Redwall MUCK Forum

Redwall MUCK is an interactive, multiplayer text game set in Brian Jacques' Redwall universe.

Visit RWMUCK.ORG for more info!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-10-24 11:15:06 PM

Lutea
Website

Breakthroughs and Breakdowns - LP Log

Halyard Tavern: Main Room
Ft. Saja, Monty, Jinora, Skylark, Varus, Zolomon

Another rowdy evening in Halyard Tavern. The remains of a brief tavern brawl has been cleaned up, and there's a band on stage. A pair of searats singing off-key shanties. The waitress shuffles about quickly, enduring comments and occasionally smacking a beast on the ear. Over on one of the larger tables, a duo of beasts have covered the table meant for five with books, diagrams, notes and lots of booze. Saja and his 'indentured servant' Poppy the mouse are pouring over everything. Diseases, maladies, and other such plagues are the topic at hand. And a lot of autopsy pictures from a seemingly diseased stoat. Of the oozing green variety. The mouse, bespectacled to the point of hilarity, closes a book and sighs in frustration. "I feel like we're going /backwards/ in progress." Saja blows a smoke ring. "Don't complain, Poppy. For all we know we are about to contribute to medical history."

The door to the tavern silently swings open, and in slips a smaller figure, obviously a male hare judging by, well, everything. He is clad in an old, worn out cloak that seems to have been put through the paces...it is a little on the dirty side to say the least. He immediately heads towards the back of the room without so much as a glance towards anyone who might be there, his head ducked as if trying to avoid attention. He finally finds a booth to himself which he slides into wordlessly. Huddling up in the corner of the booth, the figure draws his knees up to his chest, an action which draws a visible wince from him, and from there he merely watches, emerald eyes glittering with odd life as he does so.   

Poppy and Saja aren't the only ones with homework, it would seem. Shortly after the flighty male hare pushes his way into the Tavern, the door swings wide to admit another hare, and a lofty coastal chill slips in on her heels. Jinora shrugs free from her cloak and throws it onto the rack by the door before re-adjusting her grip on the fraying bag that hangs at her side, stuffed with scrolls, and making for the bar. A familiar sight gives her pause, though, and she pivots mid-step towards Saja and Poppy, not recognizing the cloaked figure nearby. "I cin take a guess at wha' all this is." She smirks, the stoat illustrations catching special attention. "Any progress?" She doesn't sound optimistic, judging by the dour looks on both beasts faces.   
The doe working the tavern floor approaches the cloaked figure with an arched brow. Skylark's ears tick back just a smidge as she drops off a few mugs of ale at the table next to the figure's booth "Hello mysterious type," The serving doe greets with just a slightly bemused expression on her face. "Yeh'll be wantin' a drink or are you content t'brood?" Skylark glances up, grinding her teeth as new beasts flood in. It's busy, huff! She holds her paw up to Jinora, attempting to motion that she'll be right with the familiar patroller.   

It must be Hare Night at the Tavern, because not 10 minutes after the doe enters, in steps a much older buck. He pauses in the door, giving the shanty-singing searats a disgusted glance. He *detests* searats. But, he likes the wine here, and was good friends with the former owner in his younger seasons, so here he is. The hare makes his way toward the bar, ignoring all these young whippersnappers...   

Mouse and fox look at Jinora at the same time. They manage a perfectly synchronized scowl. Saja is a master at being a grumpy, irritated put upon vermin. Poppy is getting better at it, even pushing up her glasses for added scholarly glaring. "I now know more about stoats than I ever wished to know. I've stumbled across four new diseases that destroyed entire villages years back. And Poppy..." Reach. He flicks her on the nosepad. Poppy sneezes. "Is quickly on her way to being a proper medical beast. As for the source of our mystery plague? Nothing." Snort. He kicks out a chair. "I've ran into accounts of something similar, but nobeast thought to do a proper investigation. Anything on your end, Lieutenant?" He briefly eyes the other hares entering. Sooo many rabbits! "'tender! Get the good Lieutenant whatever she wants."   

