Redwall MUCK Forum

Redwall MUCK is an interactive, multiplayer text game set in Brian Jacques' Redwall universe.

Visit RWMUCK.ORG for more info!

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-10-27 07:17:28 PM

Ol'random
Website

Fencing Practice - LP 10/27/20

Ens. Elbio and Sgt. Terrence.

Like clockwork, Terrence's day since the return of the badger lord and his company to Salamandastron has been as follows: after waking and a brief meal for breakfast, the sergeant take the patrol and recruits on a long march up and down the coast, returning at 11 am for an hour long lunch. At noon, after a brief meeting for announcements and other such things, the patrol moves to either the training room or the outside parade ground for drilling and practice fighting until 6, at which time dinner is eaten. Today just after noon, Terrence is in the training room today working with his patrol and the new recruits with quick timed formation. There sergeant barks out commands for them to react quickly and take position, trying their best to swiftly switch from marching column to the four ranked battle line and back again.

Elbio went on the walk but then had been called aside to get his new uniform, by now it's very likely the Badger Lord had informed his new teachers of the change in his rank. Seeing the Sergeant he straightens up and walks over, salutes "Sur" He says and waits to see what he needs to do.

Terrence raises an eyebrow at him, and waves over one of the the lance-corporals to take over the drilling so he can talk. "By all rights," the sergeant says as he salutes to Elbio when he makes his way over, "I'm the one who calls you sah, Ensign. I'm simply just 'sergeant' to you now."

Elbio looks surprised " But are you not supposed to be one of my teachers?" Ok he is still new to all this, but us learning.

"I suppose I am," Terrence shrugs, "I'm acting as you'h trainah but not you'h commandah - there's more of a difference on papah between the two than in reality, but there's still a difference. While I can't officially ordah you 'round like of the privates, you might take what I say as a suggestion of sorts." The sergeant leans on his spear. "And that goes both ways - you can't strictly ordah me 'round, neithah. Not till you're a full offciah, wot."

Elbio nods in understanding "Understood  Sergeant. I know I still need training in a few fighting forms, and now on how to be an officer. Hopefully I am ready by Spring"

The sergeant bows his head, "Of course, I think we all hope that." Terrence walks over to a table and, leaning his spear against it, picks up two sabers blunted with rounded point. "When it comes to fighting forms, the main one you need to worry about is you'h sword play." He turns back to Elbio and offers one of the practice weapons to him. "You'll be getting a propah blade with you'h lieutenancy, so you should start learning now. You know how to use a sabah, sah?"

Elbio takes the saber and nods" I can use one yes . I have also used a dirk mostly and some throwing knifes"

Terrence nods, thinking. "I see. Well, you'll want a sabah o'h othah longah blade than a dirk, especially considering you'll be acting alone in Mossflowah." Taking a few quick swings in the air to test the blade, the sergeant looks at Elbio. "You up fo'h a practice duel? I haven't done one since the patrol had more hares, but I used to come in second place in the old fencing competitions seasons ago."

Elbio nods " Sure and..well I won't be alone, others are at the abbey where I will mainly be. Though I am to check on Ferravale sometimes, was thar briefly once tis a mainly vermin village"

With a laugh Terrence replies, "Of course you'll have the beasts who live there around you- I heard about those places, but nevah been there myself - but you won't have any trained fighting hares around you was my meaning, sah. A speah, dirk, o'h sling is good fo'h group fighting with those who know how to use them, but with one on one not much is bettah than a sword."

Elbio says, "Thats true and quick thinking is good, course if worse comes to worse...could always retreat, done it before. There was these...well, not sure odd creatures deep south, rather not see them ever again. "

Terrence is silent for a moment, pondering what was said. "Hmm. Well, hopefully you won't run into whatevah those creatures were any time soon." Taking off his jacket and setting it neatly down on the table, the sergeant turns back. "I'd also be cautious about putting yourself in situations were retreat is needed - obviously you can't tell what every encountah will turn into, but it's a rathah dangerous thing to turn you'h back on the enemy. Even if hares are fastah than most none of us can outrun an arrow o'h stone, at least as fa'h as I've seen with my own eyes."

