Redwall MUCK Forum

Redwall MUCK is an interactive, multiplayer text game set in Brian Jacques' Redwall universe.

Visit RWMUCK.ORG for more info!

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-05-20 07:51:31 PM

BlisaMarshmellow

IC LP RP 15th May 2021

SCENE: Halyard docks: Long Patrol base

LOG:
The work on the fort had progressed significantly over the past months; the gate had been raised last week and since then the work had been to set up the sheds and tents in the inner courtyard, with a stand alone stone-chimney for the forge. Terrence had been in Halyard near constantly since the Patrol had started, and stood upon the wooden ramparts, over looking the work going on below him.

Velm has come back after taking a week and a half off to do some work at the mountain and is in a rather happy mood today.

Away, far away to the north of the town a figure darted from rock to rock, an uneasiness at being under the sun- the squirrel deeply paranoid of pursuit, as none had come after them. John had spoken very little to the badger cub since that night, opting to keep to himself and rest while they stopped during the day and at night he was careful to keep watch of where they were going. But now as the town came into view he'd broken his rule and was moving during the daylight, paw on his sword hilt.

Oz was tried but he walks along following John." I tired...we theres yet?"

Felicity has been taking her breaks back at Salamandastron like they're supposed to. She does have family -- her baby sister -- to see, so she has more reason to obey the order. Now the Runner is back to Halyard, and she climbs up onto the wall to stand beside her fellow Sergeant. "Y'should take a break ev'ry once in a while, wot! Why y'stayin' 'ere all th' time? I'm sure 'twill continue goin' well when y'not 'ere."

As the badger-cub and squirrel were a long ways off Terrence hadn't yet seen them- not to mention his back as to the north. He waves down to the officer. "Hullo, lieutenant! Good morning!" The master sergeant laughs, leaning against the palisade wall. "Perhaps, sergeant - but that's more or less what I'm doing now. I've sick of being cooped up in the mountain after all, and I like the air here- and the sound of the docks."

Velm nods "Hallo all, seems a good day today. No troubles I am guessing then?"

Oz stays close to John as they near the village, a small frown as he is a little jumpy at sounds as if any sound means something bad is gonna happen any second.

John merely grunts in response to the badger-cub, standing now upright as it's clear the town seems fine. "C'mon." He mutters, gesturing for Oz to follow.

Felicity shakes her head, smiling. Instead of answering her fellow Sergeant, she waves to the Lieutenant. "Aye, ev'rythin' is goin' good so fah, Sah." She, too, has her back to the approaching figures, at least for now. 

It's also around this time that Major Varus has decided to spring a surprise inspection tour on the hares stationed at the nearly-completed fort. There's nothing more fun than a surprise inspection, right? The elder hare approaches the entrance, with a Private and Sergeant in tow. The Sergeant carrying a clipboard to take down whatever notes (read: complaints) the Major may have.

None at all!" Terrence calls down to the lieutenant. "No trouble from the locals to report, at least, which is rather good. And no complaints from my hares eithah - the two week cycle does them some good, I say, as they're given enough time to miss the mountain and this place without getting sick of it! And they do the work diligently enough." The master-sergeant's ears twitch when he hears the three hares approach, and he turns in a rather lazy way- before shooting to attention as he realizes who leads the trio. "Majah, sah!" He salutes.

As the two woodland beasts near the village, John's mouth draws into a thin line, and he unslings the cross bow from his back. "Th' shape there-" He points to the fort, murmuring in a low voice. "'Tis new, Ah'd wager. Might b'vermin." The squirrel drops to the ground, beginning to crawl forward, close to the docks now.

Oz frowns as he looks towards the fort, " Maybe...it nots." He said quietly, oh yes he has heard the plans the wildcat had over and over again." He hasa...LOT more bad beasts than that. "

Velm gives a nod, to the Major and a respected salute as well.

Felicity also turns and salutes. "Majah, sah! Can we 'elp y', sah?" She still has her back to the woodlanders who are headed their way. She doesn't seem very nervous or anything, but she is at attention.

Varus returns the salute, but his demeanor is quite serious. "This is a surprise inspection, wot. Lord Ciocan is keen t' know o' yahr progress wi' th' fort 'ere. I'm here t' make sure yahr all in top fightin' form, an' tha' th' fort is nearin' completion. So... Terrence." He turns on the younger buck. "This is Sahgeant Wilko, an' Private Harmann. They are mah assistants f'r th' inspection. Will you call all yahr subordinates to mustah?"

"Yes sah!" He barks out, "Now let's get those gates open, quickly now!" Terrence calls over his shoulder, still facing the major and his crew. "Inspection!" The privates and corporals who'd been working seem rather tepid at the thought of their major coming in, as he was always inspecting it seemed! But they follow the master-sergeant's order and the gate swings open outward on well oiled hinges. "Attention!" Terrence calls down again, and the hares in the courtyard line up on either side to receive Varus, Wilko, and Harmann.

