Redwall MUCK Forum

Redwall MUCK is an interactive, multiplayer text game set in Brian Jacques' Redwall universe.

Visit RWMUCK.ORG for more info!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-07-05 06:23:26 PM

oz

Patch Is In Charge Of The Tavern..No More!-Ferravale Log

Who:
Patch-Spy,Tavern Worker,Annoying rat

John-Warrior Squirrel

Blisa-Ferravale Chieftain

Marek-Ferravale Ambassator,Ferravale Tavern Owner

Rainbow- Blackbird messenger

Couple spoofed ravens

spoofed guards and varies Tavern Beasts

Log:

FV:Tavern
Outside a sign swings on a rusty creaking frame above the doorway of the tavern depicting a faded painting of what appears to be three rather rich looking skeletons slumped over a table around a black chalice, perhaps such a thing could be taken as a warning but it doesn't appear to work on the locals. The noise within on a normal day is usually heard before the door is even opened and only rises in volume when one actually steps inside.
There are the typical qualities of a tavern within, from the bar to the chairs and booths and the odd drunk who never seems to move it's the little details which encourage a patron to pay his tab if he likes his fingers. One look at some of the staff or customers might give the impression but the room is decorated to the fiercer tastes with bones, mostly skulls cropping up here and there to fill a gap on a shelf or decorating the walls above the doorways, fireplace and bar, a pair of axes joining the one over the fire with some signs that they've been yanked off to join in a fight a couple of times. Some of the comfier chairs are lined with fur and very rarely one might be found with a few pointed bits of bone to decorate the back. Despite the looks there is entertainment and fun to be had, some form of music usually played on a small stage in the corner and at least one bouncer usually tries to keep the peace while beasts gamble, drink and be merry.
A small door behind the bar leads out the back to the kitchen and cellars while one wall has been opened up in a wide arch to increase the space off into the next room where what seems to be a wooden fence with gates on either end has been set up as a fighting pit as further entertainment and something to bet over.

Patch is at the tavern, he usually is and right now he seems to be enjoying himself and placing bets for who kicks butt better in the fighting pits and who doesn't. He is also serving drinks and...well being a little rude as a ferret hmmmphs and walks away "Yeah that's right ya walk away loser"

Coming from the street, a squirrel stops in front of the door, looking up at the tavern sign with a sigh. After a moment or so, he straightens up, going in, making his way rather boldly to the bar. After ordering a drink, he turns around to face the room. His gaze, seemingly uninterested, drifts over the crowd, before settling on the serving rat. John turns as the drink is set before him, taking a long swig. He asks something of the bartender in a hushed voice, making a slight gesture towards Patch. The squirrel nods as he hears the bartenders answer. "I see."

Patch looks over at John, ok why is he being pointed out "Problem bushtail? I am in charge..." He just stares at the squirrel and then gets an ale for a rather tall fox with an eye patch.

"Are you now?" John responds with a raise of his eyebrow. "Word of advice - it's best not to be rude to the beasts who pay. Gonna run this place into the ground if you keep it up." The squirrel taps the bar, looking around. "Anyway, I don't think you'll have much longer here, anyway." He looks at the rat again, standing to face him, "So tell me, Patch, is there anything you've heard you'd like to tell me? I know you've told 'what you can' to the nice guards here, but from what I can tell, you're not one to let everything out in one go. You know," he adds, giving a smile that doesn't reach his eyes, "I wasn't planning on running into you - or asking you anything, but now," he taps the small knife he has at his belt. "I think I will. Are you going to oblige me?" He doesn't seem to care that he's saying all this in a rather open room.

Patch arches an eyebrow at the squirrel "Info for what, info costs bossy squirrel and..I do work here and the owner isn't here..sooooooo"He smirks "Leaves old Patch ta run things, hee hee...so be a good squirrel and sit down...kay?" He looks over at the fighting pits and starts laughing "Oh yeah..I KNEW that ferret was a loser"

John nods towards the door. "How 'bout this? You be a nice rat and take step outside with me." The squirrel, who happens to be wearing his full gear, takes a step towards Patch. "Now." The last word was said with venom. John clearly isn't in the mood for taking any more crap.

And just at that moment, who should enter but the Chieftain of Ferravale? Blisa enters, flanked by Ferdinand, Clarissa, Valerie, and Hank, who is testing the edge of his battle axe with his thumb and scowling darkly at it. The young cat raises an eyebrow and merely asks in a calm voice, "Patch, what did you do this time?"

Patch just smirks "Ohhh....make me" He seems to dare and just chuckles and goes to get a couple mugs to wash and slides an ale over to a weasel.

