Redwall MUCK Forum

Redwall MUCK is an interactive, multiplayer text game set in Brian Jacques' Redwall universe.

Visit RWMUCK.ORG for more info!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-10-24 11:07:12 PM

Lutea
Website

Opportunities and Change - LP Log

Follows: http://forum.rwmuck.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1894#p1894

Salamandastron: Infirmary
Ft. Jinora, Zolomon, Varus, Monty

Several hours have passed since the incident in the Tavern. Lieutenant Jinora had dropped off Privates Monty and Zolomon at the infirmary while she went to speak with Brigadier Paisely... She returns, now to the Infirmary. She is in uniform, now - but it is a different one. The jacket is a different color, and the insignia is that of a Major - not a Lieutenant. Her eyes are hard and hollow, and her expression grim. She did not earn this. "Privates." She sighs as she returns to the infirmary, gaze lingering on Monty. His condition wasn't her problem before... But now... She clears her throat. "Obviously some things need t'be discussed." She did not earn this.   

Zolomon has a major headache but he sits up and frowns, he already knows the news and strightens up as he is quiet for now, sorrys can be said later.He gives a salute and notices the change of uniform and frowns. He is at attention, headache yes but at atention still. Quiet as yeah he knows the news, he delivered it and lived the news.   

There's a clamor of loud voices out in the corridor, and commotion. Snatches of the loud discussion can be heard. "Duty... No discipline, wot!...Quinten? Is he... I demand... A MAJAH is wot I am... Yah superiahs..."   

Enough time had passed for Monty to calm himself, and the buck is no longer the hysterical mess he had been only a few hours earlier. He had changed out of the dirty old cloak he had been wearing, dressing in his clothes he usually wore to work in the garden. They had been cleaned, of course. Currently, the young hare sits on his cot at the far end of the room, solemnly silent, though his mind continues to race and constantly go over the events of the previous evening. He had a piece of parchment sitting in his lap, which he distractedly sketches on with a charcoal pencil. As Jinora enters the room, he looks up, eyes focusing on his friend, and he watches her quietly with a somber expression. He seems to understand the severity of the situation, though he does not yet speak.   

"No beast is in th'best state righ' now. We all know wha' 'appened in Mossflower, an' we... 'Ave t'adjust t'that." Major Jinora begins with obvious discomfort, and she winces at the commotion in the corridor. She ignores it. "Private Zolomon, ye... Are not of m'command, and ye are off duty. As tis, I will advise ye t'avoid public places if ye cannot keep from makin' a spectacle of yeself. We /need/ t'keep our low numbahs as good a secret as we can. Tha' information cin undo us." This stiffness brought by her new position seems to weigh heavy on the too-young Major - she wasn't ready for this, she did not earn it. "Monty." She sighs. "Ye... Are in my unit." Her unit. The unit she was forced upon by the death of so many better beasts. "An' I am goin' t'ask ye to make a difficult decision."   

Zolomon takes a deep breath "I am..s..sorry. I understand."Likely they thought it was about the ghost foxes, he sighs"I'm sorry...Major."He is fine with avoiding the tavern for a few days, and he will. This is hard on him as well, he saw new friends die, a private die in front of him, delivering that news to a healer here and later other news of a death, not of the patrol but still a death to a friend in Halyard.He frowns and stays quiet now.   

Whereas Monty had been so thrilled and happy in that moment when he had been reactivated, he now feels a sinking feeling in his chest at Jinora's words. He seems to understand where this is going, and he can feel his heart beginning to fracture and shatter into tiny pieces though he does his best to remain stoic. "Yes, sah..." he replies, his voice quiet, as his eyes drop to the parchment in his lap. He stares at it awhile, just waiting to hear what he knew he would hear. "I will do whatever is in the best interest for the Patrol, sah."   

