Redwall MUCK Forum

Redwall MUCK is an interactive, multiplayer text game set in Brian Jacques' Redwall universe.

Visit RWMUCK.ORG for more info!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-05-05 01:38:23 PM

BlisaMarshmellow

Life is better without shoes. (IC Mossflower RP)

This happened ICly on Monday, May 7th, 2018, a few days after this http://forum.rwmuck.org/viewtopic.php?id=696 set of RPs.  DoraRose and LilyMoore had traveled to Ferravale with Blisa after the Spring Feast at Redwall.  They had left the Abbey the morning of the 4th, and in this log, they are heading home.  They arrive safely, but not before meeting someone out in the woods....

SCENE:  Somewhere in the depths of Mossflower Woods.....

CHARACTERS: DoraRose and LilyMoore, female mice.  Sarnith, a male ferret.

LOG:
It started out as sunny, but as time rolled on clouds rolled in, not quite making it look like rain just yet but a few experimental drops have fallen on the here and there. The woods here bear little winding trails that go who knows where on their own little errands like the beasts that use them. Traveling down one of them with a heavy load of carved wooden spindles in an odd frame style pack on his back. Shuffling along the ferret has a large fern frond tied over his head, covering his eyes from the few specks of errant moisture that make their way down.

And 2 cloaked beasts are making their way through the forest, headed in a South-Easterly direction.  One is dressed all in black (except for her cloak, which is a mottled green/grey/brown) and is carrying a black double-headed, double handed battleaxe.  The other is almost as tall as the other one, and is wearing a green tunic, brown leggings, a deep green cloak, and brown boots.  This creature is complaining.  "Momma, I /hate/ wearing shoes!  My feet feel like they're suffocating!"  "Lily, honey, I just don't want you to get a thorn or something in your foot.  And there's a storm coming, so your shoes will help provide more traction once the rain starts."  The voice should be familiar to the ferret, for this is the Warrior mouse he met in the woods a few weeks ago when he had been cutting down trees and she and a vixen had been looking for a runaway mousemaid....

Well, the ferret neither has neither cloak nor shoes, so he is keeping at least part of an eye on the path below him. So it wasn't until he got within speaking distance that the ferret noticed the two beasts. Without yet putting a finger on the voices the ferret swings around a tree to see just who it is that's coming here. Peering around the tree the ferret just starts to think that he remembers that voice, it was a mouse right?

The Warrior is too busy looking at her daughter, who just tripped over a tree root, to notice the ferret.  "Momma, this is another reason why I hate shoes!  I can't feel a single thing!"  The adult merely sighs and pushes her hood back, revealing that it really is DoraRose the mouse.  "Honey..."  "I HATE SHOES!"  The younger one sits on the ground and starts unlacing her boots.  Her hood slips off, and her face looks very similar to her mother's.  Except angry.  "Lily..."  "It's not cold and I just almost tripped again!  Shoes are stupid!  I can't walk like a normal creature in them!  BAH--WHOA!"  The young mouse yanks her boot off and knocks herself onto her back.  Dora sighs and covers her eyes with her free paw.

Ok, yeah, these mice do look familiar to the ferret. Still peering around the tree Sarnith is pondering waiting for them to pass since to him it seems most woodlanders tend to get jumpy in the woods when they run into a vermin unexpectedly, then off comes the shoe. The ferret can't contain a laugh when the mouse goes tail over ears. Knowing that he has made himself known the ferret follows the laugh with "Can's say's dad's I's ever like'd der's paw's coverin's eider's! "

LilyMoore screams and chucks her boot at the tree behind which the ferret is hiding. It misses spectacularly. DoraRose tenses, then relaxes as she recognizes the voice. "Don't worry, honey, I don't think we have to be afraid. Sarnith, was it?" She addresses the ferret. "I found my daughter the other day, as you can see. I appreciate the help you offered." She gestures for the mousemaid to stand, which she does, still looking a little worried. "Her name is LilyMoore, and she's usually not this shy."

Watching the boot go sailing by Sarnith wonders how the apple fell so far from the tree. Coming fully out around the tree now with his pack clattering a tad the ferret says "Well's nice'd der's mee'd yer's, an Sarnith I's be'd, Lily's Moore'd an's.... DoraRose'd were's ed's?" Not quite sure how the younger of the two will react Sarnith proffers a paw slowly, at least if the smaller one tries to bite it off it won't been the worst thing to of bitten his paw.

Everyone else wonders that about LilyMoore, too.  Dora smiles.  "Aye, 'tis.  Go on, shake his paw," she shoves her daughter slightly.  The younger mouse hesitates.  "Oh, good grief....you have so many friends who are vermin!  Why are you suddenly so shy about making a new one?"  Lily takes a deep breath, smiles, and goes to shake the ferret's paw.  "Hi...sorry.  Something scary happened a few days ago, and I rarely leave the Abbey.  I'm just nervous.  I'm sorry I threw my boot at you.  It's nice to meet you, Sarnith."

