Redwall MUCK Forum

Redwall MUCK is an interactive, multiplayer text game set in Brian Jacques' Redwall universe.

Visit RWMUCK.ORG for more info!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-07-19 07:02:27 PM

Ol'random
Website

A Good Night After All - LP Log 7/19/18

Ewan, the hare,
Terrence, another hare,
and a whole bunch of spoofs by me and Ewan.

Sometime in the Afternoon...

The training room is surprisingly empty today, besides a lone hare practicing with a sling. Whirling it around his head, the hare lets the stone go free suddenly. "Ah, blast it." Terrence says, as he misses the target again, "Bloody thing's a nightmare to use..." The door opens, and one of the older leverats, acting as a sort of cadet, scurries in - holding a message. "Sir!" The young hare says with salute. "Ol' sarge said he wanted you to look over this." Terrence raises an eyebrow as he takes the paper, as if to ask for more detail. "Orders for today!" The cadet says, then leaves, his duty done. Orders in paw, the corporal goes over to a bench and sits, adjusting his spectacles, and starts to read. The expression on his face is not one of amusement.

Ewan steps into the room, he slows as he sees the other hare and decides maybe it's not the best time to do any training, maybe some training later would be good.

Terrence looks up from his reading, nodding to the newcomer. "Hello there!" He stands, stretching. "Just one of the beasts I was looking for!" Making his way over to put some of the training equipment away, he adds, over his shoulder, "Don't think there'll be any training need today, mate! Gonna be busy! Just gotta clean all this, and I'll tell you the rest."   
Ewan smiles as he seems glad of no training "A day off? Someone did mention a possible day off but to ask officers in charge about it first of course."   

"Day off?" Terrence asks, incredulous, "Don't make me laugh! Exact opposite, wot!" The hare stands from were he was pacing all the missed stones. "Gonna be doing the real thing, private." He turns, making his way to the door. "Follow me! Ol' sarge'll brief us after we get a few others, wot wot!" One can tell the corporal's excited - as this will be the first time in action for some time.   

Ewan blinks but goes to follow. He will make sure his headfur is kept neat and in order. He also gets his dirk and folows the other hare quickly "Right sur..right away sur" This is likely his first day with any real action and he right away hopes it's not too much action.

Terrence looks over his shoulder as he heads down the passage to a meeting room. "Say," he asks, "You happen to know privates Worrik and Dav? The others in our patrol are busy - those two were the ones to sub. Meaning we'll have to work with them." The hare shrugs. "Never met them myself, and was wondering if y'know anything, wot?"   

Ewan shakes his head "I...don't talk to too many sur usually just do the training drills and get a meal, then rest and repeat. I have meet the Lord himself once but he seemed distracted and busy at the time, then he is..well main one in charge of all of us "   
Terrence nods. "Right then. The lord's always busy, by the way - so don't worry 'bout that!" He stops in front of one of the side doors, looking it up and down. "Number 16. Right then! Here we are. Hopefully we aren't late..." The corporal opens the door, stepping inside. "You coming?" He asks as he enters.   

Ewan nods as he enters slowly. Least his uniform is clean and since he didnt do any training yet today its not dirty right now, always good to make a good first impression as he walks in standing tall and stright and at attention, listening closely.

The room is occupied. At one end, two younger hares, male and female, sit on a bench. At the other is the sergeant - handlebar mustache recently waxed and wearing his parade uniform, complete with all his medals. He glares at the newcomers with his one good eye, the other hidden or absent under an eyepatch. "You're just on time, wot." He growls. "Getting sloppy on me, corporal?" Terrence freezes, snapping to salute. "No sah!"   

Ewan stays at attention and waits to see what is needed to do. Well so far he is good with paying attention, maybe he has gotten some practice in lately as he waits to see what is going on.

"No matter, at ease..." The sergeant looks Ewan up and down, waving him to sit down with the others. "Corporal, with me." He says to Terrence, who goes to stand next to him as the sergeant faces the three hares. "Right then. Any questions before we begin?"   

Ewan sits down and, well he has no questions as his guess is they are answered as they find out what is going to happen and when, even where as he shakes his head no and shows he is ready to listen.   

