Redwall MUCK Forum

Redwall MUCK is an interactive, multiplayer text game set in Brian Jacques' Redwall universe.

Visit RWMUCK.ORG for more info!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-11-01 07:09:04 PM

BlisaMarshmellow

Cookies make *almost everything better! (RWA log)

SCENE:  Redwall Abbey kitchens

CHARACTERS:  Matilda, a female hedgehog.  DoraRose and LilyMoore, female mice.

LOG:
Matilda needed to relax, the last few weeks had been stressful and so she found herself in the kitchens, when an idea hit her and she decided to try her luck at making cookies, like her parents had made in fact, but usually her parents made them, she knew how or least what was in them, the cooking part may be a little hard, as well as trying to figure out how to make more than just a dozen, more like a few dozen if she was going to share.

The door opens from the Great Hall, and DoraRose enters, leading her daughter by the paw.  Spying the hedgehog, the Gatekeeper smiles.  "Oh, looks like we all had the idea to bake to help us relax."  As LilyMoore sits on a nearby stool, the older mouse peers at what the Champion is doing.  "Whatcha makin'?"

Matilda looks over and smiles "Well my parents use to make Cookies whenever I was sad, I remember how to make them and most of the ingredients is here, though I can't find walnuts but they are not always needed"

DoraRose smiles and gets the container of walnuts.  "Is there anything else that's missing?  How many were you wanting to make?"  LilyMoore smiles a tiny bit.  "Momma's /really/ good at baking and cooking.  She can follow any recipe, and she's good at making the recipe bigger or smaller so it all still works okay."  The Gatekeeper shrugs and shyly looks to the floor in honest humility, but she doesn't say anything except, "Well, when something is fun for you and you enjoy it, you practice at it until you're really skilled at it.  That's all."

Matilda smiles, she lays out a paper "It's from memory but should still work" It will likely need a little less flour or more sugar but she remembered it fairly well it looks like. "I would watch mom, dad just sort of..."She smiled "Helped eat them"

DoraRose laughs, and LilyMoore's smile widens.  "Aye, that's sometimes the way it works.  But there's no harm done.  Now, lemme see that recipe...."  She peers at it, pulling out a pencil and making a few notes here and there.  "I think that'll work better.  Now let's get cookin'."  The Bellringer looks at the recipe, then starts getting the needed utensils and measuring thingies.  The Gatekeeper reads through the whole recipe again, just to make sure she understands it.  "What were your parents like?"  Lily asks the Champion a little shyly.

Matilda is unsure of weather to speak or not, but does "Peace loving, I did learn some fighting skills but...well."She sighs as she remembers her parents."They were in their later seasons...they died peacefully in their sleep one night, holding paws. It was after their death I slowly started traveling and one day of course made my way here."

DoraRose sets out all the ingredients and utensils and sets to work measuring out the walnuts. LilyMoore starts in on the dry ingredients, working slowly as she listens and thinks. "I'm sorry about your parents. I bet that was hard, even though it was peaceful and happy." She pauses, then adds, "My Daddy was murdered. It's hard losing your parents, I know. Do you think they're all together in the Dark Forest now, waiting for us? Marek.....Marek told me a story his mom used to tell him, that all the stars are good beasts who died and are watching over us."

Matilda smiles as she gets some greensap milk and a few other things still needed, "Never heard of them referred to as stars...fireflies maybe, not as many of those around here it seems though"

DoraRose smiles.  "Oh, we have many fireflies around here, they just tend to hide in the depths of the forest.  But we usually have some in the grounds of the Abbey sometime during the Summer."  LilyMoore measures the sugar, double checking her mother's notes.  "What do the fireflies do?  I mean, in the stories you heard, Matilda."

Matilda speaks "Lighted the way for souls to find their way to the dark forest, and sometimes they were also loved ones come to visit you in times of needed or when you were sad, maybe even to share in some happiness and they brought friends along as well"

DoraRose takes over mixing all the ingredients together since she appears to have the most experience.  LilyMoore smiles, genuinely.  "That's really pretty.  I never thought of it that way.  Maybe we can find some fireflies dancing this Spring.  They look like magical fairies to me."

Matilda smiles "Maybe we can. I just hope peace lasts a long while; and it seems the abbey is ready for winter, a few things low on but not too bad from what heard, I mean it could of well be a lot worse, and I have made friends since I came here."

DoraRose gets cookie sheets and greases and flours them, then hands the other 2 spoons. "Aye, I think we're friends, Matilda. And if you ever need to talk to somebeast, or miss your parents, or something, you can always come find me." She starts scooping the cookie batter onto a sheet, showing her helpers exactly how to do it. LilyMoore is smiling, and she follows her mother's lead with the cookie batter. "I'll be your friend, Matilda. Everybeast needs friends, and if I could be Marek's friend when all the other creatures hated him, then I can certainly be your friend, too!"

Matilda watches and is soon placing lumps of carefully shaped cookie dough onto the cookie sheets "I...didn't really know Marek, he didn't seem bad to me like some seemed to say he was. It also seemed he had friends just not very many friends"

DoraRose continues to place cookie batter lumps on the cookie sheet, working more quickly than the other 2 simply because she has had more experience.  Glancing at her daughter, she answers for her, saying, "Marek did actually used to be evil.  He attacked us on multiple occasions, and even conquered us for about a season.  But he did repent, and change his ways.  He has been trying to earn the trust of the beasts in Mossflower for a number of seasons, and many never forgave him."  LilyMoore nods.  "But he was always nice to me.  I was too little to remember when he took over Redwall.  But he /was/ good and kind.  I wish he hadn't.....hadn't had to....to die for beasts to see that."

Matilda frowns but then speaks "Just remember good times, fun maybe. He would want you happy not sad. Maybe he would of make cookies who know, but what kind?"  She chuckles "Making cookies is fun, it's nice to be able to do something fun and not cause it has to be done."

DoraRose wrinkles her nose. "He was once experimenting with scones and made fish ones. I think I would've just had him watch or something." After making sure the oven was hot enough, the Warrior slips the first cookie sheet in. LilyMoore nods. "Marek told me remember the good. We danced on the way back here. That was fun." She scowls slightly. "If you're required to do it, it's no longer fun. Just my thoughts." The Gatekeeper laughs silently, nodding in agreement.

Matilda smirks "Like chores, left a window open and even though they were pretty I had yellow, red and orange leaves all in my cottage cause of it. But maybe can make chores fun like tie a spring to each footpaw to clean the floor, like slide" She chuckles "But then I slid right into a door, sore snout for a week but the floor was clean for my parents"

DoraRose leans against the counter, listening as they wait for the first 2 batches of cookies to finish baking. LilyMoore giggles. "Ow....I bet you never did /that/ again."

Matilda chuckles "No...but may of once just was more careful, as said didn't really have friends, I took care of my parents a lot"

DoraRose checks on the cookies. LilyMoore frowns slightly. "Well, you're in Redwall now, and we're legendary for being friendly! And I'll always be your friend. I promise." "I think these are done," the Gatekeeper states, pulling the cookie sheets out of the oven. And they have more cookies yet to make!

~*~

Thanks for reading! <3

Board footer