Redwall MUCK Forum

Redwall MUCK is an interactive, multiplayer text game set in Brian Jacques' Redwall universe.

Visit RWMUCK.ORG for more info!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-01-12 04:16:46 PM

aeysin
Administrator
Website

RWMUCK.ORG to become official Redwall MUCK site!

Howdy, friends!

So the old site at rwmuck.limitless.org/rwmuck is unfixably broken, and will soon be taken offline. Don't freak, though.

Over the last couple of months Riverdale and I have worked to import all the content from the broken site into a wiki located at rwmuck.org.

Wiki format can be intimidating, but it's not so bad once ya' learn the fundamentals--much like a MUCK! The format is flexible and stable and can house any sort of content y'all can dream up: logs, images, info about groups or locations, command help, character profiles, etc. 

I'm throwing around the idea of a group meeting hosted on the MUCK to walk folks through the basics. If y'all have an interest in that, let me know and we'll figure out a date and time that works.

But, to get everybody started:

You will need to make an account on the wiki to edit articles.

1) Almost all content on a wiki is community owned and managed.
    This means that users can fix outdated help articles, or add extra info when they see fit. This is really cool, because nothing is left "abandoned" if a player moves on. The active community makes sure content remains relevant and useful. Notice the "Edit" tabs on articles once you are signed in as a user.

2) Search box is your friend!
    If you're not sure how to locate an article, head for the search box. You can search for a character's name to find content featuring that character; or search for terms like "riverdale hotroot redwall abbey" or "building help" if you're looking for something specific.

3) It's easy to create content.
    If you type something into the box (such as a log title) that is not found on the wiki, search will ask if you'd like to "Create the page". By clicking that red link, you will be taken to an editor to create an article with that title.

The "Random Page" link on the sidebar is also fun if ya' want to aimlessly poke around.

At some point I will host a static archive of the Limitless site for nostalgia's sake, but right now I'd like to make an active push to move content posting to the wiki... i.e., logs, stories, artwork. It will be much easier to keep it organized there. We'll continue to use this forum for event planning, help questions, and day to day chat.

And, as always, I am here to help if you get stuck! ^_^

#2 2018-01-12 04:25:38 PM

aeysin
Administrator
Website

Re: RWMUCK.ORG to become official Redwall MUCK site!

PS: To find your content from the Limitless site, search for something you remember posting. The bottom of the page will have a section called "Categories", and the first link will be a category built from your username on the old site. big_smile

#3 2018-01-12 05:24:59 PM

oz

So no more posted here? I did, least think, made account on that wiki....Oz on there too

I play:
Brother Gorvenalus-Redwall Abbey Recorder,  Private Cole,a runner, of the Long Patrol
Oz( Yes named after Papa Oz) young adult and Novice in Redwall.

#4 2018-01-12 05:54:52 PM

aeysin
Administrator
Website

It'd be cool if we could move log posting and art and such to the wiki, 'cause it's a lot better for organization than a forum. I don't mind if folks continue to post those things here until they feel like they've got the hang of the wiki, though. Trying to make the transition easy.

Here's a link to things you posted to the Limitless site, Oz! big_smile http://www.rwmuck.org/wiki/Category:Oz

Sadly some of the formatting got wonky when we transferred from the old site to this one. But fixing format problems on old posts is a good way to practice using the wiki.

There's two edit tabs in the top right. "Edit" goes to a visual editor with buttons and dropdown menus for format choices, but it can be a bit clunky. "Edit source" is a markup editor, does the same thing... except you use code instead of buttons to style your page.

A good bit of code to learn: [[Category:YourCategoryHere]] 

So if you add [[Category:Logs About Soup]] or [[Category:Aeysin]] to the bottom of the article you are editing, it will be filed in a category containing others with that tag. Can be anything and helps to organize and tie everything together.

#5 2018-01-12 07:44:20 PM

oz

Some others may of posted....don't know.... May take time to get use to posting in wiki....maybe it there is a log of netting that be good as my computer crashed and working on getting a new one and there has been death in family dealing with also...real life been annoying.

Last edited by oz (2018-01-12 07:45:03 PM)

I play:
Brother Gorvenalus-Redwall Abbey Recorder,  Private Cole,a runner, of the Long Patrol
Oz( Yes named after Papa Oz) young adult and Novice in Redwall.

#6 2018-01-13 01:53:23 PM

BlisaMarshmellow

So.....

.....I'm incredibly confused.  Does this mean we need to all join the Wiki?  Will things we've posted here be transferred over there?  Do I have to learn coding (and does anybody have any idea how much that idea makes me feel stabby)?  Is there a way to read on the Wiki the comments to all the Limitless website posts we did?  I'm looking at the Category for "DoraRose and Friends" and it says, "The following 200 pages are in this category, out of 582 total."  Does that mean I did 582 things on the website and each page has 200 or so categories?

BLARGH, computers and the internet are so confusing....

EDIT: (Also, could you please put the link to the radio back in the desc thing at the top of this website?  I really need the radio and I use library computers so I don't have it in my favourites thingy and I don't have the address memorized sad )

Last edited by BlisaMarshmellow (2018-01-13 01:55:04 PM)

#7 2018-01-13 02:34:16 PM

aeysin
Administrator
Website

No worries, we'll all get through this together! cool

Going to tackle this one part at a time:

Blisa wrote:

Does this mean we need to all join the Wiki?

