Redwall MUCK Forum

Redwall MUCK is an interactive, multiplayer text game set in Brian Jacques' Redwall universe.

Visit RWMUCK.ORG for more info!

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-11-05 08:05:06 PM

Ol'random
Website

Promotions, part II: DRINKS! - LP 11/5/19

Pvt. Cera,
Lt. Gregorian,
Sgt. Terrence,
and Cpl. Zolomon.

Immediately following the promotions:

Zolomon chuckles. "Work in de library cant be all that bad, right and if I had something important ta do I am sure he let me do that at least."

Giving a mock-severe look over his spectacles, Terrence replies, flatly, "You might say that now, corporal, but you don't know just how many things are there to organize and rewrite, wot!" The sergeant raises his paw, drink finished, clenching and unclenching his fingers. "I don't think I'll ever quite recover from the amount I had to copy from those dusty ol'archives, wot. But if you're so eager I'll be sure to mention it to the good recorder, wot!" Cracking a wide smile, he adds. "But I won't do that..." He winks. "...Yet."

Gregorian hehs at the question of whether he's off duty. "Well, technically the majah gave us all the day off so for tahday at least I suppose I'm just Greg...Though I may use the time tah catch up at the forge so...Mastah smith Greg for the day or wotevah title they've given it these days?"

"Master Smithy Greg?" Terrence offers, before shaking his head. "No - that sounds a bit, well..." The sergeant leans back on the stool as his glass is refilled. "What eveh I'm supposed to call you today, Mr. Lieutenant-Mastah-Smith-Gregorian, I think this'll be the last day I'll be able to say anything but 'sah' to you for a while yet, wot."

Zolomon listens as the two talk and gets his 2nd ale and drinks it slowly. "I wonder how soon new promotions get paperwork."

"Forge mastah?" Greg offers instead as he thinks about it before he shakes his head. "Sah seams a little easiah on the syllables. Though I had started tah like bein' called Sarge. Yah turn for that now, Sarge." he chuckles and rests back with his drink before laughing at Zolomon's question. "I'll give yah some right now if yah like, I've got a pile waitin' for me still."

A sudden look of horror briefly flashes on the 'sarge''s face, "Oh goodness." Terrence says, shaking his head, "Sarge brings to mind the likes of the ol'drill instructor - always thought it was suited to grizzled veterans like yourself, sah!" He adds with a chuckle, "Meaning no offense, of course." Taking a sip of his drink, he mutters to himself, more thoughtfully, "I daresay I'll be like that soon enough, wot. But I've got quite a few seasons to go before I can say I'm anywhere near being grizzled or a veteran. I'm still in my prime and will be for a while yet, wot!"

Zolomon tilts his head at the offer of paperwork, he seems to try and find an excuse to not accept it and then speaks, "So..paperwork could be from blooming any division or..just ya own?"

Cera peeks her head into the room, she needs a break and decides to slip into here for one..what she washed a lot of dishes and dried dishes and even did a lot of sweeping, a break is good right?

Gregorian raises his eyebrows and looks amused as Terrence digs himself a metaphorical hole. "Old, grizzled and out of my prime. Yah really paint a picture there." It's a pretty accurate description of Greg to be fair. He has been in the patrol longer than most of the privates and quite a few of the officers have been alive at this point. He gives Zolomon a shrug. "Much like bein' a private yah do wot yah told but when it comes tah things like trainin' yah get tah help out...I'm sure Terrence can teach yah the ropes, I skipped the Corporal job myself."

The new sergeant can only offer Greg an apologetic smile, fully aware of the hole he's dug for himself. "To be fair, sah, I'm sure you said the same when you were my age, wot!" That may have made everything worse, so he adds a wink for good measure, thankful for the slight change in subject. "Yes and no, corporal. Depends on who tells you to do what, really." Terrence says over the rim of his glass. "Either way, you'll be doing some of the work for both the good lieutenant and I, wot! Or at least making sure that the privates get their reports done in time - and are legible, of course, that's the absolutely dreadful part of your job now, wot." He sees Cera out of the corner of his eye, but doesn't comment on wether she should be out and about free of probation, yet.

Zolomon nods. "Of course...like if you have too much paperwork, do some of yours maybe and look over reports of  privates, got it." He notices Cera but doesn't say anything to her, he isn't sure what division she is in even now.

