Redwall MUCK Forum

Redwall MUCK is an interactive, multiplayer text game set in Brian Jacques' Redwall universe.

Visit RWMUCK.ORG for more info!

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-01-26 07:25:01 PM

oz

Mission To Halyard- LP LOG

It has been quite a few days since the hurricane, the mountain has slowly been picking itself up, sorting out the flooding in the basement, working to repair damage where the few windows broke open. Things are hectic and busy and everyone has been working hard.

Quinten however has just summoned Zolomon, Terrence, and Elbio to his office, the sandy furred General sitting behind his desk as he reads through a pile of papers scattered about it. His door is open so people can walk in when they arrive and he is just in his shirt, his coat hanging on a hook on the wall. The storm left a bit of a mess but there is more work to be done and he has orders to hand out from the Badger Lord.

Zolomon walks in slowly, he is in his uniform, he did a running drill with some privates but he is no where close to his usual joking around self, he's rather on the quiet side, heck he grumbled at a slow private and he normally doesn't do that so the slow runner did an extra lap. He now walks into the office, a simple salute"Sur". He says politely.

Elbio comes soon afterward and is a little nervous as this is the highest-ranking hare wanting to talk and he is unsure why as he goes over things in his mind, he's been doing his training very well, but he is here none the less to see what is needed to be done.

Terrence had had a rough time of it the past few days - as much as the mountain has had. Besides overseeing the privates and recruits and making sure a particularly brave (well, foolish) trio of hares didn't go try swimming in the flooded sections, his main uniform tunic had been somewhat damaged in the storm. Since then he had made do with simple and somewhat rough patches and stitches to his coat, though, after getting the summons from the general, the buck was put in a flurry of movements about the mountain as he could not remember if he put his spare military tunic in the storage that was flooded or just buried it under his civilian clothes in his trunk. Thankfully, it was the latter, and so with a coat that while clean and patches smelled of mothballs and were slightly too big in the waist for the sergeant, Terrence makes his way to the general, pausing just before the doorway to suck in a breath. He steps in, gives a sharp salute with a "Sah!" And stand at attention with the other two young bucks.

Quinten looks up once the three young officers are before him and leans back in his chair, setting his quill pen on its stand. "Ah good you are here, I have a mission and I need a team of hares I can trust. With everything, a bit topsy turvy here I have agreed with his Lordship that we can respond to the request we received and your patrols are the ones I am sending."

The general picks up a piece of paper, "As some of you may have heard the docks at Halyard have collapsed, they can't land food properly and the town is in trouble," He lifted his eyes to look over his glasses at the trio of young hares, "As such we are sending a relief mission to Halyard, food, supplies, and other material."

Turning to Elbio, "His lordship is placing you in charge of this mission Ensign, your orders are simple, take Terrence and Zolomon's patrols, supply the foodstuffs as requested and assist the town leadership in repairs to the docks. We have been granted the use of the Harbourmaster's building, it's old and somewhat flooded but it will be serviceable. You are also to repair and retrofit the building for our use, his Lordship is in discussions with the Halyard council to arrange a permanent Long Patrol presence in the town at their request."

"Any questions?"

Zolomon listens to all that is said, a small frown at some of the damage mentioned. He shakes his head at the any questions. Right now he seems to have no questions, just doing what is needed.

Elbio looks surprised at being in charge and nods "Y..yes sur, I will do my best sur."First part he decides is getting to know his way around the village once he gets there as this is gonna be his first trip there since he has been in the patrol
, he almost went before the storm and had decided not to.

There's a brief and ever so slight twitch of his eyes towards the left at Elbio and Zolomon, but he quickly returns to staring straight ahead. "No, sah." A beat. "Well, actually - permission to make a request, sah?"

Rufus pokes his head into the room, he has spent the past few weeks walking around the mountain, he has been outside once or twice so far and just today is free of that annoying splint, but he has yet to fly anywhere.

Quinten keeps his eyes on all three of the hares, he doesn't miss much, he notes Elbio's surprise and Terrence's glance at the other two.

