Redwall MUCK Forum

Redwall MUCK is an interactive, multiplayer text game set in Brian Jacques' Redwall universe.

Visit RWMUCK.ORG for more info!

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-01-23 06:57:17 PM

Ol'random
Website

General Battalion Campaign Equipment for the Hare of the Long Patrol

A General Guide Battalion Campaign Equipment for the enlisted hare of the Long Patrol
Note: Personal items are allowed but never at the expense of required equipment

I.
Basic Equipment
All enlisted hares in addition to their uniforms are expected to carry the following:

Every enlisted hare, meaning private, lance-corporal, corporal, sergeant, colour sergeant, and master sergeant, is expected to carry with them a spear, dagger, and sling in addition to any personal weapons.

Every enlisted hare, meaning private, lance-corporal, corporal, sergeant, colour sergeant, and master sergeant, is expected to carry with them in addition to their uniform and weapons a pack which is water resistant upon their back to carry rations for up to three days, personal mess kit (REQUIRED at least a spoon, knife, and either a bowl or cup), personal sewing kit (REQUIRED at least one needle, spindle of thread, and piece of cloth), personal weapon-care kit (REQUIRED at least one whetstone, one rag, and one bottle of oil), spare clothing (REQUIRED at least an extra shirt, pair of shoes, pair of socks, and pair of trousers), personal hygiene kit (REQUIRED soap, rag, and comb, in addition to any other items a hare might need), first aid kit (REQUIRED bandages, medical needle, and thread), and ground cot and blanket which will be held by straps on top of the pack.

Every enlisted hare, meaning private, lance-corporal, corporal, sergeant, colour sergeant, and master sergeant, is expected to carry with them in addition to their weapons and pack a half-tent and cloak either rolled up together or separately and slung over one shoulder en bandolier crossing over the chest to the opposite hip, hanging loosely.

Every enlisted hare, meaning private, lance-corporal, corporal, sergeant, colour sergeant, and master sergeant, is expected to carry in addition to their weapons, pack, half-tent, and cloak a canteen for water and small belt pouch for stones and any extra items such as a flint and steel.

All enlisted hares are expected to carry a bundle of wood for fires* (*when not in an area that fire wood is readily available).

II.
Specialized equipment
In addition to the general equipment listed above, certain roles in the battalion are required to oversee more items.

Battalion cooks and their assistants are expected to oversee in addition to the standard equipment at least one cart which will carry any cooking equipment the battalion requires (pots, pans, etc) in addition to the primary food supplies of the battalion as well as a large tent pavilion for the mess an kitchen area. As many extra pots, pans, cutlery, and, of course, food as can be fit will be carried in the cart.

Battalion blacksmiths and their assistants are expected to oversee in addition to the standard equipment at least one cart which will carry any black-smithing equipment the battalion requires (honing steels, sharpening stones, whetstones, hammers, tongs, small anvil, etc) as well as a pavilion to shelter he smithing area. As many extra weapons and equipment for the battalion (spears, knifes, daggers, swords, slings, arrows, bows, armour, etc) as can be fit will be carried in the cart.

Battalion quartermaster, ensigns, and any colour sergeants are expected to oversee in addition to the standard equipment at least one cart which will carry any item which the battalion might need replaced (tents, half-tents, uniforms, clothing, boots, sewing kits, mess kits, weapon kits, ground cots, blankets, great coats, etc) as well as individual officer tents and the command tent. In addition, any equipment which Commissioned Officers do not wish to carry themselves can be placed into the cart, in order of highest rank to lowest rank (beginning with the Colonel, then the Major, then Captains, then Lieutenants, then Sub-Lieutenants, then Ensigns), as long as space permits.

III.
Definition of Terms

Battalion: The basic unit of the Long Patrol, command by either a colonel or major, and is divided into a number of companies (each commanded by a captain). It is the smallest unit of the Long Patrol capable of prolonged independent action and contains within it everything needed to fight a battle or march on campaign. Each battalion has in addition to officers and enlisted hares an attached group of cooks, blacksmiths, clarks, and healers who are generally non-combatants and allow retired hares a place in active service still.

Campaign: A military operation; here used to differentiate any time the Long Patrol is in the field and on duty and not garrisoned in the mountain, usually for the purpose of warfare and travel.

Half-Tent: A tent half made to be paired with another half tent via hooks and buttons on one end; this allows hares who are separated from their unit to have shelter even when alone.

OOC:
I wrote this up as an IC document that all hares in the LP should read and be aware of instead of just doing it OOC'ly.

Last edited by Ol'random (2021-01-23 07:39:18 PM)

I play Atticus, John, Lossow, Terrence, and Spruce
The Long Patrol Landing Page!
Usually on the MUCK Saturdays + Monday & Wednesday evenings if I have the time
Fastest way to reach me is via my Discord: Luke_SkyOtter#1438

#2 2021-01-23 07:11:13 PM

BlisaMarshmellow

Re: General Battalion Campaign Equipment for the Hare of the Long Patrol

Maybe provide some drawings of some of the things.  Like, I know what a bandolier is, and you know what a bandolier is, but we are also slight Medieval nerds.  It might be helpful to have some illustrations wink

#3 2021-01-23 07:21:26 PM

oz

First aid kit maybe? Not sure what in it though

I play:
Brother Gorvenalus-Redwall Abbey Recorder,  Private Cole,a runner, of the Long Patrol
Oz( Yes named after Papa Oz) young adult and Novice in Redwall.

#4 2021-01-23 07:33:24 PM

Ol'random
Website

Fair enough; for wearing the coat/tent en bandolier this old drawing of mine works
LP-Uniform-Breakdown.jpg

As for the packs, I was basing them off of examples from french army the Napoleonic era

As for the first aid kit,that's a good idea Oz! i knew i missed something

Last edited by Ol'random (2021-01-23 07:34:39 PM)

I play Atticus, John, Lossow, Terrence, and Spruce
The Long Patrol Landing Page!
Usually on the MUCK Saturdays + Monday & Wednesday evenings if I have the time
Fastest way to reach me is via my Discord: Luke_SkyOtter#1438

#5 2021-01-23 10:08:33 PM

Log-A-Log

Hmmm....
Well I would say basic first aid stuff like  some bandages, basic herbal pack....all hares would know least basic  first  aid so that their fellow hare will live to see the healer whose heck of a lot more skilled.

Heck the Badger Lord likely knows some first aid too...probably more than just basic too.

But yes good list

I play:  Xavier ( Log-A-log of GUOSIM) Elbio (Lt.,Archer, and Fighter in Long Patrol and RW Residential Hare)

Board footer