Redwall MUCK Forum

Redwall MUCK is an interactive, multiplayer text game set in Brian Jacques' Redwall universe.

Visit RWMUCK.ORG for more info!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-06-02 02:32:24 PM

BlisaMarshmellow

A squirrel returns (IC Redwall log)

SCENE:  Redwall Abbey Entryway

CHARACTERS:  DoraRose, a female mouse.  John, a male squirrel.  Thomas, a male mouse.  Ping, a male mole.  Ferro, a male monitor lizard.

LOG:
"All right, all right!" A voice drifts from the gates - a squirrel was emptying his pockets at the guard's request, pulling out the small knife and dropping it into the surprisingly large pile of weapons. "That's all of them, mate." John's tail swishes back and forth irritably. As the mouse lets him past into the Abbey, John looks about, muttering, "Seems not much has changed here." Whether that's a positive statement or not is up to interpretation. He pauses before the steps, looking up.

DoraRose is on duty, but was busy checking on the guards on the East wall when the squirrel arrived.  As Gatekeeper, she takes her job very seriously, and even though she's not fully in charge of the guards, she still tries to make them feel appreciated and included (as well as making sure they're not dehydrated).  So she's just now coming back to the threshold of the wall, her attention being arrested by the pile of weaponry and so ignoring the newcomer squirrel for now.  "Oi vey.....what'd we get, a band of cutthroat vermin in need of medical care?"  Because why would a law-abiding squirrel be carrying THAT many pokey things?

John turns back, seeing the other mouse. He tilts his head to the side, squinting his eyes when he hears the comment. "Moreso the gear to /deal/ with them, eh?" He has a bit of a grin on now. "Never can be /too/ careful, in my experience!" He starts to head back to the gate - and the pile. "'Tis only a few things, you know. Just covering my bases."

DoraRose finally notices the squirrel.  "All of these are yours??"  She comes down the stairs, not noticing the irony of the fact that she's toting a war hammer with a bastard sword strapped to her side.  As she comes down to his level, she squints slightly at him and adds, "Hey, do I know you?"

A pause. "Aye, Dorarose. Been a bit since I've been up around here, though." John pokes a crossbow with his boot. "Just can't stand the bloody winters up here! An' the summers down south-east are just so pleasant." In a more serious tone, he adds, "As for all this, well - again, can't be too careful. And I've been busy." He looks up at her. "Done, though - at least for now."   

Thomas wanders along from the direction of the pond, using his walking stick to guide himself.   

Ping walks into the entry and watches as beasts go to and from the main entryway and backs up as an otter heads into a building.

Ferro steps up to the gates, of course he does give up his one weapon, well he still has fangs and claws but not like he can hand those over! A guard sort of looks uneasy...for sure when the lizard smiles as it's creepy even if he is trying to be friendly and then just snorts and heads slowly inside.

DoraRose's face light up with recognition.  "Oh, John!  Well, hello, welcome back to Redwall," she extends her free paw.  "Whatever could you have been doing to warrant so /many/ weapons?"  She notices the mole and nods pleasantly to him.  "Good day.  Oh, hello, there, Thomas!"  As the gates open yet again, she turns to look, then rolls her eyes at the uneasy guard.  "Dude, he's just a monitor.  You see Zarok, like, every day.  Please just close the gate and take all these weapons to where they go."  Sighing heavily, she says to the Ferravle Blacksmith, "Sorry about that."

John shakes the offered paw. "Thanks, an' hello." He glances at the newly arrived mouse and mole, nodding to them in greeting. Then, bending down to the pile of weapons, he says "Probably should get this all stored better - pain to clean, you know." He glances at Dorarose. "Suppose you're in ch-" His spine straightens as he catches sight of the lizard, his right paw inching slowly down to the crossbow; ready to grab if needed. "Now, I assume that one," he gestures with his other paw to Ferro, "Is one of the town's, right?" It was said quietly. He relaxes a bit at the gatekeeper's words, leaning back. But he still seems tense.   

Ping frowns, just a monitor? Don't they snack on like other beasts so he is smart and keeps his distance. He does offer a smile and wave to Dorarose.   

Thomas seems to perk up at DoraRose's words, and he waves with his free paw. The nod from John, however, is not acknowledged at all. "DoraRose, good afternoon to you. Fabulous day we're having, don't you think? Not too hot today. The area near the pond is quite nice to just sit and think." He doesn't appear to notice Ping at all, but squirrel's voice is unfamiliar. "Afternoon to you, too, sir."   

Ferro nods and watches the squirrel and the others before snorting and finally speaks "Ferro.....not jussssssssst ssssssssome beasssssst" He speaks in a deep voice and shakes his head "I wassssssss on my way back after sssssome...isssssssues with the late ssssssspring that sssssssssssseems to want to be sssssssssummer and overheat one." One reason he is out, not as hot today like it was like 2-3 days ago.

DoraRose gestures at a couple of guards, who start to pick up the squirrel's weapons.  "I'm Gatekeeper, and in charge of getting weapons put away.  Don't worry, they'll all be together in a safe, waterproof locker."  She gestures to the lizard.  "Aye, he's Ferravale's Blacksmith, and a good friend.  And yes, it's quite nicer today than it was a few days ago," she says in response to both the other mouse and the monitor.  She waves to the mole, inviting him to join them.

John says, "Ah huh." Standing, John nods to the monitor. "Sure. I won' agrue with that." The squirrel helps the guard pick up the weapons, saying over his shoulder, "'Tis a good afternoon. Better summers up here than away burning down south, eh?" "   

Ferro says, "I dissssslike the sssssouth, my tribe wasssssss there and I left....they have all been ssssslain now after they caught up to me and my daughter.""   

Ping still keeps his distance and pulls out a card he has that he shows to others =I am Ping= it reads as he then puts it away. Someone can read it off if needed for Thomas to know, if he is curious.   

Thomas is still sadly unaware of Ping's arrival. "The south... Been there, quite a few seasons back. Near Southsward. Lovely castle down there. Are you originally from Southsward, sir?"

DoraRose reads the card the mole shows as some of the guards warily watch the newcomer squirrel to ensure that he doesn't repocket any of his weapons.  The Gatekeeper smiles.  "Well, it's nice to meet you, Ping!  I hope you're having a good stay here in Redwall..."  "Miz DoraRose!  Joe thinks the lock for the North wallgate is broken!"  The mouse sighs.  "I guess I should go check that.  I'll see you around, guys.  Perhaps y'all can tell me about the Southlands when I get off duty.  I've never been there myself, so I'd like to hear your stories.  Catch ya later."  She turns and heads across the Abbey lawn to the North wall.  If this is a false alarm, Joe is in for a lashing, at least by her tongue.....

~*END*~

Thanks for reading! smile

Board footer