Redwall MUCK Forum

Redwall MUCK is an interactive, multiplayer text game set in Brian Jacques' Redwall universe.

Visit RWMUCK.ORG for more info!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-07-07 01:33:37 PM

BlisaMarshmellow

Lunchtime in the Mountain (LP log)

SCENE:  Salamandastron Dining Hall

CHARACTERS:
Hares: Terrence, male; Felicity and Julia, females; Quinten, male; various spoofs.
Badgers: Ciocan, male.

LOG:
At the end of the large table is a group of hares, with the one in the middle of them in particular eating practically anything in sight. Between bites, he seems to be telling a story. "And, well, do you know how old Gulls are for conversation?" Another bite. "Bloody well terrible! Seven seasons! Seven!" He looks nearly on the brink of tears. "And well... you'd think in that time I'd become a better cook! Well," He finishes the dish, moving on to another, and, with his mouth full, he continues, "I didn't. This. This is heaven now. I can bloody well die in peace. Just toss me in the ol' ocean."   

An auburn-furred haremaid comes into the mess/dining hall, and of course the first thing she notices is the group of hares. Raising an eyebrow, she goes and gets a tray of food, then sits down nearby and listens quietly, trying to figure out what they're talking about....   

"And, and this one-" Terrence takes a long draft of a drink - mead, perhaps. "Well, he was a bit of a squawker. Was good friend though." He takes in more food. "Ah! WHO ARE THE COOKS?" He shouts suddenly, as he finishes yet another plate. "I need to bow down in awe to them!"   

The haremaid snorts slightly. "Y'can go in th'Kitchen and bow down to 'em right now, but they'd prob'ly just put you to wash the dishes 'til nobeast lower'n m'Lord Ciocan tells 'em to let y'go, wot!" She eats another forkful of salad, which is obviously one of the foods of the gods. "Y'look familiar. I'm Felicity Elizabeth Rosinbloom." She pronouces her name 'Rose-In-Bloom'. Smiling, she looks to his shoulder to see if he's wearing his rank, or if he's in civilian clothes. She's still in her uniform, so he can tell that she's a Private.   

Terrence glances at the newcomer. "So they're probably the same..." He bites his lip. "Well...suppose I can thank them when there isn't any dishes...to do..." Having finished - surprisingly - he looks the private over. "Well, hullo there! Don't suppose you remember me but I do believe we were recruits at the same time!" The marking on the lapel - looking far more shinier and, well, cleaner - is that of a corporal. "I was rather unlucky in my second assignment, unlike you, I suppose. Got m'self placed out on some rock in the middle of the wide sea!" His expression shifts to something a bit more dark. "Rather convinced command forgot about me for a season or so, to be bloody well frank." He winks. "Higher ups, am I right?" The hare gives an overly dramatic sigh, now. "Alas! At least they're better conversationalists than the gulls!"

Felicity scowls. "Well, if y'call bein' kidnapped and almost eaten by a sea snake lucky...." She then quiets down and listens, nodding slightly. "Aye, we've 'ad so much quiet around 'ere lately that I think some o' the 'igher-ups 'ave gotten tied up with papahwork an' all." She sips some of her tea. "I do believe I remembah you, but y'name is slippin' my mind. Y'were the one who was 'avin' trouble decidin' what 'e wanted to do in the Patrol, yeah?"   

Terrence says, "Yeah." He says, nodding, "And, well, command more or less decided for me. It's Terrence, by the way." Pouring himself another cup of mead, he adds, "At least that sounds interesting. Used to see a few sea snakes on the rock- by far the most exciting thing for me that happened was the shack I was in being blown down in a storm." A pause. "Though even that ended up becoming a common occurrence..." Terrence sets the drink down, clapping his paws together. "But hey! Lets just say I'm rather glad to be back here!""   