"Please do Elbio, if you wish to take up the permanent position as his Lordship's Ambassador to Abbot Benar and Redwall Abbey we need to see you can command. The Long Patrol resident hare at the abbey will form a part of the Abbot's leadership. Whether it be under the Champion or another member of his staff they will expect you to not just live in the abbey and eat all their delicious food, but take part in the day to day running and security of the abbey."

He shakes his head, "Consider this part of your training and you outrank both Terrence and Zolomon, I can't spare a Lieutenant for this right now. Not with things still, a bit of a mess here so consider this a chance to prove yourself it should be simple enough of a job. In time I expect we'll establish a full patrol in Halyard at all times to help maintain peace as the town has asked, but for now your teams will do."

The hare inclines his ears toward Rufus as he spots the bird peeking inside, "Sir Rufus, good day, do come inside," he then turns to Terrence, "What is your request Sergeant?"

Zolomon sighs a bit when Redwall is mentioned but otherwise is not really speaking. He glances at Terrence to see what he has to say.

Elbio nods "Leadership...yes."He is still learning and has been threw a lot of training from a couple different higher-ups in the patrol, he has read a lot of history and books on leadership and training, he has even helped train a group of 4 recruits who are...well..they are doing better than they were and seem to better respect the patrol now as before they were some trouble makers in the patrol.

"Thank you, sah." Terrence bows his head, before beginning. "Concerning PVT. Do- Kasimir," The sergeant corrects himself, "He grew up in the north in a harbah, and he certainly has carpentry skills and knows his way around the dockwork. These would be very useful to us, and he is technically in the regiment." He looks down at his feet, passing for a moment. "Except the problem is that since the swamps fou'h seasons ago, he has acted as his own agent if it were, and while I would count him as a friend myself I cannot say he fully is aware of how his abnormal behavio'h - particularly hanging around in the catacombs by himself in the dark - has such an effect on his fellow hares. Plus, I think he'd be loath to leave the mountain now with so much work here... If I may, would it be possible fo'h you, sah, o'h even his Lordship speak with him to try and impress upon him it's time to return to normal patrol life, sah?"

Rufus walks the rest of the way inside "Bunnies look busy as always...maybe Rufus help somehow too ya?"

Quinten inclines his head toward Rufus, "Your help is always welcome Sir Rufus, these hares are off to help Halyard I am sure your assistance would be welcome."

The general then frowns, "Yes Private Kasimir has been... acting peculiar of late. I had been willing to let it continue and hope he came back to us on his own but it has been too long and we need him," The hare picks up a pen and pulls some parchment over and starts to write. "I will draft a message to his Lordship, I think if anyone can get through to him it'll be Lord Ciocan, I have not had much luck and we could well use his carpentry skills in Halyard."

Glancing up he considers Terrence for a moment then pulls over another book, opens the file and makes a note then shuts, "Well Elbio all the equipment and supplies you need are being gathered. I suggest you talk to your Sergeants here and work together as a team," He nods to a door, "You can use my meeting room it has a map of Halyard."

Zolomon looks over at Rufus and finally speaks a bit more "Your...flying again Rufus?" Simple tone,  yeah Terrence and Elbio get to deal with Zolomon not being himself, hopefully, after a couple of days he can just busy himself and be less...well quiet and moody right now.

Elbio nods "A map will be very helpful sur."He frowns at Zolomon as he is unsure what to say and clears his throat as he looks at him "Sargeant? You will be ok on this mission right? I need you to be at your best"

rUFUS SHRUGS "kIND OF..FLY, TRY SOON OKAY"

"Thank you, sah." His piece said Terrence falls silent for a moment, even with the new presence of the bird. He casts another sideways glance towards his left, now mainly focus on Zolomon. "When should we be ready to depart, sah?"

Rufus stays off to the side to listen to how he can help and where to help.

