Redwall MUCK Forum

Redwall MUCK is an interactive, multiplayer text game set in Brian Jacques' Redwall universe.

Visit RWMUCK.ORG for more info!

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-10-24 09:45:06 PM

oz

Talks of Important Issues and A Surprise Visator!-LP LOG

WHO:

Ciocan- Badger Lord

Gregorian-Master Blacksmith, Fighter and Captain in the LP

Terrence- Fighter, Sargeant in the LP

Velm-LT.  and Healer in the LP (shows up towards end)

LOG:

After a busy afternoon of hares clanging bits of metal around the forge had finally fallen silent as Greg had dismissed the young hares who've been learning to smith and moved on to tidying up after them. He's currently gathering tools they seem to have just abandoned everywhere and putting them back in their proper places.   

Ciocan steps quietly into the forge chamber, one of the hares quickly salutes him and heads off elsewhere. The badger glances at Gregorian before clearing his throat to speak.

Gregorian doesn't seem to notice the badger at first, he assumed the creak of the door moving was the last of the hares leaving so it's not until the throat clear that he glances back "Oh" a small pause and he shifts the tools in his arms enough so he can throw a very quick salute "Sah" he returns to putting the tools away as he talks "Couple of promisin' hares in the group. Marl I think might just be learnin' to impress a doe but he can at least make a blade with consistent thickness...which is more than I can say for Fig" he says, giving a run-through of the results of the smithing lesson.

Ciocan nods as he listens " Always good ta have others who know how to use the forge. I was going over a list of promotions, a couple will need to wait but others are within the next day or so." He looks through some papers he has and pulls one out.

Gregorian doesn't automatically assume it's anything to do with him, he's usually more relaxed and less formal in the forge anyway so he's treating it more like a chat with a friend than a conversation with his commander "Oh yes? Who's the lucky recipients of all that extrah papahwork this time?" he chuckles "Any of the recruits advancin' yet?" tools away he finally dusts off his paws, gives the room a last look over and then finally looks at the badger again.   

Ciocan chuckles some " Not always more paperwork...one is Dominik, though it's being put on hold for now...see how he handles a small little task with some recruits, and we have a couple Terrence mentioned and..." He hands the one paper to Greg. "We have a new Captain. " He smiles now, promotions are a good thing after all.   

Gregorian chuckles again "It always means more in my experience" his whiskers twitch at the mention of Dominik but he nods "A test tah make sure he can handle it now seems wise" he takes the paper asking "Oh yes, who's that then?" before he has the chance to read that it's him and he looks surprised "Oh!..." he suddenly burst out laughing and then just as suddenly forces himself to stop, clearing his throat "I meant my remarks of additional papahwork in the most respectful of ways" he can't help a smirk though before he looks back at the paper "...Captain. Nevah thought I'd see the day"   

Ciocan nods " Congrats Captain, your do well and have earned it."   

Gregorian sits down on one of the stools by the work benches "Heh, I'm goin' tah have tah get a new uniform again. I'd only just got this one comfortable" he chuckles but looks back at the paper again just in case it disappeared in the last five second.   

A knock on the door is followed by Terrence poking his head inside the room with a greeting - but stops upon seeing the Badger Lord immediately and steps fully inside to salute. "Sah!" He says, to both Greg and Ciocan. )

Ciocan nods " Terrence. Come on in me and the new Captain was talking some on promotions"   

Gregorian looks up from the bit of paper, which definitely still says he's been promoted and he's now read enough to be sure doesn't end 'just kidding, you're fired', as the door creaks open. He chuckles as Ciocan makes note of the new rank "Takes some gettin' used to every time it changes" he salutes back at Terrence but doesn't get off his stool currently "Sergeant"   

There's a moment or so were Terrence doesn't immediately make the connection between Ciocan's and Greg's words, but he sees the paper the latter is holding soon enough. "Oh, congratulations, captain!" His eyes dart between the badger and hare as if to check that Greg /is/ the one to congratulate and that there's no one else in the room. "That's good news." 90% sure, Terrence grin at Greg. "Hopefully the new uniform won't be as stiff as the last one, eh?"   

Ciocan chuckles, " Some other promotions will happen soon most likely" He has his list to look over " Also need to decide whether anyone should go to Halyard or not, I know a couple of hares planned to but...I have to think about it"   

Gregorian doesn't confirm it for Terrence because he got it right away but he does chuckle at the last bit "It will be. They're always like that. Yah'd think I'd made them in here until yah get stabbed and find they're suddenly softah than yah'd like" He glances back at Ciocan "Ah, there's always trouble in Halyard"   

"Ah yes," Terrence nods, slowly. "I made a request of the Majah fo'h some corporals, which no doubt you've already heard..." The sergeant looks again between the badger lord and captain before asking a question. "Permission to speak freely about Halyard, sahs?"   

Ciocan sighs, " Halyard is...I am not sure. I know hares like to go and we do get some supplies from there. There is a hare maid that lives there, helps with some supplies we don't get here like a couple of times a year." He looks at Terrence " Go on Sargeant, you can speak. I have thought of getting a report somehow."   