John gives the badger-cub a look, shaking his head. "More tae this world than tha' wee cat, lad. Could b'pirates, th'town there- Ah know well it's a hub fore them, it is." The squirrel halts, taking time to prep and load a steel bolt in the crossbow, still laying flat in the sand. His grey cloak helps blend in with the rocks, shoreline, and water, though Oz might be more visible - a badger, even a young one, is hard to miss after all. "Though..." John peers closer, his eyes still keen despite his greying fur. "Those there, top o' th'wall- maybe rabbits, they are." His good ear twitches when he hears the orders shouted, making note of the accents. "Definitely rabbits." He stands upright now, lowering the weapon. "C'mon."

Oz tilts his head." They is hares..." He decides to get closer as they get closer he seems to get in a better mood." They..L..long trol hares!" He decides to dash ahead!

Velm steps to the side and dusts off his pants of some dust, his ear perks at the shout and not Varus shout as he looks towards the entryway of the docks...he gets out a spyglass and blinks "The...seasons?!..."

Felicity watches as the subordinate hares get into position. But her ears twitch, too, at the sound of the other shout. She turns and peers in that direction, lacking a spyglass of her own. "I say, I think tha's a badgah o'er thah! Looks like a Dibbun!" She unwinds her sling and loads it as she sees the cloaked figure behind the badger. She can't tell it's a squirrel quite yet, and she wants to be careful.

Varus pauses, as well, when he hears the call, and he turns, momentarily ignoring the line of hares. "A badgah, you say? Most unusual." He peers off across the sand. "Terrence, Felicity... Yahr wi' me." He starts to approach the strangers, paw on his rapier hilt.

"Rabbits, hares; same thing." John mutters to the badger, striding forward and throwing back his hood to reveal the grizzled face beneath, "Bu' they're friendly 'nough tae woodlanders, ore sa' Ah've heard." The master-sergeant begins to motion for his fellow sergeant to follow him down the steps, but he halts as she turns, very alarmed suddenly, his ears twitching as something catches his attention as well- "'ELLO UP THAER!" The squirrel cups his paws around his mouth to call, "Ah've got a beast 'ere from Redwall Abbey, sa' Ah 'ave!" John stay where he is, letting the old hare come to him. Terrence leans over the wall, trying to catch sight of the creatures Felicity means, and who assumedly called that , though he doesn't respond: after all, the commanding officer of the battalion has arrived, it's /his/ job now to address the two figures coming forward. But he does reach a paw out to try and stall her from pulling out her sling. "I doubt very much they'd be a threat if they're approaching us like that, I say." He murmurs to Felicity, heading down the stairs to follow the major out, "But keep ready, just in case." 

Oz walks closer, seeing Velm he basicly rushes over to him before he has a chance to go up the the wall!

Velm was not yet in the fort, well barely in the fort when he blinks and almost falls backwards towards the water.  Luckily he is able to move sideways but still knocked down, luckily on the docks as he grumbles and then sees just who it is.."Oz?"

Felicity frowns, then puts the stone away and winds her sling back around her waist, jogging down the steps to join the Major. But before she can get to him, the badger has crashed into the Lieutenant. The Runner stops, staring at the Dibbun as if she'd seen a ghost. She stands, frozen, her face a mask of shock. She stumbles over and goes to hold the badger's face in her paws. "Y'must be Oz. Y'look jus' like y'dad, Xandah," she tells him in a hoarse whisper. This is too eerie from when Xander was kidnapped by Jedrick and she helped rescue him. The Sergeant is obviously shaken.

Dominik is simply there for backup, the towering hare merely standing there with arms folded as he observes things, quietly.

Varus raises a paw, and addresses the squirrel, "I am Majah Varus, o' th' Long Patrol. Who might y' be, an' wot are y' doin' wi' this young badgah? Yahr a long way from Mossflowah, eh wot."

Grabbing a spear from as a rack as he passes towards the gates, Terrence rests it on his shoulder with his free paw on his saber hilt. He sees the big hare- "Dom, come along as well." Though as the lieutenant is tackled, Terrence starts towards him. "OI!" He shouts, though he backs off when it's clear it isn't an attack, an he sheepishly turns back to the other hares and squirrel, awaiting the latter's answer to Varus.
"Felicity!" Terrence squeaks, "Wait- aye, sergeant, help the good lieutenant!" He says, covering her.
"/Wait!/" John hisses, moving a paw from his crossbow to try and stop the badger, but it's a futile effort - the badger had already leapt at the lieutenant. He winces. But as for the major's question, the squirrel lowers the crossbow further. "John MacGarran, Ah am, an' that one thaer's called Oz, so 'e is. Ah've been followin' him from Mossflower fore more than a season, Ah 'ave, 'e were taken by a wildcat an' crew - they're north o' 'ere, now."

