Redwall MUCK Forum

Redwall MUCK is an interactive, multiplayer text game set in Brian Jacques' Redwall universe.

Visit RWMUCK.ORG for more info!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-06-21 04:50:54 PM

oz

Forgiving The Past and Facing the Future-Fate of Marek TP

Who:
Oz- Badger Mother of Redwall,AKA Papa Oz

Benar- Abbot of Redwall

Karth-Archer in Mossflower Defenders (Shows up on pose)

John-Returning Squirrel warrior

Dorarose- Abbey gatekeeper

Lilymoore- Abbey Bell Ringer

Marek-Ferravale Ambassador and Ferravale Tavern Owner

Some abbey guards

Log:

RW Abbey: Gatehouse
A small but well set up room set into the walls of the abbey near the gates. It has a single small window and a sturdy door with iron hinges. One your left the far wall has been almost completely taken up by shelving that holds well cared for old scrolls and manuscripts; the shelves leaving just enough space for a framed painting of Redwall. The wall that the door is set in but on the left hand side is sat a large locker where weapons are stored and then, beside it, is a very small desk that is covered in wood shavings. On the rear wall, below a ladder leading to the loft, is another locker, but it is smaller than the first and more of a cabinet. The only other wall houses a small fireplace and by it sits a pot with a ladle in it, and in front of the hearth is a handmade wooden rocking chair. The only other furnishings in the room are a small table and two chairs.

****OOC NOTE**** Weapons are now stored in a locked room behind the Champion's Cottage ****OOC NOTE****

It is stormy day in Mossflower, and at the gates of Redwall Marek Redthorn stands with a forlorn look upon his face, the Ferravale Ambassador normally makes no attempt to hide his identity, but this afternoon both his face and his body are covered in thick cloak. He approaches the guards and allows them to search him for weapons, placing his oaken staff in the hands of the guards he speaks calmly and deliberately. "I must speak with Abbot Benar as soon as possible, sir. Please bring him to me". The guard nods and briefly ventures into the abbey to hand a note to one of the novices before returning to the gates. "Father Benar will be here shortly"

Benar hurries up from the great hall, the heavy summer rain doing a good job of getting his habit wet as he hurries down the path with his hood up. The rain is lashing down, the odd flicker of lightning crashing across the roiling clouds and soaking everything in site. Reaching the gate house he steps inside and shakes out his habit a moment before pushing his hood back and glancing at the cloaked figure, "What is going on?" He asks the guard on gate duty, "Novice Theo said someone from Ferravale needed to talk to me urgently?"

Oz was asked to come also as, well he is an important leader here at the abbey. "What is...going on, am I needed or ?"

Karth pokes his head inside the building...yeah too many here and he can hear some updates later he is sure as he has been followed, the hare dibbun from earlier as he sighs "I...should get him inside..."He seems unsure and then heads inside.

Following at a slower pace than the others is another squirrel with a rather grim expression upon his face, despite the almost comically large tunic he now has on. John's paw ghosts to were the hilt of his sword usually would be- but of course it is not there. Shifting from one hind paw to the next, he mutters a curse as he remember Xander's words from a few days earlier. His paw drops to his side, hanging loosely. He arrives behind and to the left of the abbot. "Really is pouring now, isn't it, mate?" He mutters.

DoraRose has been off-duty for the past 2 days. She's given herself a little break from guard duty (although when she's needed to be Gatekeeper, she always did her job). She's been helping in the Infirmary, with the Dibbuns, and in the kitchens, instead. Now, on the 3rd and last day of her little break, she is in the Gatehouse loft, mending some things. She took LilyMoore out of her studies so they could spend some quality time together. And did a guard tell her that the Ferravale Ambassador is at the gate? No! So when the door below opens, she has no idea what's going on! Opening the door to that leads to the room below, she walks down the ladder, scowling, the skirt of her green dress making a faint swishing sound on the wooden steps. "What's going on.....oh, hi, Benar," she says as her scowls turns into a smile. "How can I help you....what /is/ going on?" Lily looks down at the little gathering.