Monty had found comfort from the enclosed space within his hood, though after a moment or two he draws it down. It's Private Monty, seemingly off duty judging by his current apparel and lack of uniform, and he watches Jinora as she enters not too long after him. Ear(s) perk at the myriad conversations all around him, and he finds it difficult to focus on just one, though his attention is drawn briefly to Saja and Poppy. It is almost immediately drawn away however as Skylark approaches him, and the young buck jumps a little in his seat, not expecting to be spoken to so quickly. This place has great service! "GAH! Oh! Sorry! Sorry. Oh, er. What? I mean...yes. Please. Ale..." A nervous smile twitches quickly on his lips, whiskers twitching as well, his voice shaky and eyes flickering as they focus on Skylark. They switch back to Jinora before hopping over to Poppy and Saja once again, then end up back on Skylark. "P...please."   

The young whippersnappers ignore the hare right back! Or, at least Jinora does - because she doesn't know him. She catches Skylark's eye and motion with a shy grin and holds her own paws up disarmingly, mouthing 'take your time' before returning her attention to Saja and Poppy. "Well, th'medical mumbojamwotsit goes right over m'head, but we've 'ad furthah incidents tha' garner... Ah... Deep concern." She sighs. "They're traumatizin' me unit left an' right." She hasn't yet noticed that Exhibit A is sitting nearby. "Bu' my time 'as been stretched thin. I do 'ave a name tha' may or may no' help: evah 'eard of th'Drewlyyd? Some shrews were prattlin' on, callin' the foxes 'Drewlyyd'. All I found on it in 'istory was a reference to an ol' linguistics text. Guess it means 'Stinky' in some long-dead language, fer all th'good tha' does beyond ticklin' funny bones." When, and if, Skylark does make her way over to their table, Jinora will offer an apologetic order for a cider.   

Skylark's lips tuck between her teeth and she sucks on them for just a split second as she watches the jumpy hare. "Un huh," the doe hums. "It'll be a minute, luff. But I'll send an ale over soon as can be." She reaches a paw to tap on the table to assure the promise... but thinks better of it and withdraws. Sky offers him a brief smile before she turns and scoots past Varus, saddling up next to Jinora. "Allo, allo. Cider, roger. And you lot," the doe glances at the fox and mouse taking up a /large/ table with just a whisper of a sniff. "Refills?"   

Varus takes a seat at the bar, surveying the scene. Several hares. That's a good sign. There's too many vermin in Halyard for his liking. Whenever Skylark approaches after filling all those other orders, the buck will wave her over, with a request of, "Yah finest wine, wot!"   

In Saja's opinion, Monty probably needs something stronger than ale. Or maybe a sedative, by the way he seems so jumpy. He squints at the buck, before his attention briefly wanders over the older figure as well as poor overworked Skylark. It's a madbeast house in here! Poppy looks worried as Jinora lays out the happenings. "Oh dear...well, I'm sure seeing those things shamble around has to be scary!" The mouse states in the obvious. Saja sighs. "I haven't. Poppy, you're better with linguistics than I am. Homework, girl." Poor servant, the mouse looks like she' /so/ sick of books right now. "Lieutenant, is it possible for you to get me eyewitnesses?"   

Zolomon decided to walk to the tavern, it was daylight so all is well and lok he made it ok.He glaces around and then goes to sit down in a chair not too far from other hares.

Monty stares at Skylark, eyelid twitching just slightly and that odd smile still on his muzzle as the buck does his best to calm his nerves. They're completely frayed seven ways from Sunday, and he takes a deep breath, counting down from ten in his head as he'd been taught to do by an old friend long ago. Exhaling, he nods. "Th...thank you. Thanks. Th...thanks..." he responds to the doe as she takes his order, both his paws clasping atop the tabletop as he wrings them tightly together. Voice quiet, he mutters to himself..."S'okay. S'okay. Safe here...safe. S'okay. AHH!" The young hare almost jumps out of his seat as the tavern door slams closed, the next patron entering seemingly wanting to be as noisy as possible. Teeth chattering, Monty shoots a glare his way, before his gaze shifts to his paws on the tabletop, which are almost white from being clasped together. "..s'okay."   