"Didn't do anything!" John smiles to the chieftain. "He just agreed to answer a few questions! /Out. Side./" That last part was for Patch's benefit, as he makes a grab for the rat's arm. "You're the chieftain Blisa, right? Rather nice day for it!"

Blisa looks between the 2 of them, blinking slowly. "Patch, why aren't you answering his questions like a decent creature? You are literally the most irritating beast I know." "And that'th thaying thomething," Ferdinand mutters. The other bodyguards stifle chuckles. Almost all Ferravalians have heard Basilisk the snake whining and complaining /very loudly/ at one point or another.

Patch slips out a dagger and starts to stab the squirrel and then seems to think better of it and puts the dagger away "He didn't ask any, tell him to go away and...and climb a tree maybe" He snorts and then speaks "Hurry up then, out with it what ya want?"

"You know what?" John says, as he sees the dagger, "Screw it. Forgive me this little bit of letting lose, chieftain." The squirrel throws a punch to the side of the rat's snout with his left paw, his right paw aiming another one for Patch's stomach. Clearly the threat of the dagger was the last straw in terms of John's patience.

Blisa's eyes go wide, but she says nothing. Instead, she (followed by her slightly more on-edge bodyguards) calmly walks over to the bar, goes behind it, gets a goblet and a bottle of wine, pours herself some, then, after putting the wine away, goes back around to the guest side of the bar, sits on a stool, and drinks her wine. Merely watching as the squirrel threatens to beat the snot out of the snarky rat. meh. He'll be fine. She can stop them if the woodlander tries to commit murder. Some of the more drunk beasts in the tavern cheer. Seems they find the spy annoying, too.

Patch is not saved? The punch connects with his snout and some blood trickles out, the 2nd he manages to purposely move, or he just leans a little too far back in the chair and him and chair hit the floor as he groans. The chair is broken, to make matters worse it was the tavern owners favorite chair as the rat sits up and then his eyes go wide "Oh..." And the next word is not so good, hopefully no dibbuns in here right now. He looks at the chieftain and the squirrel. nose a bit bloody now "Well...so...nice day huh?"

John smiles, though it looks more like a barring of teeth. "Nice day." He kicks, aiming with his boot towards the nose again. Seems like he wants it broken. "Would've been even nicer had you been cooperative! No beast to blame but yourself!" The squirrel makes a mental note of just /how/ unwilling the beasts in the tavern are to help the rat. "So, are you going to be cooperative now?"

"I don't think breaking his nose is necessary," Blisa finally says, watching her wine as she swirls it in her goblet. The bodyguards are watching her and the whole scene closely. Valerie, the Healer in the group, is watching the Chieftain especially closely. She doesn't like how nonchalant the cat is being about this whole thing. "Patch, if you would only cooperate, this kind of stuff wouldn't happen. Now, Mister Squirrel...I'm sorry, but I seem to not know your name?" She gives him enough of a pause to tell her, then continues, "Please let Patch up. You can ask him a question, and we'll see how he responds." Looking to the rat, she adds, "And Patch, if you don't cooperate and answer his questions with the truth, I'll let him beat you up a little more. Okay? Okay, good," she states, not letting anyone answer. She takes another sip of wine and sees what happens next.

Patch is smart and moves just in time and holds up the broken chair seat as a shield, he stays quiet also and just stays seated "Questions...sure..answers..I may or may not know, I knows a lot of things and clearly somethings surprise me like...a brother?" Ok he is still shocked on that one.

The squirrel steps back, letting out a sigh. He seemed to have been contemplating dragging the rat out be his tail until the cat spoke. "Fine then." John takes out his own dagger, just in case the rat get's some funny idea, "Patch, how 'bout you start speaking? Who's this brother of yours?"

Blisa raises an eyebrow. "Wait, brother? What brother?" She looks to the rat now, utterly confused. Since when did he have a brother? What were they talking about before she even got in here? She takes another sip of her wine. Valerie, Hank, Ferdinand, and Clarissa all get water. No alcohol for them while they're on duty!

Patch sighs "Not my brother...Marek's remember..Ormaz...tall and creepy has smoke bombs...."

Ferro walks in and looks over at Patch and rolls his eyes before sitting down. He just listens for now.

"Oh. /Well then/." John twirls the dagger in his paw, leaning back on a chair. "Do you happen to anything else about this Ormaz - anything new, that you haven't already told?" The squirrel changes his posture, standing upright now, the dagger in his paw prepared to strike (or at least it appears to Patch that way...). "Like were he hangs out usually?"

Blisa glances at the monitor lizard....and hesitates. She's usually so friendly with him! With almost all the shopkeepers, actually! Valerie's eyebrow raises as she starts to figure out why the Chieftain is acting differently. Shaking herself slightly, the cat forces herself to wave to the Blacksmith. "Come on over, Ferro! Would you like anything to eat or drink? I was just watching this friendly woodlander" (who has still not told her his name) "try to get information out of Patch. It's pretty interesting." Yeah. She's literally just sitting there sipping wine and watching. She's kind of having a bad day, okay?

