Redwall MUCK Forum

Redwall MUCK is an interactive, multiplayer text game set in Brian Jacques' Redwall universe.

Visit RWMUCK.ORG for more info!

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-01-20 10:11:16 PM

Ol'random
Website

Dinnertime in a Mountain full of Hares - LP 1/20/20

Sgt. Terrence & Cpl. Zolomon, Hares.

Zolomon was eating dinner at one of the tables and finishing up some paper work. He has managed to  not let paperwork get behind and smiles as he finishes what needed done and takes a bite of his soup and a sip of his drink.

Terrence wanders in, a troubled expression of his face. Avoiding most other hares, the sergeant makes his way back towards the large soup pot to dish up a rather large portion for himself, as well as grabbing more than one bread roll. Bowl in paw, he turns back to survey the room, looking for an empty seat.

Zolomon has..well no one else at his table, then again he was a little hard on some of the archers training so they are avoiding him today.He has yet to notice Terrence as he eats dinner quietly, double checks paperwork and a smile cause it's done so he lays it neatly beside him.

It seems only Zolomon's table is free - it is dinnertime in a mountain full of hares, after all, and the crowded is getting to Terrence as he makes his way over to sit with his corporal. "Zolomon." He grunts, setting his bowl down across from him, "Mind if I sit?"

Zolomon looks up and gives a quick salute and nods "You may sit sur..course sur. I just got some paperwork done and was having dinner myself. And just so ya know I did find Zeldove she was just in the garden and was just fine"

"Eh, what?" Terrence had almost entirely forgotten the incident. "Oh. Right. Good to heah." The way he says that as he sits seems to make clear he's distracted by something. Without another word he starts eating his meal slowly.

Zolomon tilts his head "Is..all ok Sarg? Bad day?" He hmmms and nods "Well I can tell ya something funny, well not too..funny, it missed though so that was good....one of de Privates barely missed me ear at archer practice."

Terrence doesn't immediately answer the question, and by the time he does, he's already started on his second roll. "No, nothing like that. Just a lot I've been thinking about, that's all..." The corporal 's story, however, does anything but cheer him up. The sergeant stops eating, looking up at Zolomon intently. "How...?" He shakes his head, incredulous. "It's a bloody good thing indeed it missed." There's little humor to his voice.

Zolomon frowns, ok not the best story, "I..suppose a lot to think on being Sergeant and all..paperwork and such right? I could help with paperwork maybe, or maybe not if its hard"

That gives Terrence pause, and after a bit he gives a small smile. "Er, thank you, Zolomon. But I don't need help with paperwork and all that, but thanks for the offah." Returning to his meal, the sergeant adds in a lighter tone than he's been using, "Really, don't worry about me. I'm alright." With the second roll finished, he leans back ever so slightly. "I do need to warn you 'bout training that should be coming up soon. Sgt. Felicity and I are intending to combine divisions and have every hare undah us go through basic training again, though heavily changed from what you and all us went through."

Zolomon nods "Though I found it far from..Basic" He chuckles and frowns a little in memory of something else and sighs, his good ear drooping a little, he then smiles faintly "But hey...I learned though and got some unwanted battle practice, that was rather hard..barely survived, its how i lost me other ear "

"So I've heard..." Terrence says, "But this new training will be even more. Less dangerous too, hopefully. More or less to start out the hares will need to learn how to march at least eighteen miles in half a day and still be in fighting shape at the end of it - from there quicker and quicker marches should be learned. Afterwards, basic combat will come in and I sweah I won't let a hare move on until they mastah using speahs, slings, and daggahs. Then, we'll move on to battlefield tactics and all that - staying as a cohesive unit, working with battlelines and such."

Zolomon listens "Thats a...lot of miles in a day sur, and one thing that made it dangerous at the time I joined was de siege happen." He likely don't have to mention which one "But if still in fighting shape after that, that be very good sur and tis good to know different weapons like I know longbow, saber, dagger somewhat, and sling I have used as well. Spear is fairly easy, just not done too much with it, but it is easy to use when needed"

Terrence nods. "Yes. The sling, speah, and daggah'll be considered the basic weapons and every hare'll have to master them before moving on - including myself. I'm adequate with the sling, but nothing special. Aftah the hares have gotten those three weapons down, then they can move onto othah things, like archery o'h sword-fighting in theih spare time once basic training's done."