Cera sighs as she is seen. "So..hallo...what's going on anyways, ummm..I can be in here right?" Maybe not but her room is boring as she goes to sit down, she chuckles at paperwork. "I have no paperwork..."

Gregorian raises his eyebrows at Terrence. "Well I just don't know if I can remembah back that far, it was such a long time ago." he jokes, thankfully taking his age well. He nods along to the description of the corporal's work before his attention is directed to Cera, "Are yah currently supposed tah be somewhere else?"

"Don't worry, Zolomon, I won't be that evil to you." Terrence is rather glad Greg took it so well. His drink finished, he turns it over, cutting himself off. The sergeant glances over at Cera, saying, "If I remember, sah, Cera here was recently under house arrest for all the stunts she pulled during training, wot. Don't know how long it was supposed to be for, though..." He'll let his superior deal with the issue if it has to be dealt with, but... "Well, sah, technically we and the corporal are all off duty so it might not be our problem to deal with, wot!"

Zolomon looks over at Cera, he wasn't there when Cera was given her punishment so he can?t really put in a word about it. His attention instead goes over to the Lt. and the Sergeant. "Yes sur. Understood. I am willing to do some paperwork today if needed sur, just let me know if any needs done and I shall do some. I also plan on helping some privates and recruits with archery training as well sur, if that's ok with both of you that is." He will wait for a reply to his questions and give his full attention to the other two officers.

Cera frowns. "Not like I am going off to Halyard and..my room is boring, wot am I supposed ta do like..stare at the walls when not training?"

Gregorian sighs heavily at Cera's response. "That is not an answah tah my question. Yah have been punished. By his lordship no less. It's not supposed tah be fun and yah don't get tah decide when yah don't feel like doin' it anymore. So long as yah in the patrol yah do wot yah ordered, no mattah wot that is. That is somethin' that yah need tah get used tah again...Now, I have been given the day off so I'd rathah go spend it with my daughtah than have tah sit around makin' sure yah doin' wot yah supposed tah be doin' so if yah ordahs are that yah supposed tah be somewhere else right now then go. If not then pick up a broom and start sweepin' here."

Terrence looks the corporal over. "Actually, Zolomon..." He begins, resting an elbow on the bar, "If it's fine by the lieutenant here, I have some ideas about the training- wait to train till tomorrow and just relax while you can today, corporal." The sergeant smiles. "Take that as an order, wot. Also, I know you're quite the expert when it comes to bows, however I'd like you to start training with the recruits and privates with slings and javelins. Bows and arrows are great when they're used by some beast like yourself who knows how to use when, but arrows are hard to come by when one's out and about patrolling, and can run out if you aren't careful - and they're bloody well difficult to use, wot! Stones are everywhere, and easier to transport to boot! I expect you won't have any trouble becoming a crack shot with a sling like you are with your bow." While the bespectacled hare didn't like her tone or choice of words, he says nothing on the subject, letting Greg handle it.

Zolomon nods and gives his full attention to the sergeant, "A day off sounds great sur, in fact very good." He smiles and grins at the mention of longbows, he thinks quietly before replying again, "I can train the privates with slings sur and try out javelins as well." He clears his throat, "Your right though, knowin' how ta use other weapons is a good idea, like I do know how ta use a saber, though I do plan on getting better skilled with it. Maybe tomorrow after some morning training drills we can discuss training ideas then?"

Cera folds her arms over her chest and mutters to herself, "Get a broom and sweep..talk about bossy." She then just sits down, the broom is, well, not gotten.

Gregorian presses his fingers to the bridge of his nose and sighs heavily as he closes his eyes. He sets aside his drink and gets up, heading towards Cera and looking irritated. "Get up. I was havin' a good day until yah and yah attitude showed up. I don't care wot yah problem with followin' ordahs is this time. I gave yah an option that didn't involve returnin' straight back tah yah room when I didn't have tah so yah can eithah do as yah told or yah can get reported for insubordination again. I frankly don't care which and don't want tah deal with yah."