"Yeh talkin' of the ghosts?" Skylark asks, but... dangit. Work calls. "Hold on just a moment." She scoots back, tossing a paw up to acknowledge Varus. He is served first, being closest to the bar. The glass of dark blood red liquid set in front of the older hare. Two other mugs are clasped in one paw and Monty receives the ale. It's rushed and set down hard... Skylark grimaces and gives him an apologetic look. Then back over to the large table where Jinora is handed a cider. "So... oi, wait ah tick." And then the barmaid scoots over the short distance to Zolomon. "Drink? Food?"   

"Thanks, Lark." Jin hums gratefully. Since moving to the Shores, she's gotten used to the wild contradiction of half a life spent stuffed into an all-hare mountain, while the other half is spent in Halyard - stuffed with vermin and woodlanders alike. As her current company would suggest, she's taken to it with enough neutrality to warrant the occasional alliance, when the need arises. "An' one fer you as well, miss, when yer break allows." The doe adds with a cheeky half-smile to the server. As for Saja, she scratches a cheek. "Well..." It's a divine stroke of happenstance that she catches sight of Monty at this moment. "Um, actually, I may be able t'. Depends on if 'es up to it..." She raises a paw to her fellow Patroller. "Private!" She barks to catch Monty's attention. He's a part of her unit, so she had been informed of his frayed state - but not the extent of it. Her own detachment from trauma hasn't made her the most gentle and sympathetic soul for dealing with that of others. With her back to the door, she doesn't notice Zolomon's entrance. "She 'ad a run-in, as well." Jinora tells Saja, nodding after the retreating server.   

Zolomon looks up and shrugs "I..sure lass an ale be fine."He rubs his legs as they are a little sore still, but feeling better and he is NOT gonna stay in the infirm all day and be bored as he looks around and catches sight of the hare Jinora and Briefly Varus as well. He has one ear that has a fresh bandage on it as it did need tending too, then again another thing he didnt do on his long run, take real good care of , well where his ear use to be anyways and is lucky to of not had any infection so it's healing well."Food..later maybe lass" He says quietly.   

Peeeer. "They are /NOT/ ghosts!" comes Saja indignantly to Skylark. Back to Jinora, and he flicks his tail. "As reliable as ever Lieutenant. If you ever decide to retire from the soldier's life, I could use a beast with your skills and head on your shoulders straight." That's glowing praise from the vulpine. Of course, he has something of an odd relationship with the Patrol, as his favored necklace shows. A glance to Zolomon. Sooo many hares! His gaze is utterly piercing at poor Monty. "You're a wreck." Offers Saja bluntly. "I'll talk to you all the same. Here." He pulls out a vial of some kind of liquid, and it's offered over to the beast should he follow his commander's bidding. Theriac, as it turns out.   

Varus sips his wine appreciatively. Delicious. He can't help but overhear Saja's outburst, and he snorts. "Oy, is it tha' talk o' bloody ghosts, again? Supahstition. All of it, pah." He's quite opinionated on the matter. "All this talk o' ghosts and ghouls is frankly ridiculous..."

Monty jumps a little as the mug is set down a little harder than intended, though the hare doesn't begrudge Skylark for it; it's rather busy here. "Good. Gooood. Th...thank you." He quickly reaches over to draw the mug closer to him, almost spilling it with a shaky paw in the process as he goes to lift it to his lips. Despite managing to hang onto it, a bit does spill onto his already soiled cloak, and also onto the tabletop. Taking a deep drink, Monty sets the mug back down, his still-taped-up ribs throbbing with a dull pain as he trembles. Hearing his rank called out loudly and clearly, the buck's ear shoots up instinctively, head lifting and automatically turning in Jinora's direction. "S...SAH!" he barks in return, voice squeaking and eyes shifting nervously, wondering if he's in some type of trouble for being out here so soon after the incident last evening. Gingerly he rises from his seat, leaving his drink behind as he slides out of his booth, and he shuffles in Saja's direction, arm automatically shifting to protect his tender ribs. Glancing quizzically at Jinora, his gaze seems to ask what exactly is going on. He stares at the offered vial, before looking to his superior again. "Sah?"   