Velm will accept any help up he gets and just stares at Oz,"How?" But he smiles as he is glad the cub is alive,he had been unsure, till now.

Felicity snaps out of her reverie when Terrence says her name. She looks over at them, then goes to make sure Velm and Oz are steady. The Runner can't stop looking at the Dibbun. She still looks like she's seen a ghost. "Be 'onest, love: did tha' squirrel 'elp y'? Are y'safe now?"

Dominik nods to Terrence, as he moves to follow after.

Varus is momentarily oblivious that Felicity disobeyed an order, which is lucky, as the Major is a stickler for the rules. Instead, he remains focused on the squirrel. "John, y' say. Alrigh'... Y' should come in... Along wi'... Oz, is it? Come... I'm sure Lord Ciocan will wish t' speak t' ya both, wot."

Terrence comes to stand by his major, eyeing the crossbow with wary eyes. The badger cub was hopefully being taken care of by the sergeant and lieutenant.

The squirrel can't hide the displeasure at the mention of having to talk to someone, but he nods, slowly. "Aye then. Bu' Ah donnae wish tae go tae yore mountain, if Ah can 'elp it. Ah like my head 'neath th'stars o'heaven, sa' Ah do."

Velm frowns " His Lordship is at the mountain.But I can update him"

Oz frowns. " Zoltar have...." He frowns ans shivers "lot lot lot lot...LOT bad beasts. "

Felicity's face darkens. "Zoltah? Tha's th' wildcat tha' took y' 'way from y' 'ome, right? Y'say 'e 'as a lot of bad beasts, hm?" She goes to put a protective arm around Oz's shoulders if he'll let her. "Don't worry, we'll keep y'safe in Salamandastron. I'll do whotevah I can t'keep y'safe, alright? Let's do whot th'Majah says an' go inside. I'm sure 'e'll take y'to th'Mountain soon." She just wants him to feel safe now that he's no longer with Zoltar.

Velm nods "I can get him insside and get him something to eat, take him to the Mt later tonight"

Varus scoffs. "Zoltah? I doubt very seriously 'e poses a threat... If, as y' say, 'e *is* massin' an army neah-by, 'owevah, then Lord Ciocan *will* want t' 'ear yahr report, sah squirrel. If y' don't wish t' visit th' mountain, I'll 'ave Sahgeant Wilko send on a message back there requestin' 'e come out here 'imself. Ye'll just be requested not ta leave town for the next few days, wot."

The squirrel shrugs. "If ye say sa', Varus o' th' Long Patrol - bu'," He looks at the fort, unimpressed. "Ah wouldnae advise thinking' that this... Zoltar will b'a push over - not with th'army he's got. Least three hundred vermin, b'me last count."

Dominik snerks and mutters, "Three hundred. Pff. Is pushover..." If anyone else had said it, it likely would be taken as a joke, but...

Oz frowns..." He has....lot mores.." He has heard Zoltar say a number." Zoltar said he have...605 h..horde beast and wanta try get mores."

Velm takes the cub inside and makes sure he is feed, and feels safe before he walks back out to see if anything else is Needed. Velm says, "Likely be faster if one just went to update his lordship instead of having him come all the way here"

Felicity blanches. "605? Sah, I'm not sure 'Alyahd c'n stand up t' tha' many foes. An' if 'e's gettin' more..." She goes to gently lead the badger inside. "Let's get y'some dinnah foh now, though."

Oz heads inside and is slightly jumpy but food and a nice bed sounds good.  He nods showing he is very tried.

Considering the squirrel for a moment, the bespectacled hare steps forward. "I am master-sergeant Terrence W.H. Cadwallder, Mountain Regiment, first battalion, of the Long Patrol - I can take you'h report, if you'd follow me into the fort." The numbers worried him, but he wasn't going to show it. The squirrel, in turn, nods and follows the sergeant. "Very well. Say, d'ye 'ave dougnoughts, ore o'er pastry 'round 'ere abouts? Ah've tae 'ad a good meal since th'winter, in th'abbey...."
But before John leaves just yet, he turns to the older hare. "Major Varus, aye? B'ye careful, in th'fight tae come."

Varus huffs. 605? How could such a number have been amassed right under their noses? "Right, well... You lot, this means th' inspection is more important th'n evah. Atten-shun!"

Felicity scowls at the receding squirrel's back. Of course he would get some of the pastries. Maniac. And she'll need to find a bed for Oz until he can be taken to the Mountain. She comes to attention at the Major's command. She knows she's ready for inspection, but is everyone else?

Wilko and Harmann follow Varus, as he walks down the line of hares. "Yahr slouchin', Private Miks. Stand up straightah! An' you... Stop yahr talkin' there!"