"Time outside the mountain is good occasionally, of course, there's no where else tah go," Greg says before he merely gestures to Ciocan when he gives Terrence permission to speak, badger says yes so Greg agrees. Not that he'd disagree anyway though.   

"Thank you - " Terrence nods to the both of them, "The problem with Halyard is that it's become dangerous since we pulled out of there the autumn before last, which is natural, and ever since that nasty business with Zeldove and the slavah last wintah it seems every time one of ou'h hares goes there somebeast ends up dead - whether it be one of ou'h hares o'h a resident. We lost private Keifeh most recently, and since then I've had a blanket ban fo'h my hares to go to the town without ordahs." With a sigh, he continues, "I'd say the safest way to deal with this is by sending in a full patrol group to garrison the town and fix the place up and clean it up - both literally and figuratively. Too many slavahs and pirates have been passing through."   

Ciocan is listening as Terrence speaks " I read the report on Kiefer..which brings up one other thing, anyone who has anything of knocking out, even briefly or some bump to the head I don't care if you feel fine, you go to the infirm to be checked out and maybe even watched a days time." He seems to think on a whole patrol" I am unsure of sending a large number of hares thar at one time, and there have been peaceful trips but...few"   

Gregorian folds up his bit of paper to set it neatly aside as it was time for more serious business. He folds his arms as he thinks but it's not long before he gestures at Terrence "Personally I'm inclined tah agree. The place has got worse since we pulled out and it's not gettin' any bettah...The only reason we pulled out in the first place though was because we didn't have the hares tah keep the place patrolled. Do we have that now?"   

At Greg's last question Terrence grimaces. "I'd say no, sah. What few new recruits came in from that mission aren't exactly fit currently, at least by my standards. We have been doing bettah, but..." With a shrug, he says, "I wouldn't say we're at full strength again, not by a long shot."   

Ciocan says, "No, we are not and still will likely be some time till we are. But at the same time hate to forbid anyone going, maybe limit times of day..any other thoughts?:"   

Gregorian shrugs a shoulder and vaguely gestures with his paw "Well, that rathah causes a problem with the plan...I don't know. Yah can tell hares tah travel there in groups but it's free time, once they get there they always want tah split up"   

"Sah..." Terrence is being cautious in what he says, "There's nothing at Halyard that can't be got here at the mountain, mainly the tavern - if I'm not mistaken we have a bettah selection, and cheapah, here at ouh own ba'h." The sergeant shifts his feet. "And the creatures of Halyard seem to be more and more hostile to patrollers, o'h at least less willing to help a hare in dangeh."    Oct 24, 2020 at 8:03 p.m.

Ciocan nods" True a bar here but some things are gotten from Halyard...though could have it brought to us." He frowns " I will have to inform Elibo not to check out Halyard as he seems to want to or...maybe I should fo myself here soon and see things for myself"   

Gregorian scratches his whiskers as he's thinking "Sure, the rec room in the mountain has drinks enough for all but Halyard is more than the tavern. The market and othah shops are out there for a start. Some beasts have family or friends out there, sometimes yah just go a little stir crazy livin' in tunnels all the time. I don't think nevah goin' there again is a good solution"   

Terrence nods. "Well, I didn't say nevah go there again, Sah..." Taking off his spectacles he cleans them on his jacket hem. "We can't leave it as is, neitheh, as too many beasts have died. Fo'h now I'd suggest we start patrolling the town again, and always have a group on duty if hares are there."   

Ciocan nods" Much to think on...excuse me I will be in my office if needed"   

Gregorian throws a salute after the leaving badger before he sighs heavily "Halyard's nevah goin' tah be an easy fix. We need hares we don't have tah retake the place and the longah it goes the more vermin move in tah work against us. Our numbahs are bettah but we're just not there...Maybe we just need tah limit it. Have a day or week tah go in wotevah force we need and then no one goes there any othah time"   

Saluting as well as the badger exits, Terrence shrugs. "That could work, but I can't stop a thought that if we were to do that any vermin who wanted to cause trouble fo'h us could prepare, but if we go at random times the poo'h shopkeeps have to deal with a whole troop of hares unannounced - which I don't need to tell you'll probably ruin what little love they have left fo'h us."   

Gregorian shakes his head "Every solution presents a new set of problems...I'd love tah just march down there and clear the rabble out. Like the old days. Break a few vermin and run the rest out of town..." he grumbles "These days knownin' our luck these days they'll probably come back with an army if we did"   

"No doubt about that," Terrence agrees, though he thinks on it for a moment to soon add, "Of course, I'd much rathah fight off in army from inside Halyard instead of besieging the vermin in the town from the outside."   

Gregorian grunts "I'd rathah fight them off from the mountain...I suppose help isn't far away if they tried somethin' but I don't think that place would keep out a blind rat nevah mind a horde"   

Terrence laughs. "I'd prefeh that too, I suppose.... Though wasn't via Halyard the slavahs we chased ovah the sea got thei'h boats? If we regularly had a patrol out there we could hopefully stop any large moments like that again, and maybe give the hares a good safe base to stay at if need be."   