Elbio stays alert as the Sargent speaks, " True, very well I do try to be careful and hope never need ta try and outrun an arrow."

"Good sense of you'h own mortality, eh?" Terrence chuckles. "Most new recruits don't have that even if that's what I'd say is the most important thing about soldering. And best way to deal with an arrow is killing the beast before they can draw one - with which a sabah'll help immensely."

Elbio hmmms, " To block my guess and archers are not too good up close" He is still alert as he watches Terrence.

"Block?" A look of surprise is on the sergeant's face. "I've not of heard anyone blocking an arrow, but I suppose you mean blocking any blades they might have." Terrence brings up his practice weapon. "Luckily, if one knows how to use a sabah few things are fastah in close combat. Unless they have armouh, of course," He adds as an after thought, "But if they are kitted out like that I'd suggest running fo'h the hills before they see you." It's clear from his tone that while somewhat jokingly light there's an edge of seriousness to his statement.

Elbio nods as he angles his practice blade. "Wise advice, get back up if needed or leave alone if they are passing by."

Footpaws together forming a backwards L shape, Terrence raises his own practice blade up and point straight out towards Elbio, before raises it upwards to complete the brief sword salute. "Well then, shall?" His stance changes - while his footpaws are still forming the same rough shape as before, they're spread apart and his knees are bent. He bounces ever so slightly on them, waiting for Elbio with his saber pointed at the ensign and left paw behind his back.

Elbio nods, ok so he does need to learn a sword salute but doesn't seem to hard as he gets into a fighters stance and stays alert. He stays focused and ready.

"Well then - En grade!" Terrence says, giving the ensign a moment to breath... before suddenly lunging forward with a quick and simple thrust.

Elbio quickly angles to block the blade with his own and push it away. He has been in fights before.

Terrence rocks back slightly on his heels, allowing his blade to be pushed away. He follows with a light slash to the ensign's left, but it's a fient - if Elbio falls for it the sergeant dips his practice blade down to poke his opponents center.

Elbio follows carefully and goes to block, his eyes go wide at the trick and he mutters to himself. He may need a little practice with the blade. He speaks "Suppose in a fight I would either be dead now, or badly hurt"

"Maybe, though it wouldn't have been more than a pin-prick." Terrence steps back, putting a bit of distance between them and raising his sword tip out towards Elbio in a defensive stance. "I mostly did it to throw you off more than anything."

Elbio nods. "Yeah..." He tries for the surprise attack now swinging to the right side and staying quick on the footpaws.

Terrence sees Elbio move and simply moves his blade slightly to the right to parry the  swing, following with a quick thrust not meant to hit but to keep the ensign away. "You'll need to do more than just a swing to surprise me - try feinting more."

Elbio backs up and nods, he is learning to do better. He thinks, as he stays alert. A faint to the right is done then, a quick jab to the left.

Terrence went to block the right, though having just suggested the ensign feint he expected it; yet he allows the left jab besides a slight twist to lessen the impact. Even though the blades were blunted and the tips rounded, it still hurt to get jabbed by one. "Good!"

Elbio chuckles, he then angles the blade and moves slightly to the left going in for a slash to the side.

With a quick flick of the wrist Terrence's saber parries the slash to the side, followed by a swift slash of the sergeant's own - going immediately from Elbio's practice blade up towards his sword arm.

Elbio is a bit surprised and about loses his balance but keeps a good grip on the blade. "Ok... That hurt some..."

"Sorry." Terrence mutters, lowering his weapon. "Though you'll probably get a few more bruises before the spring, sah. I'll have to teach you how to parry and block more effectively, maybe fo'h next time."

Elbio nods "Next time works yes still some time." He knows he has this and other things  to learn by then.

With a nod Terrence salutes in farewell. "Right then, ensign, see you soon." The sergeant turns back to his patrol and soon takes over the the drills once again.

I play Atticus, John, Lossow, Terrence, and Spruce
The Long Patrol Landing Page!
Usually on the MUCK Saturdays + Monday & Wednesday evenings if I have the time
Fastest way to reach me is via my Discord: Luke_SkyOtter#1438

Board footer