Redwall MUCK Forum

Redwall MUCK is an interactive, multiplayer text game set in Brian Jacques' Redwall universe.

Visit RWMUCK.ORG for more info!

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-01-07 03:02:37 PM

BlisaMarshmellow

Of princessess and fire lizards...... (A Redwall log)

Scene: Cavern Hole in Redwall Abbey

Characters: LilyMoore, a female mouse.  Zarok the Smooth, a (good) monitor lizard.  A spoofed robin.

LOG:

LilyMoore is sitting by the fire of Cavern Hole, smiling slightly as she works on some mending for the Infirmary.  These blankets need to be rehemmed.  Swinging her legs, she listens as a little robin chitters at her, singing a sweet little song.  That's probably why she's smiling.

Zarok trots into the Cavern Hole and curls up next to his cousin, enjoying the warmth of the flames--a stark contrast to the (for him) deadly cold of the outside.  He grumbles something good-naturedly to himself and waves a silent hello to Lily.

LilyMoore looks up as the robin chirrups in alarm and flutters up onto the fireplace mantle from the arm of the mousemaid's chair.  "Oh, hi, Zarok.  How are you...other than needing warmth?"  She makes sure to not stab anybody with the needle.  Her stitches are small and neat, showing great skill; she's had a lot of practice.

Zarok ducks his head apologetically to the robin.  "I'z good," he says contently.  He glances at the sewing work that's going on and rumbles his approval.  "Lookssss good, Lil."  He inches a bit closer to the fire, eyes glazing over slightly in relaxation.

"Oh, thanks.  I've, uh, had lots of practice."  Lily refrains from mentioning that her mother and great-grandmother used it to punish her when she was bad.  So, yeah, she's had a LOT of practice, indeed.  "It must be tough, having no fur.  Blisa says that Basilisk hibernates most of the Winter."  She's trying to empathize with the lizard...and talk to someone.  Sewing is a tad boring when you have nothing to listen to.

"Ehhh," Zarok shrugs.  "Issss chilly, but at least I can get clean eazier.  I tried hibernating once." In a mock-ominous voice, he whispers, "It wassss awful."

LilyMoore giggles.  "I think it sounds boring.  What even are you supposed to do?"  Not stab yourself with needles, obviously.  But the mousemaid stabs herself with the needle anyway.  "Yowchie!"  Fortunately, it doesn't start to bleed.  Dropping the whole tangle of blanket, thread, and needle into her lap, the mouse sucks on her injured finger.

Zarok looks sympathetic for a lizard.  "You okies?"  His tongue flicks out, the lack of blood-scent confirming that Lily's finger isn't bleeding.  "I think ya jusssst zleep the whole time. I get bored."

LilyMoore takes her finger out of her mouth.  "Yeah, I'm okay.  It just hurts.  Man, I hate it when I do that...."  She picks up her work and starts sewing again.  "Wow, that's a lot of sleep.  It reminds me of a story about a princess that was cursed, and slept in tower for 100 years until her true love found her and kissed her, which woke her up.  I bet she never had to sleep again."

"ssss..." Zarok's tongue rattles out and in again as he thinks that one over.  "100 yearssss...long time.  Wait a sssec."  He holds up a claw. "If that wassss supposed t'be her true love, why were they born a century apart?  Who thought that wasss a good idea?!" He seems confused.

LilyMoore shrugs.  "I don't know.  He had to fight a dragon to save her, and he hadn't planned on kissing her until he saw just how beautiful she was.  Then he couldn't help it.  So maybe he was her true love because he was willing to die to save her."  Another shrug.  Who is she to question Fairy Tales?

Zarok nods slowly.  "Where'd you hear th'sssstory?"  He still doesn't seem satisfied with Lily's answer, completely, but he lets it slide.  "Dragonsss?" he asks eagerly. "What'd it look like?"

"I read it in a book from the library.  I liked it.  It had a couple of other stories in it, too."  Lily ties off the thread and puts the needle where it goes so she can safely fold the blanket.  "The dragon was actually the witch who cursed the princess.  She changed herself into a dragon.  She was as big as the Abbey, and looked kinda like a lizard with huge, bat-like wings.  And she could breathe fire!"  The mousemaid doesn't really seem that scared; more excited than anything."

Zarok is entranced, his face lighting up.  "My tribe used to say dragonsss were real. That they exisssted at the ends of the earth," he explains. "Maybe there'sss truth inssside that story sssomewhere."

LilyMoore looks at the lizard, excited.  I mean, what girl doesn't hope somewhere deep within her that Fairy Tales and Princess Stories are true?  "Wow....maybe they live in those.....fire mountains, like Salamandastron used to be!"  It makes sense that something that can BREATHE FIRE would live inside a volcano, right? Right.

"Perhapssss," Zarok agrees.  His eyes are shining brightly.  "We could asssk Dorroze.  She's been to Salamandassstron."  Saying the name makes him think of something else: "Sssalamanders were fire lizards in legend. Sssalamanda-stron!  That'sss where it got itss name."

LilyMoore has finished folding that blanket, and she smiles and claps her paws.  "Oh my goodness, you're right!  Zarok, you're a genius!"  She goes to hug him, then stuffs the blanket and sewing supplies in the basket.  Picking it up, she goes to grab the lizard's paw (claws? thingy) and says, "Let's go ask Momma right now!  She's helping in the kitchen today.  C'mon!"

Zarok returns the hug excitedly, smiling bashfully at being called a 'genius'.  He yelps, but allows himself to be pulled along, trotting easily to keep up with his cousin.

~*END*~

Last edited by BlisaMarshmellow (2017-01-07 03:13:51 PM)

Board footer