Redwall MUCK Forum

Redwall MUCK is an interactive, multiplayer text game set in Brian Jacques' Redwall universe.

Visit RWMUCK.ORG for more info!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-05-31 02:52:11 PM

BlisaMarshmellow

Modern-Day Conveniences/Modern Mossflower OOC RP

What if Mossflower, instead of being set in the Middle Ages, took place in the modern times? 

And apologies if we get any technological shtuff wrong D:

SCENE:  Ferravale tavern.

CHARACTERS:  Marek, a male stoat.  DoraRose, a female mouse.

LOG:
It's a beautiful day in 2018 Mossflower.  Spring has sprung, the woodland birds are singing, and flowers are blooming to their heart's content!
A light blue car drives slowly down the road to Ferravale, its windows down so its sole occupant can enjoy all the glories of Spring.  DoraRose smiles, both paws on the wheel of her hybrid car, reveling in the lovliness of the day.
When she arrives at the gates of Ferravale, she shows her identification so they'll know where she last was, just in case she goes missing, then she drives on and carefully pulls into a parking space in front of the tavern.  Turning her car off and unbuckling her seat belt, the mouse grabs her sword and buckles it on, then exits her car, making sure to grab her purse before she closes the door.  Pulling out her cell phone, she checks it, then stuffs it back into her purse and heads towards the tavern's front door.
Smoothing down her black shirt, she goes to open the door, silent even in her sandals and blue jeans.  The wedding rings on her left paw catch the light as she enters the building, looking around to see how many beasts are here and if she knows any of them.

Marek is at the bar, mainly ignoring the hustle and bustle of the various customers as Patch serves drinks. It's a slow day and not much is really going on, Marek has just finished watching an episode of Game of Thrones on his smartphone and is trying to figure out how to exit HBO Go and return to the main menu, technology is not his thing.

DoraRose spies the tavern owner and heads in his way, ignoring the people who are trying to read her shirt, which says, "PTSD: Not a Character Flaw."  "Hey, Marek," she says when she gets up to the bar.  "How are you?"  She sets her blue purse on the counter, keeping her arm looped through the straps.  "Has business been going?"

Marek looks up and notices DoraRose, deciding to turn off his phone rather than constantly attempting to navigate it, he much preferred flip phone's to their newer counterparts but was persuaded by Lilymoore to buy one. "Yes, of course. So nice to see you, Ms. DoraRose. Anything I can get you?" he turns to Patch. "Speaking of getting things, Patch. I want you to go downtown to the Rusty Bucket and bring me back a Reuben and a Diet Coke. Here is cab fare, when you return you can take your break". The rat scurries off to buy lunch.

DoraRose smiles.  "I'll take tea, please, and some ice cream.  I ate lunch back at the Abbey."  She nods to the phone.  "Lily finally convince you, I take it?  She wrote down her number for me to give you.  What do you think of these modern gadgets?"  She pulls out her phone, which is also a smartphone.  It has a pink see-through case that is full of some fluid that has confetti and glitter floating in it.  "I mostly use it to keep track of what Blisa and Lily post on social media and to read ebooks with."

Marek pockets his cellphone and writes down DoraRose's order, after handing it to one of the tavern workers he shakes his head. "I don't much care for them, I'm a bit old fashioned". From under the counter he pulls out a large bulky laptop that barely fits in the cloth case designed to hold it, the laptop is a shambling mess and looks as if it started falling apart years ago but it surprisingly still turns on. After a few minutes, Marek plugs in a mouse and fan into the usb ports and patiently waits for the computer to boot up. This, as those who know Marek well is his go-to choice for technology use. His paws rest on the keyboard, no longer worried about accidentally triggering the touchpad that stopped working many years ago. "I much prefer my own devices, they work just fine"

DoraRose watches, a smile teasing at her face as she tries to not giggle.  "Well, whatever works, yeah?  I have a laptop, but I'm letting Lily play on it today.  She has a game that lets her build public aquariums."  Her phone makes a tweeting sound, but she ignores it.  "I don't think I'd have the patience to use something so old."