"You call me over if yah need food," Skylark nods to Zolomon. "Busy night an' all." She turns, heading back to the bar. "Ghosts!" the barmaid rattles back at Saja with a wry grin hidden on her face. "One ale, one mead, yah?" The bartender nods and gathers up the items and she drums her fingers on the bar, glancing back at the crowds. Thankfully the orders seem to mostly be in place and no one is begging for attention. "Wine good?" she asks of Varus, ignoring his comment on superstitions. Skylark grabs the presented drinks as the bartender sets them down and scoots back to Zolomon, who gets the ale, and the mead is kept for herself. She's breathing a touch heavy by the time she's at Jinora's side. Her mead is sipped as she watches the jumpy one approach the tall officer doe.   

Jinora is a decent head on better shoulders, in her own opinion - it's all the push-ups. "Thanks, mate." She smirks. "Bu' I dinnae think I'm suited fer th'kind of contract poor Poppy has accepted - no offense, marm." She adds to the mouse with a polite dip of her head. She's grown fond of the squeaky female, bless her heart. "No' ghosts tha' we, ah, know of." Jinora laughs, nervously, as their conversation grows. "Sure there's an explanation, bu' causin' bloody distress in th'meantime." She grumbles to Saja, Varus, and Skylark before Monty appears. She nods to the vial that the fox has offered the Private, and she nods once, indicating it's okay to accept. "Are ye... Fit t'discuss wha' happened to ye?" She catches sight of Zolomon and gives him a respectful nod. "Private." She offers when he nears, but she cuts her gaze up to Skylark again. "Ghosts." She agrees with a smirk.   

Zolomon sighs as he sips a little ale, and lays down the needed coins. He frowns and decides to go over to Jinora and nods..oh yeah the saulte he does so with a frown.He decides to not add any say in ghosts right now.   

Varus nods to Skylark with a smile, a rare sight from the normally buttoned-up hare. "Yes, miss. Verrah fine it is. If I'm not mistaken, this is from..." he takes a sip, "Southswahd, I believe... This must be fairly expensive..." He perks his ears toward the other conversation, yet again, and can't help but in his two cents. "All ghosts have bloody well logical explanation, wot. But, trust these supahstitions searats ta be spreadin' rumahs tha' th' dead walk among us, an' yah get all of Halyahd up in arms..."   

Poppy, having gone back to her cups, quickly pulls out some parchment to take notes with. She's swift with a quill it seems, looking over Monty with a keen eye for detail. She's already jotting down notes on Monty's condition. Saja inwardly beams with pride in his involuntary assistant. Varus gets a swift nod! "Finally, a beast with a brain! There are /no/ ghosts!" This is mostly barbed right back at Skylark. He sticks his tongue out at the hare! And then notes how she seems out of breath. Hmm. Back to Jinora and Monty. The concoction will certainly settle the nerves if taken. Monty might want to sit down as the powerful sedative takes effect. "Lieutenant, don't make me put peppers in your ears." Grumps the fox, rolling his eye. Back to Monty. "Private. Tell me everything you saw. In as much detail as you can give me. When, where, what. Leave nothing out, but do not speculate either. Can you do that? It is /very/ important." He demands sternly. Bedside manner is not this fox's specialty.   

