Redwall MUCK Forum

Redwall MUCK is an interactive, multiplayer text game set in Brian Jacques' Redwall universe.

Visit RWMUCK.ORG for more info!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-10-24 11:10:30 PM

Lutea
Website

Summons - LP Log

Follows: http://forum.rwmuck.org/viewtopic.php?id=933

Salamandastron: Meeting Room
Ft. Paisely, Varus

The meeting room is empty, save for the Brigadier. She rests against one of the long tables, her thumb and forefinger digging into her temples... Paisely is up to her ear and a half in this mess - the worst time for the Patrol since she's taken the position. Blasted hells. A child major, the funerals... Her daughter has not spoken to her since the news of her son's demise at Redwall, and Paisely isn't sure if that relationship will ever be mended. She never was the best parent, the military was always... Easier. But now? She groans, moving to the podium impatiently. One more meeting left.   

Varus is not looking forward to this summons, whatever it may be for, as he traverses the mountain toward the meeting room. It's been several seasons since he was last in Salamandastron. Lord Sebastian was still alive, in fact. However, he still knows the way like the back of his paw. The halls are so... Empty, quiet. He still hasn't got the news, so he finds it all rather baffling. As he finally reaches the meeting room door, however, he pauses, hesitating like a leveret. What could the Brigadier possibly want? After a moment, he finally knocks, the sound echoing hollowly around the empty corridor.

"Come in." The reply is clipped and immediate. Paisely takes the few seconds before Varus enters to compose herself properly - stiff-backed, stern gazed, Brigadier Tuftington. "Good to see you, Varus. Would you like to sit?" She remains standing beside the podium. "I am afraid you may find it in your best interests."   

Varus steps into the room, absent-mindedly smoothing down his jacket. This must be grim news, indeed. Is it about his son? Surely the Brigadier wouldn't need to see him specifically about that... Regardless, he does take a seat, and salutes, too, out of habit. "Likewise, Ma'am," he replies. He resists the urge to ask any questions, knowing they'll all be answered here in short order.   

"Your son is fine." She understands better than most, that that is an anxiety best lifted first, without it being spoken. Paisely only wishes that she could have given the same sentiment to her own daughter. "I will cut right t'the chase. Our forces suffered a monumental loss while defending Redwall Abbey from th'encroaching horde. We have left but a fraction of our fighting force." Paisely grimaces and pauses a moment to allow him to process this news. "As it is, we are making some hard calls. The Patrol needs leadership, an' we are at a loss for it... I am requesting that you... Postpone your retirement and resume your post as Major."   

Varus' eyes go wide, and he makes an involuntary gasp. Suddenly, it all made sense, and the revelation left him in deep shock. It takes the buck a few minutes to process the information, and when he does, he finally replies, "C-come outta retirement, wot? I mean, ahem... Yes Ma'am... Of course... I, err... Yes, of course, I will. Wotevah is needed." After another long moment, he asks, "H-how bad were th' losses?"   

"Three hundred hares left our Mountain." Paisely bears her teeth in grief, shame, and disgust. "As per our last report, nineteen are returning. We are spread thin, Major. We have pulled troops from Halyard and are refocusing all efforts on our defensive capabilities - we won't be able to keep our... Diminished force a secret for long. The wrong beasts will learn of it, mark my words. We are making the hard calls, 'ere." She sighs. "The Long Patrol thanks you for your dedication. You will be placed in the head of our First Patrol"   

Varus nods, frowning deeply. He can only thank his lucky stars that his own son is still alive, despite their strained relationship. Not everybeast is that lucky. "I will take mah post as soon as possible, wot. Tonight, if I can."   

"Go get fitted for uniform... I imagine retirement has... Altered your measurements, somewhat." There is a twinkle of humor in the Brigadier's eye at this before she waves Major Varus away. "And then get your rest. You will certainly be needing it... I trust that you will process these developments with grace." She moves back to the podium, where a pile of scrolls sits. She shuffles and gathers them before pausing. "And, Major? Welcome back."   

Varus stands, and nods. "Thank you, Brig Tuf... I mean, Brigadier Tuftington." He can't help but chuckle, despite the gravity of the occasion. "Aye, it has. An' thank you." He turns to exit, the pauses. "Good eve," he calls, as he exits.

Last edited by Lutea (2018-10-24 11:19:23 PM)

Lutea, Aden, Samara, Mary, Nautch, Jinora, Kympa, Isla, Rionach, and Jion
Avatar is a free base from Ace_Coyote on FA that I edited over

Board footer