The other male private, Worrick, smiles at Ewan as he sits, but doesn't say anything. Dav remains looking at the sarge. "No questions? Good." The sergeant says, tapping his side sword. "It seems, up aways in Halyard, there's a few drunk seats causing some trouble." Sargent Laskey begins, eyeing the three. "You - and the corporal here," he gestures to Terrence with a wave of the paw, "'Ave got to go up and put an end to the ruckus before some poor beast gets hurt! It will be bit of policing action, I know, but what can you do? Ol' command wants to keep things on a down low, so they're sending you lot - got the job because it isn't anything big, minor issue. And you can handle that. If we didn't do anything, we could have a riot on our paws, wot!"   

Ewan nods "So..stop some...rats then sur?"   

"Aye. The sergeant nods. "...And another thing," he adds, after a brief pause, "We aren't expecting fighting nor do we /want/ any fighting, so don't attack any beast unless ordered to or attacked first. And you shan't kill anyone unless absolutely required, do I make myself clear?" He gives each beast in the room an equally long look at that. Satisfied that his point was conveyed, he leans back slightly. "Over to you, corporal." Terrence nods, stepping up. "We'll have standard weapons for this," The younger hare says, "Spear, side blade, sling. Won't need much in terms of armor, its not like we're charging into battle, eh?"   

Ewan nods so his dirk should be fine he hopes "Right sur" He says and does his best to stay at attention. The killing part, he seems glad to not have to kill anyone, he rather not really unless of course he has no other choice.

The other two privates chorus the same. "Right sah!" The sergeant looks over to Terrence, nodding. "I'll you to it, corporal. Good luck!" "Sah!" He replies, once more snaping to salute - as do the other two hares as Laskey leaves the room.

Ewan also saluts and then relaxs "So..I guess off we go?" He sounds a little worried, but then again they weretold its not that bad, a simple in and out right?He is ready to go though, either way and waits for when to go and will follow.   

"To the armory first." Terrence says, as he too starts to exit. "Come on! Haven't got all day!" Worrick starts to follow, but Dav looks over at Ewan. "I'm Dav, by the way - the other one's Worrick."   

Ewan nods "Ewan"He is a little too nervous to give his long name and nods as the ygot to the armory "Wot tis here? I have a dirk sir...."

Terrence nods. "Yes, what a fine dirk it is!" He says, going to a rack of spears and tossing one to the other each in turn. "But you still need a spear, and a sling." Dav and Worrick, spears in hand, go about collecting the other weapons needed.   

Ewan nods and manages to catch the spear first try and smiles, he also gets a sling "I am...not good with the sling but will try sur" Spear he knows is fairly simple.   

"Don't worry." Worrick says to him, "Don't have to use. Just standard equipment, mate. We all need to have it." The corporal turns to face them all, ready. "Right then! Got everything?" The two hares nod. "And Ewan, just stick close to me! You'll do fine!" Terrence adds.   
Ewan nods"Right sur" His first mission and he is not excited, should he be? Well he is not right now and thats clear but he is ready to go."I am ready then sur"   

Terrence smiles. "Come along then! Off to Halyard, we are!" He leaves, Worrick and Davs following. They're making their way down the passage to the northern gate within moments.

Ewan follows, he still feels ready as they walk along and it wil be his first time in the city after all. He had planed to go, but on a day off not so much right now but off he goes anyways.   

As the small group step out into the sun, Terrence looks back at them. "What a nice day for it, eh?" It really is. Blue skies, a breeze from the ocean... They start heading north.   

Ewan nods "Sunny days are nice"He smiles as maybe things will be ok after all, what can happen that is bad on a sunny day after all.

After a long walk...

Some time later, with the sun lower towards the horizon, the sounds of seagulls can be heard - mixed with the sound of a lively port. As Terrence rises a sand dune, he points. "There she is! Ol' Halyard!" Worrick is wipes his brow saying. "Bloody well hope there's time to get a drink - hotter than I thought..."   