Monty slowly reaches out a paw to accept the offered vial, and he juggles it for a moment or two before managing to keep hold of it. "Oh, erm, sorry. S...sorry." Averting his eyes in a shameful manner, he downs the contents of the vial, wincing a little before setting the empty container on the table next to him. Upon hearing Jinora's inquiry, Monty does his best to steel himself; the poor buck looks a right mess, his fur all disheveled, eyes a little wilder than normal. He is a completely different buck than the enthusiastic, eager one Varus had met the other night. "...y...yes. Yes. Am fit. Am fit to...to discuss, sah...." Upon hearing the word 'ghost' being thrown around, the buck's expression suddenly grows steely and cold, his voice rising above the din of the tavern. "NO!!!" His eyes seem to burn with an odd light, confirming certain suspicions. "No. Not ghosts. Not...not ghosts." Monty shakes his head quickly and firmly. "Not...at all. Not in the l...least..." He begins to tremble again, leaning against the nearby table for support, arm clutching his midsection as he slides into a nearby seat. "Last night," he intones, his voice wavering. "On th...the beach, near the Mountain. There...there was a giant bird. A raven. It was flying...but falling. Not really flying..." He pauses to take a deep breath..."Was hit with an arrow. I was with Quinten. It...it landed on us." Monty closes his eyes. "Then THEY appeared...." It seems he needs to pause to gather himself together again, staring down at the table with a frown as he recalls what happened.   

"Come near me wi' a peppah an'you'll find 'em stuffed somewhere far less pleasant." The Lieutenant warns in retaliation, her eyes twinkling with mischief. "Aye. S'a trend on th'Mountain an'..." Jinora takes a look around, and notices that a number of beasts around the Tavern are wearing strange talismans and charms. "...'Ere as well, takin' t'protections an' th'like. Still... Can only 'ave so much 'appen before ye start t'wondah." She shudders, remembering the spectral laughter and the wild-eyed gull. But Zolomon catches her ire, now. "Hoi, Private, put th'a salute away an' join us. No uniform, jus' drinks - you'll 'arsh th'buzz an' I dinnae want t'insult th'Lady Skylark by gettin' too sober in her care." She nods to Monty, wincing sympathetically. "If ye feel up to it, mate." A hesitant paw reaches over to tap the barmaid on the arm. "If ye wish t'share yer own tale with anybeast, I recommend this'un. 'Is brain is a mite cleanah than 'is mannah." She goes quiet as she listens to Monty, her expression darkening at his condition more than his words.   

Skylark grins back at Jinora, her ear turning to the older buck. "Beats me," she admits to Varus with a half-awkward smile. "I know as little as a rat knows 'bout manners on the topic o'wine." A rat nearby scowls but can make no argument as his fellow rat belches at that exact moment. The barmaid continues about wine. "Never had a taste f'it. Mum always said it'd come acquired, but..." Sky shrugs. "Maybe tomorrow, eh?" Her attention floats back to the matters at hand and she squints at Monty curiously. But that fox and mouse... and the quill scratching. She flicks her ear fussily, glancing over at them suspiciously. But, Well, Monty wins out on the attention. She sips at her mead, growing more and more uncomfortable until she steps away, using the excuse to grab another cheese plate for a table of mice near the front door.   

Zolomon frowns, he spoke to Quinten before on, well other matters "Is Q ok?" He then truns to Jinora and frowns"Hee...drunk may be right good..after..."He frowns, does she know...then didn't Quinten say he would talk to officers and she is a LT it would seem as he frowns "I may have more ale...but..you shouldn't get too..drunk tonight..."He frowns and whispers something to the haremaid, no real details just a quick whisper before he sits down and downs his ale and orders another ale.   

Varus takes quite a few minutes recognize Monty as the same Private he met the other night. What are they doing the hares in the Mountain these days? If was still in the Patrol, he'd whip them all into shape, that's for sure. In the meantime, Skylark gets a nod. "Aye, it is an acquired taste, admittedly... But, t'is good..."   

