Redwall MUCK Forum

Redwall MUCK is an interactive, multiplayer text game set in Brian Jacques' Redwall universe.

Visit RWMUCK.ORG for more info!

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-12-05 10:40:34 PM

Leon

Redwall Log:How did Talk Of Mint go to Talk of Training?

Redwall lOg in the Great Hall:
Involved:
Leon-Master Healer and Brother in Order
Oz-Badger Papa
Benar-Abbot of Redwall
Volos-Redwall visitor
Xander-Badger Warrior in Training

Leon has taken some time away from the infirm, to look over supply lists and write down some things he sees as important to know or do in the coming weeks. The cold weather is increasing slowly as winter gets nearer and nearer so there is a fire in the fireplace today.   

Benar is sat in his chair by the fire, his feet up on a pouffe and pointed toward the fire. He has a large book in his lap and seems quite happily settled in to read for the afternoon.   

Leon sighs a little as he jolts something down muttering a little "Guess going to need to get more of that...."He rolls up the scroll he has.

Benar glances up as he turns a page and smiles at the chief healer, "What are we missing Leon? Anything I can help you procure?"   

Leon answers, "I try to keep mint leaves around, it helps to flavor some of the mixtures I might need to give someone for say a cough, or cold....or if someone needs something for pain and we are a little low right now."   

Benar asks, "Ah, did our mint crop not give us enough to last the winter? We usually have loads of the stuff out in the herb garden. We could perhaps trade for some more at Ferravale?"

Leon listens "I know some is used in teas to drink and that supply is in the kitchens, not sure what else it’s used for, I have in the infirm enough to last...." He looks over his notes " Well most of winter anyways, wouldn't need too much more as not much is used."   

Benar nods his head and looks back at his book, "Well perhaps we can ask Lacota to release some more of the supplies to the infirmary and avoid having to buy any."

It's cold outside, snow and ice have settled in. Volos does not seem best pleased as a result as he slowly shuffles in the door from the entry, shutting out the cold behind him. He immediately heads for the fire, ears twitching to the voices.

Leon nods, " I could ask Lacota in the next day or two, no rush to as I know he is busy with Winter feast plans and I heard he had some trouble with some hare recently also."   

Benar says, "Yes, I never did get to the bottom of that trouble but I didn't want to pry." He shakes his head and smiles, "As long as it is not affecting his duties as Friar it is no business of mine to go prying,." He glances up as the door opens and raises a paw to the mouse, "Ah good day, welcome in from the cold, join us the fire is very good today."

"A hare and a gluttonous ferret at last I heard" Volos replies, picking up the conversation quickly. He nods his head to the pair "A fire is welcome any day of winter. I was unaware this land would be so cold"   

Oz enters from the stairs, seemly having a little trouble as he over hears some talking "Then you surely would dislike the Northlands.....then I am starting to dislike winter anywhere, the cold always makes my knee hurt and slipping earlier and bumping into something didn’t help much either"   

Leon nods "It is colder other places, I am guessing you’re from the south?" He asks Volos.   

Benar smiles, "I grew up in the Northlands, trust me as Oz says if you find Redwall too cold you'd dislike them..." He smiles fondly, "Though I lived in Southward for several seasons too when I was a youngster, it took me a few seasons to adjust back to Redwall's climate."   

Volos makes a noise of agreement to Oz's talk of his knee, the cold wasn't helping Volos' leg much. He moves in close to the fire to properly warm up "Across the sea but I believe it to be further south than this"   

Oz sits down in the chair he usually sits in" I am guessing all is having a good day?"   

Leon nods "A fairly good day so far. No beasts in the infirm but one and they are recovering good, just need him to stay off the footpaw a couple more days"   

Benar looks into the flames for a long moment then reaches out to pick up the tongs and lifts on a new log, settling it gently into place, "That must have been a long journey, I have only been to sea once and I hated it."   

"My cart will not move through the snow, your winter appears intent to entrap me" Volos replies dryly to Oz but doesn't seem more than a little irritated by it and nods to the Abbot "Very long, it was unpleasant in its tediousness but I have known worse times"   

Oz listens "Seems snow is a little early this year, usually waits a couple more weeks. Least its only 3-4 inches."   

Leon says, "Winter isn’t always bad, well it does have its moments but the abbey is very very well supplied, we have a lot of logs for fire place and I think someone is even making some new blankets for winter"

Benar asks, "Well Volos I am sure we could park your cart someplace sheltered if that would help set your mind at ease? There are several places in and around the abbey that should be large enough for it to fit safely and keep it out of the snow for now."

Xander footpaw is still bandaged as he makes his way down the stairs. He has been stuck in the infirm for the past 3-4 days and now has decided to leave, besides not many go to the infirm to even say hi and he isn’t use to just staying in one place too long.   

"The problem is not in parking the cart, simply in getting it moving once more. If I wish to leave I must do so on foot, which is not desirable" Volos sighs slightly in irritation before eyeing the new arrival and with a small frown he finally retreats back from the fire to take a seat.   

Benar smiles at Volos and inclines his head, "Well you are welcome to stay here at the abbey with us for the winter Volos, everyone is welcome here in our halls."   

Oz nods, he then tilts his head as he hears Xander "Greetings Xander, decided to join us today?"   

Leon glances at the younger badger" How is the footpaw? You are being careful with it correct? You shouldn’t do too much walking just yet."   

