Redwall MUCK Forum

Redwall MUCK is an interactive, multiplayer text game set in Brian Jacques' Redwall universe.

Visit RWMUCK.ORG for more info!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-06-05 06:05:22 PM

oz

Story Time at Brockhall-Redwall Log

Who:
Oz-Badger Mother,AKA Papa Oz

Krisha-Badger Mother in Training

Xander- Leader of Mossflower Defenders

Benar-Abbot of Redwall

Lacota-Friar of Redwall

Ximena- Healer in Mossflower Defenders

Northstar-Badger cub and daughter of Xander and Krisha

Spoofed novices, Order Beasts , and some novices

Log:

A small procession makes its way through the trees toward the ancient entrance to Brockhall. It's the Abbot, Elder Mystra, Elder Bartholemew, Brother Theodore, Sister Janine and three or four novices along with four of the abbey guards. The small procession of woodlanders stop outside the mighty door to Brockhall and Benar touches it with a hand reverently and smiles, "We have kept our promise Bella," he murmurs softly, "As we promised long ago, your home is safe, secure and knows the footsteps of badgers..." He bows his head in a moment of prayer then uses the mighty knocker to hammer on the door and let those visiting within that they have guests.

Xander has enjoyed the past few days here, they did have one visitor and it seems they left. At the knock he goes over to answer the door"Oh hey Abbot Benar...how are you, good I hope."

Oz at first felt helpless here but has now learned his way around the place, he has not went much further than the floor above this one where the dorms are as there is the upper areas of the place and some watch tower area. But he is more at ease than he was at first, lot more at ease and walks around some as if he wasn't blind, he is right now sitting in one of the chairs.

Benar asks, "Hello there Xander, I wanted to come and see how you where enjoying your visit here?" He steps inside and smiles up at the massive entrance hall, "It is so very nice to be back... I usually only make the trip here once a year in MidWinter to see how the Hall is doing."

Lacota bustles in from outside, carrying a basket filled with greens and mushrooms. "Benar, what a pleasant surprise. I do hope Sister Violet has not been allowed to commandeer my Kitchen..."

Xander smiles "It is nice here and relaxing here...sort of interesting to of used a large tree and....well end up with this place. This place is most likely nice in winter as well"

Oz nods a hello once Benar is further inside "This place takes....getting use to, but it has been nice to relax the past few days. for once  sleep in a couple times. I do miss the dibbuns though...even if they are a pawfull at times."He smiles "Only one dibbun here and that's Northstar whom is most likely napping with Krisha"

Benar walks over, sandals clicking on the floor and hugs Oz's arm, "You look well for your rest Oz, maybe I should insist you come here for a week or two every year. You are not as young as you once where and using the home of the First Badger mother to rest our Badger Father is a good idea." He then turns and grins at Lacota, "I am afraid I could not say what Sister Violet is up to, but she has been her usual helpful self and Xander." He shakes his head, "I am glad you are enjoying Brockhall, it has a special significant in the history of Redwall and the Badgers of the World. It is here that some of the most famous Badger Lords of Salamandastron where raised."

Xander blinks "Badger Lords...grew up here?" Ok this he didn't know so now he is gonna have to read up on some history" I have..heard some of the Badger Lords, not one or more may of been here. And I can say i meet a Badger Lord..Lord Ciocan, he is...well interesting." He chuckles a little "I..remember thinking, when I was ....younger that he was a s tall as the mountain, he does duck down sometimes I seen in some of the hallways of the badger Mt....then was only there a short time when..."He frowns a little remembering "When...mom found me on the shoreline and she and the others that went were day that winter." He sighs "I..got the chance to tell him...bout mom...it was right before Redwall got the new recorder."

Lacota makes a annoyed face. Alas, the squirrel finds Violet to be a particular nuisance. "I knew the previous Lord, what was his name? I do believe I've forgotten... Do you recall it, Benar? The one before Ciocan?"

Oz just listens and gently hugs Benar "Maybe....we shall see, maybe in winter time spend 2-3 weeks here."

