Redwall MUCK Forum

Redwall MUCK is an interactive, multiplayer text game set in Brian Jacques' Redwall universe.

Visit RWMUCK.ORG for more info!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-09-17 01:27:49 PM

Lutea
Website

Long Patrol Updates, Wot!

After discussion with Dagda, who has been regulating the Long Patrol for the last couple of years,  Riley and myself have decided to inherit the reigns, and move the group in a fresh direction. So! Riley's player and I (Jinora) are going to be putting in the work to re-organize things a bit and get some kick-butt TP's and plot fuel going for you rabid roleplayers. We'll be updating the website and group structure in the weeks to come and will be pushing forward with a few plot ideas that RP-starved hares may get involved with (including a spooky, Halloween-themed plot for October)!

Changes to come:
* Plots! Stay tuned!
* Overarching thematic shift (i.e. the understood 'state of the patrol and the mountain' that drives the feel and mood of scenes and plots)
* Re-Working the unit structure
* NPC list (just for spicing up scenes, placeholders for units that may lack 'critical' roles, or ideas for a future alt!)
* Some building updates
* AND MORE!

Want to get in on the fun? +skills apply l-patrol today! Please feel free to contact Jinora or Riley with questions or suggestions for the LP moving forward! Let's breathe some life back into ol' Salamandastron, wot wot!

- Jinora Shyluck Windbell-Totheim

EDIT FOR CLARIFICATION: this does not have anything to do with group control. The OOC regulation of the group has been neglected; there has not been anyone keeping track of the group's web-pages or the coded +skills group within the actual MU*. We are merely offering organization and plots that players may use or ignore at their leisure, since the webpages/rules/rank structure/etc. haven't been updated since the old website went down. Each and every player on this game has total creative freedom within the rules of the MU* and constraints of the Redwall universe. Any changes we offer are to make the LP more inclusive and exciting for all and affect ONLY those players or characters that wish to be affected by them.

Last edited by Lutea (2018-09-21 08:23:00 AM)

Lutea, Aden, Samara, Mary, Nautch, Jinora, Kympa, Isla, Rionach, and Jion
Avatar is a free base from Ace_Coyote on FA that I edited over

#2 2018-09-17 02:42:05 PM

oz

Re: Long Patrol Updates, Wot!

I know there has been some promotions..like  Felicity and Adrian  are corpials now and that was role played out. Also Zolomon will be a private soon...just not been abe to , well reapply to get these changes. But wouldt be fair if those didnt stay.

I play:
Brother Gorvenalus-Redwall Abbey Recorder,  Private Cole,a runner, of the Long Patrol
Oz( Yes named after Papa Oz) young adult and Novice in Redwall.

#3 2018-09-17 03:03:19 PM

Ximena

Tarsa- A drill sargent of sorts........a fighter hare.

My Alts
Ximena- Hamster- Slave(Rarely Connected)
Aella- Shrew-Log -A-Log of The Guosim 
Tarsa-Hare-Drill Sargeant in LP and Fighter

#4 2018-09-17 03:17:32 PM

BlisaMarshmellow

Felicity here.

Don't know if you've been able to read the logs and stuff about it, but we've actually started RPing the Long Patrol again, and we have the Badger Lord and a huge bunch of LP NPCs on a little journey to join in on the Redwall TP that's going on.  I've been trying to get everyone to work as a team to jointly figure out what we want to do with this group.  If you 2 would like to help us in making this a collaborative group, you're more than welcome.

I have been sort of in charge of the LP for the past few months; even though I try to include others in all of my decision making, people have been asking me for permissions for stuff, and when that started I emailed Otter about my being in charge of the LP.  He told me to just have fun with my friends, no one on the MUCK (except for him, of course) has any actual authority where they can tell others what and how to do things, and to tell him if someone tries to control others.  We have been doing things our way in our collaborative group.  If you want to join us in our collaboration, you are more than welcome to do that.  And you should know that Tarsa is a Drill Seargeant and Adrian and Felicity are now Corporals.  (I really need to change Felicity's desc to show that.....duh, me, on that....)