Felicity nods. "Aye, I bet y'are. Sounds like y' 'ad a rough time. I was undercovah tryin' to get my informant's treasure -- that I accidentally made 'er lose -- back from a gamblin' den. Almost got killed, like, 4 times! Then m'uncle was murdered, I was kidnapped by 'is killah -- a flippin' /monitah lizahrd/ -- and my informant 'ad to run for 'er life aftah she 'elped my get loose and kill the monitah 'cause who should be dashin' down the beach but m'Lord Ciocan 'imself? Swingin' 'is 'ammah like there was no tomorrow!" She shudders. "I 'ad some serious explainin' t'do aftah that.....fortunately, it all turned out alright. But I didn't necessarily find the whole experience fun....." Because what's a little one-upping in the military, huh? "Why didn't y' 'ide in a cave for y' 'ome aftah y' 'ut blew ovah the second time?"   

Terrence blinks at the sudden influx of information. "I, uh, see." He looks down, trying to process it all. Finally, "The only thing I can say about my time is I learned how to get on a seagull's good side." He says, rather simply. Then he asks, with a bit of the grin, "You've had quite the time around here, eh? Beats sitting on an isle about the size of this room for seasons on end, even if it weren't all good. At least you have something to really talk about!"   

Felicity glares at him slightly. "Aye, havin' m'uncle be murdered by a stupid monitah lizahrd is absolutely somethin' to talk about." She slides away a bit, which is probably a good thing, seeing as how he's making her a little mad and she's a Runner with a little bit of kick box training. Take a hint, dude.   

"I am sorry about your uncle." Terrence's ears fall back as he winces to himself. "Probably should've said that first..." He mutters to himself. "Though I doubt there's little I can say that'll do anything, am I wrong?" His tone is far less light than earlier. He sighs, falling silent. "I had no idea, really, no idea." He swallows. Two years at basically a listening post doesn't do much in terms of fighting prowess, and he can tell she's rather peeved at him.   

About this time someone steps into the room from the direction of the kitchens and seems, slightly moody, and sits down in his chair with one of the cooks by him "Sorry sir..I shall have a word with em' all sar, right way sar....save a piece of pie for his lordship..."The hare marches off, off at another table the 2 hares in question seem to have said pie, and quickly leave with said pie to eat outside the room, yep they are getting a lecture later.   

Felicity runs a shaking paw over her eyes and forehead. "Yeah, well......" she watches the Badger Lord enter, then the younger hares leave, and can't help but smirk a tiny bit. "You prob'ly don't 'ave to worry 'bout nightmares 'auntin' your dreams, and tryin' to not wake up screamin' 'lest you wake up yer baby sistah." She shakes her head and stares into her drink. "The flashbacks are somethin' terrible. You're so lucky y'weren't givin' an assignment where you 'ad to face death almost constantly. It....puts one on edge, y'know?" As a flustered cook passes by them, she gets his attention and points in the direction the younger hares went. "I think the pie theifs went that way, wot!"   

Nodding, Terrence swallows again. "I...really am sorry." He looks down at the empty plates. "I had no idea that things got that bad here while I was away..." He sighs, again. "Be that as it may, I am back, now." The hare shrugs. "Suppose now going t'go through whatever's ahead with the rest of you lot..."   

The cook hare sees the pie thiefs escapeing and then gives chase, he may or may not catch them . Meanwhile the badger lord is eatting his lunch quietly and glaces over at FelicIty and Terrence as he takes a sip of some water.   

Felicity sighs and rubs her eyes in a very tired fashion. "It was mostly on m'solitary patrols, although some othah 'ares 'ave mentioned 'avin' more trouble with vermin 'ere recently. 'Opefully it's not a sign of things goin' from bad to worse, wot!" A group of leverets dash by, screaming and laughing, and the haremaid sits up straight as a little female, hardly more than 2 seasons old and looks almost exactly like the Runner, pokes her with a spoon on her run past. "Julia! I don't need m' 'eart carved out! Why are y'runnin' with....oi," she mutters as the leverets are now on the other side of the room, near the badger, who they are ignoring because they're little kids and children are crazy sometimes.   

Terrence doesn't ignore the badger lord, though (admittedly he only sees him now, but that's besides the point). He stands up suddenly, snapping to attention. "Sah!" He says, bitting his tongue as he realizes how long he badger lord had been sitting there.   