Marek sits in the gatehouse calmly, waiting for Benar to arrive, as soon as he does he looks around as if for anything suspicious and then takes off his hood. "Yes, I have come to speak with you Mr. Benar" He voice betrays a hint of fear, and possibly guilt? "Recent events in Ferravale have led me to believe that Mossflower may be threatened by a ghost from my own past. A beast I thought long dead, my brother, Ormaz"

Benar glances at John and grins, "Yeah it is really coming down," He then looks up at Dora as she arrives and is about to respond to her when Marek pushes his hood back. He turns and takes a half step back and the guard moves to interpose himself between Marek and the Abbot. "I see.. and just what is your brother liable to do Marek?" He frowns, "I'm going to have to beef our defenses aren't I? I'm guessing he's not coming to just shout at you?"

Oz nods as Karth takes the dibbun hare off and steps a little further inside curious, "Marek has a brother?" He doesn't say anymore just curious as he listens quietly.

"And I thought one was enough..." John mutters to himself, as he finally sees the beast that caused him quite a bit of trouble some summers and winters ago. He starts to say more, but decides better of it, Xander's words coming back to him again. He sighs, leaning against the wall, looking the stoat over. General silence he supposed was the best policy now, but... "Hello there!" He greets Dorarose. "I guess this'll all be stuff you want to hear..."

"Wait, what?" LilyMoore looks at her friend the stoat, alarmed. Dora frowns. "Lily, honey....hey, close the door and keep working on our projects, and I'll tell you later, okay? Unless Marek wants you to hear..." she turns to the stoat, cocking an eyebrow at him. She then turns to the others and gestures at the various seats scattered around the room. "Get cosy, and I'll make some tea. Nothin' like tea on a rainy day, right?"

She has added some stuff to this room: another rocking chair, knitted and crocheted cushions and doilies, a squishy armchair. A pair of mandolins and a fiddle with its bow are hanging from pegs on the wall to one side of the fireplace. There may not be enough seats for everyone, but the hostess can sit on the floor. She'll probably be fine.

Lily hesitates, but will go back up into the loft if the stoat doesn't say she should or can stay. (If he does, then she'll curl up beside her mother on the floor.) The Warrior sets a teapot over the fire and digs a box of cookies out of a cabinet. "I made these with my own supplies that I got in Ferravale. Don't tell Lacota, okay?" She sets them out on a plate and puts them on the table so everyone can get at them.

"Aye, I met Ormaz. He's a jerk, and extremely annoying, too," DoraRose grumbles as she digs out enough beakers for everyone, as well as some honey. "Marek didn't let me shop his head off, and I still can't understand why," she adds in a mutter.

Marek nods at DoraRose solemnly before turning back to Benar. "My brother is a complicated issue, but it's time to stop hiding my past" He takes a deep breath and pours himself a cup of tea. "When I was a small child, I lived in Send Valley and my home was attacked by Zurrgg and his father Kerza. My father fought alongside Mr. Zee and his brother Powell to defeat them, but my father was lost in the conflict" he frowns. "My mother later died giving birth to Ormaz, and I had to raise him on my own in a small northland village. But we were captured by a slaver named Quickclaw. This slaver led an organization you may be familiar with called The Black Rose". He takes a sip from his tea before he continues. "Ormaz and I attempted to plan an escape by pretending to join the slavers, but when it came time for the escape Ormaz had truly betrayed my trust and become the thing we despised. We fought, and I thought him dead, but after all these many long seasons he has returned, and he has come to destroy my new home"

Benar settles himself into a chair and listens to Marek talk. He remains quiet as he accepts tea from Dora and frowns at the stoat, "I see... well and now they and the.. Black Rose are returning to Mossflower? I assume you have had proof of this or you'd not be bringing this to me...." He glances at Dora, "We will need to talk to the Champion and prepare our defenses... but Dora I am going to need my Gatekeeper here... not running off to the Defenders," He drums his fingers on the arm of his chair, "It seems you are darkening our door with trouble yet again Marek..."

Oz tilts his head sideways as Zee and mainly Powell is mentioned, a name he has not heard in seasons. "You met my father?" He frowns with mention of the Black Rose "I heard...some about the Black Rose, they had another leader...Blackfur, from what heard seems his daughter is in charge now least of this..Black Rose group but what does Ormaz have to do with the Black Rose...is he helping them?"

