Redwall MUCK Forum

Redwall MUCK is an interactive, multiplayer text game set in Brian Jacques' Redwall universe.

Visit RWMUCK.ORG for more info!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-01-04 04:34:55 PM

BlisaMarshmellow

A newt-comer to the Abbey (RWA log)

SCENE: Redwall Abbey's Entryway

CHARACTERS:  Shiska, a female newt.  DoraRose, a female mouse.  Various spoofs.

LOG:
It was a cold day out in Mossflower, snow still lay on the ground and there was a biting wind. It was a day for hiding inside in shelter and yet a group of merchants seemed to be braving the weather and dragging their cart towards the abbey though it was struggling a bit in the snow. As they were dragging it out of a ditch one of the group ran on ahead, the squirrel quickly reaching the gates "Hello! Little help!"

Redwall Abbey, the great beacon of security in Mossflower, is only made more beautiful by the snow.  Light shines warmly through the windows of the main building, visible from the road as a strong-looking female mouse opens the main gate.  Her fur is brown, and her eyes are sky-blue.  She is dressed in a black tunic, sweater, leggings, and boots, with a mottled green/brown/grey cloak over the whole ensemble.  Adjusting her red hat with one mittened paw, she grips the handle of her bastard sword hanging from her waist in its scabbard more tightly and looks over the squirrel's shoulder.  "Oh, of course.  Why are y'all even out in this weather?"  After making sure some guards were, well, guarding the gate, the Warrior heads out, tucking her orangs scarf more securely around her neck.  "Do you need any help getting your cart inside?"

The squirrel huff a light sign of relief at the warm welcome. There was no where in Mossflower quite so hospitable as the abbey. The squirrel turns back to the road, going to lead the way back to the cart "Yeah, might need a 'and with the cart but if y'got one of those healers handy we might need that too" he explains as starts to walk back "We found some lizard thin' half buried in a snow drift, looks beaten t'hell. Meself I reckon it's dead t'be honest, it's cold as ice but Slim swears he saw breathin' and I ain't got the heart t'tell him I think he's seein' things"

The mouse listens, then spins around and calls out to the guards, "Hey, can someone go get Angela?  We have a lizard out here!"  As she turns back around the pitter-patter of running feet can be heard in the Abbey as one of the guards dashes off towards the main building.  The mouse Warrior looks grim.  "A lizard thing, huh?  What was it doing, wandering around in this weather, I wonder?"  She stalks over to the cart and goes to grab the handle of the cart.  "Here, let me help.  Once we get the cart inside, I'll probably have to rush the lizard to the Infirmary.  I'm DoraRose, Gatekeeper of Redwall, by the way," she adds.

The squirrel can only shrug at the question "Only thing I could see it doin' was laying in a ditch, which I doubt it wanted to. It had a spear, might have been robbin' beasts on the road?" he shakes his head and seems to have no hope for the creature regardless. He gets behind the cart to start pushing as he introduces the gang "Name's Thorn, that's slim Jack" a mouse "and tall Jack" an otter "Lizard's 'ere" he flicks over the edge of a blanket on top of the cart quickly to show what is actually a one eyed, completely still newt.

DoraRose peers at the creature in the cart.  "Well, hopefully we'll be able to help it."  Nodding to each of them in turn, she then grabs the cart's handle and starts tugging it out of the ditch and towards the main gate.  "Pleased to meet all of you.  Once we get inside, I'll make sure a Novice will help you get to our guest rooms.  You're more than welcome to stay as long as you want."  She then falls silent, trying to conquer the stubborn cart.

The squirrel is quick to cover the newt lizard thing back up with the blanket and get to pushing again "Better chance that yer healers can do somethin' than anyone else" he says as the cart rolls free of the dirt and reluctantly starts moving again "Spot t'rest until the weather turns would be appreciated. We got a few wears t'sell and pay our way with. We know yer abbey don't charge but y'can call it a donation" the cart does try to get hung up on the slightest bump in the road but keeps moving until it's finally within reach of the abbey gates.

DoraRose stays silent until they finally get inside the Abbey.  "Well, you don't have to, but we appreciate any help we receive."  An elderly female mouse who looks remarkably similar to the Gatekeeper and is wearing clothes similar to the Warrior's (although she's wearing a green dress instead of black fighter clothes) is standing nearby with a male squirrel and a male albino otter, who are both wearing habits of Brothers of the Order and nice, warm-looking scarves, mittens, and hats.  The older mouse scowls.  "Where's the lizard beast?  The more time it stays out 'ere, the less likely it'll survive." 

The squirrel pulls the blanket out the way a bit again but he tries not to completely expose the creature to the elements "Right here, not sure if it's already too late for it though" it is hard to tell that the newt is still alive, she's cold to the touch and they'd have to look really closely to see she is breathing but like her heart beat it's at a very slow pace. She looks tribal, her clothes are roughly made, she's covered in symbolic tattoos and somehow has small pointy horns made out of stones. She's missing an eye and a finger, there's some deep wounds on her chest but nothing looks fresh, the wounds are all at least a few weeks old.

The elderly mouse, squirrel, and otter spring into action.  The otter unfolds a large quilt and goes to gently, firmly, and quickly wrap up the newt and carry her off towards the main Abbey building.  The mouse turns to the merchants.  "'Ow long 'as it been since y'found 'er?"  The squirrel goes to check the newt for any signs of life, any at all.  DoraRose silently closes the gates, letting the Healers do their thing.

The squirrel quickly glances at his fellow merchants "Err, a few hours I think? It was half covered in snow though, I think it had been there a while" the newt shows no sign of waking up as she's moved but there's a very faint, slow heartbeat. She still lives, barely.

The squirrel Healer looks grimly at the otter and the elderly mouse.  "The cellars?"  The other 2 Herbalists nod.  "Aye, if we 'eat 'er up too fast, she could be permanently injured.  C'mon,"  the old mouse leads the way to the main Abbey building, and the other 2 follow.  DoraRose gestures for a Novice to come over.  "Do you need help getting your wares inside, or would you rather leave them in the cart?  And you can keep your cart in the orchards during your stay here."

The squirrel merchant just looks surprised that the lizard thing is even still alive. He receives a little nudge from Slim Jack the mouse who's grinning like a loon just for the possibility it might live "Told y'". Thorn the squirrel just shakes his head "We'll leave 'em to it then" he glances back at Dora "Erm. I think we'll be alright with the cart as it is for now, I say we warm up first, emptyin' it can wait"

DoraRose smiles at the guests.  "This way, then!  There shoudl be some tea to be had, and perhaps even some scones or something."  She waves for them to follow her and heads to the Abbey building.  Tea time actually starts soon, so the merchants will get a little feast in delightful warmth, with the promise of scrumptios supper later.

~*END*~

Thanks for reading!

Board footer