Jinora has Saja grinning right back at her. Ahhh, mountain hare meatheads. He loves them so. Poppy takes notes with a fury, and Saja sighs. "So, they killed a bird. Assaulting more than just the locals. Useful. They appeared seemingly out of nowhere, I take it?" Asks the fox to the private. He shoves a glass of whiskey at the poor buck. "Get your rest, Private. You are in shock, you are a mess, and are unfit for any kind of duty in my medical opinion. Do not walk out of this tavern sober. Better yet, start a tab, and do not walk out of it at all. Have faith in your Patrol and my knowledge. These 'ghosts' of yours will be stopped. Right, Lieutenant?" To Skylark! "Miss Skylark, wasn't it? I would hear your tale as well when you have the urge and time to tell it." Adds the vulpine on top of Jinora's recommendation. He pointedly puts some coin on the table. Bribery helps.

Monty sits there, eyes still closed and he falls silent for a good few minutes, almost as if he'd fallen asleep. The liquid he had taken seemed to help a little in calming his trembling, at least. Finally, he speaks again, his voice low but still audible to those nearby...when his eyes open again, there is a haunted look deep within the emerald depths. He nods to the question. "Yes. Out of nowhere...the fox...he...he'd shot the bird with...with an arrow, y'see. It was attached...to a rope. He pulled it down, it landed...on top of us. I was pinned beneath it, I...I didn't get the best look at the fox. But I heard him." The buck turns his eyes to Jinora, then to Saja. "He talked about...sacrifices. He said...they didn't want hares. At least..." he inhales sharply as a bolt of pain hits him... "At least...not yet...but they will. Soon. THEY WILL...." His voice rises, and he has to calm himself again. He takes the offered whiskey, and downs it in one gulp. "Q...Quinten threw a dagger...he said he hit the fox.....right...right in the chest. It...it didn't phase him. He pulled it out...like it was NOTHING. He bled...but...it did -nothing-..."   

"I'm with Miss Lark on this'un." Jinora shrugs as the hare in question steps away to do her job. "Always hated th'stuff - gimme an ale so dark I lose me soul innit, or a nice, crisp, bittah cidah anyday." She decrees, but her tone is solemn as she studies Monty. He's come completely undone... Again. It isn't good, and her concern stems deeper than just a worry for her friend - thankfully, she is just an LT, and it isn't exactly her jurisdiction to make those tough calls. "Aye, Private?" She is distracted by Zolomon, and her frown deepens at the hare's whisper. "Er... Right. Thank ye." She is distracted as Monty continues tale.   

Varus can't help but listen to Monty's tale. There's definitely a logical explanation, even if he can't think of one right now... But, that's neither here nor there. He sips his wine, listening to every word.   

Zolomon just sits off to the side, drinking his 2nd ale and will likely get another ale, its been a while since he has been drunk though, oh well, he may as well get drunk while he can right?   

Saja is impassive even through the talk of sacrifices. What seems to hit him all of a sudden is when Monty mentions the fox pulling out a dagger with no effect. His eye goes wide. Then he stands up, knocking over a half-empty tankard. The thing clangs onto the floor. Sorry Sky! "....You're certain? No reaction? As if he was..." Poppy looks confused. "Poppy! Get the books and notes! We are fools! Back to the shop!" He adds, excitement bleeding into his voice. "Lieutenant Jinora! I am going to need a few favors from you!" Smirk. And then he's out the door, with Poppy rushing out quickly after.

Skylark grumbles as she finds herself back near the hares having dropped of a cheese platter, two ales, and a hot toddy while they spoke. She has returned with a few fresh mugs of drink and food. "Okay, okay. So," the doe puffs. "So I was leavin' my apartment an--" And then the fox is gone. "What a bally blighter!" Skylark snorts, looking down and scooping up the coins regardless. "This better cover his tab, it better." The coins are pocketed and the doe flumps down into the large table, depositing the bin of fried veggies and bread with honey. "'Elp yerselves, mates," Skylark insists as she motions to the food and extra leas and one cider.   