Marek smiles as his desktop loads up, he proceeds to check Facebook. "You get used to it after a while, Ms. DoraRose. After all, I grew up in a time when computers weren't a thing" he frowns. "I also spent a good portion of my life either in captivity or fighting the very nation I now serve to defend. I thank Mossflower for their asylum. I am not welcome in many other countries"

DoraRose nods, then thanks the tavern server who brings her her tea and ice cream.  "Thank you!"  she says, then turns back to the stoat as the server moves on.  "Well, that is true.  I grew up with the earlier home computers, and they've been getting faster ever since....as has the pace of most creatures today," she adds a little bitterly as she takes a spoonful of her ice cream.  She takes a few more bites as she listens to him talk.  Her facial expression changes, hardens.  She seems to close into herself, be less open, throw up mental walls.  She absently takes another bite of ice cream, unaware that the stoat has stopped talking.

Marek notices DoraRose's face as he stops talking. "Are you alright, Ms. DoraRose. Something seem's a bit off with you today"

DoraRose glances up, then looks at her ice cream as she stirs it a little.  "Oh....I...I'll be okay, I'm just having a bad day with....well, y'know."  She sent the stoat a 'friend request' on social media when her daughter did, and the mouse is very open about her struggles with Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder on her page -- she uses it as a blog of sorts.  So anybody who reads what she posts will know about her battle with PTSD.  Also newly posted on social media is a picture that Blisa drew and posted.  It's Marek himself, looking incredibly realistic, yet younger.  She also posted one of what Bandit would look like if he wasn't fat.  LilyMoore has posted a photo she just took of her mom's laptop screen.  It's of a group of baby eels with the caption, "The eel eggs in my aquarium just hatched!"  It already has 2 likes.

Marek raises an eyebrow. "I see. We all have our troubles, Ms. DoraRose. Only time can heal them. Time and those who we have left" Marek smiles. "Never forget that" he looks at the pictures that Blisa made. "I sometimes lie awake at night remembering that I wasted my youth, but if I let that thought consume me then I won't be the only one that suffers. Time heals all wounds, Ms. DoraRose. We just need to give it time"

DoraRose sighs and takes another bite of her ice cream.  "I hope you're right.  My counselor says to be patient with myself, but that's hard."  Her phone bings again, and this time she looks at it.  Lily has just posted an update on her page saying that one of the tuna in her aquarium died and she's sad about it.  She's asking if that's silly.  The adult mouse sighs.  "I should probably comment on my daughter's post.  Gimme a sec."  She unlocks her phone, goes to social media, and starts typing.

Marek nods as he begins playing Candy Crush. "Take your time, Ms. DoraRose. Family is all we have left, cherish it every moment you can"

DoraRose nods and continues to type.  She then smiles slightly and sets her phone down as it bings again.  "There.  I think that fixed it."  LilyMoore posts another thing and tags the stoat in it.  It 's a picture that she drew.  It's not as good as Blisa's drawings, but it's also not too bad.  It's the 2 of them looking at a bush that has purple flowers on it.

Marek smiles. "That's very nice" he spends a few minutes clicking around before he turns the computer towards Ms. DoraRose, revealing a black and white photo of an ashen stoat standing by a log cabin with nothing but snow and trees in the background, next to him is a much younger dark-black furred stoat, the two are both smiling. "Whenever anxiety or depression gets to me, Ms. DoraRose I look at this picture. I may not be able to get back those I've lost, but I can always remember them. It's been over 70 years since I lost my parents, but they can still live on in my memory. The same is true for those you have lost, Ms. DoraRose. Never forget that". An instant later the laptop runs out of power forcing Marek to charge it. "If you always remember that, you'll come a lot closer to peace of mind"

~*END*~

Thanks for reading! big_smile  And feel free to do your own RPs in this plot arc thing smile

Board footer