Xander frowns at the questions before speaking "It’s.....fine. Just hurts a little but not as much as before." He finds a chair that’s still close to the fireplace but not too close to the others

Benar asks, "Well put your feet up and stay off it Xander please," He frowns, "I never did get the story straight just what did you do to your foot anyway?" He picks up the poker and stirs the fire, sending sparks up into the air brightly."   

Volos doesn't smile back, his response to the abbot is dry again "A sentiment that I have heard repeated many times" he eyes the badgers a little but seems content to sit and listen.   

Leon already knows, but he will listen still as he tries to relax in his chair.   

Xander frowns "I...ummm...wanted to learn to use the short bow and I...well shot my footpaw, and then someone yanked the bow from me and said it be best I learned something else, we were in the clearing....I also sort of...almost hit someone in the eye, it missed though and just got their cheek, and someone's...ear" He frowns, yep keep bows far FAR from this beast.   

Oz frowns as he listens to the story, but as he is about to ask more an order Sister whispers to him and he knows as he heads on upstairs to tend to the dibbuns as supposedly they are trying to make an indoor snow beast   

Benar drums his fingers on the arm of his chair and gives Xander a very long look, "I cannot say I approve of you learning weapons Xander but if that is what you wish do then so be it. May I ask who is teaching you? The champion? Zee?"   

Volos' eyebrow slowly raises at Xander's description of his accident. He snorts, almost sounding amused "The only beast more dangerous with a bow is perhaps your teacher, I do hope your champion would know to direct your practice to an empty area and away from ones feet"   

Xander frowns "It was this hare named Zolomon who...showed me the short bow. But it was like a short lesson and Uncle Zee is showing me how to use a sword...well somewhat, but he had someone helping me to learn  TO like to use a blade, and how to be quicker and ..stuff.......but I am not going near a bow again, but do still want to learn to use a blade and maybe one day wield grandfather's sword.   

Leon speaks "No one else got seriously hurt...I tended to them by the gatehouse a brief few moments and they went back home."   

Benar says, "I see, I think it would be wise to not accept lessons off that hare in future Xander, from what I have been told he is somewhat of a bad character. The Friar is in a right state about their conduct and behavior not that anyone will talk to me about it properly." He then looks at Leon and Volos and sighs, "Why does every beast want to run off and learn weapons."

Xander says, "Learning to use a weapon can be useful, and important. One could learn to protect another, but other skills are good to learn to , like how to heal or maybe use a camp fire. Like my Uncle...both of them, know how to make teas"

Volos shakes his head "I should like warning when you decide to train with the sword so that I may be elsewhere, just in case" There's another eyebrow raise for Benar "I am certain you must know the answer to that question. You live in peace, behind your walls and guards. The world is full of tales of heroes, none of them earned their name making dinners. Empires are built on wars and it is easier to fight for peace than live in it"   

Benar shakes his head and sighs as he turns to Volos, "I live in peace here now, I was young once and did the same as Xander, I ran away to the army in Southward of all places and only found peace and tranquility much later on in my life... sadly I can only dream of a world were fighting does not come naturally."

Leon frowns, "Well least they train in the woods, so that’s good and healing is very useful to know indeed."   

Xander frowns as he listens “I don’t plan to run away nowhere...just goanna learn to use a blade. Uncle Zee is a warrior and my Grandfather was and neither one of them was ever still not peaceful too"   

Leon says, "Yes they were.....peaceful, in fact your Grandfather become a Brother in the order before he died and....I know your Uncle Zee retired, I guess he is still training you for now?"

Benar says, "Well if you intend to train Xander, no need to sneak off into the woods like a naughty child. There is a training area behind the champion's cottage. Ask Zee to train you there, it would involve less arduous journeys."

Volos watches Benar for a moment before he responds "I tried peace once but merely found that authority had no place for those who disagree with its plans" he looks back to the other pair, thoughtful again "There is honor in following the history of one’s family"   

Xander frowns "Wot do you mean for now? He wouldn’t just stop....." He looks to Benar "I think you need the champions permission to go there "   

Benar shakes his head, "I am sure Magramba will not mind Xander, ask him next time you see him. I'd rather you were training there safely inside the walls especially in winter. It would be less far for Zee to have to walk."   

Leon speaks "Because...."He stops there as he seems to remember something, a promise in fact and then is quiet before speaking again "Well.....he is fairly old and....and...." He decides to shut up, he is not good at this and he best just let others talk.   

Xander nods, he frowns at Leon but decides to not push it as he nods to Benar "I can do that and Uncle Zee is a great teacher. He once said the more seasons you are the wiser you are and he knows like a lot of things and seen a lot of things too" He smiles "He also tells the best stories sometimes”   

Benar chuckles softly and smiles and stands up slowly, "Well I am glad that is sorted out, now then I should get going I need to meet Sister Laura about some paperwork."   

Leon watches Xander head off and sighs, he then clears his throat " Whats your advice Benar on...keeping quiet on some issues? Or if your busy we can talk at a later time."

Benar looks at Leon, "if it is business between yourself and a patient Leon... then no one has any right to know except with your patient’s permission."

Leon nods, "True...thanks Benar as I do think I should have a chat with someone soon." He stands " I will see you at dinner then Abbot Benar"   

Volos can read between the lines with the way Leon talks but he doesn't offer much help with the situation, merely nodding to the healer as he moves to leave.

Leon meanwhile heads to check on the infirm, and then to do whatever else he planned to do before dinner.

I play
Cota-grandson of Dorarose
Micco-Leader of the Gawtribe

Board footer