Redwall MUCK Forum

Redwall MUCK is an interactive, multiplayer text game set in Brian Jacques' Redwall universe.

Visit RWMUCK.ORG for more info!

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-10-20 02:06:43 AM

Ol'random
Website

'Erg' the Blog-Slayer, Greatest Fighter of the Cage - LP 10/19/19

All hares, 'cept the toads spoofed by myself.
Private Cera,
Private Dominik,
Sergeant Gregory,
Corporal Terrence,
and Major Varus.

Following the disastrous survival training...

The majority of the hares had been taken back to the mountain but with some still missing and with the toads the planning for a rescue mission was underway. Greg had barely stopped in the mountain long enough to report before he'd been back out. They'd set up at the dunes by the edge of the swamp and he was currently standing on top of one of the dunes, watching the marshlands with a frown and waiting for some scouts to report back.

Cera has been around to help with any healing needs, she had gotten away, barely gotten away, but got away from the toads "Never wanna bally well see toads again." Another Private, a Mel agrees, he had only escapes and was just found  maybe ealier this morning, cause he trips and just played dead as too many toads at the time was between him and the others, he had wandered into camp looking like a mud monster till they  quickly ID-ED him as a hare.

Gregorian has a list of the missing, he was happy to cross one off and had the scouts do an extra sweep to check for any more hiding out as they search for where the toads are keeping those that were captured. His ear turns to the conversation and his frown deepens though he doesn't take his eyes off the swamp "Yah goin' tah have tah if we're goin' tah get everyone back"

Cera turns and gives a nod "Understood sur...but how, like attck in the daytime?" Toads are less active in daylight right? Toads is one thing she didnt read up on, just heard of them and howw they like to keep slaves and sometimes get bored of them and  kills them."They couldnt of gotten too far, could they?"

Gregorian finally looks at her but it's to shoot a frown her way. He's been extra serious since the attack. A small huff and he looks back to the swamp "Toads, frogs and the like slowest when it's cold. Day is the worst time. Stealth, sneak in, sneak out is the best option tah avoid anothah battle and furthah casualties...but I'm sure the officahs will have their ideas and ordahs tah follow"

Cera ears go flat, she nods "I'm..sorry I should read  more on things tlike toads and such. Been  more concerned with  training with my dirk and the exercise drills  than reading up on some things like...swamps, reading is  sort of boring"Yes she can read she just dislikes it, she rather read something exciting than just facts."Wot will I be needed ta do sur?

Gregorian hackles raise and he looks angry when he turns back to her. He's in a mood and apparently easily angered today "Readin' is borin'. Yah excuse for ignorance is that readin' is /borin'/. This purposeful display of ineptitude is wot yah decide tah display tah yah superior officah with the excuse that it's borin'? Yah in the long patrol. Do yah think all there is tah it is swingin' around yah blade and doin' a few sit ups?"

Cera takes a deep breath, but she  manages to, just barely hold back an urge to yell at the  sargeant.She does glare slightly  as she listens to him, "I am sure others  think it boring too...and training ta fight is important..sur"She shakes her head "I surrived fairly well on me own without...reaading too much, why read anyways?"

Gregorian glares back firmly "I don't care wot they, yah or anyone else thinks. If yah told tah read every book in the mountain yah do it. Yah keep on yah back talkin' and I'll have yah doin' just that"

Cera rolls her eyes and muttters something about  how higher ups are just  bossy and rude.She has had a bad couple days so her short temper is  starting to show, she did push a fellow private into the  mud  yesterday while hunting those stones after all. Private Mel has decided to get far, far away to..oh look they may need help cooking what ever that green stuff is today,  he is sure its...sort of eatable.

Gregorian remembers her actions yesterday and had considered the matter closed but he's rethinking that. He steps over, getting closer as he caught a little bit of that muttering "Do yah want tah repeat that loud enough for everyone tah hear?" he asks, his voice raising.

Cera looks up at him as she had started to walk off and sit elsewhere , she folds her arms over her chest seemingly refushing to repeat her words, "Can I..go now..sur?"