"Exactly my thoughts, Zolomon." Terrence says in a warm voice, nodding. "And while we're both out of uniform and off duty you can..." Having heard Cera's remark, he starts to trail off. "...Call me..." He stands even as she sits and Gregorian tells her off. "...Terrence." Finishing slowly, he turns to face the healer fully, his face unreadable beyond a slight twitch of his eye. "Private." The tone is cold. "The lieutenant suggested it to you, and is being rather kind right now, wot. Not what I would refer to as 'bossy'. However." The sergeant is now glaring at her over his spectacles. "I'll be bossy to you now: If you're supposed to be staring at a blinkin' wall you will bloody well sit in your room and stare at it. If you're told to sweep, you sweep. And when you talk back - like you just did - you can sweep this entire mountain." Walking over to the broom he grabs it, shoving it towards the healer. "Get to it. While Lt. Gregorian left it open, I will report you. Understood?"

Zolomon nods and now also looks over at Cera, but he lets Terrance and Gregorian handle the Private, but he does pay attention still as since he is a Corporal now, he will need to deal out punishment at times most likely. He stays quiet and alert as he watches, listens and learns.

Cera ears fall to her back as she has way too much attention now and slowly stands up.She frowns as she takes the broom. "Sweep...that much sur?" She quickly decides it's unwise to talk back as instead she just nods. "Yes..sur...right away, sur." She backs up a little, a deep breath and then starts sweeping the room she is in first.

Gregorian has a habit of giving second chances, it's something he's currently reconsidering as he gives the Terrence a single nod of approval after his threat. He nods once to Cera "The entire mountain." he agrees with the Sargent's orders. He watches her make a start before he retreats back towards the others. "With that evening spoilin' note I am goin' tah pick up a new uniform and collect my daughtah...who will no doubt be bettah behaved than some patrollahs." he mutters as he heads for the door.

Letting out a long sigh, Terrence watches her sweep for a moment or so. "Well, good luck, sah." He calls after the retreating lieutenant, before going back to the sweeping hare. "One more thing, Private Collins," He uses her last name, voice softer and calmer, "Do you understand why you've been punished?"

Zolomon watches Gregorian head off before he speaks, "I hope he finds some time to relax." He glances over at the other two, he is still gonna relax the rest of the day and likely get up early to see what paperwork he can maybe help out with.

Cera sweeps quietly but does reply when she is questioned "For..backtalking and mumbleing." She says quietly, she will sweep the whole mountain and likely have sore arms, and go to bed late tonight only to have to wake up for morning training, but she is ok with that she just has to get this grumpiness gone best she can anyways.

"And for disobeying orders and pushing your fellow hare, remember?" The remark doesn't have much bite beyond the words, especially with the sigh given by the sergeant. "The reason those three things got you in trouble, Private Collins, is because our job - yours, mine, and Zolomon's - is that of a patroller. We aren't some spineless militia from the woods, we're the Long Patrol of Salamandastron, and that means something. We have to be ready to fight at a moments notice - while you do like training and all that, Collins, that isn't enough alone to keep you alive in a battle. It doesn't matter how great a runner, fighter, or healer you are if you're alone. You need the other hares here as much as we need you - and pushing, back talking, and all the rest doesn't help that bond at all. It's only by working together that you -we- can be a good patrol and live through a fight, wot." Eyebrows furrowed, Terrence leans on one leg as he looks over his spectacles, "Do you understood that, Cera?"

Zolomon finishes his ale and stands deciding to offer some advice. "Together we stand, divided we fall." He keeps it short and simple.

Cera frowns, then nods. "Understood, to try and get along with everyone and not push them away. I..I guess being alone for  like 4 seasons, got to me..sur...surs" She looks away and then back up "I'm..sorry." That took a lot from her, but the words got out ."I will try my best to do better."

Nodding in agreement to Zolomon, Terrence looks at Cera with more concern now than anger. "I can imagine it would - did you know I was stationed by myself out on some rock for nearly seven seasons? Back when I was a private." Another sigh comes from the sergeant. "And you survived the disaster in Mossflower. I accept the apology, and thank you, Cera. I fully expect you will- as for the sweeping, you can just do the three main levels. Avoid the cellars - sweeping down there won't do much good, at any rate, wot. Afterwards," he adds, giving her an ever so small smile, "I suggest you should please apologize to Lieutenant Gregorian for today and all the other times you may have said something to him - he works harder than the two of us, wot, and doesn't deserve any more headaches. He's a very good hare, if I do say so myself."