I hope we can have fun in a collaboration together, and that this can work out well and *to the enjoyment of everyone.  However, please know that if you do try to take over and make us do things your way and obey your rules....I'm emailing Otter.

(I hate it when I write something and don't notice the typos until after I've posted it ><)

Last edited by BlisaMarshmellow (2018-09-17 03:20:22 PM)

#5 2018-09-17 03:44:28 PM

Wanderer

Wanderer, aka Nightbreath/Emyuil/Zarok/Chud here, and formerly Feanor.  Although I may revive him eventually...anyhow.

Now, I haven't been active in the Patrol for quite some time, but as Otter, through Blisa, says, nobody but Otter has authority to tell others what to do. Therefore, we players are equals, and therefore the following opinion is equally valid as it would be if I were active in the Patrol:

I'm with Blisa on this one.  And it's generally considered common courtesy to make sure you aren't stepping on anybeast's toes before you try to make drastic changes to an established group/setting/faction/etc.  I don't know if you checked or not, but judging by the reactions in this thread I'd say not.  So, I'm not chastising you or anything.  Just giving some friendly advice.  This game is all about community and interaction; shouldn't we try to include as many players as possible?

Permission to take over a major part of the MUCK's setting, like the Patrol, should come from Otter, in my opinion, as it could impact many other players' experiences.  Just like we don't let just anyone become Abbot of Redwall, or Champion of Redwall.  Salamandastron and command of the Long Patrol are, I'd say, too weighty a position for a player to take it upon themselves to take up without the prior approval of Otter.  He has the final say on all matters that affect the MUCK as a whole. And on pretty much everything else.

Frankly, I hope this doesn't turn into an argument; I think Lutea and Riley's ideas may prove useful, and I'd love to rejoin the Long Patrol.  However, I'd rather stick to the established order of things rather than discarding or overruling the previous works of other players who have been keeping things going.

I'm sure this will work out.  But if needed, I, too, will email Otter for a firm judgement on the matter.

Wouldn't it be nice to take a walk on/some pure white sand/gaze at the horizon/without living in fear?
Wouldn't it be sweet to watch the sun curve down,/meet the waves?
And taste the ocean spray/and realize we'd been living as slaves...

#6 2018-09-17 03:53:20 PM

Foliosa

Riley here: Woah there! No one is coming in and telling anyone to do anything! The Long Patrol page hasn't been updated in ages, no one has really been around the mountain much at all (I've been active enough to see maybe a few logs up, but I think we can all agree it could use some more love), and we just wanted to spruce up some of the OOC neglect and implement some plots. Dagda was in charge of the +skills group (in charge being he monitored the skills applications and whatnot). We're not forcing you or your characters to do anything at all!

No need to threaten or get belligerent. No one can argue that the mountain has been pretty dead (aside from a few scattered RPs here and there from all of us) and the OOC group upkeep has been neglected. The list of players is horribly out of date and we just want to update it. We will be happy to list your characters names and ranks if you want to be included on the page!

Also, the badger lord has been around for a while. He's an NPC named Ciocan.

If you don't want to be involved with some of the plots we wanna run, then you don't need to at all. If you do, then great! It won't affect your RP at all. No one, like Otter said, can be in absolute authority. So we're going to do this with the hopes if helps out the activity levels. If you don't like what we do, that's okay! No one is going to force your hand on anything.

No one wants to hog all the toys here, and we hope you don't either!

#7 2018-09-17 04:05:01 PM

oz

Maybe the BlackRose try and start trouble with the LP.....my evil cat Melantha  is in charge and she is leaving Mossflower for now...she needs to go..well somewhere

I play:
Brother Gorvenalus-Redwall Abbey Recorder,  Private Cole,a runner, of the Long Patrol

#8 2018-09-17 04:06:18 PM

Elmef

Everyone here has valid points

But as Jinora and Riley say, they got Dagda to give them control of the OOC skills group so they could tidy it up a bit and make it more presentable and easier to use. It has long needed an overhaul.

I have spoken to them and I have known them both for as long as I have been on the MUCK.
They're not planning to impose order or take control from on high. So please do ratchet down the combative responses.
All they wish to do is present some new RP opportunities, run some fun TPs and help to bring more activity to the MUCK as a whole.