"I did not tell yah that yah were dismissed" Greg barks out when she started to walk away. He narrows his eyes at her as she folds her arms "How yah have reached private with yah attitude is beyond me but if yah keep this up I'll see tah recommendin' yah be bumped down tah recruit since yah clearly have no concept of followin' ordahs or respect for the chain of command"

Cera tenses up a little, "Why are you so bossy and rude.."She  then cups a paw over her mouth, it slipped out too late for her to do anything as the ears flatten and she KNOWS she is in trouble as she takes a deep breath "I'm..I'm sorry sur..I didt mean to sur" She got through  training yes, it was  likely barely as she finished a season after  others in her class did, she had good healer skills so maybe that helped, and she has good balnce and  quick footpaws to avoid danger, maybe a little work on the dirk but she is fair with that skill and still learning, sling very good..arrows are a no as she might hit a knee or a foot but not  much  vital on a vermin she would just slow them down, and climbing she is excellent at...tempe?...ummm thats a no, she is not always good at controling it.

Gregorian looks even more annoyed but it's her quick backpedaling when she realises she said the wrong thing that keeps him from blowing up "Yah dismissed. Go back tah the mountain, I don't want yah out here"

Cera ears  stay flat, well at least the y are on the dunes just on the outside of the swamps so its not a bad walk back, she nods and stands up straighter, a salute as she says "Yes sur..right away sur" And then she turns to make her way back slowly, a sigh...this will be such a fun report to make when she is asked why are you back here for.

Gregorian hasn't moved much all day. He's tense and in a bad mood. They've set up a base of operations among the dunes just outside the swampland with just seasoned patrollers, all the recruits were safely back at home. He stands where he has done for the last few hours. On top of one of the dunes, watching the swamps and waiting for news from the scouts.

A corporal is using his spear to aid him in standing, though he's doing better than usual. Terrence's face is still bruised, but he is alert and ready, looking out towards the swamp lands. He's a bit wary of the sergeant and his bad mood, but he's in a bit of one himself - the loss of many of the recruits has sunken in, and the hare is worried that the worst might befall them.

"Starin' out at th' dunes won't make th' scouts return any fastah, wot." Varus joins the other two hares standing on the dune. "They'll be back when they get back. As f'r you, Corporal, y' shouldn't be standin' so long in yahr condition..."

Gregorian is thinking and dwelling on it. It was his idea so naturally he considers it his fault and the report he submitted before immediately returning to the area claimed responsibility even if they didn't know the full extent of what happened to set everything off yet. He doesn't respond to Terrence's presence at first but Varus' voice makes him turn and his normally relaxed salute is sharp today "Sah!" there's a pause as he frowns "There doesn't appear tah be anythin' else tah do but stand guard and wait sah"

With a meek laugh following a salute, Terrence nods. "I know that, sah, but I'm doing fine, well, as fine as I can be!" The hare turns to the major, looking at him instead of the swamp. "And I feel like if I were to sit I'd just get sand in places I'd rather not, wot." Dipping his head to Gregory, he adds, "And like Sarge says, we don't have much else to do, wot, sah."

Varus shields his eyes with a paw as he peers out. "'Ow long 'ave th' scouts been gone, Greg?" He shakes his head. "I suppose yahr right, though. Jus' th' thought o' our 'ares bein' in th' clutches o' those foul slimy beasts..."

Gregorian sighs heavily at the question and starts looking back to the swamp again "A couple of hours. They had a runnah check in about lunch time though. They know where the toad's village is but not where they're keepin' everyone..." he says before muttering "Assumin' they're even still alive" as his shoulders sink with a quieter sigh.

Watching his superiors interact, Terrence gives a sideways glance to the sergeant. "Sah, I'd have some faith in some of them, at least. I doubt Private Dominik or Corporal Felicity would get themselves killed. Though I don't know about the others, wot..." He leans on his spear, gazing back out at the marshlands. "If I may be so bold to ask, Sahs, why did the blasted toads capture beasts instead of just slaying us?"

Varus harrumps. "Dominik bettah not be dead, or I'll kill 'im mahself. 'E's mah best brawlah, wot." He turns to regard Terrence. "An astute question, Corporal. Toads are savage. They don't always take prisonahs, but wh'n they do... Well..."

Gregorian takes a deep breath and tries not to continue with the thought of everyone being dead or he at least tries not to keep voicing those thoughts "I doubt anyone has evah got close enough tah a frog tah figure out why they do anythin'. Might be like vermin and they want slaves or somethin'"

"I see..." Terrence looks down at his feet, shifting them restlessly. "That wouldn't be surprising, sah, the lot being like vermin. I daresay the toads and whatnot wanting slaves might be better for those captured than the alternatives, wot."