If you want to contribute to or edit things on the wiki, you will need to make an account there.

Blisa wrote:

Will things we've posted here be transferred over there?

The logs posted here will be transferred to the wiki at some point, yup. Not sure of the time frame on that.

Blisa wrote:

Do I have to learn coding?

Not really. Learning a bit of markup (like when to put certain things in [[brackets]]) will help to organize your pages, though. It's probably easier to pick up than day to day MUCK commands.

Blisa wrote:

Is there a way to read on the Wiki the comments to all the Limitless website posts we did?

The archive of the Limitless site will have the comments, but as of right now the wiki does not.

Blisa wrote:

I'm looking at the Category for "DoraRose and Friends" and it says, "The following 200 pages are in this category, out of 582 total."  Does that mean I did 582 things on the website and each page has 200 or so categories?

That means 200 of 582 articles in 1 category, DoraRose and Friends, are being displayed. So, yup, you posted 582 times to the Limitless site. There's a link to the next page of results at the bottom.

Blisa wrote:

Also, could you please put the link to the radio back in the desc thing at the top of this website?

It's still there. Third link on the red navigation bar. I should make those larger so they're easier to see.

#8 2018-01-13 02:39:01 PM

aeysin
Administrator
Website

Oz, I am sorry for your loss. sad

There is no rush on all of this. Everybody will have plenty of time to adjust and learn, so no need to stress.

#9 2018-01-13 03:01:04 PM

BlisaMarshmellow

BAH!  Oh, yeah, I never use that link on the bar thing, so I totally missed it xD

Thanks for answering my questions!  I'll explore the Wiki site as a guest for a while to try and get the hang of navigation over there.  And thanks -- I'm not stressing anymore.  I just had to remind myself that this change may not be bad (I have an anxiety disorder, so I tend to overreact.  Don't mind me tongue )

Thanks for making the Wiki, BTW; it'll be a big help, I can tell.  It'll be good to have a more permanent site smile

#10 2018-01-19 11:09:14 AM

Karth Riverbark

Hmms
I will have to look into it for now will post logs here

My spoofs:Atvi...and Alts=
Ewan Benjamin Delaney Tanner Mosswell Jahveri- LP Hare Fighter/Private and Residential Redwall Abbey Hare
Dearil-Archer/Fighter/Assassin in Blackrose

#11 2018-01-25 02:11:47 PM

BlisaMarshmellow

Um, what do you mean by the archive of the Limitless site?  Does that website have a back-up thing so even though it's being deleted, we'll still be able to read stuff from it?  Also, I have a concern about the editability of the stuff on the Wiki.  There ahs been a lot of OOC drama between players over the years, and I'm worried that someone might go on some of the posts and change things to make someone look bad.  Is there a place where we can see the originals and compare them to what's on the Wiki?

#12 2018-01-25 02:14:23 PM

LeeJ

I think this forum ought to stay up as it's really useful for planning rp and such.

Characters: Lee, Lacota, Thomas, William, Adrian, Varus, Abel

#13 2018-01-25 05:08:23 PM

aeysin
Administrator
Website

Lee, no worries! This forum isn't going anywhere. So, right... continue to use it to plan and chat about things.

The wiki is meant to help organize help documents, logs, etc. The sort of things that would have been filed as a "book" or pages on the old site, because a forum doesn't have that sort of functionality.

#14 2018-01-25 05:24:06 PM

aeysin
Administrator
Website

Blisa wrote:

Um, what do you mean by the archive of the Limitless site?  Does that website have a back-up thing so even though it's being deleted, we'll still be able to read stuff from it?

Exactly! I worked on it the other night. Go to rwmuck.org/archive to view. It's a "static" copy of the site, so you cannot log in or change anything. But you can browse the content. It'll look like you're logged in as Aeysin, because that was the account I used to scrape the site. XD 

Blisa wrote:

Is there a place where we can see the originals and compare them to what's on the Wiki?

Yep. While a wiki does allow editing of almost any article, it is very closely tracked. Malicious changes can be reverted very easily. Next to the Edit tabs, there is a tab called View History. You will see every version of the article since it was created (or imported), and an option to rollback any changes to a previous version. There is also a Discussion tab on each article, where people can comment on or talk about changes they have made to it.

If for any reason you believe "bad" changes are being made to articles--vandalism or somebody being mean for no reason--let me know and I will deal with it.

#15 2018-01-25 08:08:22 PM

LeeJ

So my posts will still be archived indefinitely?

Characters: Lee, Lacota, Thomas, William, Adrian, Varus, Abel

#16 2018-01-26 11:57:03 AM

aeysin
Administrator
Website

That's the idea, Lee.

#17 2018-02-01 01:22:32 PM

BlisaMarshmellow

Perfect, thanks!  That relieves all of my worries about this.

Now if only I could find so easy a solution to my RL worries, all would be well in my world tongue

Thanks for doing this; it's really thoughtful and important, and shows that you have great dedication.  <3

Board footer