Ciocan nods and glaces at the dibbuns as he stands and walks over to them "I know a much better place ta play, in another room" He smiles and then walks over to the two hares "Tis good ta see when some hares sit down and enjoy lunch, some just eat and rush off past few days"   

Felicity smiles up at the Badger Lord, sitting up straight and giving him a salute (albeit much less sharply than the Corporal did). "Aye, sittin' and doin' nothin' for a while is surprisin'ly relaxin'. More beatss should try it." Julia, the Private's baby sister (whom she is having to raise herself), waves her spoon in the air. "Yeahyeah, wet's go to da common woom!" The other leverets cheer and run at full tilt out of the dining hall, being chased by a beleagured caretaker hare who looks about ready to collapse.   

Relaxing, Terrence drops the salute, nodding. "Aye, sah. First real meal I've head for a long time, to be honest!" He remains standing, trying to remember the Badger's name - He didn't remember the Lord being around when he was last here.   

Ciocan sits down beside them "Least not too much has happen on de shores, I am not sure of the village as I have no reports nor do I go thar" He stays inside or is on the beach when he is training and doing moring exercises.Most likely explains why nothing seems to happen early in the mornings, no vermin is stupid enough to be out then.   

Felicity smiles easily. She seems to sort of know the Badger Lord. After all, they are basically friends. (OOC note: plz see here https://www.rwmuck.org/archive/content/ … story.html to see how they could be friends. BIC:) "Well, sah, last time I was out in Halyahrd, everythin' seemed pretty fine. The vermin were their usual annoyin' selves, but I didn't notice anythin' unusual, wot!" She glances at the other hare and subtly gestures to just sit down. "Were y' 'ere when m'Lord Ciocan showed up? I think y'were." She's pretty sure he was, although this may be the first time he's ever spoken to the badger.   

Terrence hasn't ever spoken to the badger lord. "I'm sure the bloody vermin stay well away from you, sah!" He notices Felicity's gesture, and sits, slowly. "Pr-Corporal Terrence Cadwallader, at your service, sah!" He has yet to get used to the promotion. "Was stationed on an isle south of here to keep an eye on searats and other marauders for some time!"   

Felicity glances at the male hare. "No need t'keep shoutin', laddie buck! We're right 'ere." He also apparently can't figure out what impresses normal, non-flirtatious girls. "I though y'only saw gulls and sea snakes?"   

"Because I did only see those." Terrence doesn't seem to be trying to impress anyone at this point. He's just happy she didn't end up kicking him. "/Officially/ I was put out there to keep an eye out for searats. The gulls actually helped a lot in that way! Can cover a lot more water than little ol' me, wot."   

Ciocan nods as he listens and takes a sip of water every so often."I see..I dislike sea gulls myself and most vermin stay away from me if they be smart"   

Felicity shrugs and nods. The hare has a point thar. "Well, yeah, sah. You're a gigantic badgah with a hammah bigger'n me. I'm a little nervous o' you when y'go chargin' into a fight, be it real or practice, swingin' that thing, wot! I don't think even a drunk searat would try to start a fight w'you." This is all said in a respectful and humble tone. "Did y'actually talk to th' gulls, Terrence? I've nevah been able to understand the blightahs, myself."   

Terrence nods. "Yes! As I said before - absolutely horrendous at conversation, the little blighters are." The hare shrugs. "But, if you can get on their good side - and by that I mean spend months bribing them with food and shiny objects - you can get them to tell you things. Even made friend out of an older one, patched him up, y'know? Still was terrible in conversations, though..."   

Ciocan chuckles, he does speak "Sea gulls can still be dangerous so I would say be careful, not all want ta be friendly and chat."   

Quinten pushes open the door to the dining hall and stalks in dragging two leverets by the arm. The two young hares look less then happy and are doing their best to extoll their innocents. Quinten ignores them however and hands them both over to the kitchen staff, "I don't care, either of you..." he looks down, "You are on pot cleaning duty until further notice, I won't have this sort of misbehaviour in my library...." he nods to the hare in charge of the kitchens, "Find them the greasiest pots imaginable please."   