Benar says, "Ah... no I am not that old Lacota, before Ciocan I only remember ah... Colonel Zoe Lang running the Mountain and the Long Patrol," he smiles softly and sadly, "I spent a week hiding out in Martin's Tomb with her when the Abbey was over-run by Marek." He looks up at Xander, "But I have not actually had the pleasure of meeting Lord Ciocan, but then it is not like I really go traveling to the Western Shore. The Abbey needs me at home doing my job he sounds like a very fine badger." He moves toward the doors, "Let's go downstairs and I can tell you the tales of the Badger Lords I know of if you like."

Ximena has only been here like a couple days, mainly to help with healer stuff, which was not needed really...well there was Ferro and now he seems gone, She starts to come down the steps "You know that....friend..of yours shouldn't go out in the heat so soon or did he leave at night...and..."She stops at..company "Oh....bad timing, I can leave....I was just here to ....I'll just go"

Xander smiles "That sounds nice..."He notices Ximena and waves "It's ok...This is Abbot Benar and..Ferro did slip out this morning said he had to get back to his shop and he should be ok, he was just outside too long cause he was looking for Krisha...found her and all is ok and no she wasn't missing, Ferro just didn't know where Brockhall was...and got a little lost"

Lacota sets his basket down. "Hmm... Well, I'm younger than you are, at least I thought... Regardless, I've actually been to Salamandastron, back when Marek was being a right pain... Interesting times, that was. That was two seasons before Lorimis passed, if I'm not mistaken..."

Oz smiles "I never meet any badger Lords...I know  Uncle  Zee meet Lord Ciocan as he spoke of him, how he gave the youngster some advise....he also seemed to think living in a mountain with no windows but one or two was...not the best thing, then again Uncle Zee disliked closed in areas....a lot if remember right"

Benar lifts his habit and smiles at the hamster, "Good day to you miss, please do not feel like you need to leave on my account. I was just dropping in to see how everyone is doing on their little holiday." He motions for one of the novices to bring a large hamper over toward Lacota, "I did take the liberty of raiding the pantry myself and packing a hamper of supplies, let's head downstairs and we can all settle in for a story."

Ximena nods "I...ok. My name is Ximena...a healer."She is interested in a story and goes to follow the others downstairs.

Xander smiles "A story would be nice and stores are always good to hear...not very often sit down for one as usually been busy with...well Mossflower Defenders and all but its been nice to relax myself and not worry so much"

Oz says, "Its been fairly peaceful. And relaxing is good for anyone...even when they don't want to relax"He smiles and heads down the steps as he does know hos way around....just not the further upper levels, not that there is a need to be up there besides Dorms anyways.

Lacota opens the hamper and pokes around. "Ah, you brought along some of the good raspberry cordial. I've been saving a stash of this for special occasions. This is just such an occasion..."

Krisha is downstairs and has heard the voices but didn't come on up to see who it was as she was tending to the badger cub Northstar, who is currently getting better at crawling...they have yet to learn to pull their self up to stand but its likely soon knowing her.

Benar settles down in a very large oversize armchair, the ancient oak almost dark as iron from age. He touches the carvings on the wood for a moment then smiles around the great old sitting room, "It was here that Redwall was born you know? In these halls Abbess Germaine drew the plans for Redwall Abbey, whilst Martin the Warrior and the defenders of Mossflower fought against the great wild cat Queen to free Mossflower. She was already working on a home of peace and tranquility"

Ximena says, "This place has been around...that long?"

Xander smiles at Krisha "Hi...we have company." He sits down and gets ready for a story.

Oz smiles "I have told some of the first badger mother....there is in fact journal writings still in the abbey library from here that she wrote while she was badger mother, maybe a way to help future badger mothers.....others have also written down though while badger mother of the abbey also,...all had good advise or maybe wrote down feelings when first took on the job"

Krisha says, "Helllo dear and the Abbot did say he was coming, he just didn't say when"

Lacota sets about finding several cups, serving every beast some of the previously mentioned raspberry cordial as Benar relates the tale. The squirrel likewise sets out some cheese and nuts and scones.