They aren't about to impose changes on anyone without some discussion across the group and as Otter says we are here to have fun together with our friends. So let's all try to work together here in the Spirit of the Redwall Series.

Taking a look at the rank structure and overhauling it to help people advance through the ranks more is a good task.
They're not about to do it in isolation and without talking to anyone so what is the harm in having a discussion about it. We have had a huge issue for ages that we can't get recruits and privates promoted as no one really knew how to make it work.

Jinora and Riley have a wealth of information, history and character knowledge about the MUCK and the fact they want to spend time porting the old, archived pages from the old website to the new one is amazing and we should be thanking them for taking the time. So let's all put our hats together and see what we can do to work together as a community on this rather then instantly getting hostile the moment someone suggests something.

Last edited by Elmef (2018-09-17 04:09:15 PM)

#9 2018-09-17 04:09:28 PM

Karth Riverbark

The only hare I have is Ewan but he isnt sticking around...and yeah Black Rose could try and cause trouble on western shores......isnt the Black Rose like slavers that Ormaz tried to take over?

My spoofs:Atvi...and Alts=
Ewan Benjamin Delaney Tanner Mosswell Jahveri- LP Hare Fighter/Private and Residential Redwall Abbey Hare
Dearil-Archer/Fighter/Assassin in Blackrose

#10 2018-09-17 04:11:21 PM

Karth Riverbark

Ewan isnt dying either...just not staying in LP..he is going, or plan to have him, be resident abbey lp hare..so hmmms...guess he still sort of be in LP but not like..active in it

Ewan Benjamin Delaney Tanner Mosswell Jahveri- LP Hare Fighter/Private and Residential Redwall Abbey Hare

#11 2018-09-17 04:14:57 PM

oz

Yeah Ormaz took over her slaver group...then tried to kill her and she barely got away....she is being smart and leaving the area, and she will avoid the 8.5 foot badger and his hares she isnt dum...then again maybe she is when she tries to maybe ......restart near western shores ...mhahahahahhahahh BlackRose will live!...just elsewhere....yeah tongue

I play:

#12 2018-09-17 04:18:57 PM

BlisaMarshmellow

Oz, Elmef, and I jointly run Ciocan, actually.  Otter gave us the password.

I'm not sure what Long Patrol page you mean.  The old website (rwmuck.limitless.org) is basically dead; I just tried to go there and I couldn't.  So what LP page are you meaning?  Or did you mean what Elmef said and you're transferring it to over here?  I'm confused.

#13 2018-09-17 04:23:12 PM

oz

There was an LP page on the forums before thse forums.....oj that sounds confusioning......anyways! they could make apage...somewhere on here, is there a groups section yet? Make one?...Say ok this is the ranks..so and so is here and sos and so is there and so and so is right here.....who is in charge of  who list guess...like these are healers...fighters....runners....ect ect......maybe name who is for sure NPCs...like Jimbo was an NPC...think there is a healer named Honeyfur NPC.....not sure of any others right now

I play:

#14 2018-09-17 04:24:21 PM

Wanderer

Right. thanks Elmef for clearing that up. I wasn't trying to be confrontational. It was more that I misunderstood the intentions of the post. I wasn't aware of what exactly was going to happen and I wasn't sure that this wasn't intended to overwrite the actions of other players. Which was my main worry.  I hope we can all come to a mutually agreeable outcome in this matter. If it's just a revival then I'm all for it. The concern is more about invalidating the works of others and/or doing things without agreement.  Again. sorry if I came off as combative. This caught me off guard more than anything.

Wouldn't it be nice to take a walk on/some pure white sand/gaze at the horizon/without living in fear?
Wouldn't it be sweet to watch the sun curve down,/meet the waves?
And taste the ocean spray/and realize we'd been living as slaves...

#15 2018-09-17 04:50:51 PM

Lutea
Website

Thank you for your apology, Wanderer. I understand that my original post could have been worded more clearly. We were very excited to get the word out that we had big plans in store because we thought it would be fun for all players. I like how you put it - a "revival", that is what we are aiming for.

