Redwall MUCK Forum

Redwall MUCK is an interactive, multiplayer text game set in Brian Jacques' Redwall universe.

Visit RWMUCK.ORG for more info!

You are not logged in.

#51 2020-11-28 05:53:33 PM

oz

Re: Long Patrol - Casual Scenes and Events

A request of Rufus to show what...awaits tongue....Zolomon for sure not going near him.....

https://youtu.be/t3xUuNB0Bz8

I play:
Brother Gorvenalus-Redwall Abbey Recorder,  Private Cole,a runner, of the Long Patrol
Oz( Yes named after Papa Oz) young adult and Novice in Redwall.

#52 2020-11-29 02:45:18 PM

BlisaMarshmellow

Salamandastron has never been described as being particularly tall, as far as I can remember.  On the MUCK, it has a ground floor, then 2 floors above that, then the crater on top, thus indicating that it is rather short (and seeing as how it's actually not a mountain but rather an extinct volcano, it can be as short or tall as it wants to be).  Additionally, in the books the front door is level with the beach, and the waves are described as lapping the base of the Mountain because it's base is on the same level with the sand.  Also, in Lord Brocktree the escape tunnel is partially flooded every high tide; therefore, a storm surge would completely flood the tunnel and enter Salamandastron, beginning in the underground spring (oof, that would completely ruin their only source of safe drinking water) and flooding the lowest levels (which are, for all intents and purposes, the below ground basement) from there.  So the basement levels being flooded makes only logical sense if we take these factors into consideration.  As I understand it, we were only talking about flooding the basement and possibly a little of the first (ground level) floor since the lowest levels are below ground level, as per the descriptions both in the books and on the MUCK. 

About the temperature.....I have no idea.  I'm not even going to pretend to understand that.

I would think the docks in Halyard would probably be partially or even completely destroyed.  Many weaker structures could be demolished. 

SAND IS GONNA GET BLOWN EVERYWHERE O-O

Felicity would point out that there may be Dibbuns on the ship, and no matter how stupid someone is, they deserve a chance to be rescued.  IDK about the middle ages, but in the 1800s, the Keepers of the Lighthouses actually had crews and if a ship was wrecked, it was their duty, no matter how cold or stormy it is, to row out into the storm on a boat (that I think sometimes had a rope attached to it) to rescue as many sailors as they could.  Many of these brave people died, but they believed it was worth it to try to save the sailors who had wrecked on the reefs.  Therefore, even though Terrence would ICly be correct, everyone arguing to save the sailors would be, too.

Poor Rufus....Ciocan probably has to rescue him. 

I apologize for how formal this is D:  This week has been really hard ;.;  I'm sorry if I hurt anyone.  I was only trying to make a counterargument, but I know I come across very bluntly, and so I apologize sad

I also got in my first accident in my first car yesterday, and I'm still kind of a mess from that sad

Last edited by BlisaMarshmellow (2020-11-29 02:51:06 PM)

#53 2020-11-29 03:02:40 PM

Log-A-Log

I would say the fresh water pool is safe

I play:  Xavier ( Log-A-log of GUOSIM) Elbio (Lt.,Archer, and Fighter in Long Patrol and RW Residential Hare)

#54 2020-11-29 03:31:30 PM

BlisaMarshmellow

Yeah, having that flood with salt water would be a literal disaster D:

We could have them close off the escape tunnel and then we wouldn't have to worry about the storm surge flooding the basement.

#55 2020-11-29 09:27:23 PM

oz

I think the pool for water is maybe slightly  higher....any flood I sAay misses the spring

I play:
Brother Gorvenalus-Redwall Abbey Recorder,  Private Cole,a runner, of the Long Patrol

#56 2020-11-29 10:20:12 PM

BlisaMarshmellow

but in lord brocktree, the tunnel the hares used to escape ungatt trunn was in the same room as the underground spring.  are we talking about a different escape tunnel than that one?

#57 2020-11-29 10:31:56 PM

Log-A-Log

I don't know....maybe it slippee... down? = Shrugs= And it's likely sealed now would think....right?

I play:  Xavier ( Log-A-log of GUOSIM) Elbio (Lt.,Archer, and Fighter in Long Patrol and RW Residential Hare)

#58 2020-11-30 12:43:41 PM

Elmef

The Mountain stores a lot of water in barrels

If the spring floods it would be a simple matter to clear out once the flooding recedes. I don't think that should be a factor to stop the flooding of the basement. It might some hard work and the hares might end up having to boil water for a few weeks to get rid of salt but the spring is fed from ground water and would be able to be cleared out with some hard work.

