Redwall MUCK Forum

Redwall MUCK is an interactive, multiplayer text game set in Brian Jacques' Redwall universe.

Visit RWMUCK.ORG for more info!

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-02-02 04:15:33 PM

oz

Archery Safety Lessons and A New Recruit

WHO:

Zolomon- Corpital, Archer, Runner in the LP

Private Kole-Spoofed by Zolomon

Recruit Pong-Spoofed by Zolomon

Helem- Hare  Healer looking to Join the LP

LOG:

Zolomon was watching over a small group of privates and recruits, he sighed as he studied two of them and spoke "Private Kole..Recruit Pong, please step forwards, please..you others can do some running drills"He sighs as they wait "Now..."They salute and start to laps, seems like 3 today.   

Helem is standing nearby and watching the hares quietly, they didn't chase him off so he has stayed around and tilts his head.He has not interrupted either just being quiet.   

Zolomon speaks "Yesterday..someone could of gotten seriously hurt, your darn lucky they didn't..so we are gonna go over safety with longbows, short bows and arrows, also just in case crossbows."   

A paw is raised "But..sur...it was an accident.."...."Yeah not like we did it on purpose.."A small chuckle is given by Kole as if, it's just something to laugh about.

Helem frowns a bit but watches to see what will happen next, it usually isn't wise to laugh at an officer.

Zolomon glares at the two hares before him"You do NOT laugh, this is blooming serious!" He rarely gets angry and right now he is, he can't have any recruits or privates laughing about something like this"Someone could get killed or seriously hurt from a misfired arrow."   

Kole mutters "Misfired arrow...oooooooooh" Pong just laughs out loud and tumbles to the sand "One don't misfire an arrow...why would they?"   

Helem walks over after he stands "Ya know..if I were to talk to some officer like that my mother would tan me hide most likely"He stays off to the side still but he felt the need to say something.   

Zolomon speaks "Stand up now!"He is not happy, rare for him as he speaks"You want to start talking back to an officer..fine...maybe you can talk to Ciocan, oh and one don't fire an arrow by accident so ya..meant to hit someone?"   

Right away the two hare whimper, stand up and salute and in unison "No sur" The private frowns "We wee..joking..." The recruit shakes his head at his friend, clearly bad to say joking..in unison again "Sorry sur!" Still standing at attention.   

Helem chuckles at the change and grins, for now he says nothing more and waits til the Corporal is not busy"   

Zolomon looks over at Helem finally and back to the two hares in front of him "No longbows for you two till further notice, is that understood?" He gets a nod as he watches them"50 push ups and 50 sits ups..now"They start after a salute and he looks to Helem "Hallo"   

Helem nods "Hallo sur..I am Helem, just a passing hare...though I am interesting in the Long Patrol"He offers his left paw to shake.   

Zolomon shakes the paw "Corporal Zolomon..Runner,archer of the jolly Long Patrol"He looks to the two hares and makes sure they do the right number of push ups and sit ups" Tending to some..archery issues"   

Helem nods as he steps back "Always pays to be careful, had a brother whom was an archer..I like the dirk myself, mainly prctice the healing arts"   

Zolomon nods"Your welcome ta stay as we go over archery safety"He looks to see the others finish their laps and makes sure sits ups and push ups are finished and nods "Alright, all of you gonna go over archery safety" Weather they like it or not and even after a few groans

Helem sits and folds his..paw?, seems he is missing the right one, into his lap, he decides to listen as well.   