Varus harrumps again. "Back when I was yahr age, Terrence, I was a Corporal, too. An' I was a 'othead." He grimaces. "I was 'ead of a small scoutin' expedition. We stumbled across a group o' toads... We coulda been bloody well massacred, wot! But... I managed ta get my troops out wi' only one casualty... But I have nevah, t' this day, forgotten th' toads' brutality, wot..."

Gregorian's frown returns and deepens "The toads weren't suppose tah be there. It wasn't even near their village. No one saw them get out tah the woods...it should have been safe" he complains. He's still not sure what went wrong, he'd thought he had everything under control.

"Well, sah, doesn't change the fact that they were there." Terrence shrugs, looking back at the two officers. "There's no plan that survives the first contact, wot. Just so happens we've had bad luck the past few days, eh?"

Varus glances over at the Sergeant. "Greg... Nobeast blames y' f'r this. I certainly don't... Neithah does Lord Ciocan. Yahr one o' th' most respected officahs in th' mountain, wot." His demeanor lacks its usual hardened, gruff edge. He respects Gregorian almost more than any other hare in the Patrol, despite outranking him. "Don't be so 'ard on yahself, alright? That's an ordah..."

Gregorian continues to frown but he doesn't argue. After all, it was an order. A little huff and he looks back at the swamp again "We just have tah get them back"

Terrence gives a smile at that, his left canine tooth missing. "Won't find any disagreement with that here, sarge, wot!" He shifts the spear, readjusting his weight. "Though how many toads do you think there are, sahs? Or do we know if they're more active during the day or the night?"

Varus shrugs his shoulders and sighs. "I'm not th' biggest expert on toads, I'm afraid... There *are* likely t' be dozens, though. Not a force t' be undahestimated..."

Gregorian brushed up on whatever knowledge they had on the swamps and their inhabitants before the whole thing so it's fresh in his mind "It's hard tah know exact numbahs at any one time but the scouts are doin' a count so we should have a good idea when they return. The toads don't tend tah like the cold, yah don't see them out of their village in the wintah time...at least that was plan. I don't think a direct offensive is likely tah be a good ideah eithah way"

The corporal taps his spear. "Suppose not, sah. I imagine if we did that they might just go ahead and kill their captives, if they haven't, well..." Terrence trails off, biting his lip. "So when are we expecting the scouts back, then?"

Varus shades his eyes again. "Before dahk, most likely..."

Gregorian nods once as Varus answers the question about the scouts "If they're not back by then we have more problems" he grumbles. He finally glances over to Terrence "If we can sneak a for in, break them out and scarpah that would be ideal...though if yah don't mind me sayin' so yah look like yah could barely make the walk. Are the healahs goin' soft?"

"Now that I think about it," Terrence starts almost absentmindedly, rubbing his chin with a wince, "I think I've read somewhere that toads are more nocturnal, I believe, and they like the rain, wot." The corporal sits down on the top of the dune, facing the major and sergeant. "I think if we can get a dry day we could manage it, sah. And I'll be fine soon enough, sarge! It's only flesh wounds, these are, wot!" He pulls himself upwards with his spear to stand on his two feet to prove his point, though the hare does wobble ever so slightly. "See, nearly perfectly fit as a fiddle, sah!"

It had taken a few hours after being dragged back to the toads' village before Dom had even begun to stir; the large hare had taken a beating that more than likely would have slain any beast smaller and weaker than him, and so when his eyelids finally stir then gradually open, he finds himself staring at what appear to be....bars...of some sort? Wooden bars, as if forming some type of...cage? Huh. It takes the hare a few groggy moments to begin to recall what had happened the previous day, and the reason why he is in the spot he is in. Lifting his head gingerly, his expression a confused one at first, it shifts into a pained one as the ache in his skull begins to pound. He rests his cheek back down on the ground again after a moment, his face a mess of dried blood and bruises, lumps dotting the space between his ears, and the back of his head as well. He appears to be alone, his comrades more than likely stashed away in a separate location, though he is slightly aware of being watched from outside the cage. By many, many pairs of eyes. Creepy, toady eyes.

Varus eyes Terrence. "Ah, Greg, I made th' decision ta allow 'im t' come along, wot..."

