Redwall MUCK Forum

Redwall MUCK is an interactive, multiplayer text game set in Brian Jacques' Redwall universe.

Visit RWMUCK.ORG for more info!

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-01-26 07:18:10 AM

oz

You Should Get Out More-Long Patrol LOG

WHO:

Ciocan- Badger Lord

Gregorian-Fighter, Lt., Blacksmith in the Long Patrol

LOG:

Salamandastron: Forge Room
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* Salamandastron *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
You are in a fairly large room, the walls rising up around you hewn from
solid rock.  In the center stands a colossal object - the forge.  Steam is
constantly rising from the forge due to the intense fire burning within. 
The typical accessories are set around the perimeter of the forge:
billows, tongs, and a large bucket of cool water.  Lining the walls are
finished and unfinished items ranging from great battle-axes to little
forks.  A large ventilation shaft is above, raised higher than the rest of
the room to permit the rising heat to escape.  Because of the flames the
room is well lit, although quite warm.  Over in the corner of the room is
a small pile of raw ore just waiting to be molded into some implement or
another.

Ciocan had woke up early and couldn't get back to sleep, so he decided to do some work in the forge.He had already listen to a report that he decided to later figure out the real story behind as it one of the retired hares supposely beat down what one said was 3-4, while someone else swore it was a horde that was beat down by a single hare. The only thing he knows is he to be true is a large pie was missing from the kitchens and he had found out who had it and decided to just leave them alone at the time being and try to sleep, sleep failed so here he is.   

Gregorian is normally in early to organised things before training and paperwork stole his attention but today he was late and he brought the paperwork with him. He looks a bit worn out and tired but it's not enough to stop him working as he enters the forge. There's a quick nod to the badger, no salute as his paws are full of papers though "Mornin' sah. Breakin' anvils with the dawn tahday?"   

Ciocan glaces over as he finishes with a blade he was working on, he finishes the blade and goes to use the tongs to place it in the cool water, then carefully sets the blade aside before replying "Yes, couldn't sleep. Seems thar was some..disruption at the tavern in Halyard last night, have yet to hear the correct story on that one, those whom was at the tavern made it home after all, so must of not been too much goin' on"   

Gregorian sets the papers down in a pile, gives it a little huffed sigh and then turns away from it to grab a box of old unfinished projects from under the workbench instead "Hah! When isn't there a disruption at the tavern? It's wot half the have used tah go there for. Let off a little steam with a quick bit of bar boxin"   

Ciocan nods "I've been thar..once." He doesn't get outside the mountain much and when he does it's usually the beach to do some exercise drills,other wise he is inside somewhere, "So ...wot are ya working on today Greg?"

"And the event goes down in history" Greg jokes about Ciocan only going there once. To the question of what he's doing he stares at the box for a moment before sighing slightly "Howard" an answer which makes little sense unless one knows that he keeps trying to complete the work of smiths who died at Redwall. He pulls out a ruffled pile of paper scraps from the box "Looked like the main thing he was workin' on some ideah of a sword than splits in tah two swords. Always was a bit of a show off. He's got some sketches"   

Ciocan hmmms "I knew of a beast who had a small dagger like that once, that sort of weapon could do a lot of damage"He is quiet and finishes "Ta either the wielder or the target it was intended to strike. You could try and make it if you wish." He tries to remember a Howard and frowns, just starring at the blade he was working on himself and sighs as he goes over to sit down, taking the gloves off and rubbing his paws, taking a bit of a break from the forge for now, he had been in here a couple hours.   

Gregorian flicks through the papers slowly, looking over the details "Heh, I learnt my lesson aftah the spring loaded trap" he raises his paw that's missing the end of one finger "Propah precautions durin' testin' are a must...He drew a lot of rings in here. Must have been for Sai" Greg sighs heavily, shakes his head and heads for the metal waiting to be melted down and turned in to things "It's only right tah finish their work, can't really stand tah just throw it all out without tryin'" he sets to work but decides to try and change the topic because it's getting him down "Yah hear about Zolomon and the new hare? Erm, Zel somethin'"   

Ciocan is listening, half and looks over"The new, now Private Zeldove...yes she and him had some archery contest"He chuckles "Seems she just barely won,I seen them practicing together on the beach a couple times, they seem to get along quiet well"

Gregorian selects a bit of metal that's about the right size for his project and pushes it in to the forge to heat while he grabs his tools "Heh, more than well if yah hear him talk. She had him followin' her ordahs for a week for losin' that bet" he chuckles "He's in for some trouble there"   

Ciocan smiles "Well the week is likely up now..but who knows maybe their friendship will grow into something more. "He stands again "I try my best to know how all of my hares are doing, I even from time to time watch training exercises with the recruits and privates, some still need some work but I am sure they will learn"   

Gregorian snorts "The weeks up but it wouldn't surprise me if he'll keep doin' wot she says because he likes her" he glances over as the badger stands. He looks slightly amused "Yah just makin' it sound like yah lurkin' in the cornahs watchin' us all"   

Ciocan chuckles now" Not to worry I don't watch training sessions too often, seems to make some nervous. I do read reports, those sent to me on how training drills and weapons drills are going. Some areas need work and other areas seem fine where they are at.Learned ta work together when needed is a good thing as well, and hopefully isn't needed for a real battle anytime soon.I don't want to hear of any large scale or even slight scale battles happening.I can't stop the once in a while bar fight in Halyard though."   