Patch finds a new chair and sits in it "Yeah ummm...if Marek asks on the chair, no one has a clue..and ok Ormaz..."He snorts "Rude..tall..Marek's younger brother and Marek knows more than me..seems Ormaz has a slaver group or..groups maybe. And Ormaz sort of been missing in action, where ever he is he is hiding and staying quiet, getting ready ta strike knowing him."

Ferro nods a hello "Ormaz...he besssssssst not try and harm my daughter......or he ssssshall die..painfully"

To be fair to John, he's been a bit preoccupied with the rat and what he has to say to really engage in pleasantries up to this point. "And? Do you have any idea where he's hiding? Along the River, perhaps?" A potentially dangerous thing, to let someone who may or may not be feeding information to the other side know you know a bit more - but at the same time it might fish an answer out of the rat. He glances over at the lizard. "I would suggest killing him painfully before he does that, mate."

Rainbow soars in through a window, the raven spreading her wings as she slows and banks and then lands with a thump of claws on the back of a chair next to Blisa. She spreads her wings and then tucks them in and turns her head, looking at the others curiously.

Blisa smiles slightly. "I think you may have to get in line for that, Ferro. From what I've heard, he's already threatened DoraRose's daughter." She takes another sip of wine. Valerie tries to take her pules, but gets batted away. Ferdinand and Hank look around the room, like they always do, and Clarissa sits on a stool. The cat glances at the raven and nods, recognizing on of the villages Nightwings. She looks like she's not in exactly the best mood, but also not in her crazy-and-going-to-murder-everyone mood. Good balance.

Patch muttters something then speaks "I said I don't know, this guy is good at hiding...too good. Now that feline isn't, saw her de other day with some rat..she was in a foul mood too."

Ferro snorts and just orders a tall ale and a plate of wild greens and cheese, and a little bit of a mushroom pastry they just made and listens quietly.

"What was that?" John says, leaning over Patch, the dagger still in his paw. "No matter- this cat. Where were the two? And what direction were they going?" The squirrel's tail twitches - he still seems to be in an irritated mood, but he has calmed down somewhat. At least enough to throw out the idea of chopping the rat's tail off.

Rainbow says, "I see the Blisa is to be having guests..." The raven stares at John, then turns to regard Patch and Ferro then hops around and looks at the cat, "Rainbow has to have been to the great Red House, the ground worm, tree hopper, AbbotKing of the Red House sends this," she pulls a rolled parchment out of the small satchel tied around one legs"

A waiter takes the lizard's order, Blisa looks the raven in the eye and smiles. Ignoring the squirrel and rat thing for now, she sets down her nearly empty wine goblet and says, "Oh, thank you." She goes to take the message and open it. "Do you have paper I can write a response on? If not, that's fine, I have plenty of spares." Once she has the message in paw and open, she reads it..

Patch glares at the squirrel and then replies "Melantha?....and I don't know de rat's name...he's stupid it seems or not so maybe....oh and there is a monitor..."He grows a little quiet but does add"And no not hi"He points at Ferro. He goes on.."They were by some path at the river...stopped some group of beasts with a couple carts I was not stupid enough ta get close with a monitor..not like the vole that tried ta....long story short it didn't get away"

John leans closer, his eyes narrowed. "And did you see were they went, by chance?" He asks, quietly- his tone is cold. "Is there anything else you want to add to that?" The squirrel seems ready to jump him if Patch decides to refuse to answer. "Really, I could use anything else that you know."

The Message itself is a simple correspondence from the Abbot on the current state of the Abbey. It also seems to include an offer of excess wheat and barley which is on offer for trade for spices should Ferravale wish to discuss terms of a suitable trade. Rainbow fishes out paper for Blisa from the pouch attached to her leg and hops softly to look at the others. "Is this talking of the grounders being about the Darkplants that have been stealing the beasts?"

Patch says, "Blackrose..the feline runs it but I think that Ormaz is like...her boss or wants to be anyways."

Blisa's brow furrows slightly. Laying the message on the counter top, she pulls a quill and ink pot out of her ever-present messenger bag, takes the paper from the Nightwing raven, and starts to write out a response. Yes, she greatly desires to discuss terms for a suitable trade for whatever the Abbey needs! What would be the best way to deliver the goods? She also informs the Abbot of how Ferravale now has a bell and belltower, and she explains that they developed ring sequences that are different enough from those the Abbey uses that hopefully nobody will get confused.