Gregorian frowns thoughtfully at Terrence's words "Hm. I read of the cold part but I don't recall it mentionin' nocturnal...perhaps there was a second book" he keeps thinking as he watches Terrence's demonstration and he doesn't look entirely convinced but he nods at Varus anyway "If yah think that's wise sah"

CROAK, came a noise from nearby. It seems not all the pairs of eyes are outside the cage, with one large toad, a sickly pale color, standing on the other side of the pen. It croaks again, standing as if its about to launch itself at the big hare. The other toads are making noises themselves, though they are most hushed, waiting in anticipation. "Glurg?" The pale toad beats his belly with a fist, before roaring, "Glag!" Those watching break out in a chorus of croaking, jumping up and down wildly as they begin chanting, "GLAG-GLAG-GLAG!" The big toad leaps at the private with spittle foaming from his mouth, brining its' impressive webbed fists to bare.

Meanwhile, across the marshland, the corporal nods thankfully at the major. "Yes, thank you for that, sah." Terrence has stopped relying on the spear to stand by now, though he still favors his left leg over his right.

Dominik at least had enough wherewithall to roll in the opposite direction as he senses the bloated form leaping into the air and down towards him. He manages to roll away just in time before the pale toad crashes down right where he'd been lying a moment before. Knowing he is in danger, though not completely aware of exactly the reasoning behind it, the large hare manages to push himself halfway back up to his footpaws. Staggering, he uses the cage bars to tug himself upright, finally reaching his footpaws, where he sways dizzily once his eyes open again. He stares at the toad through half-lidded, swollen eyes, just hanging there on the cage for a few moments as his mind works swiftly to figure out what's going in. "...erg..."

Varus's long ears perk. He can swear he hears the distant croaking growing suddenly louder. "Mmm, call it a lapse in judgement, per'aps," he says to Greg. "I find I like this lad, though. Reminds me o' mahself at 'is age..."

Gregorian's ears perk too and twitch a little as he tries to decide if he hears something "Mm" he agrees with Varus "Wealth of knowledge...as yah'd expect from a hare who spends time in the library" he watches the swamp closely though everything appears to be normal "I had tah send Cera home by the by. She appeared tah be havin' issues with listenin' tah officahs" best to keep the higher ups informed.

"Erg? Erg?! ERG!" The toads seem to find that word hilarious, and many are soon jeering it at the hare, while others still chant, "GLAG!" But some toads are screaming out, "ERG, ERG!" as if they're rooting for the hare! The big pale toad, for its part, slaps its big bloated belly again, croaking out almost questioningly, "Erg blog?" before throwing back its ugly head and opening its massive mouth, "BlOG-GLURG, ERG GLAG!" With that, the toad tosses itself at Dominik, intending to crush him with its considerable weight.

Terrence casts his gaze down at the major's words, not sure how to respond to the compliment beyond a muttered, "Er, thank you, sah." However, to the sergeant, the corporal responds, "It was in an old report, I think, wot. Written before I was born, Sah! If there's a day that's both particularly cold and dry, perhaps that would be a good time to start from, eh? Of course, once we know where they all are, that is. As for that Cera, she was trouble even before we set off on the exercise - pushed a fellow private, she did, wot! Bad form."

Varus quirks a brow. He has to think about the name Cera. Is she in his Patrol? So many names and faces to keep track of. "Wot ho, bad form, wot... Somebeast'll give 'er a propah dressin' down, though..."

Dominik seemingly doesn't have all that much time to regain his bearings, as that strange toad he finds himself trapped with flings itself right at him again. He takes a couple of staggering steps to the side, moving just in time as the toad smashes into the bars instead of hare-body. Dizziness still quite prevalent within his skull, his vision blurs and fizzes, still trying to focus on one particular thing so he can get a bead on his surroundings. He stumbles forward a few more steps, trying to get a good distance away from his attacker so that he can steady his footpaws. Wasn't the first time he'd had to fight while battered and bruised...in the North, it was simply how they would train. His ears perk up as he hears the word he had uttered in confusion being shouted and cheered back at him. What a strange place, indeed. Reaching up a hefty paw to rub at his eyes, Dom gives a shake of his head, before slowly lifting his gaze to settle upon the toad. He steadies his stance now, his nose and whiskers twitching a time or two. "Erg," he repeats, his voice low and hoarse, though it still possesses that booming quality. It's almost as if it's his way of saying 'bring it on'.

