Redwall MUCK Forum

Redwall MUCK is an interactive, multiplayer text game set in Brian Jacques' Redwall universe.

Visit RWMUCK.ORG for more info!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-05-19 02:20:00 PM

BlisaMarshmellow

A new desk and chair for the Chiefie! (IC FV log)

Happens later in the day after this http://forum.rwmuck.org/viewtopic.php?id=675 RP smile

SCENE:  Ferravale Town Hall, Chieftain's office

CHARACTERS: Blisa, a female cat; various spoofed friends.  Sarnith, a male ferret.

LOG:
A storm rages outside, the high winds bowing the mighty trees of Mossflower Woods.  Rain falls in lashing sheets as lightning flashes and thunder rumbles.  The occasional hailstone is even spit out at the ground by the clouds.
Inside the Town Hall of Ferravale, Blisa sits at her desk, scowling deeply.  A fire crackles in its place on one wall, and a pair of lanterns hang from the ceiling above her desk, shining into the darkness that the storm's clouds have cast over the land.  A candle burns on the far side of her desk, providing more illumination for the Chieftain as she reads a report that a wall guard gave her a short while ago.
Ferdinand is behind her, weaving at his loom, like he always does when there's no emergency.  On Blisa's other side sits Valerie, who is working on a painting.  They glance at the young cat as she shifts in her seat, then return to their hobbies.  The feline moves the wooden block she's having to use to make her chair fit, then bumps her knee on the underside of her desk.  A growling hiss escapes her throat.  "I need a new chair," she grumbles moodily.

Outside the lightning continues to flash, thunder rolls like a wobbly sheet of tin and the rain is doing a good job of making a great deal of mud and dousing everything that has the misfortune of being out in it. With the booming of the thunder the front door shudders, then some time passes, waiting for a break in the thunder. When there is a momentary diminuation of the din outside the door gets knocked on again, harder this time, then the thunder really gives it a good cracking boom that shakes the chieftain's home.

At the Chieftain's home, the door finally opens, and Clarissa the rat sticks her head out and peers.  "'Llo?"  Lightning flashes again, illuminating the front porch.  In the Town Hall, Blisa slams the paper down onto her desk and rests her head in her paws.  "Grrr, slaver bands, maniacal stoats, ill-fitting chairs....why'd I have to be so short, anyhow?  Can't Mossflower have one stinkin' peaceful Summer, or is that too hard to ask?!"  Ferdinand, not taking his gaze off his loom, says gently, "We did have the one peaceful Thummer when Benar had hith trip throughout the area for a few weekth before the featht."  "Okay, yeah, ONE stinking Summer!  WHY CAN'T THEY ALL BE LIKE THAT?!"

The caller leaves the chieftain's hut when the door isn't answered. Moving off it next tries the halls since there appears to be light behind the closed storm shutters. This time the door to the hall gets a good pounding on while the thunder is rolling, then a pause. A hard gust of wind rattles things as the thunder continues, when it does die down again another pounding is tried on the door. The thunder doesn't boom right away this time, but the lightning is going off so frequently that it's sure to come soon. Standing on the other side of the door is a very wet, muddy, be leafed, be twigged and rather bedraggled looking ferret that has all manner of other storm debris plastered to him by rain and wind. The fern frond that was making due as an eye shield is mostly tatters now and seems to have gained a few similar looking friends from the storm.

A guard immediately opens the door and looks at the ferret.  "Huh?  Oh, you're de carpenter beast, yeah?  The Chief's in her office."  Back at the Chieftain's home, Clarissa has slammed the door closed, eyes wide and paws a-tremble.  "I...I....I think I saw a ghost, mates!"  She whispers to the relaxing bodyguards who are enjoying being off-duty.  They look at each other.  While they try to reassure the former sea rat, and the guard in the Town Hall goes to show the wet ferret in to talk to the Chieftain, Blisa rests her head on her desk.  "I mean, slavers?  Why slavers?!  Why do bad things happen to me?!  Why can't /good/ things happen more often?!"

Well, a few more possibly bad things are in store before the good ones get there. First, a wet ferret, in an enclosed space. Second As soon as he gets out of the wind and rain he starts shedding debris, mud, and water onto the space in front of the door. Thirdly the ferret goes to say something, then as the water tickles his nose instead he sneezes and sprays water all over the place. Rubbing at his nose the ferret tries again, then sneezes again. Third times a charm it seems as the ferret finally manages to say something that could pass as an intelligible language. "Lawks! Ed's were'd a nice'd day's ou's der's no'd long's ago's, er, 'ello's Blisa's, 'ow's yer's? Ferdinand'y." Having thought of at least the slightest bit of manners the ferret stays by the door, dripping away!