Benar smiles at Xander, "Older, Lord Stonepaw is the first recorded badger lord who reigned here before moving to the mountain. He is recorded as having been a youngster long long ago. He was Bella's Great Grandfather and as you all know how long Badger's live you can imagine who long ago that was."

Xander nods and smiles "So....well long time basically"

Oz asks, "So what is the story that will be told today?"

Ximena says, "I like history....it helps one learn about how beasts use to live and where they lived and a lot know of Badger lords just not a lot of their past."

Lacota mmms. "Just think, that was many hundreds of seasons ago."

Krisha sighs a little "Most badgers live a long time....some don't but yes most do. Some are warriors..a lot are. some blacksmiths..some have other jobs. I don't know what my parents did and..its not like my adopted father knew either...I was....an infant when I lost them"

Benar crosses his legs and arranges his habit and smiles at everyone, "My story for today is the tale of Lord Brocktree, he set aside his birth name and took the name of his ancestral home so he would always remember his home and heritage when he set forth. You see the dreams of the Mountain where calling to him so he knew it was time to walk onward. He left at home his young son Boar and walked off into the woods, ever heading to the West”

Xander listens "I...wander what it is like....to feel lead somewhere since it doesn't call all badgers. It does seem a good place to...well..guess for a badger to feel welcome also, I never was too far into Salamandastron myself the couple times I was there for a short time each time....once with mom and..once on my own to bring some news of Mossflower at the time."

Oz nods as he listens to the story. He knows some of Brock Halls history as he read some before he went blind and has heard some stories of the place.

Ximena asks, "But some badgers are like called other places and some just wander around right? From what I seen...badgers are sort of....rare to see together unless they are family."

Lacota says, "I was in the mountain for about a week, with... Well, with your mother, Xander, and later on Leon, too. I don't believe Dorarose was with us..."

Krisha just listens and rocks a very tried Northstar back and forth in an old rocking chair.

Benar smiles quietly, "Meanwhile on the Western Shore the great Mountain came under threat from the forces of Ungatt Trunn, he who was master of the Blue Horde, Keeper of the Web Spinners the Wild Cat whose very presence made the stars fall from the sky and the ground be hidden from view."

Ximena smiles and just sits and quietly listens to the story..enjoying it.

Xander listens as he has not heard this story yet and wants to know all the history he can learn.

Oz sips some cordial and leans back in his chair listening to the story as well.

Krisha smiles, she is interested in the story as she listens to all that's said, the badger cub Northstar now quietly sleeping in her lap.

Lacota has actually read of it himself, but finds it no less interesting, though he's also busy sorting mushrooms.

Benar sips his drink and smiles at Lacota in thanks and turns back to look at everyone "Ungatt Trunn was a mighty warrior but twisted and mad with power and a lust to conquer. He had prophecies that said he was to defeat the badger of the mountain and all the land would be his to rule. His beasts, the armies who marched at his order each and every one of them dyed their fur blue so that none would be distinguished from the next for they where warriors in the service of Ungatt Trunn. Even worse he considered those not worthy of being his warriors, to be lesser creatures worth only to be used as slaves or thralls to do his bidding."

Xander blinks "Blue...you would think he would want them to....not be so well known" But he listens to see what is said next in the story, what happens next he wonders.

Oz just stays relaxed and listens, he likes stores with history of the lands around them

Krisha says, "That seems....strange to want to be the color blue"She is curious of an answer but will listen for it to be told in the story."

Benar shakes his head, "He was arrogant, why should he skulk and hide? he was Ungatt Trunn, master of the Blue Hordes, they where Blue because he wished them to be known and feared. And feared they where but whilst Ungatt Trunn menaced the ancient Lord Stonepaw and his remaining Hares in the mountain. What of Brocktree? he was far to the West, young and free and it is there that he met Dorothea, the hare maiden who would go on to become one of the founding members of the Long Patrol and captain of the Hares who would face down Ungatt Trunn

Lacota nods, remembering the famed Long Patrol.”

