Redwall MUCK Forum

Redwall MUCK is an interactive, multiplayer text game set in Brian Jacques' Redwall universe.

Visit RWMUCK.ORG for more info!

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-05-17 03:34:11 PM

Henry the Poet

I - am that is OR What about all your other stuff Martin?

Greetings my friends! How goes it this fine spring day?

Now I have a question, which is simultaneously about the MUCK and the books.
Martin the Warrior, if you are reading this, you know who Martin is. He is in more books than anything else, except of maybe his own sword. Ratdeath, in some  from, makes an appearance in every book in the series (I have not read past The Bellmaker, so if it does not appear in a later book, I would not know (for example, I don't think it appeared in Lord Brocktree)) except The Bellmaker.

Now, here's my question, where is the shield?

In the first book, Martin had a shield. In fact, the shield was required to find the sword. But in Mossflower, Martin never got the shield, so where did the shield that Matthias some from? On top of that, correct if I'm wrong, but it's not mentioned after Mattimoe, so where did the shield go? I will not talk about his sword here, because if I did, it would devolve into a rant about Mariel of Redwall (and not a positive one, let me tell you) I just want t know about the shield.
Now the Question as it applies to the MUCK, where is the shield? If it has been said where it is? If not, could it be used in an TP (like, a quest to find the Shield of Martian)?

Don't get me wrong, I love this series. I am just curious.

P.S.:
In Mattimoe, Matthias had armor. Where did that come from, where did it go?

Last edited by Henry the Poet (2017-05-17 03:36:25 PM)

"Oh, dainty triolet! Oh, fragrant violet!
Oh, gentle heigho-let (or little sigh)
On sweet urbanity, though mere inanity, to touch their vanity we will rely!"
-Chorus. "P'raps If You Address The Lady Most Politely." By Gilbert&Sullivan. Princess Ida.

#2 2017-05-18 11:19:48 AM

oz

Re: I - am that is OR What about all your other stuff Martin?

I believe the champion, who is Magramba...has the shield and the armor is most likely on Martin in his tomb

I play:
Brother Gorvenalus-Redwall Abbey Recorder,  Private Cole,a runner, of the Long Patrol
Oz( Yes named after Papa Oz) young adult and Novice in Redwall.

#3 2017-05-25 04:26:50 PM

BlisaMarshmellow

Brian Jacques wrote /Redwall/ for the children at the school for the blind in Liverpool; he had no intention of publishing it, but then one of his old English teachers took it to a publisher without Brian's permission, and that lead to a contract for the first 5 books (see here http://www.redwallabbey.com/ under 'About Brian' under 'The Start of Redwall').  There are some inconsistencies between the first book he wrote and all of the others, presumably because of this.

Matthias' armour was probably some he just got from somewhere; I don't think it was supposed to be Martin's (although it's been a while since I read /Mattimeo/, so I could be misremembering).  They had random stuff in the books, so it's conceivable that he could've just found it because some random Warrior mouse left it seasons before.  Or something.

I don't know what all the Champion on the MUCK has other than the sword.  Your idea for a TP to find the shield is a good one, though big_smile It just may not be needed sad Sorry.

And /Lord Brocktree/ is the only book in which neither Martin nor his sword show up, unless I am misremembering /The Bellmaker/ (which is a distinct possibility; I haven't read it in a while).  Are you reading the books in publishing order?  Because I'm mildly confused about which books come 'after' which ones because, after I read through them the first time (in random order that my preteen heart dictated), I tried to read them in chronological order according to the events in the books, so I never really bothered (or was able to?) keep straight the order in which they were published.

So, yeah.  But /Brocktree/ is wicked cool; don't skip it 'cause Martin's not in it wink  Sorry for ruining that for you sad

Also, here's this http://redwall.wikia.com/wiki/Redwall_Wiki Don't look up things that are in the books you haven't read because the people who do that are good at writing spoilers.  But there ya go; the fanperson's handbook smile

#4 2017-05-26 07:33:37 AM

Henry the Poet

Thank you!

Martin was in /the Bell Maker/, just not the sword.
Publication order is:

Redwall
Mossflower
Mattimeo
Mariel of Redwall
Salamandastron
The Bell Maker
Outcast of Redwall
The Pearls of Lutra
The Long Patrol
Marlfox
The Legend of Luke
Lord Brocktree
Taggerung
Triss
Loamhedge
Rakkety Tam
High Rhulain
Eulalia!
Doomwyte
The Sable Quean
The Rouge Crew

I've only read up through the Bell Maker, so after that I don't remember the order that well. That's what internet is for I guess.

"Oh, dainty triolet! Oh, fragrant violet!
Oh, gentle heigho-let (or little sigh)
On sweet urbanity, though mere inanity, to touch their vanity we will rely!"
-Chorus. "P'raps If You Address The Lady Most Politely." By Gilbert&Sullivan. Princess Ida.

#5 2017-06-07 12:45:54 PM

BlisaMarshmellow

No problem!  And thank you for posting the publication order; I don't think I'd ever seen it before smile (Or maybe I have and it just hadn't clicked in my mind tongue )

#6 2017-06-25 12:40:42 PM

LeeJ

In the novel Redwall, there were three distinct items: the Sword, the Shield, and the Scabbard. After Redwall, and probably Mattimeo, too, the Shield and Scabbard both completely vanish from the narrative. Presumeably, once he realized this was going to be a whole series of books, Jacques decided to just streamline that bit and keep only the Sword as the important bit, instead of having to deal with two or three items in every book.

Last edited by LeeJ (2017-06-25 12:40:56 PM)

Characters: Lee, Lacota, Thomas, William, Adrian, Varus, Abel

Board footer