Gregorian raises an eyebrow at Terrence "Hrm, no wondah I didn't read that. It's near enough impossible tah find anythin' specific in the old reports, I hadn't even tried" he nods at the bit about Cera pushing the other patroller "Yes. Thank you for handlin' that. I believe she was away for some time, injured aftah the Redwall incident but apparently though I am bossy and mean and readin' is borin' so wot's the point?" he wrinkles his nose "I'm not prepared tah deal with that out here tahday"

"Yes, well, was no problem, sah." Terrence replies, rolling his shoulder. "And if I were you, I'd rather not have beasts like that out here, either. She could get herself, or, worse, someone else killed behaving like that, wot."

The toad is too preoccupied with the ringing in its head after smacking the bars to follow up the attack. As it groans, the others are cheering and jeering towards their brethren, now, with croaks of, "ERG BLAG!" And, "ERG GlO-BLOG! ERG GLO-BLOG!" The pale toad finally recovers, turning with a slight wobble towards the hare. It glares daggers at him, letting out low, deep croak. "Erg-log-esh. Blog glo-erg." It taps itself on its chest again then points to the hare, suddenly screaming again, "BLOG GLO-ERG, BLOG GLO-ERG!" The crowd falls silent at the shout, watching intently as the big toad starts to circle the private.

Dominik had only really needed those few extra moments when the toad brained himself on the bars to get back enough awareness to realize that this is indeed a fight. Not really sure as to why, it doesn't really seem to matter to the towering hare the more he thinks it over. A fight's a fight, and fighting is what he loved to do the most. As the toad begins to circle, Dom does as well, in the opposite direction. He is measuring up his opponent as much as he is able with his limited vision, and he can already spot a weakness or two. Dom smirks at the shout, his voice rumbling low in stark contrast to the display put on by the pale toad, "...blubguts is loud, yes, but...loud...is not veapon." Biding his time, Dom continues to circle, giving the toad the opportunity to attack first.

Varus frowns. "Cera 'as been actin' erratically since th' disastrous mission t' Mossflowah... She may need counsellin', wot..."

Gregorian hrms "Well that's a job for the healahs and the mountain. Not for the heat of battle. We have enough tah deal with out here...Do yah hear the toads now? They're soundin' a bit uppity" if only he had any idea what was currently going on over there.

The corporal nods, slowly. "Hmm... Seems like that mission keeps coming back to bite us, wot." Terrence moves to rest one leg up atop the dune, looking out towards were sound could be heard faintly, ears up and perked as he listens. "I think so, sarge. Wonder what's up with them, eh? Though," he adds, after a moment or so, "If I might say so, Sah, I think she should be removed from active duty until it's all sorted out, wot. If Cera were to push a fellow patroller while in a battle, let's say, the result could be a small disaster on its own, wot wot."

"Blub-gah, loug...Ag-gon?" Some toads chitter to each other, confused by the words. The pale toad simply roars again, snapping its head down and charging full force at Dominik without really looking, disregarding its own safety. "GLURG-GLURG-GLURG!" The onlookers are working themselves back into a frenzy, especially now that the big hare looks ready to give a fight. "ERG! ERG! ERG!" Some chant, cheering the private onward.

Dominik is almost taken aback by how downright easy this is as the toad lowers his head and blindly charges towards him. Even with limited vision, the large hare can see him coming a mile away. It was his first mistake thinking Dom was simply like any other hare, and that mistake would likely cost him in a matter of moments. Almost nonchalantly, Dom steps to the side to avoid the reckless charge, and once the toad rumbles past him, he aims a solid kick towards the toad's backside, putting his full force behind it to try and send him flying facefirst into the ground. Or perhaps even right into the cage. Even an injured Dom is more than a match for a toad, and it is quickly beginning to become evident. Dom tries to avoid the reaction from the crowd, though he cannot help but find it amusing that some appear to be on his side? Weird.

Varus peers out over the dunes. "Their king probably found 'imself a perfectly loathsome female t' be 'is mate or somethin'," he replies to Terrence. "I believe those *may be* Toad matin' croaks... Like I said, perfectly loathsome."

Varus peers out over the dunes. "Their king probably found 'imself a perfectly loathsome female t' be 'is mate or somethin'," he replies to Terrence. "I believe those *may be* Toad matin' croaks... Like I said, perfectly loathsome." The Major doesn't bother to mention how he has any idea what toad mating croaks would sound like.

Gregorian frowns at what sounds like chanting "Wotevah they're doin' I'm sure it's not good, we need tah get them out of there soon" his nose wrinkles sharply at Varus' words "Thank yah majah for that thought. I'll be picturin' frogs slow dancin' tahgethah in my nightmares from now on"

"Oh!" The corporal looks green for a moment, his ears shooting down. "Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear..."
With a shake of his head, Terrence looks back up, a disgusted look on his face. "Do they really do that now? Ugh..." He shudders.