Oz feels safer as he looks around and sort of stays closer to ones more familiar

Dominik hears the command, and the large hare immediately straightens up to his full height, his eyes straight ahead and posture straight as an arrow as he stands at attention. He'd been rather scarce as of late, for various reasons, and every now and then would still be found down in the catacombs. But he didn't stay down there nearly as much as he used to, and he still spent most of his time overseeing the leverets whenever possible.

Felicity is slightly distracted keeping track of the badger, but she focuses on the inspection. She doesn't flinch or anything when the Major heads her way. The Privates and them all need to get used to being yelled at, so she doesn't spare them any pity. She has been in the present more and more, and she's really better than she was...although not all the way yet.

Oz just quietly eats, someone will likely take him to the mountain tomorrow , also likely a runner was sent off ahead of whomever after getting the main details from the report Terrence got from the squirrel. One of the hares go to lay a paw on Oz shoulder, to assure him he is ok, he whimpers at this and scoots away, still a bit...nervous still. 

Varus stops before Felicity. "Sahgeant, correct? You an' Terrence are in Chahge here. 'Ow 'as construction been progressin'? Any setbacks that I should be aware of?"

Dominik simply remains where he is standing at attention, the hare staring straight ahead.

Felicity salutes. "All 'as been goin' as planned, Sah. Th'outah wall an' th'gate are finished, now we're jus' focusin' on th'inside. Buildin' th' storage sheds an' settin' up bettah tents are next on th' agenda." She glances at the badger. She can't help it. This is reminding her too much of Xander's kidnapping. But she returns to the inspection. "Th' furnace is workin' well, too, Sah," she adds, nodding to the freestanding chimney. "Good foh th' bit o' smithin' we've done, as well as cookin' an' bakin'." 

Varus nods, listening to each item that Felicity lists off. Sergeant Wilko, meanwhile, jots down some notes. Varus glances his way, from time to time. "Very good... Though if the report o' ovah 6 hundred vermin hidin' out neah-by is to be believed, we'll need ta whip this garrison inta shape soonah th'n bloody well expected." 

Dominik is listening to the conversation, though the hare is still standing at attention, his expression an unreadable one...but he seems to pondering things as it's mentioned that there are quite a lot of vermin out there somewhere hiding nearby.

Oz sniffs as he gets up and frowns. Why is all the hares, or most, standing around for?

Felicity nods, her expression grim. "Aye, Sah. I'll talk to Mastah Sergeant Terrence an' see if we 'ave an escape route, too. If we 'ave any refugees who show up, we need a way t'be able t'get 'em away safely." She starts running through the drills she'll set the subordinate hares through. She's sure Terrence and Dominik will help her, too. "I'll also double th'watch th'moment this inspection is ovah, Sah."

Varus nods his head. "Good, good... Wilko, jot all that down. Harmann, I want you t' go wi' the cook t' the mess tent. Make a full accountin' o' th' fort's provisions. This'll likely be our only fall-back point should Halyahd be overrun. Check th' watah supply, too..."

Dominik smirks a little, the hare inwardly assuring himself that something like that is definitely not going to happen while he was there. "Vil stay here too, help keep eye on things..." 

Oz frowns as he speaks. " Zoltar bads...say he..gonna kill alla hares and make Ciocan watch...zoltar kill all the otters, and my daddy...and he also kill zolos." 

Felicity has been sort of paying attention to the badger during the inspection, but when he starts listing off everything the wildcat has done, she gives him her full attention. But the last thing....that's what gets her. The Runner stumbles, shock and horror swamping her. "Zolomon? He killed Zolomon? Are y'sure..." She doesn't want to believe it.

Oz starts sobbing and goes to sob onto Felicity." I tell zoltar...nooooo...but he just laugh and tells zolos he can die alone and he..zoltar drags me away....." And then muffed sobs...for a long while as they likely stare or chat till he is quiet cause he worn himself out to sleep.

Varus harrumps. He never forgave Zolomon, so he's less broken up. He's STILL nursing that wound, though it's almost fully healed now, just a nasty scar. "Any rate... Somebeast get th' lad to a bed. I need t' confer wi' th' General..." 

Dominik also isn't quite sure of what to make of the whole Zolomon situation, though it being mentioned that someone intends on bringing harm to the others definitely doesn't sit right with the large hare. He nods to Varus, and makes his way over to Oz to lift him and take him someplace safe.

Felicity lets Dom take the Dibbun. Once the Major has left and everyone has gotten back to their duties, she stumbles to her tent and collapses on her cot, weeping. They have no way of knowing that Zolomon is actually alive, so she grieves the death of her friend. She'll continue her duties, but everyone will be able to see how sad she is...

~*END*~

Thanks for reading!

Board footer