Redwall MUCK Forum

Redwall MUCK is an interactive, multiplayer text game set in Brian Jacques' Redwall universe.

Visit RWMUCK.ORG for more info!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-06-07 04:21:01 PM

BlisaMarshmellow

The storm is brewing on the horizon (Fate of Marek TP)

SCENE: Redwall Abbey grounds

CHARACTERS:  DoraRose, a female mouse.  Emyuil, a male mouse.

LOG:
It's a beautiful early Summer day in Mossflower.  A lark perches on the wall and sings to a young mouse who is up there.  Down on the Abbey grounds, an adult mouse looks up at her, a small smile tugging at the corners of her mouth.  DoraRose Strongheart watches as her daughter begins a conversation with the lark.  The Warrior mouse has a bunch of the kitchen knives in a wooden box, and a sharpener for them in her paw.  She is helping the Abbey by sharpening the knives for the kitchen staff.  She has just gotten distracted by her daughter.  Because family trumps pointy objects every day.

"Watch what you're doing there, 'rose," comes a gentle voice from behind the Warrior.  Her brother, Emyuil, once known as Emyuil Streamstone, wanders up to his sister across the grounds.  Not getting too close, so that he won't startle her, he finishes what he was saying.  "Don't want t' end up nicking your paw, right?"

DoraRose is startled anyway!  Fortunately, she had just put down the newly sharpened knife back in the box (facing the opposite way of the dull ones) and has yet to pick up another one.  "AHohhi, Emmy."  She nods up to her daughter, who is still animatedly talking to the lark.  A robin flutters up and joins in on the conversation on the walltop.  "I have no idea how Lily can tell what those little birds are saying, but apparently she can."  She sighs heavily and picks up another knife.  Shnerk, shnik, shnerk it says as she runs its edge over the sharpener.

Emyuil nods. "Need any help with the sharpening?" He watches his niece on the walltops fondly as he speaks.  "That is quite the talent she has."

DoraRose shakes her head.  "Nah.  I'm almost done.  Thanks for the offer, though."  She checks the edge with her thumb, then works it a little more.  "There seems to be danger in Mossflower again, and it might come after Lily," she says quietly.  She hasn't told her brother about Ormaz yet because she wasn't sure how to bring it up.  But she's decided to just spit it out.  The secret was becoming just too much.

Emyuil tilts his head, feeling his pulse speed up a bit, even with no enemies in sight.  "Eh?"  His eyes narrow slightly.  The relaxed air he put on before is quickly evaporating like a mist beneath sunrise.  "What is it, then?  And how can we killl it?"

DoraRose's jaws clench, and she carefully puts the knife in the box and turns away from the sharp pointy objects.  "I could've killed it when I met him 3 or so weeks ago.  His name is Ormaz, and he's Marek's brother."  She sighs and looks down at her paws, which are clenched around the sharpener on her lap.  "I'm sorry for not telling you sooner.  I just wasn't sure how to bring it up to you, or if you'd go all half-cocked trying to find him.  I need you here, and....and I can't lose any more of my family.  But I can't keep this secret anymore."  She runs a paw over her face, pausing with it covering her mouth.  "Marek told me to not be aggressive.  All I was doing was insulting Ormaz!  His name makes me think of cookies, and he was ignoring me!  It was so /rude/!"

Emyuil clenches a paw slowly and then opens it again.  /Not now./ He must remain in control.  "It's...fine." he sighs.  "You were right. I would've gone looking for him.  Might've gone berserk."  After that, something changes. The storm on his face, as it were, passes.  And he goes to wrap his arms around his sister in a bearhug.  "So long as I have anything to say about it, you won't lose anybeast else.  I swear it.  I will be here for you...as long as I can."  /Until Death comes for me, as it surely will someday,/ he finishes silently.  /But until then.../

DoraRose lets her brother hug her and goes to rest her forehead on his shoulder.  "I know.  I'm just so worried."  She pulls back a little so she can look him in the face.  "When we first arrived in Ferravale the day after the feast, Lily went into the tavern to give Marek a hug, like she always does.  Nightbreath and Marek were tense, and Patch was actually acting like a polite beast, so I knew something was wrong.  Blisa and her bodyguards took Lily to her house, and then Ormaz came out of nowhere and said that he'd remember that Lily is dear to Marek for later."  The worry that she has been hiding creeps into her face, making her look older than she is.  "I'm scared, Emmy.  I've always been worried that their friendship might someday put my daughter in danger, and now that fear has proven true."

Nodding slowly, Emyuil considers this for a moment.  "He could have just been talking.  Vermin talk a lot, to make beasts like us afraid.  And when we're afraid--no, if we allow fear to control us, to make us freeze up--we make mistakes. And in battle, that's what kills you. Making mistakes. But right now, he can't get to Lily. Because," he finishes in a growl, "he'll have to kill us both first.  And probably Marek, too.  I don't know who this..../scum/ really is, or what he's capable of, and frankly I don't care anymore. Just that he's a danger to us, so he's /dead./  So don't let him get in your head," he growls, feeling the anger rise up again. "Because I'll tear off his first."

DoraRose smiles.  "Aye.  Marek is a dangerous beast when angered....as are we."  She goes to hug him tightly, then sits back and pulls out a spare sharpener.  "On second thought, I'd love to have you help me finish these.  Then maybe we can go practice some.  I can show you some new moves I've learned with my war hammer, and you can practice dodging them."  Because when a new enemy is lurking, why not practice trying to smash in his fat head?  Perfect way to end the day, right?

Emyuil smiles at the hug, and returns it, feeling his rage simmer down again.  "Sounds good.  But I warn you, Nevermore and I will run circles around you and your clumsy hammer," he says, a competitive grin slowly forming across his face.  Taking the sharpener, he works his way through the dull knives easily, eager to hone his skills afterward.

~*END*~

It is on!  Dora is so gonna hafta show up her brother; he basically asked for it xD

Thanks for reading!

Board footer