Zolomon nods and hmmms "Wouldn't a blade other than dagger like..dirk or saber be good to know though? I know Zeldove mentioned knowing throwing daggers , if that counts"

"A dirk's more o'h less a daggah," Terrence shrugs, "And in shoulder to shoulder fighting which this is preparing hares fo'h, swords are surprisingly useless." His soup now finished, the sergeant rests his elbows on the table. "Think about it. If you have a fellow hare on you'h right and a fellow hare on you'h left, you don't have much room fo'h a long blade like a sword. A daggah o'h dirk's much quickah and easiah to draw too."

Zolomon nods "Ya..have a point sur, smaller weapon and better in small spaces right?" He smiles "Maybe I need to learn more  battle stuff like that, I have trained archers and made sure some runners did laps, and exercises done by recruits and privates. And they are improving."

Dipping his head, Terrence grunts. "Indeed. We all do, to be frank - battlefield training that is. And that's the next part, but I'll just hand you what I wrote about it to explain when it come to it."

Zolomon nods again " I can look it over sur and you can even let Lord C take a look maybe and Jinora as well."He smiles "I like the idea you and Felicity had though on  doing some training of the units together at times, could be useful"

"Yes." Terrence narrows his eyes at the nickname for the badger lord and especially the lake of rank for Jinora. "Remembah that it's majah Jinora, corporal." He laughs suddenly, shaking his head. "But we're off duty so don't worry about it - just be careful using nicknames while in uniform and in front of the privates and recruits."

Zolomon nods "Right...right..understood" He smiles "But better training will be good sur, a very good well rounded patrol"

Terrence, looking down at his now empty bowl, says, "Hopefully, Zolomon, hopefully." He stands, picking up his dish and gesturing over towards Zolomon's bowl. "Want me to take that?"

Zolomon nods as he scoots over the bowl "I am sure all will be alright sur, and the whole use buddy system if out and about, not that it always works. An ambush can happen...even with a ..sergeant.." He frowns again and then clears his throat "Anyways sur..that was a  different matter or..so I heard, I don't think beast that hypotise are around , thats like..rare"

"Buddy system?" Terrence asks, picking up the bowl. "I daresay hares will not be allowed to go without thei'h squad unless directly ordah'd to. The dangeh should be minimized." As he walks away to deposit the dishes in the wash bin, the sergeant comes back. "What was that about hypnotizing creatures, if I heard you right?"

Zolomon nods "It was some...marten thing he was..insane, he's dead now thank the seasons. He had managed to  hare nap a couple privates and....on a ..wot was to be a simple patrol...but he..he..." He tries to stop the tears and fails.... "Sergeant Tarsa...she died..he somehow....." He wasn't there but found the report when looking for old battle stuff..like how some battles went ect ect to ..well prevent in the future and found it.. "I had started to go and she ordered me to stay..she be back in the morning and..she wasn't back..a...alive that is.....so the all hares need more training is good..very very..good sur so no one else...dies like that again"

Still standing, Terrence is silent for a long time. "Indeed." He finally says, quietly. "I can say that is the goal, Zolomon."

Zolomon nods and seems to stand there a while and then nods "Yes, the sooner..the better" He looks at Terrence a long while and then nods "I know you make sure Sergeant Felicity is always safe and sound. Just as I..will make sure Zeldove stays safe....cause...." He stops again and  smiles, why is thinking of Zeldove making him feel better, he is not sure really "I am...I need some sleep...any meetings need to know of Terrance before I...maybe get some sleep?" He does look tried.

"Go on and get some sleep then." Terrence says with a slight smile. "There's nothing more fo'h you to worry about today." The sergeant will remain in the dining hall late into the night however, rewriting his work while nibbling on the leftovers.

Zolomon nods as he heads on out, a salute and then he disappears around the corner, he will likely fall asleep fairly quickly.

I play Atticus, John, Lossow, Terrence, and Spruce
The Long Patrol Landing Page!
Usually on the MUCK Saturdays + Monday & Wednesday evenings if I have the time
Fastest way to reach me is via my Discord: Luke_SkyOtter#1438

Board footer