Ewan looks at the view up ahaead "Wow..it looks intresting, not seen a place this..large before sir, usually a boat area...well is like a couple small boats, but..but this is...whoaa" He blinks and takes it all in, he is clearly less worried now and curious of the port now. He nods "A drink would be nice and maybe taste the food ere' too sur"   

Terrence makes a mental note to ask for waterskins as standard equipment. "Water, first." He says, making his way down the dune. "Food can wait till after we deal with the rats!" Worrick sighs, following. Dav just shrugs, calling, "Right!" Then also follows. And stops, as Terrence stops. The corporal turns, looking at each of them. "Y'know what? After we complete the job I'll take you all out here - dinner's on me."

Ewan smiles at that idea and nods. He glaces around for where the rat trouble might be and stays alert as he also listens to the others.   
Terrence signals them to move forward. "Dav, Worrick - take the left." As he moves right, he adds, "Ewan, with me!" The two on the left advance into the town, on the far side of the street.   

Ewan nods and thats close as he is told to do so. He starts to lay a paw on his dirk and then remembers its not needed , least right now as he just stays alert for sounds and movement around him. He almsot trips once but quickly stands up stighter before anyone can notice him almost falling.   

The street they entered from is oddly empty. Terrence motions Ewan to follow him as he rounds a corner - but nothing but a few beasts, going about their evening business. Dav and Worrick call over the same from their side. "Hmm... Suppose it'd be further in, eh?" The corporal mutters, glancing at Ewan. "Suppose we can relax, a bit..."

Ewan nods but he is still alert as he is unsure. He was always told stories from his brother and father how vermin can be tricky and to never trust one at all. "They are..hiding maybe sur?"   

"No..." Terrence responds, pointing a paw forward. "There they are, I think." Having rounded another corner, the two are confronted with a sizable crowd - surrounding what appears to be a boxing match between searats. Dav and Worrick come up behind the other two hares, nodding to Ewan.   

Ewan nods and watches "They...seem to be fighting one another sur...wot do we do then? He asks quietly.

"Break it up, o' course!" Terrence says, stepping out more fully into the street. "OI!" He calls, over the noise of the crowd. "Break it up! Shouldn't have fighting in the streets, y'know, wot!" Some beasts seem to hear him, and some of those do heed his words, recognizing the patrol, and some of the crowd turns to look at the hares. The rats both pause, turning, but one, having just been hit squarely on jaw, slumps to the ground as he does so, out cold.   

Ewan follows the older hare and stops.He stays lert and is ready for anything that may happen. He looks from where he is at the passed out rat and the one keeping an eye on the hares, He stays alert and at attention wating on any other orders on what to do, if anything.   

"Yeah?" One of the bystanders, another searat, calls out. "An' what d'you think y'll do if we don'?" A ferret nearby elbows him, pointing to the now out cold rat. "Oh...eh...Neveh mind... Dang, already out..." Terrence bristles at the initial words, but relaxes. "Don't be fighting in the streets!" He says, realizing how easily things could go south if they - especially he- aren't careful. Dav and Worrick give each other a look.   

Ewan frowns but stays quiet, he is not about to make this worse and he does manage to stay quiet, somehow just barely anyhow but he stays close to the other hares.   

"Okay?" Terrence says again, the whole thing turning into an awkward mess. Some of beast mull about, not knowing what to do. Some, though, like the seat who won the match, makes a rude gesture towards the hares, saying, "We'll d'what we *hiccup* want, y'funny rabbitsh!" The searat clearly is drunk.   

A couple other rats are close to Ewan and chuckle, he spins around as he didn't see the two rats ealier as the rats grin and one says "What ya..longears, ya bunny..hee heee."Ewan starts to speak and just stops himself and looks back to the other rat and then these two rats. Well so far no one is drawing any weapons.   

Speaking of weapons, Terrence and the others do have their spears in paw. Which probably has helped things not utterly go to heck in a hand-basket for he four hares. The searats, though now jeering, are staying a safe distance away. "Any ideas on how to fix this?" Worrick asks quietly, looking nervously at the crowd. Terrence doesn't answer. "We do have the butts of our spears to use as batons, if need be." Dav offers.   