Blisa: https://www.rwmuck.org/archive/groups/long-patrol.html

This is the website we are discussing - I have been going through every page to update it to current players. This includes removing a lot of the "rules" structure, because - as you have been very clear on - that is too controlling, and we don't want that. We also had planned to update rank structure to allow for more smooth organization, promotions, and simpler ranking structures without changing too much of what has been played since this game began. This includes moving the high-importance and often decision-making positions (such as Colonel) towards NPC or shared characters so that no one player feels entitled to too much power, which caused huge issues in the past. Literally everything we are trying to do is done to make this more collaborative and less of a power-and-role-grab group.

This is a very annoying and lengthy process which requires more html and digging through dead webpages than I would like to be doing in my spare time, but Riley and I are working hard to make this game a more fun and welcoming place. I have been playing here since 2004, Riley has been here since 2001; we love this place and while all of your new faces are fantastic and we love to see the roleplay you do, we want to see and do more!

Blisa, please understand that your response sounded incredibly combative and controlling, in contrast to what you were saying.

The Long Patrol is not ours, just as it is not yours. If you do not like any of the plots we start or organization we suggest, then you simply may ignore them. As you said: no one is in charge, and there is no rule that says you have to reference or acknowledge plots, situations, or characters that you do not want your characters involved with. We wanted to add a structure that players can use at their will to enhance their roleplay and do away with confusion. We are not here to tell you what to do, and I apologize if that impression was given. In return, we expect the same courtesy.

We had been really excited to contact you about a plot we wanted to tie into the hares in the Redwall TP, which is how all of this started. Let's keep the spirit of Redwall alive by treating each other with courtesy and embracing the creativity that others have to offer! We are going to move forward with plots, I'll finish the lengthy website transition when I can, and we welcome anyone to be involved as they see fit <3

Lutea, Aden, Samara, Mary, Nautch, Jinora, Kympa, Isla, Rionach, and Jion
Avatar is a free base from Ace_Coyote on FA that I edited over

#16 2018-09-17 04:53:49 PM

oz

Yes make a groups section maybe or just a post on role play chat....update on l-patrol list-ranks-ect.......

I like to see some role play on western shores too...some in halyard also

I play:

#17 2018-09-17 05:44:29 PM

KenyaAndJacenta

Yes...be friends...get along......and think Marek is in charge of the Fate of Marek TP. But that TP ends like around october 4th....then they will like...eat food and drink stuff, and whomever left the Mountain will go back, though some NPC hares will die so yeah...they wont come back:P....but once back..ya to some sort of TP at Sala..Sala needs a TP for once....GIVE SALA A TP FOR ONCE!!!

Oh and I am a private, healer smile Jacenta....go healers

#18 2018-09-17 07:52:33 PM

Karth Riverbark

Yeah lets have the LP have a TP..Redwall always gets them....lets have one on the western shores of some sort....maybe after the heros get back...heee..have a right fun feast LP HARE STYLE!...Yeah it will be so much cooler than Redwall's...then some sort of vermin problem....could be fun.

#19 2018-09-18 01:16:06 AM

Elmef

I am 100% in favour of Redwall not being invaded for at least a season tongue

I have a whole bunch of non-invasion/attack/vermin/slaver TPs i want to try out at Redwall and never quite get the time to run because there is usually another bad guy on the horizon.

So spreading out the fun across the map would be good. It'd be nice to see a TP happening at Redwall, at Salamandastron and other places at the same time.

#20 2018-09-18 06:47:18 AM

oz

Yeah
The villian at Redwall does get....old.

Other TPs that dont involve something bad at Redwall would be cool

Also Salmandastron does need some..action..maybe a slaver tries his/her luck there and yeah fails...but they could try.Some trouble in the villiage, maybe some threat that planed to go further inland and its stoped.  I am curious as to the plot ideas Riley and Jinora have.