The commotion in the hall dies down a little. Seems somebeast has been moderately placated. The discussion can't be heard anymore... But then another hare strolls right into the Infirmary. It's Varus, *again*. "I hope I'm not intrudin', wot, but th' Gatekeepah tol' me that all tha' leadahs are busy an' cannot be diturbed. Wot an annoyance. Where is Quinten?"   

She was made aware of Varus' re-instatement, and dips her head respectfully to him when he enters. Her arm itches, ready to snap to attention and salute a superior - but he isn't a superior, is he? That voice continues to weigh on her: you did not earn this. "Majah." She greets. "M'not aware where General Quinten is, per'aps th'Library at this time." She sighs and turns back to Monty. "Private... The Long Patrol is nay fer th'weak of 'eart or mind. We may 'ave reinstated ye too soon... I dinnae want t'discharge ye from th'Patrol. I don't. We cannae afford less 'ares righ' now: so I will give ye a choice." She folds her paws behind her back. "I'd like ye t'be one of th'hares t'travel about in search of recruits. If ye find y'self out there, it'll be worth it. They've requested runnahs, bu' I've requested an exception. It is this, a temporary station at Redwall, or..." She winces. She doesn't need to finish that sentence.

Zolomon stays somewhat quiet, but he does add "Private..Ewan is at the abbey right now...ta stay." He is then quiet and saultes Varus and then lowers his paw into his lap again. Hopefully no questions, he had to answer too many with a couple other leaders, it wasn't fun.   

Monty is simply waiting to hear the words he dreads the most, and when they don't come...well, at least not in the way he thought they would...the buck blinks. He merely stares at Jinora as he attempts to wrap his mind around what she had suggested, a paw lifting to rub at the back of his neck as he turns the words over in his head. "A recruitment mission...?" As Varus enters the room, Monty gives the older hare a salute. "SAH!" He remembers speaking with him in the tavern a few days before this, and seemed to get along well with him at the time. Turning attention back to Jinora, he speaks softly. "Travel about? So...does it mean I would have to leave the mountain, Jin? Oh...m'sorry, I mean..." he blushes as he realizes his gaffe, and quickly tries to correct it, "I mean SAH." His gaze drops to his lap again, finding the whole 'friend as superior' situation rather awkward. "So I do this, I can remain part of the Patrol?"   

Varus is currently still entirely oblivious that he's been reinstated. The Gatekeeper he'd had a "strongly worded discussion" with apparently hadn't gotten the memo yet. "Tha Library, yah say? Just like ol' Quinten, always was a bookworm, wot." He casts a withering glance at Zolomon, and shakes his head disapprovingly. Giving Monty a much more sympathetic glance, he says, "Banishment ta bloomin' Redwall, eh? I'm sorrah ta hear it, Lad. Yah remind me of mah son, almost..."   

"Aye. Part'a th'Patrol - an important part. We need more 'ares, an' this... Would be an oppurtunity t'figure some things out." Jinora lets Monty decide what that means, and raises an eyebrow at his slip-up. "Aye, well." She clears her throat. "Ye'll 'ave time t'heal an' get yer affairs in ordah. They haven't assigned anothah, yet. I'm puttin' ye on leave for three days t'rest. Aftah tha', yer trainin' re-doubles until ye set off." She offers a small smile to Varus - poor, oblivious, Varus... These sods are his problem now, too. "Nay a banishment t'Redwall. Private Monty will be settin' out t'travel in th'name of th'Patrol. Get us more recruits." She turns back to Zolomon and sighs again. "Feel bettah, Private?" She asks him.   

Zolomon nods "Yes..Major."He looks to Varus and seems about to tell him he is sort of a Major again but is not gonna risk being in trouble, so a small hint with a nod "Sorry ealier...Major Varus..sur..." He takes a wild guess, this is Varus most likely. He stays focused.   