As for how tall the mountain is, the ground floor is level with the beach but in most of the books the Badger Lord is said to be able to look out from his window and survey the far horizons. So I think the mountain itself is pretty high. Especially as it can be seen from days away up and down the beach.

It's often in sight for several days before the various Redwallers or Hares travelling towards it reach it. The gaps between floors is probably quite large however. I don't think it flooding through the front door makes sense, the best and only real description of the front door in the books is a cave and then a ladder you have to climb up.

So flooding the basement escape tunnel makes the most sense to me.

As for the ship, who knows why they are out at sea in this weather?
Oh wait I do, you'll have to wait to find out.

Last edited by Elmef (2020-11-30 12:47:34 PM)

#59 2020-11-30 05:27:50 PM

BlisaMarshmellow

i guess they could do some sort of distillation process to collect the steam, which would be viable, safe drinking water.  good to know i was remembering the correct escape tunnel...

dagumit, elmef, why you gotta be so sneaky and secretive?? (i kid, i kid...mostly wink )

#60 2020-12-03 09:00:42 PM

Ol'random
Website

I'm been thinking a bit about what's been said about Salamandastron's height and in particular how high up the first floor is, and I wanted to add this: most mountains, hills, and especially volcanoes all have diameters that's at least more than twice their height (usually more).
Where am I going with this? even if the main gateway/entrance of Sala is on the beach does not mean the passageway leading into the mountain and the first floor is on the beach level and, in fact, if the entrance of Sala can get hit by waves/flood slightly, it makes the most sense that the passageway into the mountain would slope up somewhat to avoid the water splashing down a level plain, because even if it was dug by ancient hares/badgers long forgotten they'd still look at the sea right there and say "we should probably prepare if that ever changes in a mild storm or tide or something, just in case".

Okay, so the following is all a rough estimate: lets say Sala is around 500ft tall with a diameter of say 550 (way too short for my liking because that's not even what I'd call a tall hill but anyway XD), lets say the passageway would be around 250 ft long to give around a diameter of 50 feet to the central room around the main staircase at the center of the mountain. Now lets say the the rise is like 2 inches every 3 ft (which is a gentle slope (around 2 degrees whereas most walking slopes are around 4.8 degrees), but by the time it hits the first floor it would be around 12-14 feet up, which is around a story tall. And that's all being rather conservative with the estimation - if Sala was more than 1000 ft tall the height of the first floor could easily be 50 ft above the beach, if the main passageway into the mountain is sloped upwards. i don't know what made me do the math besides morbid curiosity but i did it.
Also here's a rather inaccurate cut-away map considering what we've been talking about that also has an exaggerated verticality I made of Sala if anyone's interested:
Sala-Verical-Map-Copy.png
i'll probably redo it someday if i have the time

The basement can always be deeper too (and probably should be...), as Elmef said there's probably massive gaps between floors.
Now concerning the escape tunnel I may be incorrect, but I thought the escape tunnel, at least as it's been represented on the MUCK, was somewhere deep within the catacombs (regardless of its description in the books)?

now to change my reply's topic for a moment!
Halyard never recovered from the last massive storm that was in like 2010-2012, right? So this storm would ruin the town completely - which would give the LP enough IC justification to try and reestablish a more permanent presence in the town like I had suggested trying to do in this thread earlier.
Heck, even the LP potentially building a fort in/around Halyard can be partly explained as offering the town residents a safe shelter for when bad storms come again in the future (or shelter if Halyard is ever attacked....)

Last edited by Ol'random (2020-12-03 09:01:52 PM)

I play Atticus, John, Lossow, Terrence, and Spruce
The Long Patrol Landing Page!
Usually on the MUCK Saturdays + Monday & Wednesday evenings if I have the time
Fastest way to reach me is via my Discord: Luke_SkyOtter#1438

#61 2020-12-04 05:02:21 AM

Elmef

I think the Long Patrol offering to help Halyard out after the storm is a good idea. Quinten would probably be all for that and trying to extend the Long Patrol's ability to bring some stability to Halyard. But I think Quinten and probably Ciocan would make it clear that Halyard's laws are paramount, that they can't just impose Mountain law on the town.

As for the flooding, I agree that the ground floor flooding through the main entrance is unrealistic.
But I went and looked it up, the escape tunnel is in the room with the spring of fresh water.
The spring is not that deep in the catacombs, it is the mountains main source of fresh water.