As Saja suddenly seems to have some sort of clue as to what could possibly be happening, he dashes out the door suddenly with his assistant. As he knocks over the tankard and it clangs onto the floor, Monty leaps almost out of his seat, huddling up on his chair as he peers down at the floor with a terrified gaze. "NOPLEASENOOOO!!!" Footpaws scrabbling for purchase on the chair, the buck's heart pounds in his chest as he realizes what had happened after a few moments. Crouching on the chair, he blinks at those gathered who are likely staring at him, and he carefully eases himself back into his seat and continues. "...s...so...so the fox...he leaped onto the bird. I...I was still under it. It's...it's what caused this..." He pulls up his shirt a little to show the bandages beneath. "Ribs...hurt. But the fox, he...he took the blade. He cut the bird's throat. There was blood...." His ear folds back as he begins to shiver again, recalling being drenched in the raven's blood. "So, so much blood...."   

Zolomon frowns as he looks at Monty"Seen...worse...I need more ale...and some pie, is there a pie..or two pies, pie and ale please"   

Jinora blinks as Poppy and Saja rush to gather up and get going. "What kind of favahs?!" She shouts. "Saja!" She calls after him, panicked - a fox asking favors is never a good thing - but the two are gone. Food is a very acceptable replacement for Poppy and Saja, however. "Ugh, ye 'ave /no/ idea." She laments to Skylark, turning back to the table with a shake of her head. Bally blighter, indeed. Crunch. No amount of veggie snacks or alcohol can dull the anxiety of Zolomon's muttered words to her... Or Monty's current state. They are a military unit - and this... The poor bloke looks broken, even when sedated. It's not good. "Monty, ye should come back t'the Mountain with me t'day, yeah? Aftah we leave 'ere, so we aren't stuck out at night. If ye please." She suggests, gently.   

Varus shakes his head, and tuts softly. He stands, and then walks over to the seat Saja just vacated. Without asking any of the other beasts at the table, he sits down, setting his glass in front of himself. "Private Montgomery." His voice is low, so as not to disturb the younger hare any further. "Private, yah need ta take a few days off, wot..."   

Skylark groans deeply, ignoring the stares from the other patrons at Monty's outburst. At least the wailing rats have struck up a tune after a short break and it keeps the wailing from the buck out of the ear reach of every beast in the tavern. But even so she looks bewildered at the creature, then to Jinora. "'Least eat some food 'fore you go. That hike in the sand isn't something I like doin' on an empty stomach. Dunno how you lot do it all the time." Her head wags and she attempts to not look at Monty as much as the other gawkers in the tavern. She even clears her throat a little and looks to Zolomon. "Too lil', too late, mate. I'm on my break. But there is an extra ale here an' some food."   

Zolomon frowns "No pie....I need pie. Pie is good and...cheers a beast...been a bad week...too much running, then..."He frowns and sighs, let's not cry...darn ok he lets some tears flow and downs that 3nd ale.."Kay..food..some sort is good."   

Monty rubs his temple with a paw, eyes closing as he does his best to sort out his jumbled memories. "After...after that, I...I don't remember much. I...I mean...all the blood...I was covered in it. Last thing I remember...is just trying to run. I wanted to run, to...to get away from there. Anything just to get away...I couldn't, I was hurt, but...I -wanted- to." He doesn't mention swinging at one of the Patrolmates who tried to help him, likely because he couldn't recall it. To Jinora and Varus's dual suggestions, the buck nods immediately. "Yes. Yes! Away. We need to go...away. Away from here. AWAY FROM HERE!" His voice rises into a shout, and the disheveled buck buries his face into his paws, head shaking back and forth as tears spring into his eyes. "Not again. I CAN'T. I CAN'T DO THIS AGAIN! I...I was doing so well...." his voice weakly fades into a dismayed squeak, a paw pounding on the table helplessly. "So...well..."