Felicity nods slowly. "Aye, like those stupid gulls who killed Xandah's parents..." She watches as the librarian drags in the 2 miscreants. "I say, aren't those the 2 pie theifs?" She always mispronounces the pluralization of that word. Probably drove her teachers crazy when she was still in school. She then looks at Terrence, a slightly confused look on her face. She opens her mouth to speak....   

"Well, of course." Terrence says with a sigh. "I managed to tick one off the first month I was out there- and, well, basically had to hid in the shack for a season. They go for the eyes, y'know?" He looks over as Quinten enters, leverets in paw. "Well the cooks'll like that." He turns back to the badger and haremaid. "Took me another season to actually get one to talk to me - but oh well... It worked out, in the end."   

Ciocan looks over at the recorder and nods as he listens to the haremaid "Yes I remember that or least a report of it, it was when the small group of Redwall beats were visiting and..I think your uncle helped to fight off the gulls, he and a couple hares with longbows, though was a suRprise whom got the badger cub or elast he was a cub at the time....inside the mt."   

Quinten shakes his head as he watches the leverets led away into the kitchens and turns away. He tugs on his tunic and salutes the Badger Lord, "My lord.. good afternoon, Felicity, nice to see you as well and you as well Terrence, I trust everyone is having a good day?"   

Felicity smiles and nods. "Aye, pretty well. Gettin' bettah. Nothin' like 'avin' a day off to relax. So long as m'little sistah be'aves 'erself, everything will be alright." She's climbed way down from where she was when she came *this* close to kicking Terrence, so, yeah, the day has gotten much better, honestly! "An' aye, I think you're right, sah. M'uncle was a real 'ero. I'm proud o' 'im, wot!" She has an empty bowl that used to have salad in it, and she's eyeing the buffet, natuarally wanting more.   

Terrence tilts his head to one side. "I do think I was already off and gone before all that happened, sah..." Turning to Quinten, he nods to him. "Aye! It's been up and down a bit, but it's getting better." ...he hopes, giving a nervous glance towards the runner. He really did think she was going to kick him at one point.   

Ciocan nods to Quinten "Hello Quinten I do hope your day is well and if it isnt that it gets better"   

Quinten says, "Well it should get better now I evicted those two" he gestures toward the kitchen, "From the library, they where making a mess with a pie in my workroom, which really was not on.""   

Felicity envokes fear into the hearts of many! "NOIDON'TWANNATALKTOLISSIELEMMEGOESIES!!!!!!" But not nearly as much as a screaming Dibbun can. A very harried-looking leveret caretaker enters the room, holding a wiggling, screaming, flailing, crying, and generally-carrying-on-ing Julia, the Runner's baby sister. The Private appears to wilt at the onslaught of screaming protests. "Oh, fer....I'd battah go see what she did this time," she groans. Standing, slumped, she pads over to the door and helps the caretaker take the distinctly unhappy and extremely loud leveret out of the room.   

Terrence blinks. "Huh. That was..." He looks at both the badger lord and Quinten. "Interesting, to say the least." He's quiet for a long while, before looking over to Quinten again. "Been a while, hasn't it, wot?"   

Quinten smiles softly at Terrence, "Yes it has been awhile indeed, I'm quite sure you're due for the old annual check up of your cognitive skills in the old library. Reading, writing, report filing..." he grins, "I should schedule that, wouldn't want the records out of order wot wot."   

Nodding, Terrence says, "Right. Riiiight. Been a while since I've read anything other than seamaps and reports and stuff!" He gives the other hare a rather suspicious look, as the thing proposed sounds far too much like rather long job. "Don't think I'll be much use at first, mate."   

Quinten shakes his head and smiles, "Ah but Terrence, you have to be of use. It's every member of the patrols job to file accurate, legible reports. How else are we supposed to keep his Lordship and the officers up to date." he flicks his ears, "Anyway I should head back up to the library, I have a class soon, but drop in and say hi soon Terrence," he salutes again, "My lord, until later."

~*end*~

Thanks for reading smile

Board footer