The issue in the book was it was hidden and the Badger Lord Stonepaw took forever to remember "Where" it is
The escape tunnel is low, and dank and underground and emerges from rocks right down by the storm. So it is i think conceivable that a storm surge could power through the tunnel and flood a portion of the basement.

#62 2020-12-07 11:23:13 PM

BlisaMarshmellow

I'm gonna try to be on tomorrow.  idk what Felicity will be able to do, but i can spoof npcs if nothing else smile  i have updated the fv and rwa subgroups about what those chars will be doing on thursday.

#63 2020-12-08 05:25:05 PM

BlisaMarshmellow

#64 2020-12-08 05:36:52 PM

Elmef

Sorry everyone
It's that time of year when unexpected Holiday related stuff happens

I got dragged away to Holiday related things and couldn't get online to tell anyone.
Which has thrown our schedule out for the Storm and the Blizzard

I am so sorry, I've never entirely failed to be able to turn up and run something before.
Was going to suggest we shift it

Storm on Thursday this week
And do the Blizzard on Sunday?

#65 2020-12-08 05:54:13 PM

Mother Krisha

that works and it's ok:). A couple couldnt stay ealier and I was wanting more online anyways so Thursday for western shores and sunday for abbey be great. smile.

#66 2020-12-08 06:00:10 PM

oz

sounds good ! I am on both days.

I play:

#67 2020-12-08 06:51:26 PM

BlisaMarshmellow

i think I'll be able to be there on sunday, maybe, and also maybe for Thursday.  smile

and it's okay.  rl happens.  do you have a smartphone?  if so, then you could log on the forums on your browser and forum email one of us, or comment on a forums post and let us all know.  I've done that before smile  (that's actually how I'm typing this comment....and editing it.... multiple times tongue )

Last edited by BlisaMarshmellow (2020-12-08 06:53:15 PM)

#68 2020-12-08 08:31:26 PM

Log-A-Log

Elibo will help where told..... yeah

#69 2020-12-09 02:43:08 PM

Ol'random
Website

Unfortunately, I probably will not be able to make it tomorrow as Thursdays are always super busy for me (or at least the around time that most people RP at 3PM MST/5 PM EST/10 Pm GMT)
I'll try to get on and I would like to, but I will more than likely be unable to

An edit:
Would it be possible to switch the OOC timing of the blizzard and the storm so the former is on Thursday and the latter is on Saturday? Admittedly it might be confusing for people in RP as the events would be out of order, but I think more LP players (.....mainly myself) can get on during the weekend compared to the week. If not that's alright I'll just make do and probably just do a photobomb (rp-bomb? cameo? idk) tomorrow XD

Last edited by Ol'random (2020-12-09 03:59:23 PM)

#70 2020-12-09 04:17:06 PM

BlisaMarshmellow

i thought the blizzard and the storm were the same thing...

I've like never seen elmef on the muck on saturdays.  i could probably make it, but I'm not sure about how many other players would be there.  i think some of our players do family stuff on saturdays.  I'm not even sure how many people will be there on sunday.  i may not be.

i thought i would have to be tested for covid-19 and have to quarantine, but i don't (yay!!); however, idk what sunday's gonna look like.  i usually spend the day with one of my best friends, but she's the one who had covid-19, so idk if she's gonna be better and out of isolation by then.

#71 2020-12-09 05:32:00 PM

Ol'random
Website

Right! I misread Sunday as Saturday in Elmef's reply, so sorry about the confusion whoops! Sunday works just about as well as Saturday for me, so my question still stands; would it be possible to RP the blizzard tomorrow and the storm on Sunday?
also thats good that you're okay blisa

Last edited by Ol'random (2020-12-09 05:32:41 PM)

#72 2020-12-09 06:30:45 PM

Mother Krisha

It IS the same storm...it starts at the Western Shore on Thursday and makes its way to Mossflower...getting colder etc...on Sunday

#73 2020-12-10 09:27:33 AM

Mother Krisha

Be on around  2 EST or 7GMT time.....it should start then ....or believe that's the plan anyways and today Dec 1oth

#74 2020-12-10 02:28:15 PM

Elmef

Damn sorry Ol'Random I didn't see these messages until after we had gotten started.
I could have reversed the direction the storm was coming in or something and worked something out.

#75 2020-12-10 02:46:45 PM

BlisaMarshmellow

I'm not gonna be there today, but it's okay.  especially since idk what Felicity would be doing.  have fun big_smile

Board footer