A loud crack rings out as the toad strikes the wooden bars at full force, slumping to the muddy ground below. Whether the sound was from the now bent wood or the large toad is yet to be determined. The crowd of spectators are absolutely silent for a beat, before erupting into cheers of, "ERG, ERG, ERG!" However, not every toad is cheering. Many morosely turn away from the cage, their faces dark, while others just stare in shock and horror at the fallen toad, who was groaning slightly. An exchange of food seems to be taking place, with those who supported the toad handing those supporting the hare berries and bark, with a few dead bugs here and there. But - the fight's not over, not yet, at least. The pale, grotesque toad manages to stir, pulling itself up by the now crooked bars with a moan. Drool and slime pour from him as he turns hate filled eyes towards Dominik, and those so upset before come rushing back. "Blog! BLOG! BLOG!" a chant slowly starts up again, with all eyes now on the two creatures.

Varus nods solemnly. "Aye, they do, Son. Best not t' dwell on it... The scouts'll be back soon, though, then we c'n make our move..."

Gregorian gestures suddenly at Terrence as he looks at Varus "See?! Yah broke the corporal!" he pinches the bridge of his nose "Ug, I can't stop thinkin' about it. I'm going tah go and write a note back tah the mountain about Cera. Let me know if there's any news but for the love of keepin' my stomach down lets nevah talk about that again"

Dominik counted on the toad not being completely finished by the headfirst dive into the bars, and so by the time the pale toad manages to stagger back up to his hideous webbed feet, the large hare is already right on him. More than likely too bad for those who rushed back thinking this in any way would be a contest, Dom uses those rough, hefty paws the way he had been taught, thudding them in a flurry into the toad's face with heavy, clubbing blows, aiming right for the eyes. He then aims a shot or two at the wide, pale belly, his full force put behind each of the punches. The hare means business, and woe be to anyone who happened to be in his way at this point in time. Namely, that poor toad. Not caring if the toad falls, Dom continues his onslaught, paws beating down and raining blows upon the unfortunate creature. He makes no sound while doing it, his eyes narrowed and fixed down on the toad, his ears perked and wiggling...the only sound is the sound of his paws thudding into toadflesh over and over.

The big toad is out by the second punch. By the time the hare hits its stomach and the toad violently regurgitates its last meal, with half of those watching very quiet, except for those laughing at the misfortune of their fellows. "ERG, ERG, ERG, ERG!" The chant grows and grows, continuing as the poor toad is pummeled into a blubbering mess of pale flesh and yellowish slime. Its twitching now, having stopped major movements by the seventh hit. Many toads who had expected another round of fighting turn away, almost as if they couldn't watch the horror anymore. A strong, repugnant smell rises from the pale toad, as well as sicking squishing sounds each time Dominik's paws connect with what is left of it.

"Have fun with that, Sarge!" The corporal, who is mostly recovered from the mental image, calls after Gregory as he leaves. "I don't intend to dwell on it, sah! Not on my life, wot!" Terrence, while ignoring the wild noises from the marsh, does look in the direction. "Though...don't they do that in the spring, after they wake up after the winter, wot?"

Varus rubs his chin. "Hrm. Y' make a good point, Lad. Greg's right, yahr quite well-read. A well-patrollah will go fahr, I always say. Still, those noises are... Curious. It would be prudent t' remain 'ere, but 'm growin' concerned..."

Dominik is quickly becoming covered in that yellowish slime the more he pummels the poor toad, and once that initial surge of anger passes, the large hare's punches slow until they finally stop. Breathing heavily, Dom raises himself back up to his full height, before reaching down and grabbing what was left of the pale toad in his large paw. Jerking it upright in a swift movement, Dom holds the dripping, stinking mess of toadflesh aloft, making a slow turn to show -everyone- what exactly he is capable of if they try him. "ERG!" he barks, his voice booming throughout the swamps, echoing ominously. Approaching the bars that had been dented by the toad's initial collision, Dom shoves his arm through the wider space made there, shoving the toad through and dropping the carcass outside his cage for all to stare at, before he turns and trudges back to the corner of the cell. He crouches there, swollen eyes staring out into the crowd with an icy gaze.

