Redwall MUCK Forum

Redwall MUCK is an interactive, multiplayer text game set in Brian Jacques' Redwall universe.

Visit RWMUCK.ORG for more info!

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-01-26 08:32:11 PM

Ol'random
Website

FROM THE PAST: An encounter with a strange Hare - March 23rd, 2019

OOC: This RP happened while I was on spring break (and before I had a good idea for John's accent going forward) - I never got around to posting it due to school, but because of recent mentions of Hanzi I thought 'what the heck?' so here it is

Hanzi, a hare,
John (me), a squirrel,
and several spoofs by myself.

Nearly two seasons before John returned to Redwall, his caravan passed through Mossflower on their way north...

Hanzi was traveling, alone it looked like as he walks silently down the dirt road and every so often looks up to see where he is at, mutters something and scans the road as he walked, "Well not much changed seems..wot ever"

In a clearing next to the road down a little ways is a small group of wagons and carts surrounding the beginnings camp fire, with about ten or so woodlanders going about their business to prepare for the evening meal. A few sitting and chatting about something or another are next to the fire, not really doing anything.  John doesn't care much to hear what they say, however, sitting as he is on the outskirts and keeping watch for the small caravan. His eyes wander up and down the road in afternoon sun, drawing his cloak tighter about himself. His crossbow lays in his lap, a paw gripping the handle loosely to keep it from falling from were he sits in the end of a supply wagon. Spying the hare, John raises a paw in greeting, calling, "Hello there!" Beyond that, he doesn't do anything.

Hanzi lays a paw on his dirk and looks over at John as he studies him he relaxes and nods. "Hallo sir squirrel, seems your part of a traveling group then, usually wise to not travel alone but sometimes one does." He seems calm enough as he speaks.

John raises an eyebrow at the hare. "Aye," he says, nodding, "It isn't very wise - though I used to do it all the time." A few of the other beasts have noticed the hare, but continue on with prepping the meal. The squirrel continues, "That was before I needed to travel with others, of course..." He pauses, asking, after a moment, "And if it's so unwise what brings you to do it?"

Hanzi smirks. "I can take care of myself, use to be a clumsy beast and few friends but one doesn't need friends really, just allies to lean on"He chuckles a little and looks at the group as he speaks "Mossflower is peaceful...guess thats nice news and its spring...snow is melting, beasts gonnna get all warm and happy and be outside." He picks up some very slushy snow and lets it fall between his  fingers.

Nodding, the squirrel responds, "So it is. I'm glad for it - been a few seasons since I've been here. It was at war back then, and I got injured." John doesn't smile, instead something of a wary expression plays across his face. However, a mouse comes over, waving to the hare. "Hullo! I don't suppose you'd be a traveler, eh?" The mouse says, "We're a group of merchants, though I'm sorry to say nothing's for sale at the moment, all packed away as it is." he passes John and stops in front of Hanzi, offering a paw. "Worrick of Mossflower, at you service." The mouse says. John shifts slightly, something bothering him.

Hanzi nods. "Yes..I saw..horde and all, horde was destroyed by the mighty Long patrol....not so mighty now really" He seems to smirk a little and shrugs "Not that I care of the Long Patrol...sides those who lived went back to the stupid mountain."He watches the squirrel "You seem nervous, poor fellow." He raises an eyebrow at the mouse "Traveler...yes..a bit of one, yes."

The mouse looks back to John, giving an forced chuckle after hearing the criticism of the Patrol. "Don't worry about John there, he's always twitchy like that." The squirrel, for his part, gives Hanzi a smile that does not reach his eyes. "Nervous and twitchy aren't the words I'd say, mate." Worrick gave an awkward cough at that, turning to the hare. "Pay no heed to him. What did you say your name was again, friend?" The mouse asks.

Hanzi chuckles dryly at the word friend, "Hanzi....and friend is a strong word, isn't it?" He stays calm and relaxed.

"Hanzi? Well," Worrick says, "Friend is maybe a strong word, maybe...Eh. Would you prefer, heh, acquaintance?" It is clear that now the mouse is beginning to feel anything but relaxed. John gives a hearty laugh at Worrick's stammering, saying, "Friend, acquaintance, mate, passerby-" The squirrel shrugs, "Doesn't matter to me what the mouse calls you unless it's foe beast, eh? And you're not that." John leans back, the grip on the crossbow relaxing considerably.

Hanzi watches the squirrel closely now and slowly smiles..sort of smiles. "No one said I was...foe.I mean I am a hare..just a hare..." He keeps the sort of smile but he also isn't going for a weapon as he speaks again, "Use to....live around here, might again...cant say the western shores are that exciting, then is any place really exciting..sir?" He is wise and keeps his distance. "I should go, you...have a ...nice day and evening hmmm, enjoy the peace and..all that." He sounds bored,"I have things to do...maybe get a drink at that Black Gull...see ya." He turns slowly and walks off.

John nods, eye narrowing. "Aye, you have good day too..." Worrick looks from the squirrel to the departing hare, shouting after Hanzi, "Yes, yes, have a good time and safe travels to you!" Turning back to the squirrel, the mouse seems to be fuming. "Now, why'd you have to go off and be rude?" The squirrel just shrugs, and Worrick gives an exasperated sigh as he goes back into the camp, nervousness forgotten. John, however, watches the hare until he leaves his sight, fully relaxing only when Hanzi disappears from view.

Last edited by Ol'random (2020-01-26 08:41:11 PM)

I play Atticus, John, Lossow, Terrence, and Spruce
The Long Patrol Landing Page!
Usually on the MUCK Saturdays + Monday & Wednesday evenings if I have the time
Fastest way to reach me is via my Discord: Luke_SkyOtter#1438

Board footer