Redwall MUCK Forum

Redwall MUCK is an interactive, multiplayer text game set in Brian Jacques' Redwall universe.

Visit RWMUCK.ORG for more info!

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-08-22 09:25:31 AM

Willow

Crafting a new cane

WHO:
Gregorian
Xander
Caleb

LOG:
It's the day after a night of partying, food and drink for most of the younger hares so what better time for the older generation who actually got some sleep to clang bits of metal together and generally make a lot of noise. Fortunately the forge is pretty separated and the walls are thick of half the mountain would probably be complaining. Greg is busy within though, making an early start on the todo list that built up while they'd been away.

Xander makes his way along the hallway, every so often he leans on the wall, he then gets to the large forge room and manages a few feet before stumbleing but he catches himself,he slowly stands back up and regains his balance, he doesnt have a staff with him right now.   

Gregorian's ear turns to the door as it creaks open and he glances over, grimacing a little as the badger stumbles. He doesn't immediately rush to help though because he has a hammer in one paw and a pair of tongs with a very hot bit of metal in the other paw "Yah alright lad?" he questions as he dunks the metal back in to the forge to free his paws up.   

Xander nods, " Just getting use to walking again, but my right right sort of gets stiff at times. " He looks around " I need a cane or..sumthing"   

Gregorian frees his paws and drags a stool over for the badger to sit "Well yah had one last night, wot happened tah that?" a little huffed sigh and he shakes his head "Look, I get it. I lost a foot, I had tah get used tah walkin' all ovah again" he pats the walking stick he still keeps in his belt "I had tah use a stick for a long time, still do sometimes...Yah goin' tah need tah adjust"   

Xander frowns as he slowly gets to the stool. " Its a staff I sort of borrowed from your training area, likely not the best fer..helping me." If one sees it, its also slightly cracked in one place where he fell rather hard one day 8n the library. " It's...hard and my stregth is , well.." He frowns, " My while right side is weaker than in should be, sometime it goes numb"

Gregorian scratches his beard and gets the metal out of the forge before it can get too hot but he leaves it to cool beside the coals for now "Mm, nothin' made for hares is goin' tah be any good for yah and we haven't had stick wieldin' badgahs in a long time...I can sort yah somethin' out. There's a few days before yah off home at least"   

Xander nods as Greg speaks " That would be helpful yes , and I look forward to being home...just not sure wot ta expect ..is all."

Gregorian pats down his pockets and glances around the room while he's thinking about what he needs "Expect overjoyed relief I imagine. They don't know wot has happened tah the children or if they'll see everyone again. No one is goin' tah be sad tah see yah all back" he finally starts digging around some of the work benches as he talks.   

As the two talk, the young mouse would wander in to look around the area. He was rather impressed with the designs for his shield that was given to him by Lord Ciocian and wanted to see more before they left. Of course, running into his father, Caleb would come over and give Xander a nice hug, glad to have the badger still around.   

Xander replies " Yes of course....I know that just.." He shrugs as he sits there " Me, I'm not really the same now. Not...really."He looks over at Caleb and smiles.

Gregorian pauses to think for a moment. He was a very different hare since he lost his leg too "Mm...No...but yah'll get used tah bein' different...eventually" he finally finds some string as Caleb appears. He nods at the mouse "Hullo there" he greets before gesturing to Xander "Right, stand yahself up, I need tah work out how long tah make this stick of yours"   

Caleb would look towards Gregorian and get a good idea of what was going on, backing himself up to sit just away enough so he wouldn't get in the way. He was interested in watching what would happen.   

Xander frowns but slowly stands, he balances himself and then stands up straight,he tenses up a little when his right leg goes all numb again like it does sometimes but manages to stay stood up for now.   

Gregorian pauses for a moment to make sure the badger's not going to fall over straight away before he quickly steps over. He only really needs the one measurement to get the badgers height and quickly gets it with the string "Good, good. Sit yahself back down. Erm...Will need tah see yah paw, if yah just hold it up" he gestures to Caleb and some wood stacked in the corner "Have a look ovah there would yah lad? Find me a nice strong, thick bit of wood tah work with. Needs tah be at least this long" he cuts the relevant length from the string and offers it over.

Xander nods as he sits down and holds out his paw, there is some slight shakeing of his paw but it was a lot worse some weeks ago.   

Caleb looks towards his father with a whimper as he knows this isn't exactly comfortable for him. He takes a moment to watch and make sure Xander won't fall over as he looks over towards Gregorian. With a nod, the mouse takes the string and goes over towards the pile of wood, starting to measure out every few pieces to see if he can find one that was just right. After a few moments of searching the pile, Caleb heads back over and makes sure to give the wood over towards Greg.   