"ERG, ERG, ERG!" The toads echo the hare, before shouting as one, "ERG-GLOG, ERG-GLOG!" Several point to their to open mouths, seemingly wanting the private to devour his fallen opponent. The blob that is the toad is unmoving with the creature's head dangling at an unnatural angle. The toads who catch the stare are unfazed, instead chanting with all the more vigor, "ERG-GLOG BLOG, ERG-GLOG BLOG!" They are louder than ever, screaming out in croaky voice and jumping up and down, while food is passed between those who supported the hare and those who didn't.

Terrence ears shoot up at the increase of sound despite his best efforts, and he spares a glance towards the major. "Well, thank you, sah. As am I... They sound almost excited, wot!"

Dominik stares out at the chanting toads, it taking a few moments for the hare to realize what the toads are implying. The pointing-to-their-open-mouths thing is a major clue, however, and Dom sloooowly rises back up to his footpaws. He stumps slowly over towards the spot where he had dropped the deceased toad, the large hare staring down at it for a long while, his brain whirring as he tries to figure out how best to handle this. Finally, he crouches down, reaching a paw out to sink his paw into the yellowish slime coating the dead toad. Rising again, he smears it first down over one eye, and then the other, making identical marks...a grotesque type of facepaint, it seems. He then reaches out through the bars, attempting to grab the nearest toad who happened to stray too close...

The toads closest to the bars leap back, still chanting - others are confused, however, staring at what is to them a mad beast wasting food to paint his face... Soon the chanting dies out, though some nervously continue, "Erg, erg, erg..." before all falls quiet. However, one toad isn't fast enough, and starts croaking wildly in terror as the slimy paw grabs it. "ERG-DAL, ERG DAL!!" it shrieks out, doing its best to wiggle free. "ECK ECK!"

Varus harrumps. He squints. He thinks he can see one of the scouts off in the distance. Perhaps this may be an excuse to get some action. "Well, Corporal... Per'aps I shouldn't inflate yahr ego so much." He eyes the younger buck.

"Perhaps, sah," Terrence replies cheekily, "But you might not hear me complaining, wot." The corporal catches sight of the scout as well, "Though, in all seriousness, sah, I'll be careful not to let it go to my head, wot. Words are only words, wot. No offense, of course, sah!"

Dominik's muzzle creases into what can be best described as a sadistic grin, as he realizes he managed to snag one of the toads! It was a 50/50 shot either way. Fishing for toads was a success! His paw grips the toad in a firm, unbreakable grip, leering down at him. He had known what he was planning on doing the second he heard the toads chanting and pointing to their mouths, and so he draws the toad close to the bars forcefully. Slamming him a couple of times into the bars to daze him, Dom then leans his head down and sinks those massive teeth right into the side of the toad's neck. He jerks his head back with a strong motion, ripping backwards, more than likely trying to take half his neck with him, before finally releasing the poor unfortunate creature.

Varus laughs, in spite of himself. "I's say yahr incorrigible, Corporal, but that'd be entirely untrue." The old veteran turns away for a moment, gets lost in his thoughts. He wishes Adrian were more like Terrence, at least as far as putting up with the Major's company. But they barely get along. Shaking his head, he sighs, then waves his paw in the direction of the scout, who returns the gesture. The hare is making good time, and two others can be seen not far behind. "Looks like we'll soon learn wot's got th' bloody toads so excited..."

Ears perked up, Terrence watches the scout coming expectingly. "Well, thank you, again, Sah." The corporal says with a slight grin, "And I daresay its about time. Something to distract us from the toad sounds, wot!" He lifts his spear, adding to Varus' efforts to wave over the scout.

The scream from the dying toad falls on deaf ears. The rest are stunned into silence, staring with wide eyes and open mouths at the hare who seemingly is eating their kin, still writhing in Dominik's grip. A bystander croaks out, "Glog?" Others answer, "GLOG-GLOG!" They throw back their heads and cackle, starting up yet another chant even as the toad, now missing a chunk of his neck, gurgles and whimpers. "ERG-GLOG, ERG-GLOG!"

Dominik doesn't exactly end up eating that chunk of toadflesh he had ripped from the unfortunate victim's neck. What, how savage do you think he is??? Sheesh! Spitting it back out at the toads gathered nearest the cage, Dom gives the dying toad a hefty boot through the bars, knocking him away. He points down at the toad, before pointing a yellow stained paw up at the gathering. His expression is steely, cold, and rather frightening to behold, especially with the toadblood staining his features. "Erg." he replies simply, his voice low and just as icy as his gaze. He once again turns and limps back to his spot at the back of the cage, crouching there once again.

