Redwall MUCK Forum

Redwall MUCK is an interactive, multiplayer text game set in Brian Jacques' Redwall universe.

Visit RWMUCK.ORG for more info!

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-12-21 05:07:41 PM

BlisaMarshmellow

Torry is brave even though he doesn't have to be (RW RP)

SCENE: Redwall Abbey's Great Hall

CHARACTERS: Torry, a male squirrel.  DoraRose, a female mouse.

LOG:
Torry was still a whirlwind of emotions after those bombshells called "bad news" hit him yesterday. Even though he'd put on a brave face for the few he'd spoken to, he remained in a mostly catatonic, heroic BSOD state when no one else was looking, or around. He hadn't slept, either; today, he was sitting at a table with a plate of untouched food in front of him, looking down at it with a forlorn expression. Sad, sad squirrel.

DoraRose is a sad, sad mouse because her husband was murdered a month ago, aso as she enters the Hall, the squirrel is suddenly in good company. Completely oblivious to her surroundings, she crosses the Hall, heading towards the stairs with her arms crossed and head down...and trips over one of the legs of the squirrel's chair. Hollering, she crashes to the floor!

Torry was quickly snapped out of his vacant staring into his plate upon having someone trip over his chair - he let out a yelp of surprise of his own, flailing like mad as he came falling over as well! At least the embarrassment was equal!

DoraRose looks over at the squirrel, biting her lip.  "I'm sorry!  Are....are you okay?"  She's trying to sit up now while simultaneously shoving the chair away.  She's a Warrior, not a dancer or anything like that, so it looks much more awkward than....well, no, she's struggling.  It's all awkward.

Torry gives a little groan, getting up onto his knees. Rubbing one of his arms gently; a bit of a bad landing. He wasn't a cat, or anything; he couldn't land gracefully! "I'm fine, ma'am..." he says, letting his arm go. That landing almost ripped the sleeve off of the remains of that habit... "Are you?"

DoraRose has managed to wrangle the chair out of the way and is now checking her arms and legs, too, running a paw over them.  "Yes, I think so, thank you."  Standing, she offers him a paw to help him up.  "I say, are you new here?  I'm DoraRose Strongheart, Gatekeeper.  I must've been off-duty when you arrived."  She smiles a little, but still looks sad.

Torry takes her paw, getting to his feet. Such a mess - he was probably going to get all cleaned up after today. Maybe. Hard to tell with dibbuns. "I... Um." he pauses, looking unsure... "...I was, a long time ago. I just got back..." he says. He looked sad, himself... "I kinda... Went 'adventuring', and got lost... I only just found my way back yesterday..."

DoraRose raises an eyebrow slightly and pulls the squirrel's chair back over.  Gesturing for him to sit, she sits in the next chair over.  "Well, that must've been kind of frightening," she says softly.  "Wanna talk?"

Torry gives the mouse a little smile, moving to sit back down. At last, he started to nibble on that food he'd not touched. "It was... I lived off of berries, grass..." he says, sighing softly. "I guess I learned how to live off the land, at least..."

DoraRose nods slowly.  She traces the grain of the wood in the table with a fingertip.  Keeping her gaze on the squirrel's face, she says, "Aye, that's always a good skill to have.  But times by yourself aren't always the nicest way to learn it."  Her facial expression is that of concern and attentiveness.

Torry does his best to put on that brave face he'd worn half his time back, and gives her a smile. A half-hearted one, but it was still a smile. "Well... Believe me - I'm not going adventuring ever again. No way, no how." But everyone knows that's not true - you live in Redwall, adventure comes to you!