Ewan nods as he almost forgot the spear, he has that and does his best to stay alert"Ummm....so far they are staying away" He says quietly, though one does get brave and ventures closer to the group of hares and his breath is..horrble "Hellllloooooo...bunnnnnyyyyy...heeee heeee....bunnies....."   

Luckily, not all of the beasts gathered are blackout drunk. A ferret, probably a friend of the brave rat, goes to grab at him. "Oi mate, maybe y'shouldn' go afta' them hare's with their spears an' all tha'!" He says, rather franticly. Terrence lowers his spearpoint, aiming the tip towards the advancing rat. He motions the others to do the same. "Oi, stand down, wot! Listen to your friend - don't do something stupid now!"

Ewan nods and lowers his spear and stays calm, very calm and quiet least he say something dumb..the rat is pulled back and has a laughing fit and then prceeds to vomit up what ever he had to eat ealier and groans as he drops to his knees. One disadvantage of being drunk and drinking too much, you may well get sick. Ewan frowns but is alert, ever alert as he watches a couple rats decide to leave and head elsewhere, wise rats.   

The ferret grabs at the rat now, turning his nose up in disgust. "Oh, now y'bloody well gone an' done it! ugh....what in hellsgates d'y'eat?!" The smell of the vomit bothers most of the hares as well, but Terrence takes a step back, raising his spear. Far as he can tell, there wasn't any danger to be too terribly worried about.   

Ewan stays alert and coughs a little but manages to not throw up himself as he looks at the rat who is clearly not a danger now and semi- coniousness now."W..Wot not?" He whispers.   

"Come on mate!" The ferret says, rather loudly, trying to make sure the hares hear him, "Lets no' bother th'nice hares with them spears any more, aye?" He offered a paw to the confused rat, at the same time giving a nervous smile - more of grimace, really - to the hares. Terrence nods to him. "You'll take care of the rat, and see to he doesn't get in anymore trouble, wot?"   

The rat is led off as Ewan looks around to make sure no other trouble is around, but he is unsure of weather he can relax yet or not.   

The crowd had more or less broken up at this point, having been robbed of it momentum by the ferret. Sighing, Terrence shakes his head. "Bloody awful handling on my part, wot!" He mutters. Again, the two other hares share a look. "So... Think there's any more of them, sah?" One of them asks. "Not that I can tell, no..." The corporal responds, shrugging.   
Ewan smiles and blinks as his stomach growls and his ears droop "Seems.....stress makes one bally well hungry"He manages a chuckle, well if days are like this training won't be too bad after all.   

Annnd there it is. Terrence's shoulders droop, as he starts to come to terms with the fact he'll be broke by the time the four of them are done eating. "Oh, that's right, didn't ya say you'd pay for dinner 'round here when we were done, sah?" Dav asks, brightening up. "I...did." he responds, after a moment's pause. "Suppose that's...now. Come on, then. Wot."

Ewan nods and joyfully follows the hares to the tavern, or where ever they are going to have dinner at. Tonight started a little bad but ended just fine, he was stressed but now he can feel better and relax, and hey get some food and drink also.

~

Needless to say, by the end of the night, Terrence was looking at his now rather empty pocketbook, the piles and piles of dishes stacked around him, and the mildly impatient waiter waiting for a tip. Dav and Worrick were on their 4th and 5th drinks, respectively, singing old marching songs together off key with a few of the other patrons of the tavern, and having quite a time of it.   

"BuuuuuUUUUUUUUt the hares of the Long Patrol, my lads,"   
"Muh LADS!"   
"Stout hearts they walk with me,"   
"With ME!"   
"O'er hill an' plain an' back again!"   
"Aaaaaaaaagaaaaaaaain!!!"

Ewan chuckles and eats the food he has ordered and enjoy the evening, even tries some ale. Its a good night after all.

Last edited by Ol'random (2018-07-20 12:27:22 PM)

I play Atticus, John, Lossow, Terrence, and Spruce
The Long Patrol Landing Page!
Usually on the MUCK Saturdays + Monday & Wednesday evenings if I have the time
Fastest way to reach me is via my Discord: Luke_SkyOtter#1438

Board footer