The guard who showed the carpenter to the door backs away slowly.  The bodyguards can deal with this.  And they look up slowly, their eyes wide.  Blisa's head jerks up, and she stares at his dripping form.  "Oh my goodness, Sarnith!  Why on Earth are you out in this crazy weather?"  Ferdinand smiles slightly.  "I'm well, thank you.  How were you before the rain attacked you?"  Valerie sets down her oil paints, grabs another canvas and some watercolours, and immediately starts painting away, glancing up at the dripping ferret now and then as she captures the moment for posterity!

Still industriously shedding leaves, mud, and rain water the ferret says " I's were'd jus' fine'd, fink's I's still'd be'd, a lil's bid's a rain's never'd 'urd's I's none'd. An's I's be'd 'ere because'd I's 'ear'ds yew's needed's ter's 'ave yer's desk's adjus'ded an may'aps a new'd chair's. " The pack of wooden rods the ferret has on has since been covered with an oiled cloth and is also rolling water off onto the floor. Looking about and still a bit dazzled by the light after having his eyes mostly closed in the rain Sarnith is trying to figure out what that beast is doing to that bed sheet.

Valerie would be horrified if he called it a bed sheet out loud!  It's a canvas attached to a wooden frame, and she is ignoring his curious looks and is continuing to industriously attack it with watercolour paints.  Ferdinand raises an eyebrow at the water that's pooling rapidly on the floor, stands, and walks to a closet.  "Aye, but being wet ith a touch uncomfortable.  Here," he opens the door and holds a towel out to his fellow ferret.  "Pat yourthelf down 'til you're comfortable, and I'll clean up the puddle tho you don't thlip on the way out."  Pulling out a mop and an empty bucket, the Head Bodyguard smiles warmly, not blaming the carpenter for the mess one bit (even though it is kind of his fault for not shaking dry in the entryway).  Blisa hops off her chair to the floor, landing, of course, on her feet.  "Aye, I do need a new chair.....and perhaps a new desk."  She pats the one she has now.  "This was my father's. and I don't necessarily want it altered."
If the carpenter will look, he'll see that she's been sitting on a rough wooden block, barely softened by a thin cushion, that she set on the seat of the huge chair.  The desk is a heavy oaken thing with drawers and a beautiful maple top.

Taking the towel Sarnith looks at it for a while like he is trying to figure out what exactly it is for then hangs it over his arm while he doffs the pack. What ever color the towel was it quickly turns a muddy brown as the ferret goes about drying up a bit. While he dries and looks over the desk Sarnith runs about ways to shorten up the desk in his head until he comes back to what he thought was a bed sheet. Looking at it again Sarnith says "Wha'd are yer's 'avin done's der's da'd bed shee'd? Hrm...." Seeming to lose that train of thought the carpenter first answers Ferdinand then moves on to Blisa "Well's ed's never's really's do's bugger's I's. An der's desk's look's ter's me like's ed's could's jus' use'd a bid's a lower'ins, I's ken's do's dad's from's der's upper's er's der's bod'em, if yer's wan's udder's wise I'sll 'ave's der's make up der's heigh' wid's der's chair. An speakin o der's chair'd, 'ow's would'jers like's ed's der's be'd?"

Valerie looks up, completely horrified.  "It's not a bedsheet, it's a painting canvas!"  Ferdinand is also horrified, but not at the comment.  Rather, as a fastidious ferret, he is shocked at how a creature of his species could possibly allow himself to get so filthy!  However, he has more good grace than that and is trying (which is the key word here) to not stare at the formerly clean yellow towel.  Blisa is also trying, with slightly more success because she's too busy trying to discipher what in the world her visitor just said.  "Um, well....I'd rather my father's desk not be touched.  He....."  she really misses him, it's plain, but she can't bring herself to say it.  "And Heavens, I have no clue about the chair!  I just want it to fit.  If it had a built in ladder or step stool of sorts, that would be helpful.  And a higher seat so I wouldn't have to sit on this stupid block anymore."  It's also clear that she detests the wooden block.  It does look rather uncomfortable.