Zolomon frowns remembering the events that happen in Moss flower, he likely seen more than some of the other hares did. He speaks quietly, "Greg likely needs less paperwork too. I think I will offer my help, in the morning after some training drills and after we speak Terrance." He looks at the hare maid and speaks again, "It...may not seem like it now but things will get better, even if it's slowly, things will get better."

Cera nods again. "I..I will, or least will try and tell him I am sorry, he seemed fairly...upset with me." She will wait till she is dismissed and finish sweeping in here before she heads off to other rooms and levels.

"Well, Zolomon," Terrence plops himself down next to the corporal once Cera leaves, "I think I need another drink - you want one too?"

Zolomon watches the hare maid sweep and then turns to Terrance and smiles as he sits down "Sure, why not"He chuckles, "I will have ta get use to being a Cordial now, but for now time to relax and have a good ale."

"Ale, cordial, scotch." Terrence passes him a glass with a wry chuckle. "I suppose you should. I need to get used to being a bloody sarge now, wot!" As he takes a long drink from his own, the sergeant casts a sideways glance at Zolomon.  "Say, you were part of those Mossflower beasts that came with the one-eyed badger that came here the summer before last, right?"

The new corporal  sips his ale, the 3rd one he has had today and looks up at the question when asked. "One eyed...OH! " He smiles. "Xandy...yeah, wot about him? And yeah me and like, let's see...3 others came up for help to defeat Ormaz and his group."

Terrence shrugs. "Nothing, just seeing if my memory serves me right. Ormaz was the beast all our hares died at war with, right? I was one of the hares who met you lot back then." Downing the rest of his drink, he sets down the glass, turning to the corporal. "If I'm being honest, mate, I daresay I didn't think much of you when I first saw you back then - but now I'm glad we'll be working together, wot."

Zolomon thinks back on that time and sighs a little remembering some friends, he then smiles. "Guess I have matured a lot since joining de Long Patrol. I was a good archer and fast runner even then." He smiles at a thought.  "I  do miss Mossflower, but I am glad to be in the Long Patrol and would never dream of leaving it."

"Well, that's good, eh?" Terrence says with a light snort. "We need all the help here we can get. You mentioned using javelins for training, wot, and I wanted to say that you should use them - I think every runner should know how to use slings and javelins, alongside some blade of some sort. A knife or dagger or even sword, wot! I'm not one, so I'm not sure which is best for the act of running itself, though - I imagine you want to keep light, right?"

Zolomon nods as he listens. "Ya can throw a javelin so maybe a runner, runners can be quick on the foot paws. I am best with de longbow and." He admits, "I do need to work on saber more, and as ya said sling is fairly easy to use."

Nodding, the sergeant looks down for a minute, thinking. "I think another thing to work for every hare - runners, fighters, and healers - is how to use a spear and dagger. You can focus on the runners with the slings and javelins and sabers, but overall I think every hare should at least know how to use the two basics, wot - and maybe I'll spar with you to show how to use a proper blade." Terrence adds, after a beat, "If you want to, of course."

Zolomon nods. "Sparing would be good, yes. I have not spared in a while and good use some more training with a blade I believe." He frowns. "Been a couple fights where I likely could have done better had I better trained with a blade, guess got to liking de long bow so much only trained with it most of the time when came ta weapons, hmms maybe Xandy could use some tips. I mean he is a great leader of the Moss flower Defenders, and I am sure he is still doing great but everyone can always use some tips and knowledge from others."

"Indeed." Terrence replies, "I'll be sure to spar with you at some point or another - if I ever have free time again, that is. It's been a long time for me as well, used to be quite good with a rapier, wot."

Zolomon offers a smile. "I am sure time can be made for sparing, tis important after all."

With a shrug, the sergeant starts to stand, saying, "Perhaps it can." Terrence brushes himself off, rolling his neck. "Well, its been good to talk to you, Zolomon, but I've got a book I'm been meaning to read." As he leaves, he calls over his shoulder, "And congratulations on being corporal, corporal!" With that he exits the scene.

Last edited by Ol'random (2019-11-05 08:06:34 PM)

I play Atticus, John, Lossow, Terrence, and Spruce
The Long Patrol Landing Page!
Usually on the MUCK Saturdays + Monday & Wednesday evenings if I have the time
Fastest way to reach me is via my Discord: Luke_SkyOtter#1438

Board footer