John laughs at what Dorarose says. "A jerk?" He mutters quietly to her, "If Marek's speaking about him the way he is, I think that may be an understatement!" Whether the laugh is actually because he found what the mouse said funny or just a grim acknowledgment of the absurd (to him, at least) circumstances. But at Marek's statement his interest peaks, and Xander's advice goes out the window. "Blackrose, eh?" The squirrel stands up now, no longer leaning on the wall, and he claps his paws together. "Well, Father Abbot, the Blackrose just so happens to be the trouble I mentioned earlier! And I what I spent the past few days looking for!" He rubs his chin, looking at Marek in earnest. "Suppose your /brother/ is the stoat Xander mentioned. A truly vile beast, I would suppose." He tilts his head, looking at the stoat with a now more neutral expression. "It seems you share the talent of returning from the dead with you brother. Or at least getting beasts to think you're dead."

DoraRose rolls her eyes at the squirrel Warrior as she offers him a beaker of tea. "Well, I never said I was good at describing the characters of others." She then listens to the stoat, then the Abbot, sipping her tea and nibbling a cookie. Lily had closed the door leading to the loft, but that doesn't mean she's not trying to hear what's being said through the floor/ceiling or something. Sitting on the hearth, the Warrior glances around the room. "Black Rose....Blisa said something about that in passing when I visited them after the feast. However, that's also when I met Ormaz, so I was a bit preoccupied." Smilleing slightly at the Abbot, she adds, "Well, he basically threatened my daughter 'cause he discovered that Marek is her friend, so, yeah. In addition to helping with the guards here in the Abbey, I'm going to stick as close to her as possible." But at John's comment about Marek's back-from-the-dead ability, she just struggles to not start sniggering. It's a bit too true, seeing as how he's been squished how many times?

Marek nods. "Yes, we may need all the help we can gather" He finishes his tea and pours another cup. "My brother is not a threat at the moment, but between The Black Rose and any other slaver organizations, I am certain he intends to gather allies. The attempt on my life several months ago when I returned was likely his doing, as well as the ambush that I am caught in with Ms. Angela" He takes a deep breath. "I intend to continue my duties in Ferravale as best I can for as long as I can. My brother cannot be allowed victory in this matter, I am sorry for bringing so much of my past with me to Mossflower, Mr. Benar. It seems that no matter how much I try to atone for my actions, my past continues to affect those who I now care for the most"

Benar stares at Marek for a long moment then turns to Dora, "I think it may be time to inform Lily she cannot go to Ferravale for the foreseeable, my advice is no unnecessary trips, especially if there are slavers out there threatening the beasts of Mossflower. We should not be offering up targets for them to kidnap and sell into slavery... slavery is..." He idly plays with the red metal bracelet around his wrist, "Slavery is not acceptable, I won't stand for it in Mossflower."

He sets his cup aside and stands up slow, turning to Marek, he takes a deep breath, "For the foreseeable future, I believe you should move into the Abbey Marek, I can't risk sending you back out into the forest or Ferravale when your brother and the Black Rose threatening you."

He glances at John then up at Oz and moves to hold his arm, "We'll find you a room to stay in Marek... but i am sure Oz will agree with me that we must be smart about this and step up our care. No trips, no random wandering of our youngsters into the woods... not with slavers around."

Oz listens and..one of the guard's jaws drop at the invite to stay here "Ummmmmmm....." He starts like, what...Oz is quiet as he tries to think, "We...could drop the not allowing him inside, Marek can come in and out of Redwall as needed, he could also least stay the night as travel at night is not wise and, from my understanding Marek no longer carries a weapon...is it wise to get him a room? Or maybe a room for....when needed maybe?"