Careful not to crush the smaller paw Sarnith gives it a shake saying "Well's yer's be'ds bes' no's der's trus' mos'd vermin's yer's mee'ds, a good's number's o' em's no'd good's beas'ds, bu'ds ed's good's yer's were's found's eh? An's ah nice'd der's mee'd yer's as'd well's!" As the ferret shakes the paw his pack gives a rattle as the wooden rods there rattle about in the framework.

DoraRose smiles and looks around casually, ready for a fight, if needs be.  She's calmer than the last time the ferret saw her, but also looks more tense, if that's possible.  LilyMoore smiles and drops her paw back to her side.  "Yeah, I know.  I try to be careful, although I usually just hide from strangers behind my Mom or my friends, not chuck things at them.  And it is good I was found...I...yeah..."  She looks to the ground, then sort of behind him and over his shoulder.  She is curious about what he's carrying, but too polite to ask anything about the rods yet.  "I'm the Bellringer of Redwall," she offers instead, "and Momma's the Gatekeeper."  'What do you do for a living?'  is the unspoken question.

Taking hints in clear speech that isn't in a dangerous situation isn't one of Sarnith's strong points "Well's I'sd spec'd dad's yer's been'd remiss'd o yer's a doin's den's! Course's I's don's usually ged's close enough's der's da abbey's der's 'ear dem's bell's!" Hefting up the pack with a clattering sound the ferret goes on " I's migh's be'ds 'eaded dad's way's 'ere ad's some poin's, der's were'd some's drawin's der's I's didn's ged's der's las' round's when's I's were's der's. "

DoraRose raises an eyebrow, struggling to keep up with the ferret's speech.  Lily, however, seems to be having no trouble at all.  Must be the same talent that allows her to communicate with birds.  "Oh, I do it all the time, unless I'm on a trip, of course."  She flexes the muscles in her right upper arm.  She's pretty strong....and if he doesn't understand hints, then she can be more direct.  "Oh, drawings?  Are you an artist?"  The thought that he's illiterate and has to draw things because he can't take notes doesn't even cross her mind.  The Warrior, having caught the gist of the conversation, says, "Well, you'd be welcome to come, Sarnith.  You could stay for a meal, bring your family, whatever."  She smiles, then looks away, obviously on alert for something that isn't there but could be at any moment.

Well, in a way Sarnith supposes he is an artist of sorts but it still pulls a chuckle out of him as he replies "Sort's a's? I's be'ds a carpen'der's an' der's a load's ah book's ad's der's red place, I's 'ad up'd abou's 'alf der's builins in der's Ferravale, mos' o der's funiture's der's tew's if yer's ever been'd ders. An's ed's likey'ds be'ds jus's I's, ed's a bid's oh a walk's fer's der's res'd o der's kin. "

DoraRose blinks as she struggles to process that load of (mispronounced) verbage.  "Erm..."  LilyMoore quickly says, "Oh, you mean you built the buildings?  I've been there, the Chieftain is my friend.  Hey, she needs a new chair and a new desk.  Maybe you should stop by and see if she'd be interested in you making her a set that actually fits her."  Thunder booms overhead, and the Warrior scowls.  "UNGH.  Hey, Lily, we need to let Mister Sarnith go home, and we need to get home, too, all before this storm breaks."  The mousemaid looks slightly sad.  "But...aw, okay."  She looks in the direction that she threw her shoe.

Rattling the pack Sarnith says "Jus' wha's I's were'd goin's der's dew, chair's er's barrel's sdaves be's wha's I's packin's. An's a lil's some'dins special's fer's der's Bilsa's as well's. An a lil's rain'd won's bugger's me none's. Bud's yer's bes' be'ds a goin'ins den's, may'aps I'ssl see yer's at der's red's place'd. " repositioning the pack and straightening the fern frond tied over his head the ferret makes ready to get back on the trail for Ferravale.

DoraRose smiles warmly at the ferret as her daughter puts her boot back on. "It was nice talking to you again, Sarnith. I look forward to your visit to the Abbey someday. Stay careful out here -- there's much danger lurking in Mossflower these days," she adds in a quieter tone. Lily stands up and waves at the Carpetner. "It was great meeting you! I bet Blisa will love getting a desk and chair that fit her better. Have a good day, and I hope you visit us at Redwall soon!" She then takes her mother's hand, and as he heads on his way, they head on theirs, with the Warrior insisting that the mousemaid put her hood back up!

~*END*~

Thanks for reading!

Last edited by BlisaMarshmellow (2018-06-02 02:08:31 PM)

Board footer