Gregorian pokes at the coals with a pair of tongs as he talks "The patrol has been fightin' battles and trainin' long before eithah of us were born. There'll be wars and there'll be bar fights. Losin' beasts is part of that...but yah know, places like Redwall wouldn't still be there without us. Halyard would probably be ovah run with pirates and slavers. There'll be a patrol, one way or anothah, long aftah we're both gone too"   

Ciocan nods "True. I was asked more than once..why did we help Redwall during that siege, I had a small group of hares leave when we got back, since then a couple of the same hares did return.Things such as that you cant predict wot will happen and even when your given a clue, tis isn't always know the outcome. One may think they have all the info needed and come to find out they don't or the info ya had...changed." Its true the report for help came and by the time they arrived in Mossflower and the abbey to help, it had gotten worse" He walks over to the main part of the forge "Thar have been Badger Lords whom was lucky enough to have a peaceful time..have a family even, not many..others a long life, seen one whom was only Badger Lord a mere season or two."He checks on the blade he was making as he speaks "I also still try and keep up with news from Mossflower and Redwall..."He frowns "I sent a letter asking Xander to make sure news is brought to me..good and bad news in the spring and again in Autumn"   

Gregorian snorts as he finally takes out his bit of metal to shape it on the anvil, still talking between hammer hits "We helped because we're the Long Patrol. It's wot we do. Hard tah imagine a time of peace long enough tah outlive a badgah mind. I know a few had wives and children of course and then their children took ovah aftah them...but this is why I keep tellin' yah yah need tah get out more"   

Ciocan chuckles again, "Get out more..to find a maid huh....the mountain is not always run by one's son or daughter."He smiles a little again looking over some handles for the blade he had ealier. He picks one and sits in aside as he will finish the blade later today, it won't take too long now.He then chuckles again"So..if I happen to see a lone badger maid wandering around my mountain....blame you correct?"

"Just because the next badgah lord doesn't have tah be yah kin doesn't mean yah shouldn't try" Greg waggles his hammer at the badger. He returns his metal to the forge to heat up again "If I see a badgah maid wandahin' the shore I'll be sure tah suggest she come in for tea. How else are yah goin' tah meet one if yah nevah leave and we don't meddle?" he chuckles "Yah listen tah me, I've been married before, twice. That's double the experience...they're both gone now and the last one ended in divorce but it still counts"

Ciocan chuckles again "Knowing my luck I would fail at impressing a badger maid and I have been busy making sure all runs well here, and there is paperwork to complete, to look over..also the forge to make sure its running good" He smiles "But maybe I will go into Halyard some time soon, it has been a while,always good to take a break at times I suppose"

Gregorian hehs "Yah run intah a maid and yah'll have the whole patrol tah talk yah up. Get the runnahs tah take her flowahs or somethin'. Like I keep tellin' everyone else around here, there's more tah life than work...by the time some beasts figure that out they've lived half of it" a moment of thought and then he finally nods "Yah go tah Halyahd, yah'll probably keep the place quiet and we can all enjoy a drink"

Ciocan hmmms softly "I might go here soon....perhaps, as for finding any maids thar isn't a lot of badgers around, rare to see one really..but one never knows maybe...someday"He chuckles again in thought"That would be funny..wouldn't it, I wonder how that story would go if any hare seen me speaking to some lone badger maid I somehow managed to bump into" His luck literally bump into them.

Gregorian shrugs back "Well there's still more of them out there than there are in here" he frowns a little, curious and thinking "Wondah how the previous lords met their mates. Hm" another shrug "The story would probably be around the mountain in minutes but yah know how everyone is for gossip"

Ciocan rolls his eyes and decides to finish the blade he was making, its mainly a matter of carefully placing it into the handle and that it stays.A couple practice swings and its set aside for polishing later on"Who knows, perhaps they had a lot of free time or found one before coming here, I am not too concern but I venture over to Halyard, it has been a while."   

Gregorian takes his metal back out to begin hitting it again "I imagine it may be in the records somewhere. Still, yah, enjoy an evenin' out. Try the crab fritters if they've got them"   

Ciocan glaces at Greg and shrugs, he really should get out and may as well while not much is going on. He glaces around the forge and nods"Alright...well I am gonna get my cloak and a couple things and take a walk, to Halyard" He gets his war hammer and his cloak before heading out, a couple hares follow him and he turns back "Wot?" They back up a little and another speaks "Its just you..where ya going?" He sighs and decides to have the two hares tag along, besides company is nice after all and how many can say they went to Halyard with the badger lord himself

I play:
Brother Gorvenalus-Redwall Abbey Recorder,  Private Cole,a runner, of the Long Patrol
Oz( Yes named after Papa Oz) young adult and Novice in Redwall.

Board footer