As the first scout nears where Varus and Terrence are standing, he throws a hasty salute. "Major Varus, Sah. We bring news." The Major nods. "Gi' yahr report, Private Benjamin."

Terrence remains quiet, waiting intently to hear what they'll say. He shifts one one foot to the other.

The toad back hastily away, letting out a sickly, Croak. The rest of the toads, confused as the hare spits and tosses his prey away, stare at him. Then, as they hear what the hare says, a few chortles can be heard. "Erg, BLOG-EG!" Some shout, before they leap on their injured comrade, tearing into it. They aren't eating the squealing toad, however, instead opting for biting and spiting out its flesh. From the mass of toads the same repugnant stench as the pale body next Dominik arises.

Dominik really doesn't seem to mind it in the least as the toads all leap onto the injured toad and begin tearing him to pieces. As a matter of fact, he simply sits back and watches with that cold and impassive gaze. Let them take each other out. It'd leave less for his comrades to have to deal with once they decided to make their appearances. After awhile, that little, sadistic grin begins to creep back upon his muzzle. It is a side of Dom that likely hadn't been seen before, and more than likely would only be brought out when absolutely necessary. Slumping down onto his bottom eventually, the injured and exhausted hare's head droops, eyes closing as the various aches and pains begin to show themselves all throughout his body. Once that adrenaline wears off, man...ouch.

Private Benjamin salutes again. "Sah. Th' warty blaggahds 'ave sev'ral prisonahs. We saw Felicity 'n' Zolomon. We think Dominik is bein' kept inna biggah cage by 'imself, but we didn't directly see 'im, Sah. Th' toads seem t' be conductin' some strange ritual, though. Even th' guahds f'r the prisonahs were takin' part... It...may be a sacrifice, Sah." Varus grimaces with distaste at that word.

The corporal raises an eyebrow as he looks at the major, "Well, that's bloody good news, wot! Some ours are alive... Though..." Terrence stops, hearing the shrieking croaks in the distance. "A sacrifice? Bad business..."

Indeed, one might say a sacrifice is taking place. The toads, having thoroughly ripped their comrade apart, part, leaving the body parts and little pieces of gore scattered on the ground. From behind them, a toad, smaller than others, comes barring a wooden platter with several large, fat worms on it, before depositing it within the hare's reach. "Erg-Glog, Erg-glog." Every toad begins to mutter amongst themselves, waiting to see what the big hare will do to the worms and small toad.

Varus harrumps. "Well, that does explain their agitation, wot. I 'ah heard seasons ago that frogs 'n' toads... Even lizahds, too, sometime conduct sacrifices of woodland creatures... I doubt they'd succeed at tying down Private Dominik, though... I don't want t' even think who it could be..." He frowns sharply.

At this point in time, Dom's energy has begun to dissipate, sapped by his fight and subsequent activities afterwards. Head drooping further, the large hare eventually begins to slooowly list to the side, before he finally slumps down to the ground. His vision goes black like a television being turned off, and soon enough he falls into unconsciousness, the plate of worms and small toad not even looked at or acknowledged as he lies there sprawled out on his side.

The small toad sits by the cage for some time, even as the majority leave once its clear nothing will happen. Some remain, hopeful 'Erg' will do something, anything, but they end up waiting for hours. The disappointed croaks of the bystanders is load, though it soon fades away. Their show ended, they go back to doing whatever toads do with free time when not watching fights.

The other two scouts eventually catch up, as well, and Varus directs the three back to the makeshift camp. Tonight, a plan of attack and rescue will be formulated. Tomorrow? Anything could happen.

I play Atticus, John, Lossow, Terrence, and Spruce
The Long Patrol Landing Page!
Usually on the MUCK Saturdays + Monday & Wednesday evenings if I have the time
Fastest way to reach me is via my Discord: Luke_SkyOtter#1438

#2 2019-10-20 05:56:25 PM

Montamillion

Re: 'Erg' the Blog-Slayer, Greatest Fighter of the Cage - LP 10/19/19

This was so much fun, haha. big_smile

“You will find joy, frustration and sorrow in your quest. Never forget that friendship and loyalty are more precious than riches...Happiness can be brief, but it knows no time in the land of dreams.”

Owner of: Monty, Dominik, and Grau

Board footer