"Private, ye'll have t'go an' ask th'bar if ye want pie. She's said she's on a break. Yer a Patrollah, can't 'ave ye whinin' like a dibbun what didn't get 'is way." Jinora snaps at Zolomon, her nerves worn thin by all of this. The Mountain's loss, rumors of ghosts, Monty's undoing, and... Whatever she has waiting for her back at Salamandastron cannot be good. At Monty's outburst, she pushes to her feet and throws a pawful of coins onto the table for Skylark. 'I'm sorry', she mouths to her. She moves to attempt to pull Monty to his feet. "We're leavin, Private. C'mon, mate. Up ye go - get ye somewhere safe an' warm, aye?" Before leaving, she pauses and turns to Skylark. "May I call on ye tomorrow?" She asks, side-stepping casually as a drunken weasel falls to his face beside her.   

Skylark looks a touch taken aback at Zolomon and is about to respond when Jinora takes care of it. Her ears slick back and she drags her mead closer to her, looking away as the matter is settled more or less. She takes a thick wedge of bread, smashes a fried green onto it, and stands as Jinora starts to drag Monty up. "You run an /army/, right?" the barmaid asks of Jinora and Varus with a baffled expression. Her face says it all: Yeesh. "I'll be here, aye. Good luck," she adds, glancing to Monty with a frown. Then the doe takes her drink and her snack, heading towards the back of the tavern and into the kitchen before she can get caught up in the patrol's nonsense again.   

Varus starts to move to grab Monty by the shoulder, but Jinora beats him to the punch. "Honestly, it sounds ta me tha' th' Patrol is in need o' majah improvement, wot." Clearly, there's no more discipline. "If *I* was still an actin' Majah I'd 'ave all these Privates bettah prepared." He doesn't yet know that most of "these Privates" are dead in Mossflower now. "When Lord Ciocan gets back I might just 'ave a word wi' 'im 'bout discipline..."   

Monty seems to be completely broken at this point, his shoulders lightly shaking with silent sobs... and there is no resistance as he eventually rises from his seat to follow after Jinora upon her suggestion to return to the mountain. Well, more of an order, really. He pulls the hood of his cloak back up to cover his face in shame, leaning on his friend a little as he is prepared to be led back to Sala. His eyes, now reddened, remain alert beneath the hood, however, darting here and there nervously as he is led outside, the bucks shoulders tensed beneath his cloak.   

Zolomon frowns, he looks at Varus and takes a deep Breath, if he only knew now whom he goes off on...yeah likely to be in trouble maybe later "Oh be quiet ya know nothing, nothing of anything thats happen..How...."He frowns as his good ear droops and he quitly goes to get pie, at the bar and some more ale and sits down drinking it and eatting the pie, tears down his face. He LIVED what happen and almost died.He snifs and seems to think "I'm..s..s....sorry..it's just..." Tears go down his face.."News....and....it was....."And he starts sobbing, a sip of ale, a bite of pie, cough-cough-sob.   

"Thank ye fer yer service, sah." Jinora grumbles to the retired Varus, still leading Monty towards the door. She is very aware that they have suffered great loss, and has compartmentalized it effectively enough for now - but the strain is evident. "C'mon, mate." She mutters to Monty, leading him towards the door... Until Zolomon's outburst. "Fer th'love of - PRIVATE!" There it is. She's snapped - this is an army, and they are blubbering and breaking down in the full view of the civilian public. "You are a Patrollah." She hisses, attempting to practically drag Monty back to the table to get closer to Zolomon. "Both of ye. We signed up fer this. /All/ of this. S'not luck, s'not magic - s'the bloomin' Long Patrol. You. Are. /Soldiahs/. Come with me, Privates." THIS IS HER NIGHT OFF FOR PETE'S SAKE WHY IS EVERYBEAST INTENT ON RUINING IT?!   

Varus is quite frankly appalled by this brazen display of unprofessionalism. Monty gets his sympathy, but Zolomon does not. "PRIVATE, CEASE YER PRATTLE!"

Lutea, Aden, Samara, Mary, Nautch, Jinora, Kympa, Isla, Rionach, and Jion
Avatar is a free base from Ace_Coyote on FA that I edited over

Board footer