"Tell me, Marek," John says, looking him dead in the eye, "What kind of beast is your bother? Is he one who would kill a poor sod just for the fun of it?" The squirrel may not have heard much else about the wildcat in charge of the Blackrose besides what Oz said, but the stoat... As for Marek's comment about his past and atonement, John ignores it - though he may just be holding back a small snort. "Father Abbot, if I may," He says, to everyone in the room, "If this Ormaz is worse than Marek... was, I don't think we can wait much longer." His gaze shifts from the Abbot, to Oz, to Dorarose, and finally, Marek. "If you had let Ms. Dora here do what she wanted to do, it might have been easier for us all now. But no matter- All that can be done now is that we move quickly, before they have time to sell any beast, and cut this black rose down." He shrugs. "And maybe scorch the earth around the roots, as well." In a slightly more sad tone, he adds, "I found several beasts from Mossflower in my travels. I don't Wish to find anymore beasts like that again."

DoraRose is just listening, and nods in agreement with the Warrior squirrel. But when the Abbot speaks, all she can do is stare at him, her mouth open in an O shape. "Uh..." The door to the loft slams open, and LilyMoore comes dashing down the ladder. Evidently she's been listening, because she darts straight for the stoat and goes to give him a tackle hug.

"You'regoingtostayhereatRedwallmaybeyoucanstayhereintheGatehouseandwecanhaveaslumberparty!!!!" She manages to say all that in one breath, very, very quickly. Her mother scowls at her daughter. "Lily, you weren't supposed to be eavesdropping! And Benar is right, you're not allowed to leave the Abbey. If the Abbot agrees, I'm not going to allow anyone out, unless they have a written permission slip from Benar himself." She looks at the older squirrel, waiting on his say.

Marek shakes his head. "I agree that Lily should remain here, but I have my duties in Ferravale, Mr. Benar" He rises from his chair and makes to exit the gatehouse. "I cannot stay for.." He is nearly knocked to the ground by Lilymoore's hug, knocking the wind from the Ferravale Ambassador in one quick motion, before calmly removing the child from his person. "Perhaps I can stay a few days, for my own safety then" He coughs. "Make what precautions you may, Mr. Benar, but I must help Ms. Blisa make her own, for if Ferravale falls, Redwall will lose it's nearest available ally. I will inform Mr. Xander of the coming threat and have the Defenders make the necessary steps to increase their numbers" He sits back down in front of  Benar. "If you may" He pauses, reluctant to ask such a large favor from the abbot, despite the suggestions made just moments earlier. "Until we are certain this crisis is resolved, I would like to be able to travel freely between Redwall and Ferravale. If this is too much to ask, I understand.  But I truly believe that it would be mutually beneficial to put aside our differences, for the good of our common home"

Benar remains next to Oz and looks at Marek, "I understand if you have to go back, but as Oz says.... I lift my restriction on only permitting you inside the Abbey during feasts," He pauses and grips the bracelets around his wrists, this is clearly not easy for the abbot, "I return to you the Hospitality of Redwall."

Letting out a deep breath he glances at Dorarose  and then at Marek, "But yes, I think Dora, we need to insist, the children are not to go wandering off on their own any more. No trips to the Market or Ferravale or...." he stops as John talks and turns to look at the squirrel.

"No John... no I ... I can't control what the defenders do, but I am not sending the Champion, my Gate keeper or the guards out on a per-emptive strike. We are not a military force, we do not... go on campaigns. We have.. occasionally sent the Champion out to deal with a problem but never as a per-emptive strike."

He watches Lily rush down and go... gushing turns to Dora and holds her eyes, "Yes Dora, I agree and I am going to seal all the side gates and post guards on them... I am not taking any risks. If anyone sneaks out I am going to be very, very grumpy" He nods to Marek, "I understand your duties call you away... but please do not travel at night and... I have no differences with you, Redwall welcomes you."