As she finishes up the letter, she answers the raven, saying, "Aye, it is. We're trying to find out all we can about the Black Rose group, and Marek's brother who has shown up. Be extra careful. I'll inform Virginia to tell the rest of the Nightwings in your next gathering what I learn today that will affect you specifically." After waving the paper around and blotting it with a cloth (and mentally berating herself for not using a pencil), the Chieftain rolls up the (still legible) letter and ties it shut with a string.

After handing it to the raven to deliver to the Abbot, the Chieftain finishes her wine and puts the empty goblet behind the counter. "I need to go, I'm afraid. Clarissa will stay here and report to me what you find out. I'll be in my office if you need me." She dismounts the stool, waves, and leaves, trailed closely by Ferdinand, Valerie, and Hank. Once they're outside, the cat's angry voice can be heard, and then she and her Healer can be heard arguing as they walk away.

Rainbow accepts the message and bobs her head to the others, then with a spread of her wings the raven drops off the table and then shoots out the window and away

Taking a step back, John looks around as all the creatures leave. The squirrel looks down at the rat. "Well, I knew that." Sighing, he takes a seat, shaking his head at Patch. "You were rather useless, after all."

Patch snorts as most leaves and he goes right back to his control over the tavern, and gets another fight going in the fighting pit, been a lot of fights in the fighting pits the last couple weeks, and some of the higher priced ale may be...sold or drank by the rat.

Marek opens the door and right away the tavern quiets some as he walks forwards and looks at the fighting pit"Fights end now, what ever bets in this fight returned to whom ever placed them." He goes over to where the rat is "Mr. Patch...do exit from behind the counter...where is my chair?"

Patch gasps and falls backwards, in yet another chair and yes it also breaks as he eeeps "Bossman?!..Umm umm..it fell, it's.."He gulps and looks over at the stoats chair, its broken in 5 pieces and the 2nd one is broken in 3..."I...can...no can't fix it...ummmm"He backs off "I bet your tried, I heard naps after long trips help"

"The broken chairs come out of your pay Mr. Patch, I left something in your paws too long, no matter I am back now,get to work"Marek states quietly "oh and Mr. Patch...you will lock up tonight and I will stay and make sure this place is clean from top to bottom, not just the main tavern...the kitchens and the fighting pit and then some dusting is needed upstairs, to which I will also make sure its done. I have heard from Mr. Markalaway that he usually has you and you skipped a couple days on him...he is fine with you cleaning up for me as when your done here you will rest and one of the guards from Ms. Blisa will make sure you don't slip away as in the morning you will report to Mr. Markalway and trust me he will let me know if you did or not and do what ever you need to do for him, is all that clear?"

Patch starts to protest and snorts "Then again not much left in de day..sooo"

Marek speaks "I didn't say the cleanup would be just tonight this may well take most of the night and into tomorrow afternoon and the tavern will have to be closed due to it but I am sure beats can speak to you on why...in fact why not start now"He clears his voice "Attention the tavern is closing an hour early..good eve" He sits down and gets an ale and simply watches Patch calmly as beasts leave, some glare at the rat and one threatens to flatten him into the ground for this and soon its just the rat and the stoat. Marek gets a mop, bucket of cleaning stuff, a rag and a duster and sits it by patch and then sits behind the counter and nods "Do begin Mr. Patch"

Patch frowns, he tenses and then sighs as he starts the cleanup...the long tiring cleanup till his paws and outfit is soaked and sore, he sweeps and mops, dusts and cleans till he finally sleeps, a guard may of not been needed as he sleeps and doesn't try to leave, way way to tried for that and when he wakes he is escorted to the graveyard and the home of the undertaker...great more work, but he will not argue with the creepy undertaker, he will just work and so as he is told....poor Patch.

Last edited by oz (2018-07-05 06:24:08 PM)

I play:
Brother Gorvenalus-Redwall Abbey Recorder,  Private Cole,a runner, of the Long Patrol
Oz( Yes named after Papa Oz) young adult and Novice in Redwall.

#2 2018-07-05 07:12:19 PM

The_Brony_Marek

Re: Patch Is In Charge Of The Tavern..No More!-Ferravale Log

Great work, but only one issue: Patch is one of a very short list of people that Marek doesn't refer to by a formal title.

The List goes as follows
1. Patch- Marek just calls him Patch
2. Bandit- Marek calls him "Fat One"
3. Ormaz- Marek just calls him "Brother" or occasionally "Ormaz"

#3 2018-07-07 02:35:35 PM

BlisaMarshmellow

Re: Patch Is In Charge Of The Tavern..No More!-Ferravale Log

And it would be a regular city guard, not one of Blisa's bodyguards.  Please don't spoof my spoofs wink

Board footer