Xander says, "And the Long Patrol was always great fighters....right?"

Oz sips some cordial as he listens, he has heard tales of fighters in he Long patrol, both good ones and not so good ones.

Krisha says, "I am sure there was some good fighters, but maybe not all were at the mountain, some could of been elsewhere on like a patrol as they do those I heard, and have that village nearby...forgot the name"

Xander says, "I don't like the village near Salamandastron"

Lacota says, "Halyard did not yet exist back then, I believe."

Oz nods "I think its not been around too long....no idea how long as heard of it when I first came to the abbey some seasons ago"

Krisha frowns at Xander, but decides to ask him later why he dislikes the village so much.

Benar shakes his head, "The village did not exist then, nor did the Long Patrol... seasons of peace had depleted the youngsters from the mountain. They had ranged out seeking adventure, seeking lives of their own and left the duty of the shore. Those who remained with Lord Stonepaw where old, frail, none of them old enough to truly fight the hordes of Ungatt Trunn and so on a dark day when Lord Stonepaw died allowing his elderly retainers to escape did the great Mountain of Salamandastron fall to the forces of the Blue Horde and their master."

Xander frowns "The badger mountain....once was taken over?"

Oz nods as he has heard this story before as he remembers another telling the tale one time in the abbey few seasons ago.

Benar inclines his head, "Salamandastron like Redwall has fallen several times in its history. But each time good has won out over the forces of evil. Like this time, Lord Brocktree and Dorothea rallied the hares of the Westlands, forging them into a true army of righteous warriors and they marched on the Mountain of the Badgers"

Lacota nods, sipping from his own cup.

Krisha listens best she can but is falling asleep, not cause of the story, she is just tried from careing for Northstar whom has been extra moody today and right niow she just seemsl ike such a quiet dibbun...yeah should have been here ealier guys.

Xander listns closely, he finally gets some coridal of his won and a scone to nibble on as he listens closely to the story learning all he can.

Benar goes on with the story “The battle was long and hard, but with help it was won  by the side of good. Lord Brocktree was almost killed by his life was saved and he soon defeated Ungatt Trunn and snapped the wildcat's back and threw the wildcat to the sea.

Krisha listens and smiled before falling asleep, she has had a long day after all.

Oz sips coridal and listens “A good story Benar, very good”

Xander smiles “So...what happen next....please and what weapon did Brocktree have as always heard Badger Lords have great weapons...Lord Ciocan has a large LARGE war hammer.”

Benar chuckles “ Brocktree's primary weapon was an enormous double-pawed and double hilted great-sword  that I believe he made himself. At the end of his long lifespan, Brocktree shared the leadership of Salamandastron with his son, Boar. When he died, he was entombed in a secret upper chamber in the mountain in full armor among mysterious prescient carvings, to one day be discovered by his descendants. Brocktree later  even appears in a vision to Sunflash telling him to live on and become the ruler of Salamandastron. “ He smiles “That ends the tale today.”

Xander smiles “Stay the night Abbot Benar....you can head back to the abbey tomorrow.” He glaces at Krisha and excuses himself as he goes to lift her, first handing Northstar to Oz and takes Krisha to bed to sleep, he returns to see if anyone is staying or not.

Oz nods “That would be wise as it is dark now and you can have breakfast here”

Benar smiles “Alright I think I may stay the night and leave after breakfast tomorrow morning.”He smiles “There is more than enough room for me and the others in the dorms” He heads on to the dorms after a little while.

Xander smils and gets Northstar “Goodnight Uncle Oz...sleep well”

Oz nods “Of course Xander....good night”

I play:
Brother Gorvenalus-Redwall Abbey Recorder,  Private Cole,a runner, of the Long Patrol
Oz( Yes named after Papa Oz) young adult and Novice in Redwall.

Board footer