Gregorian is easing in to his more creative mindset as he does a bit of measuring of the paw, remaining patient with the shaking "Alright" he says after making it quick and backing off to one of the work benches "Is there anythin' specific yah need or want from it?" he questions before taking the wood from Caleb with a nod of thanks and looking it over himself. He looks for weak points, tries to snap the wood in two to test it but he appears satisfied when it seems to be strong enough.   

Caleb takes a few steps back and just sits down, wanting to watch process to the best of his ability so he could learn for later.

Xander shakes his head " Not that I can think of, not much uneven ground, well least once home that is, easy to grip be good " He frowns as he lets his paw rest. moving it some, it seems to shake a little more but then relaxes more as he does.He is quiet" I just wonder wot others will think, I even got to thinking on something."

Gregorian grabs a bit of parchment to jot down a couple of things as he's talking "Well yah in luck, I have some experience makin' these things. Gettin' the weight and grip right is...well, it's a lot like makin' a good sword. I made mine from metal entirely, it's heavier but that's a personal choice for a blacksmith. Wood should serve yah well. A few metal braces for strength in this case...I assume yah weren't also lookin' tah hide a sword in it were yah? Takes a little longah tah make"   

Caleb would continue to watch, seeming to jot some stuff down with his notepad. It seemed the little mouse was much more adventurous than most, wanting to know every little thing he could learn to do with objects and such. Tea making, piloting a ship, and now wood working...   

Xander chuckles slightly " No. I knew a beast that had a hidden like thin blade in a cane, my Uncle Zee.." He sighs sadly as he remembers the old badger, " Uncle Zee held onto to my blade till,he said I was ready to weild it..had to go through tests and find chests" He smiles a bit as he remembers it well." as for the thin blade in Uncle Zees cane, that cane is buried with him , somewhere in,Send Valley way way north of mossflower"   

Gregorian chuckles too and pauses long enough to twist the top of his stick in his belt so it releases a catch to allow him to pull out enough of the blade inside to show it's there "Well now yah know anothah. I just couldn't make myself a cane without puttin' one in it...same goes for the pegleg actually" because there is a blade hiding inside his metal pegleg "I don't think I'll be leavin' any cryptic clues for my daughtah tah find weaponry though...for one thing the mountain's full of it, she can pick her own when the time comes. I made everythin' I wield so I suppose she'll miss out on the family history tah it all"   

Xander nods as he chuckles " Could come in handy one day, never know." He smiles" I hope one day to pass my blade to my son, unleas he wants to join the order at the abbey and if he does that is fine." He is quiet a little while before he speaks " I am steping down as a warrior, gonna join the order, just do pottery work and make,teas" He smiles, he been doing a lot of thinking and seems he has decided what he is going to do once home.

Gregorian chuckles again "Well if he does join the ordah he can use it as a paperweight" meanwhile his paws are getting to work and marking the wood with charcoal to figure out what he's cutting off "Yah got a plan, that's good. This forge was my retirement plan. I'll admit metal work is my preference ovah wood but I've branched out ovah the years. Even had to dabble in some glasswork before...Any designs or wot not yah want worked in?" he does have a lot of detailed patterns on his leg, stick and hammers if anyone could get close enough to see it.

Xander shrugs " Don't know, maybe like vines be nice or my name on it, both even. And yeah a plan..just hope all is well at the abbey we been gone like over a season now....be like a little over season and a half by time home." Its been about 2 or 3 weeks over a season now.   

Gregorian jots a few more things down on his bit of parchment "Alright, I can do that easily" he pauses to stroke his beard for a second as he runs through everything in his head "It should take, hmm...couple of days tah get it all put tahgethah. Plenty of time before yah leave and finally get tah return tah the abbey and yah peace"   

Xander nods " Thanks , I will remember to stop by before I head off." He looks back to the doorway,he can get that far even if he is slow doing so.   

"I'll bring it tah yah when it's done tah make sure everythin's right" Greg replies as he's thinking again before he gives Xander a quick glance and remembers the current problem "Ah, but, until then..." he looks around quickly and after dismissing most bits of wood carved in to handles for random bits of weaponry as they're too short he grabs a polearm instead, knocks the bladed head off within seconds and offers Xander the long pole as a staff "Go easy on it but it'll keep yah balance for a couple of days at least"

Xander smiles and nods his thanks. " Thanks." He is glad for something to help balance himself and nods " I'll be careful, not to worry I won't be doing that much "   

Gregorian nods once back and moves off to get to work designing and making "Leave it with me and I'll find yah when it's done"   

Xander nods and slowly makes his way back to his room.

Board footer