Redwall MUCK Forum

Redwall MUCK is an interactive, multiplayer text game set in Brian Jacques' Redwall universe.

Visit RWMUCK.ORG for more info!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-10-30 10:59:46 AM

assassinrat

Pose Formatting

So, as someone who tends to write a lot and hates unformatted paragraphs, I wanted to ask the mu* at large for tips! How do you guys split up larger poses here? RW muck seems to lack the @emit and %r%r functionality that other mu*'s tend to have. I've scraped up against this a few times recently, particularly while running larger scenes or trying to involve npc's.

Is there an alternative here that works similarly, or am I stuck with guessing and multiple spoof commands? What's the community's opinion on larger poses in general? Are they offputting? Do you enjoy them? Does the fox talk too much?

Give me all of your opinions and tricks <3!

#2 2018-10-30 11:35:27 AM

Lutea
Website

Re: Pose Formatting

Same lament!

There's +paste, but I've always just stuck to multiple spoofing. I use Potato Mu*, and the double-windows make that easier, but unfortunately without a %r, it seems to be the best we have.

As far as opinions go, I'm old school and very much prefer the larger pose style. It's hard to get really invested in one-liners for me, personally, but I know that a lot of players on here prefer the shorter style. I don't think there's any issue in having different styles floating around, and there are certainly ways to compromise and co-exist! Feel free to drop me a p #mail if you're looking for some mega-posing, there is always a place for it!

Lutea, Aden, Samara, Mary, Nautch, Jinora, Kympa, Isla, Rionach, and Jion
Avatar is a free base from Ace_Coyote on FA that I edited over

#3 2018-10-30 05:27:33 PM

BlisaMarshmellow

I typed this on a touch screen device whose autocorrect I had to turn off, so I apologize for any and all typos (& I have typed that sentence so much, it'snow in the suggestions for what words to type next xD).

I use +paste a lot; I find it very helpful smile  the hardest part in my opinion is figuring out where to put the paragraph breaks tongue
M
As for short poses....I am in no way knocking long poses, but I would like to offer acdifferent perspective: 

Many of us newer players (&, it seems, those of who do shorter poses) have only a limited time online before we have to leave for whatever variety of reasons we have.  *glares at library closing times.*  And while long poses are great, think of how long it takes to type up each one.  10 minutes?  Maybe more?  I know that sometimes i only have 2 hours online, and if there are, say, 4 megaposers in the RP, I can get a pose inabout once every 40 minutes (I've sort of timed it....), so by the time i have to go, I've gotten maybe 3 poses in and the RP has gotten  nowhere.  While with shorter poses, the storyline advances really quickly, and I at least feel like I've helped accomplish something.  Again, I'm not meaning that ling poses are horrible, & I apologize if that seems to be what I'm saying.  I enjoy writing long poses and being in RPs with other megaposes as much as i enjoy playing with my friends who make small poses.  I just sometimes get a little frustrated when i only have so much time left and people are taking a really long time to pose. And then I'm tempted to avoid megaposers, which is just dumb and rude of me.  But i love playing with all the various styles of players and writing different lebgths of poses.

Also, sometimes my brain goes DERP and all i can come up withbis, like, "DoraRose eats her cookie and liste s intently." -_-  yeah, i feel REALLY brilliant with those poses ><

Again, i am deeply sorry if i knocked anybody down or talked bad about their writing style.  I didn't mean that at a.  All i wanted was to offer a different perspective.

I hope we're still good, and that we can RP and chat again soon ♡

#4 2018-10-30 06:30:43 PM

Lutea
Website

Blisa offers a really valid point! I think that it really is up to the situation, the players, and the scene in question.

Also I deeply apologize for anyone who roleplays with me on a time-crunch! I think that OOC communication at the start of a scene is very important for that reason. I try to let players know when I am working and will therefore be slower on poses, and it's also beneficial to know when someone only has a limited amount of time!

Again, it really just boils down to specifics. How you prefer to play, the kind of scene you want, and the kind of time you and the other players involved have.

Lutea, Aden, Samara, Mary, Nautch, Jinora, Kympa, Isla, Rionach, and Jion
Avatar is a free base from Ace_Coyote on FA that I edited over

#5 2018-11-01 01:13:28 AM

Dylan Locke

I use potato mu cliant.

It lets me do multi paragraph posts and in color (for myself)

#6 2018-11-01 10:37:30 AM

assassinrat

No worries Blisa, I posted this for feedback and opinions, so you're all good! And as has been said, you bring up a very good point. I hadn't considered time crunches. There's certainly a consideration for economy of words. I've found myself leaning into a lot of prose in other places which may not be to everyone's taste.

I may start asking people what kind of rp they prefer during a scene, since the styles are so very different. As Lutea said, goooo communication!

#7 2018-11-01 01:02:48 PM

BlisaMarshmellow

Thank you!  I have found that when I understand, I can have better respect and patience, so I'm glad I was able to help.

It's the most frustrating when I do communicate that kind of stuff before the RP starts, and no one acknowledges me or tries to speed up how long it takes them to pose.  Then I just want to cry.  So I would request in addition to communication, respect.  'Cause those people (not saying it was any of you guys; I honestly can't remember who it was)  were very rude. sad

Perhaps we should post the links for the clients we use on this feed just so everyone can see what everybody else uses?

Last edited by BlisaMarshmellow (2018-11-01 01:03:11 PM)

#8 2018-11-01 02:11:39 PM

aeysin
Administrator
Website

I'm into the idea of creating a new list of clients.

There was a list on the old site, but I'm not sure how many of those apps are still maintained.

I use Atlantis on my MacBook, MUSHclient on Windows, and tinyfugue on Linux.

Oh! And MUDRammer on iPhone.

#9 2018-11-01 02:13:16 PM

Karth Riverbark

wonder what could be on andrid phone

My spoofs:Atvi...and Alts=
Ewan Benjamin Delaney Tanner Mosswell Jahveri- LP Hare Fighter/Private and Residential Redwall Abbey Hare
Dearil-Archer/Fighter/Assassin in Blackrose

#10 2018-11-01 02:17:47 PM

aeysin
Administrator
Website

Oh yeah! Been a few years since I had a droid. I used BlowTorch.

#11 2018-11-01 02:21:56 PM

BlisaMarshmellow

I use this almost exclusively: http://www.mudportal.com/play?host=redw … me=Redwall It won't let me use semicolons (WHICH IS THE WORST THING EVER), and some people don't like the double posting of commands on there, but I'm pretty satisfied with it smile  I used to use Mudportal, but it doesn't seem to be working anymore. ;.; I use Google Chrome on Windows, and I just follow that link.  I have nothing downloaded 'cause I'm on a library computer half the time tongue

#12 2018-11-01 02:39:46 PM

aeysin
Administrator
Website

Blisa, if you use this link...

http://www.mudportal.com/play?host=redwall.realm.limitless.org&port=4203&name=Redwall&separator=

... it'll fix the semicolon problem. By default ; is used to pipe commands in the mudportal app, but adding "&separator=" to the end of the URL disables that feature.

#13 2018-11-01 02:57:15 PM

BlisaMarshmellow

Board footer