Gregorian squints as he's thinking back to the reports "I thought that was furthah north they switched ships" he shakes his head "I don't know. Retire a bunch of old guys who like a scrap out there, they'll sort the place out or die happy fightin'"   

"Maybe, and send along some privates who are the more troublesome types with them," Terrence says with another slight grin, "Though my hopes fo'h them then would be eithah they straighten out o'h die of boredom."   

Gregorian snorts and glances around the forge, finally getting off his stool as he tries to remember what still needs doing around the place "In my experience boredom doesn't make beasts behave bettah, it normally leads tah more trouble"   

With a slight sip of the head, Terrence says, "Which is fai'h. Though I suppose I was thinking being bored would serve as a bettah punishment to send hares off to, and I'd rathah hares be bored than in needless dangeh..."   

Gregorian starts gathering some half made items from an earlier class to toss on the scrap metal pile for melting down, back to work while he talks "We'd all rathah that. It may get a little tedious when it's quiet but we'll all miss it when the trouble starts again"   

"Indeed..." Observing the smith work, Terrence moves to make sure h's out of Greg's way. "Though speaking of things tedious, the Majah and I talked about having some more training sessions with the hares - and while keeping an eye on Dom to see how he handle it. The new recruits we've got need it, as well as the old ones who've gotten a bit rusty." He shrugs, "But mainly I'm telling you this because of Dom - I'm worried about him and had an idea that I told the Majah: if he's given some responsibility he might, well, at least leave those toad bones alone - hopefully."   

Gregorian frowns slightly as he works "Mm. His lordship mentioned some kind of test" he pauses in his work at the mention of the toad and he gives Terrence a look. Thinking. The temptation to remove that desecration from the catacombs was strong "Noted...Assumin', he doesn't take them everywhere with him now"   

Terrence doesn't miss the look Greg has, nor does he have trouble guessing what the older hare is (probably) thinking. "Well, I can't answeh that exactly, sah. He's stuck to the catacombs more and more since Lis-" He corrects himself, "/Sgt./ Felicity has been in with the healahs, at lest as fa'h as I've seen him. As fo'h the toad, it's still down there. I send some of my more misbehaving privates to go check down there from time to time, and they all mention it at some point in thei'h babbling." With a glance at the door, he adds, "Speaking of which - I need to go make sure they're all in ordah before dinnah, leastways get the sentries sorted."    

The mention of Felicity earns another frown from Greg but it's very different to the first one with hints of worry. He doesn't need to ask how she's doing, he knows it's not better. He nods at the last bit "Don't let me keep yah, I'd hate tah make yah late for dinnah" he offers a rather casual salute as he keeps working.

Terrence nods, and, with a quick salute and a "Well, good evening sah!" makes his exit.

==Later That Evening ===

A few hours had passed and it was nightfall now but the sentries saw movement and of course alerted the Badger Lord. Ciocan had come right away "Wot is it Pete" "I...am unsure sur,you might wanna...see this for ya self sur" An eyebrow is raised but he heads out to the entry.

Velm half stood, have sort of leaned agasit the rocky path leading to the entry "Please...."He sounded tried just unwilling to leave,a sigh as he finally sat down.It was clear he had walked a good deal.Upon seeinghearing the voice and looking up a smile shows "Your...Lordship.."   

Ciocan steps closer as he examines the hare before him and his eyes widen "Velm?!" He seems deeply surprised, how long had it been?Was the hare really here or maybe he fell asleep in his office.It was possible he was dreaming, after all.....   

Velm manages a sort of smile and steps forwards, a salute is given but it's clear the hare is worn out, tried...no wounds at least,but likely blisters on his footpaws "Tis...me." He sort of falls forwards.   

Ciocan quickly catches the haere and heads stright to the infirm with him, looking down at him as he was still in shock. He had not seen the hare since...well it's been a while.   

Velm has been missing since that day of battle on the abey grounds,taht fight with Ormaz...Velm was placed down as missing as his body was not found cause...well he wasn't dead but how he got back and waht happen between then and now will have to wait. He was home that's    ....

Thats all that mattered   

Ciocan lays the hare down and sits down in a chair as the healers check on the hare and he stays where he is till ge will get a report.   

One of teh healers salutes "No wounds...maybe some really really old ones..scars. It seems he is just worn out...likely trvaeling some days with little rasions,he should be find after some rest sur, and a meal when he is more awake but we can get a little water down him.

Ciocan nods, he then stands "Let me know when he awakens, but give him some food first and water,then...then we can see what has happen and where he has been" He lays a paw gentlely on Velms shoulder and smiles,he is happy to see the hare though still concerned "Welcome home....Lt Velm"

I play:
Brother Gorvenalus-Redwall Abbey Recorder,  Private Cole,a runner, of the Long Patrol
Oz( Yes named after Papa Oz) young adult and Novice in Redwall.

Board footer