Also I am sure Lord Ciocan would LOVE to slash some evil vermin foe with his war hammer and there was plots in the books where a vermin decided lets try and take that mountain away from the badger, which of course was stupid idea but hey...vermin ya know:P so maybe some people can make hares, bring back hares they have had and have some fun.....also the hares and badger lord I am sure want some more action when they get home...well after a little relaxing:P

I play:

#21 2018-09-18 07:16:52 AM

Karth Riverbark

Some non slaver...no takeover...no attcks for Redwall be nice and I would like to see some...shift some trouble over to Halyard and western shore. I have gotten rid of some characters...couple reasons. Yeah my hare Ewan IS leaveing the LP but maybe I will rethink on having a hare at Salmanastron, not Ewan it would be a different hare. I don't know yet...thinking still

#22 2018-09-18 12:50:55 PM

Ximena

Moving and updateing things sounds really cool...and a lot of work, good luck and hope all goes well smile. And I have a hare..Tarsa. So hare taken care of.

Evil on western shores...coool they need some share of evil also I mean..Redwall gets all the fun tongue

My Alts
Ximena- Hamster- Slave(Rarely Connected)
Aella- Shrew-Log -A-Log of The Guosim 
Tarsa-Hare-Drill Sargeant in LP and Fighter

#23 2018-09-18 02:06:56 PM

LeeJ

All I care about is Adrian staying a corporal because he was a private for WAY TOO LONG. And that got boring.

Characters: Lee, Lacota, Thomas, William, Adrian, Varus, Abel

#24 2018-09-18 03:01:21 PM

aeysin
Administrator
Website

Never been involved with LP apart from random RPs (usually on the side causing IC headaches for 'em), but it's always rad to see renewed interest in the Western Shore--or anywhere on the game, for real. Last winter Riverdale helped me import all public content from the dead Limitless/Drupal site to the wiki at rwmuck.org. Feel free to beautify any old Sala or LP pages there with updated info and styling, if that helps the cause. Also if General IC gets too busy and y'all would like group-specific boards on this forum--i.e., Redwall Order, Long Patrol--that's something we can figure out.

Edit: For that matter, feel free to update anything at all on the wiki. The idea was that the rwmuck.org/archive preserves 'historical' content from the Limitless site, while the wiki can be community maintained, so there's not as much need to make new pages each time a player moves on or takes a break from the MUCK.

#25 2018-09-20 02:56:50 PM

BlisaMarshmellow

I apologize, Lutea.  I automatically got into "fight mode" because I've had multiple players who have been around much longer than I have try to tell me what to do on here and how to do it.  Apparently, according to 2 of them (who aren't even RPing anymore now), it's basically against the rules for me to have my characters all be friends with each other.  I'm not kidding; they really were yelling at me about that, and for breaking "rules" that aren't actually rules and for which Otter told me that, if the people I RP with regularly don't mind, to continue RPing that way.  (That sentence seems awkward.  English is hard.)  I was trying to cut off anything like that ever happening again; I wasn't the only one getting in the way of these (and other) control freaks, and I don't want my friends to have to deal with that kind of crap.  While I do want a full collaboration (and to not be in charge of the OOC stuff, especially since I am computer stupid....and why were people asking me about what to do with their hares even though I hadn't said I was in charge?  I HAVE NO IDEA) where everyone gets to give feedback every step of the way, I can see that I came across very heavy-handed, and I'm sorry.  I did get the impression that you were trying to take over, and I see how what I said came across as an attack.  I also had already had a confrontation IRL, so I was already on edge, which spilled over onto you because I have the social skills of a lobster (which is to say none, especially since they eat each other).  I'm sorry.  That was immature of me.

I have no problem whatsoever with open discussions with everyone who has a char in the LP, and even all MUCK players, no matter if they want to have a hare or not at any time, about what to do about stuff in the Long Patrol.  The problems with players I have had have been, 98% of the time, caused by older players thinking they had the right to boss us newer players around, like they wrote the rules or something.  But a true collaboration is something I'm all for, and all I'm asking for, including in TPs (like the Fate of Marek one we're in the middle of). smile  Even though I understand that I may have not come across like that was the case.

Take whatever time y'all need to update any web stuff things; I am so computer stupid I sometimes feel good just being able to RP tongue  Lsedit feels like a victory.

(I also apologize for lack of paragraph breaks, especially in that first paragraph.  I couldn't figure out where to put them in all of that O.o)

Board footer