Redwall MUCK Forum

Redwall MUCK is an interactive, multiplayer text game set in Brian Jacques' Redwall universe.

Visit RWMUCK.ORG for more info!

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-06-09 06:27:49 PM

BlisaMarshmellow

Should I name Squirrelbabe?

So, this entire time I have been running (spoofing) Squirrelbabe, I've been calling her just that -- Squirrelbabe.  In the recent RP where Elmef ran Martin the Warrior speaking with her, he asked me what her name is.  I had to be honest that I hadn't really thought of it.  The IC reasoning I have developed is that she was so traumatized by seeing her parents and grandparents all killed by foxes that she kind of disassociated from her name, connecting it (somehow) to the tragedy. 

Well, now I'm thinking of actually making her into an actual character with a password, and I'm thinking it may be good to actually name her.  I could just call her Squirrel, but.....I think it'd make more sense to name the character and then RP out her slowly healing from her trauma and finally revealing her name.  What do you guys think?

Also, I am at a loss for names.  So help on that front would be appreciated, as well.

#2 2020-06-09 07:18:47 PM

Mother Krisha

Re: Should I name Squirrelbabe?

Ohh...ummm yes name her and make her a character smile
You could make her here soon, like real soon as for name...maybe look up baby names sites....

http://www.20000-names.com/index.htm

This is a good one for meanings, places etc!!!!! Loook!

#3 2020-06-09 07:40:16 PM

oz

Yes
She needs to be a character on her own and a name

I play:
Brother Gorvenalus-Redwall Abbey Recorder,  Private Cole,a runner, of the Long Patrol
Oz( Yes named after Papa Oz) young adult and Novice in Redwall.

#4 2020-06-09 10:16:52 PM

BlisaMarshmellow

Oh, baby name lists!  I hadn't even thought of that; thanks, Krisha! big_smile  Meanings are helpful, too; I like to know the meanings of names before I place them on a character.  I know the meanings of all but my last name IRL, so it's kind of a big deal to me.  Thanks so much!!

EDIT: A theme of hope has been suggested to me, and I could totally work it into her backstory.  Worth thinking about...
EDIT: Another suggestion: "something fiery...but pretty sounding, girl name yet strong and different...maybe rare too"

Last edited by BlisaMarshmellow (2020-06-11 12:57:38 PM)

#5 2020-06-13 02:07:32 PM

BlisaMarshmellow

Krisha suggested I look at names from different places and in different languages...
Koda and Krisha suggested looking at meanings behind names....
Koda suggested flowers or plants...
Oz suggested a theme of hope...
Xander suggested something fiery and strong, yet feminine....
And everyone who responded (including Leigh) overwhelmingly said NAME SQUIRRELBABE!

So after much thought (inspired by the responses I received), I have chosen a name for Squirrelbabe smile

In my mind, Celtic words sound fierce to me.  Maybe that's just because I know how fierce the Celtic and Norse people were back when the Romans were trying to conquer them, IDK.  They can also sound very pretty and feminine.  Then Oz's suggestion of hope created the spark of an idea, and I decided to try to go with the Irish word for "hope." 

Annotation-2020-06-11-204549.jpg

I asked Google Translate (which I hope is being accurate right now) and got Dochas.  I think it's pretty but also sounds strong, so I have chosen that to be Squirrelbabe's name. 

Unfortunately, Google Translate doesn't have the option to be able to hear Irish words (RUDE), so I had to look up things to help figure out how in the world to pronounce it.  I found this video helpful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DU9w9qLynwE Now, he's all like "Irish is phonetic!"  NO IT'S NOT.  It's like when people say English is phonetic and I'm just like, YEAH, EXCEPT FOR WHEN THERE'S A SILENT E.  However, after watching the video, I can see that Irish is somewhat semi-easy once you learn the rules.  So that part was helpful.

So Squirrelbabe's name is pronounced doh-kuss.  Dough-cuss?  You get the picture.

So thanks soooooo much to everyone who responded to my request for help!  You helped me choose this name. 

Now to actually make her as a character....

I will say that Squirrelbabe/Dochas is the only character alive who ICly knows her name, and Martin (and any other dead chars) are NOT allowed to reveal her name to anyone who's alive.  She will reveal it through RP, eventually.

(EDIT:  You're gonna have to click on that picture of Google Translate because it decided to be a pain and not be big enough to see >< Sorry sad )

Last edited by BlisaMarshmellow (2020-06-13 02:16:38 PM)

Board footer