Quinten sets his pen back down, "As soon as you have everything prepared," the hare looks around, "You will be reporting to Major Varus, if you have any further questions or queries direct them toward him. He has overall operational charge of this whilst you are in the field. I am sure if you need any more information or advice he can offer it."

Zolomon nods, he looks at Elbio and speaks "I..will be..."He clears his throat "I can do my duties just fine. Just don't expect me to...cheer anyone up"He frowns, yeah he needs the cheering up.

There is a sudden, sharp rap of knuckles against Quinten's office door, and a pointed "AHEM" from the other side

Elbio studies Zolomon and then frowns, a nod as he just hopes things won't be a problem, he then looks towards the doorway.

As Terrence has already been at attention for some time, there is little need beyond a "Sah" as the major enters. However, there is a visible frown at his fellow sergeant's words.

Quinten closes the folder in front of him, "Major Varus, do come in," The older hare said with a motion, "I've given these three his Lordship's instructions and the map we have of Halyard is laid out in the map-room," He nods to the door to said room, "I'll hand on over to you and head down to check the food supplies are being prepared"

Varus pushes the door open, and steps into the office. "Yes, quite. Thank you, Quinten." He nods his head respectfully. "So, you lot. Y' know yahr jobs, eh wot. Any questions?"

Zolomon quietly shakes his head, he has no questions right now.

Elbio gives a salute, "I think I got it all sur" He hopes so anyway as this will be a little hard but he will do his best.

"No, sah." As Terrence's request had already been addressed by the general there is little left for him to say, beyond maybe private words with Zolomon. But that could wait. So he stays, standing at ease as he has been throughout the briefing.

Varus nods, with a harrump. "Right, then... We'll go check th' map, shall we? I have a vested interest in Halyahd, I'll 'ave y' know. Got a house there. Been in mah fam'ly for bloody generations. I'm 'opin' it didn't get bloomin' blown away, wot. Come..." He opens the door to the map room.

Quinten stands up and puts on his jacket, "Let me know if you need anything else Major, I will be on the ground floor in the main storage room." He nods to everyone else and heads on out. 

Zolomon makes his way into the map room, he looks around as he has never been here before, he stays alert and listening.

Elbio follows the hares and goes to look at the map, studying it and hmms "Bigger than thought, I will admit not been to Halyard yet so being one of the hares in charge of a mission will be...interesting"

Terrence knows a bit /too/ well the streets of Halyard, especially what alleyways to avoid considering where he had gotten shanked. He follows the major and now-commanding-officer Elbio at a slight pace behind, and he stands next to Zolomon when they reach the room. "One hell of a place to have a home, eh majah, sah?" He smiles, rubbing his old scar. "Though -permission to speak on a more serious and official note, sah."

Varus eyes Terrence for a moment. "There was a time when Halyahd was a much safah place, mah lad. We o' th' Long Patrol 'ad a full, official presence there, an' pirates an' othah scum were kept to an absolute minimum." He pauses, for effect, before continuing, " That was many, many long seasons ago now, back when I was still a leveret mahself. We've gradually pulled outta Halyahd ovah time, an' look at it now." He looks down at the map, and circles the location of the Halyard Tavern with his fingertip. "Th' Tavahrn was run by a retired Patrollah, too. She didn't take any guff from any beast, eithah."

Zolomon remains standing, arms folded and silent right now, but he is listening to the others and paying attention.

Elbio says, "Maybe it can be made safe again, but it will...well, take a while and thar is making that, well base that was mentioned"

Terrence nods to Elbio. "My thoughts exactly, ensign." He walks forward, tapping the dock area. "Fah too often these past seasons since Redwall's siege has this place been a stopping point fo'h marauders and worse, as I'm certain we all know, and any action we've taken as the Long Patrol has met some resistance - whethah it be from the towns-beasts themselves o'h the afore mentioned pirates and slavahs. I'm hoping that in addition to finding thei'h dock we can make sure it's nevah used by such..." He pauses, looking for the right word, "Unsavory creatures. O'h at least unappealing fo'h them. Eithah way, I would suggest standing ordahs fo'h all hares to be sent to Halyard be to stick to groups of at least fou'h, and to nevah go off by oneself."