Zolomon nods as he uses his own to speak " Even before nocking an arrow it is important inspect the arrows and bow. A major cause of archery-related accidents comes from damaged bows , as well as bow strings snapping. Make sure to check all components of both the bow and arrow for any signs of damage including cracks, chips, fraying, warping any other wear or tear that could compromise the integrity of this equipment. This was not the case yesterday after noon though, which leads to more safety I will talk of. All archers should load, aim, shoot, and retrieve arrows at the same time. This way no one is accidentally shooting while someone is on the range retrieving arrows. Thar will be whistles to signify the appropriate action. One whistle means you can shoot, two means you can approach the shooting line, and three means you can go retrieve the arrows you have shot. Also never load ya bow with beasts in front of you. And no PLAYING AROUND with a longbow or crossbow either"

Helem nods "All good advise I say, so you have crossbows here or just the longbows?"   

Zolomon answers "Seen one crossbow in the forge, but thing it belonged to a former hare, we have longbows as well as short bows"He looks back to the others, even has the hares repeat back to him what is said, even the two trouble makers repeat back what is said.   

Helem smiles "They seem to listen, fairly well sur...so whom would I speak to on joining up with your group?"   

Zolomon peaks "Ok a refresher course, for all...how ta fire an arrow" He will show with his as he tells them, he shows them how" Place one foot on each side of the shooting line. Find an agreeable adjusted position with your feet bear width separated. The foot nearest to the objective ought to be pulled back like this. Stand straight and tall, with your head up and your shoulders down and loose."   

Zolomon gets an arrow and loads his longbow "Like this, Grip your pinkie finger with your thumb, keeping your 3 remaining fingers together. your initial three fingers like so. The string SHOULD NOT be in the knuckle depression of the fingers."   

Helem watches, curious as he remembers lessens with his brother, he sighs a little but watches still.

Zolomon aims at a target he sit out "Watch how I am positioned, where my fingers are, my gasp is...how the bow position is, my stance....we will go over this in a few days with bows and arrows."He nods "Show me, pretend ya have a longbow, get into those positions"He nods to a few, a few he corrects and one gets it totally wrong as he sighs, ok he just needs to work with them more is all, thats all., "Also when its time to fire focus your eyes and your fixation on your pointing point. Your pointing point ought to be the measure of the tip of a bolt, not a general range. Look down the bolt and place the tip of the bolt on your pointing point." He shows them as he takes a deep breath,relaxes and fires, it hits the target that's 300 yards away, he grins at this and lowers the bow as he looks at the others"Questions?"

Helem grins "Your good sur"He stays off to the side till its ok to move again.   

He gets a couple that he answers, one main one is when they get bows again? Not for a couple weeks he states, they will go over rules some more and safety, and how not to play with them and also some strength exercises may be good to better prepare them, then they can do some small target practice and slowly work their way up, he then dismisses them and sits down looking tried.

Helem sits by his fellow hare "Keeps ya busy I reckon?" He smirks and nods "Not to worry lad, they will get de hand of it and be a jolly well run team of archers, anything takes time ya know"   

Zolomon nods "Yep sure does....can't say I am de best Corporal, but I am learning."He studies the hare and smiles "So wanna join de Long Patrol huh. Y sure its a life long commitment"

Helem nods "I am sure..."He shows both his paws, "Yes..it ya didn't notice missing me right paw, long story and may share one day, but I don't let it get me down..maybe cant fire an arrow but I can use a dirk, I am fast to doge things and beasts, and know healing skills, I have also worked on getting a sling to work for me, still working on me own design"

Zolomon grins "Impressive and I knew a beast with one paw, he was a good friend and a healer too...he also rode an eagle once"   

Helem listens closely "Sounds like a good beast ta know, not let anything get to them sort..I like that.I say dont let anything get to ya, or keep ya down...we are all different and all have our weakness and strengths, am I right?"   

Zolomon nods "For sure right, I think your be for sure welcome into de patrol and we do need more hares"

Helem says, "Well ya have one more then..me.I be happy to join up"   

Zolomon nods "Then welcome aboard then good sur"

I play:
Brother Gorvenalus-Redwall Abbey Recorder,  Private Cole,a runner, of the Long Patrol
Oz( Yes named after Papa Oz) young adult and Novice in Redwall.

Board footer