Finally done with what was formerly a towel and now looks like a towel shaped mud puddle Sarnith holds it out for Ferdinand saying " Welcome'ds, an's  yer's gonna's 'ave's a 'igh chair'd den's, now's der yer's wan's ed's 'igh's backer'd er's, lean's backerd's, arm'd, padded's, reclinen's er's somethin's else'd? " After answering Blisa Sarnith seems to recall the bed sheet, after a moment of pondering he goes on with " Like's a canvas'd bed's shee'd? Dad's jus' odd's fing's der's do der's ed's is all's I's sayin's "

Ferdinand swallows his horrified look and takes the poor towel in between one finger and its matching thumb.  He does the sensible thing and drops it in the bucket then, when the carpenter is not looking, grabs a rag from the closet and wipes his paw with it, suppressing a shudder.  Valerie chokes on her words, claps her paws to her head, and squeaks slightly.  Blisa cackles, then says, "A ladder on the side, not the front.  I have to deal with enough short girl jokes as it is....wait....ummmm...."  Her jade green eyes widen as he goes on and on about the different cool things she could have for her chair.  "Uh.......I, uh....haven't....really....thought about it?"  Blink blink.

Now merely wet instead of sopping Sarnith scrapes his foot paws on the door jams to get rid of the clinging mud and says "Well's yer'sll need's der's figure's ed's ou's affore's I's ken's ged's er's all's der's way's done'd." Not noticing Ferdinand's reaction or the silent shriek of rage from the artist the hob takes the battered mess of a frond off of his head and absent mindedly stuffs it in a vest pocket with a wet squish. With a bit more mild dripping and unsetting of plastered on leaves and sticks the ferret doffs his pack with a clatter and starts unbinding it to check the wooden bits and tools he had brought along.

"Uh...."  Blisa watches him rifling through his backpack. "Erm, well, I would like some cushion on the seat and the back, in a deep red or forest green, or perhaps an dark orange..."  Ferdinand has cleaned up the worst of the puddle with his mop, and now he shoves it and the bucket back into the closet and shuts the door.  Sitting back down at his loom, he starts weaving again, leaving the vixen to figure it out what to do on her own.  Valerie is merely struggling for the words to say.  She's also failing.

Pulling out a few already rounded and curved bits of wood Sarnith says "I's 'as red'd an's green'ers, if yer's wan's an oranger's I'sll 'ave der's see's if der's a place'd 'ere in's der's Ferravale's dad's 'as's ed's." One of the bits seems to have gotten damp and the ferret shakes it off, spraying some more water about. Next come tools, mostly padded hammers and wooden pegs, when he gets that far though he stops, the batting that was going to make the cushion for the chair is sopping wet and audibly squishes when it gets poked. Shaking his head the hob adds "An's I'sll needs der's ged's dis 'ere by's der's fire's der's dry's fer's a bid's, so's, a high's backer'ds chair's wid's a sed's ah good's cross'd bid's fer's a climb'ins, was dad's all?"

Blisa blinks.  Ferdinand sighs as more water goes flying.  The Carpenter was obviously born in a barn and raised in a field!  Valerie has recovered enough to look back up, just in time to see the soaking wet cushion!  Barely suppressing a groan, she gestures towards the fire.  "Go right ahead."  The Chieftain coughs.  "Um, yeah, a chair that fits this desk that has a high seat and a ladder on the side.  Red cushions would be great."

A barn!? if only the hob had been so lucky! The field is closer to the mark though, he is a vermin after all. Tossing the batting next to the fire with a SPLOSH! Sarnith starts separating out the bits into different piles, curved bits here, a large chunk for the seat there, cross beams and legs in that pile. "I'sll ged's on ed's den's, don's mind's me." In what appears to be a spreading damp spot the ferret gets all of his parts and tools in order then stops and looks back to Blisa saying "Do yer's mind's if'ins I's 'as a look'd ad's yer's old's chair'd der's?"

The 3 Ferravalians watch in amazement as the Carpenter starts to empty his bag of tricks.  "You definitely came perpared," Ferdinand comments in a friendly tone.  Valerie, having finished her watercolour from earlier, pulls out another canvas and starts to paint THIS scene.  The other bodyguards might not believe her!  Blisa shakes herself slightly and gestures to the chaid she's currently using.  "Oh, no, I don't mind at all!  I needed a break from all that dumb paperwork anyway.  Small wonder Dad used to drink an ale with lunch every day...."  She sits in a corner, watching the Carpenter with growing curiosity.

~*To be continued...*~

Last edited by BlisaMarshmellow (2018-06-02 02:23:24 PM)

Board footer