Oz listens as Lilymoore comes down the steps and nods "Yes no time in the woods, not that any was planed yet. The dibbuns will of course stay in the abbey and I rarely ever leave the abbey." He hmms "Any warrior, like any Mossflower Defenders should be able to go in and out of the gates BUT let a guard know where they are going at all times. I know Xander will want to go and help find the...this Black Rose and I do know a couple beast are missing...an otter and a hedgehog.Also...maybe a guard of some sort with Marek, for his protection if needed, for when he does need to head back to Ferravale"

Sighing with a shake of his head, John says, "Suppose now it would be to much to ask for a runner of sorts to come with me?" He starts towards the door, adding, "I haven't found where they are yet - that's why I want some beast with me, just in case I find them. They can get a message back to Xander, hopefully." The younger squirrel turns at the doorway, looking back at them all. "And, father Abbot, I already think a few of the beasts here - or at least were friendly with here- have been taken." Right before he exits, he says over his shoulder, "Once I get my kit back on, I'm going out - scouting north of here - If you want to send a messenger  with me, I'll probably be at the north gate. Good day." The squirrel leaves without another word, his shoulders lowered a bit - it would seem he isn't looking forward all that much to another night out in the rain.

DoraRose nods. "Seal all the tiny gates so beasts can only enter through the Main Gate? Check." She watches her daughter sits beside the stoat and sighs. "Lily, you're not allowed to leave the Abbey. Your little bird friends can as long as they're careful, but you can't. Understand?" The Bell ringer nods

The Gatekeeper is again struck speechless at what the Abbot has to say. Wait....well, okay, guess her brain has to wrap around Marek being COMPLETELY AND UTTERLY forgiven now. She eats the rest of her cookie and washes it down with the last of her tea.

"Should I send one of my bird friends with John?" Lily asks. "They can understand almost everything we say, and I can understand them, so I can tell you wherever they find out. And they can carry a paper so John will know why they're following him."

Dora stands, stretching. "So much for my day off," she mumbles. Putting her paws on her hips, she waits to see what the others say.

Marek smiles a bit as holds out his paw to Benar. "Thank you, Mr. Benar. I will not let your trust go to waste, with the aid of our allies we will be ready for my brother when he chooses to strike. And strike he will, as terrible as beast as I became because of my past, Ormaz became far worse, he condones things that I never did and will stop at nothing to take everything from me before he finally takes my own life. He won't just want Mossflower for conquest, he wants Mossflower to burn. Outmatching him in sheer numbers may be easy, but outsmarting him will be far more difficult. I am truly sorry for not ending this when I had the chance" He raises his tea glass. "To putting aside our former adversity, and facing my demons together; because I fear I cannot do it alone"

Benar takes the paw and holds onto it for a moment, "We will face this together Marek, I... ... No Redwall will not let Mossflower face this threat alone. We will all stand tall and true and make sure these slavers are driven out and your brother is stopped."

Oz nods "Yes Redwall will not let Slavers take over, nor will any of our allies. We can send word to Blisa your be here a few days. " He seems to think and then speaks again "I believe we are good on supplies as I know some recent ones were gotten recently."

Shrugging, Lily gets up and whispers something to her mother, who nods. The Bell ringer heads to a closet. The Gatekeeper peers out the window. "Well, y'all, I need to put on my cloak and go tell the guards what's up. Y'all are free to stay here until dinnertime." She grabs her cloak, smiles, then adds as she puts it on, "Marek, you can stay here for the night and during your stay. Lily's getting a cot for you." The Warrior heads out into the weather, closing the door gently behind her. The young mouse maid comes back, dragging a cot behind her. After setting it up and putting sheets, a pillow, and a light blanket on it, she, too, dons her cloak, says, "I'll be right back! I'm gonna tell my bird friends about the new danger they need to watch out for." And heads outside.

Last edited by oz (2018-06-21 07:15:28 PM)

I play:
Brother Gorvenalus-Redwall Abbey Recorder,  Private Cole,a runner, of the Long Patrol
Oz( Yes named after Papa Oz) young adult and Novice in Redwall.

#2 2018-06-21 07:01:59 PM

BlisaMarshmellow

Re: Forgiving The Past and Facing the Future-Fate of Marek TP

Blisa wasn't there ICly.  I'm not sure who benar was looking at when he typed her name, but I thought I should say something.....

#3 2018-06-21 07:15:51 PM

oz

Re: Forgiving The Past and Facing the Future-Fate of Marek TP

Fixed. must of missed it chanegd it to Dorarose

I play:
Brother Gorvenalus-Redwall Abbey Recorder,  Private Cole,a runner, of the Long Patrol
Oz( Yes named after Papa Oz) young adult and Novice in Redwall.

Board footer