Varus still can't help but feel sorry for Monty. He likes the lad. He doesn't like Zolomon yet, though. "Aye, that's Majah Varus Trinius Visurgis Swiftbuck II, Esquire. An' don't yah forget it, Private. I'm goin' ta have a lengthy chat with yah Superiahs, wot, about yah stunnin' lack o' discipline."   

Monty allows a smile to crease his muzzle upon hearing Varus' words. "Thank you, sah, that means a lot. I think. I hope your son was a bally good bloke." To Jinora's words, "I...understand, sah. And I really appreciate you trusting me enough for such an important mission. As much as I love the Patrol, I think this may be right up my alley. Thank you..." The buck has to do his best not to go over and hug the stuffing out of her. "Thank you for not....y'know..." The buck shrugs, "...doing THAT. Because I know I sure as bloody deserve it after how I acted this evening. I am so sorry, sah." His gaze shifts downwards again, paws wringing in his usual nervous gesture. "   

"Private Montgomery, yer an asset... Ye jus'... May not always see it." She assures him, taking a step back as if she can /feel/ that affection and wants to get as far away from it as possible. Jinora clears her throat. "Er, a word?" She asks, speaking to Varus, now.   

Zolomon listens to the name, the last name "Your son is Adrian..right sur?" He speaks, he then goes silent, maybe...yeah its Jinora's job to speak of the ....all the deaths , but he will add "He got wounded but he is alive ...sur" Any other news Jinora can update on.   

Varus kind of just... Glares. At Zolomon. "Mah fam'ly is of no importance at th' moment." And then he turns to Jinora. "Ah, yes, Lieu..." The older buck gets a good, long look at her uniform. "Majah? Mah eyesight must be worse than I thought it was, wot. I could swear you were dressed as a Lieutenant earliah... They're promotin' hares youngah an' youngah than evah these days..."   

Monty finds himself blushing at Jinora's compliment. "Thank you, sah. I just....I...well...I mean....thank you..." He fidgets a bit, seeming to be returning to his old awkward self again, at least for the time being. Upon hearing Varus, the buck cannot help but smile. "Sah, if you don't mind me saying so, if there was anyone in the Mountain who deserved to be promoted, it's Jin. T'be honest, there's no one else I'd trust my life with more than her, she's proven herself time and time again, even if she won't tell you that." He winces a little at the ache in his ribs, though he does his best to push it out of his mind. "I'm looking forward to....to getting back to training...after my leave is done, sah." Something seems to hit him suddenly, "When I go, who will take care of the garden?"   

The comment stings, but Jinora cannot help but agree with it. "Aye - ah... Well... This is a /very/ recent development." She clears her throat, her own complexion reddening as Monty lays on the compliments. "M'first act as Majah is t'have brown-nosahs thrown from th'Sentry Towah." She decides, though it is said with a soft smile. "Varus, sah - ah... There 'ave been other... Developments as well. Brigadier Tuftington 'as requested t'speak with ye, as it were. Ye an' I may want t'get a drink, aftah." She nods towards the door as she goes to leave, but pauses to look back at Monty. "Guess ye'll 'ave t'send us back some suitable replacements, ye will." She nods again, and slips back into the Corridor. She did not earn this.   

Zolomon frowns "Its..important sur, offiical news from his Lordship. And your son was thar sur but he is coming back with the others that are returning. I am sorry if I am upsetting you and I don't mean to sur, its just...well your hear the news here in a few morments"   

Varus is completely at a loss for words at this point. "Brig Tuftington? We nevah did see eye ta eye... Is she wantin' ta rehash *that* again? Mah recahd is spotless, wot." To Zolomon, he sighs. "Thank you, Private... I'd best go see wot this is about." He tosses a lazy salute to Monty. "Mayhaps we'll see each othah again someday, wot..."

Last edited by Lutea (2018-10-24 11:18:52 PM)

Lutea, Aden, Samara, Mary, Nautch, Jinora, Kympa, Isla, Rionach, and Jion
Avatar is a free base from Ace_Coyote on FA that I edited over

Board footer