sinway bows to the abbot "Thank you Father, now if you will excuse me, I best get to the infirmary, before they have to pull a novice away to come get me, again." He chuckles and makes his way towards the abbey

Oz stays where he is and listens quietly as others speak, he quietly speaks with the champion Matilda "Wish..wish I didn't feel so helpless right now." Matilda frowns and pats Oz on the shoulder "Your recovering.." Oz frowns a little "I can't even stand on my own, let alone walk"

DoraRose turns and leads her daughter and the birds towards the Abbey, stopping to speak with the Abbot and the Badger Lord. "Thank you for coming to our aid, Ciocan. I'm sorry you lost so much defending our freedom. I shudder to think of what might have happened if you hadn't arrived when you did. Thank you." She smiles. "Thank goodness we are free now. Let's go eat." Lily, still wiping away tears, breaks away from her mother as they head to the Great Hall, and the Bell ringer and her bird friends wander through the orchards before joining everyone at the meal. She has her own personal loss she still has to mourn over......

Benar remains by the Cenotaph, making himself available to all who want to speak to him before the Abbot will return inside with the Badger Lord. It has been a sad day here in Redwall and a long one but what everyone needed.

Adrian moves to head toward the Great Hall as well, remaining silent the whole way.

Ewan starts to speak to Benar and decides....later, its better to later as he walks over to where Oz and the Champion is and nods a hello"He is..ok right?"

Tarsa is one of the last hares to go inside, she makes sure the others go in first before she heads inside as well. The log-a-log Aella follows with her shews after a short while as they too head inside.

Oz tilts his head and nods "I am...fine."He will try and get up on his own only to fail badly and frowns.

Ciocan goes over quickly and helps Oz to stand, the two talk a couple minutes before the Badger Lord helps Oz inside.

Benar follows the two inside, staying close to the two.

Ewan heads inside.....likely last but he goes inside and at first avoids others and then seems to make a couple friends, a couple novice, well he hopes they are friends...he needs friends.

The Great Hall has food, music, beasts talk of the good times, funny things of friends and family. They enjoy food and drink and good fellowship.

Lacota helps to serve food and then gets some himself and sits down as well, but he will make sure hares don't invade his kitchens, he has trusted guards at the doors to the kitchen.

Oz is helped inside by Lord Ciocan and the Badger Lord even gets him from food, then Oz, Ciocan and Benar sit quietly beside one another and talk, when Oz falls asleep they let him stay in the chair, it is Oz's chair anyways.

I play:
Brother Gorvenalus-Redwall Abbey Recorder,  Private Cole,a runner, of the Long Patrol
Oz( Yes named after Papa Oz) young adult and Novice in Redwall.

Board footer