Varus nods, listening to Terrence's suggestions. The younger buck has a good head on his shoulders. "Very good idea," he says, nodding. "At least until we get th' streets cleaned up again, eh wot. I'm lookin' forwahd to a day when Halyahd is no longah a wretched 'ive o' scum an' villainy."

Zolomon takes a deep breath"Slavers are scum, so are murderers.....all need...full of arrows, fer sure de one Silverwing mentioned." He takes a few calming breaths, he could easily have gone off, and alone too, but he was ordered not to and he will respect that order. He mutters then speaks "Patrol docks....once fixed.."

Elbio nods, he frowns at Zolomon and looks worried, he speaks "Patrolling could help, make sure ships only have supplies needed, food and goods..nothing else." He adds "We can and will keep a lookout for trouble and...slavers too, we always do."

Still, sah," Terrence says to both Varus and Elbio, "The problem with Halyard is how fa'h away it is. It's just not practical to keep it safe when it takes nearly half a day to get up there. Perhaps this harbah mastah's building," He points to a pot by the docks, "Which if I remembah correctly is here, will serve as a good stopping and resting point fo'h hares while we use it, which I believe was what the general was implying - aftah we fix it, of bloody course."

Varus nods then point to another spot on the map. "Well, Terrence, we used t' have a garrison right 'ere, in th' middle o' Halyahd, but tha' was abandoned seasons ago now. This othah post at th' dock will be a good makeshift post."

Elbio listens carefully as they go over a plan, and makes a mental note to find who they need to talk to in Halyard

Zolomon walks closer to them and looks at the map, he has been around Halyard, well most of it anyway."I should...see if we can get Silverwing to bring us a desc of the cat she mentioned, a female cat..so we can also be on the lookout for her if she comes to town for wot ever reason"

Terrence nods. "Still, I can't help but feel that old garrison may have become a nest of all the worst things Halyard has to offah..." The sergeant steps back away from the map. "As fo'h ou'h numbah to go, between my own and Zolomon's patrols I believe we can spare thirty to forty hares in total, which will be more than enough fo'h the village. As the positions have yet to be filled in my patrol, lance-corporal Greenhill will be acting as one of my corporals as she knows the town bettah than me, and if Dom comes, he can act as my second. Perhaps they'll both earn the pai'h of chevrons soon."

Elbio nods, he still looks at Zolomon as if debating on speaking to him more before they head off.

Varus nods his head, listening. "I'll go along, lend mah expertise, but I can't stay there full-time. I still 'ave th' Mountain 'n' Western Shore t' manage, as y' well know, wot. So I'll offah whatevah I can."

Terrence raises a surprised eyebrow at the major. "You will, sah? But won't colonel Locke need you here to help captain Greg with al the bloody cleaning up downstairs?" He allows himself a chuckle, "Oh well, can't blame you fo'h wanting to escape like we get to. Well, gentle hares, if I might be dismissed sah I should go speak to the quartermastah to get the supplies in ordah, as we can't leave till we know what to bring eh!" Varus nods. "That's why I said I can't supahvise you lot full time." He raises a paw. "Yahr all dismissed, for now. Get yahrselves ready t' move out tomorrah."

Elbio nods"Likely...morning so be ready"He frowns "Also..Zolomon, you want to chat before then."He is worried and wants less worry.

Zolomon frowns "No..."He leaves it at that as he is clearly not in a chatting mood"I will be ready to go in the morning...sur" He then walks off.

Terrence watches his fellow sergeant go. "Sah!" He salutes as he is dismissed, then turns on his heel to go prepare for the trip. He'd have to have a word with Zolomon at some point soon, he fears.

I play:
Brother Gorvenalus-Redwall Abbey Recorder,  Private Cole,a runner, of the Long Patrol
Oz( Yes named after Papa Oz) young adult and Novice in Redwall.

Board footer