DoraRose smiles in almost a motherly fashion at the young squirrel.  "Well, this is Redwall, and hopefully we won't have another lunatic try to take over anytime soon, so you should be free from adventure for a while."  She looks at the wood of the table, continuing to trace the grain with a finger.  "I left my first home when I wasn't much older than you are now.  I was chasing after the fox that had killed my sister."  She sighs, and her paw rests on the tabletop, still, with the fingers spread out and the palm flat against the solid oak surface.  She had definitely noticed that his smile was half-hearted, and she's trying to let him know that he doesn't have to put on the brave face when she's around.  "So I can understand how scary it can be to be out adventuring around, and how huge the relief is when you stumble across Redwall."  She smiles slightly.

Torry seemed to either not notice that he didn't have to act brave, or he was just doing it anyways in a sense of dibbun bravado. "It was nice to get back... But... Everything's so different now." That, however, got the smile to go away. He looked oddly serious for someone his age. "So many I used to know are... well... Gone. Even papa Oak is..." he trails off, wiping his eyes off on one of his habit sleeves with a little sniffle. "I've only seen one beast I knew back then - Oz..."

DoraRose goes to hold the young one's paw.  "I'm sorry."  She doesn't say much else, but her face says that she, at some level, does understand.  How deep that level is, however, is hidden from the squirrel.  "That's so hard," she ends up adding in a whisper.

Torry looks to her paw for a moment, then back up to her. He smiled again, albeit this time, a more sincere one. "I guess that's my punishment for running away." he says. "For six whole years, anyhow... I guess I have to start over. I'll have to start going to classes again..." That little tidbit made him wince. "Erm... Actually, I think I have too much of a tummy ache to go to class."

DoraRose noticed the wince, alright. Looking at the plate of food, she says, "Normal Redwall food might be a bit too rich for you. How 'bout some mint tea and oatmeal? If you're still hungry, of course." She returns his smile. Hey, she's a mom and wants to help adopt al the little orphan peoples. This is like her job, almost.   

Torry gives her a little smile at that once again, and actually blushes just a little bit. How he pulled the wool over her eyes on that was beyond him. "N-no, no, it's fine. This is what I ate yesterday."

DoraRose is a Warrior, not a Healer. That's how he did it. Shrugging, she stands and goes to ruffle his ears. "Well, then, maybe you're tummy's upset 'cause you need to eat. I was on my way to try and find Oz, actually. I can talk to him about easing you in to the classes, if you would rather not talk to him about it yourself." You're not going to get out of classes that easily, buster!

Torry rubs his head a moment with a bashful grin. "Ahah... Ah, um... It's fine, miss... Um..." he trails off. How does he ask for a name without sounding rude...?

The mouse smiles. He must've missed her name earlier. "DoraRose. And what's your name, hon?" She forgot to ask earlier.   

Torry smiles a little bit. "Torry..." Simple response.   

DoraRose smiles. "Well, it's nice to meet you, Torry." She extends a paw so as to shake his. "I actually have to go now; I'm sorry. But I'll search you out later. Come sit with me at dinner, if you'd like." Waving and smiling, she walks on to the stairs. It's Redwall, what's the worst that could happen to him? 

Torry smiles a little more, and takes her paw, shaking lightly. Kind of a weak shake, but he was a dibbun. Dibbuns weren't known for breaking your wrist in a handshake! "Sounds nice. I'll see you then!"

~*END*~

Thanks for reading!

#2 2018-01-11 07:22:17 AM

Henry the Poet

Re: Torry is brave even though he doesn't have to be (RW RP)

This was a great log... I have nothing else to contribute.

"Oh, dainty triolet! Oh, fragrant violet!
Oh, gentle heigho-let (or little sigh)
On sweet urbanity, though mere inanity, to touch their vanity we will rely!"
-Chorus. "P'raps If You Address The Lady Most Politely." By Gilbert&Sullivan. Princess Ida.

#3 2018-01-11 02:15:15 PM

BlisaMarshmellow

Re: Torry is brave even though he doesn't have to be (RW RP)

Oh, thanks, Henry!  I'm glad you enjoyed it.  And if you ever want to comment more but aren't sure what to say, you can be random.  I like random things xD

Board footer