Redwall MUCK Forum

Redwall MUCK is an interactive, multiplayer text game set in Brian Jacques' Redwall universe.

Visit RWMUCK.ORG for more info!

You are not logged in.

#26 2021-01-05 03:01:21 PM

BlisaMarshmellow

Re: Updates on the Adventures

the books were pre-gunpowder, which would've had them be in about the 1300s or earlier since the english used the first cannons against the french c. 1346 (everyday life in the middle ages by sherrilyn kenyon, page 166).  having the uniforms be from the 1700s or 1800s is a bit anachronistic.  however, we're running a bunch of animals doing human things, so i try to be chill about slight historical inaccuracies.  I'm just meaning that all these paths and stuff would take a really long time, and would only go to the necessary areas. 

they don't need to go to the orchards because everything has been harvested, they may have to make a path to the pond for fresh water but not ice skating since there is snow on it and ice skating isn't a necessity, etc. 

and yeah, the pond wouldn't be frozen solid; water tends to hold heat, which is great because the larger bodies of water would stay liquid so the fish will be okay smile

i think most of this damage is stuff to look forward to needing to deal with in the spring since the snow literally has everyone trapped.

the tree falling into the pond makes sense.  I'm not fully sure how to make it work out, but i like it.  the weight of snow and ice definitely makes trees fall.  i hope you guys can make it work out; it definitely sounds like a good idea to me smile

#27 2021-01-05 03:39:45 PM

Log-A-Log

least they found the weather vane...they could see treehouse..and maybe soon...tree it was in damage closer to spring...not that it harm much, would just need cleared and not fall on anything but pond...and further smash the treehouse mahahahaha....

And yes Zoltar may have snowshoes..not sure yet...I mean he has to cause some trouble and not be able to be caught right away...he is a smart kitty

As for paths(tunnels..)...ones to gatehouse and cottage is good....so is rose garden one...but it may be collapsing here soon...the tunnel that is. One to bell tower will be fine as will to gatehouse and champion cottage,  maybe a couple issues with one to kitchen yard, as that area could be useful.

No other tunnels needed,  as for drinking water....I think the have some ....hmmms I mean they would have to doright? As pond is always frozen in cold weather months.....

Last edited by Log-A-Log (2021-01-05 03:41:38 PM)

I play:  Xavier ( Log-A-log of GUOSIM) Elbio (Lt.,Archer, and Fighter in Long Patrol and RW Residential Hare)

#28 2021-01-05 06:03:24 PM

Mother Krisha

Flood in spring,  so round late march or middle of march. Not that flooding would effect abbey but likely to affect GUOSIM,Camp Willow and maybe part of Ferravale. Affect creek by dirt road too. So there can be that problem in begining of spring, towards end winter.

#29 2021-01-05 09:47:31 PM

BlisaMarshmellow

i hadn't even thought of flooding! 

our poor chars...fv should definitely have issues with that...

#30 2021-01-06 06:37:44 PM

Ol'random
Website

about the lack of machinery/historical accuracy - I don't think the biggest problem is that it would be historically inaccurate, but the fact that there aren't any draft animals in Redwall - cattle, horses, donkeys, etc - is. And that lack of even just horse throws of being accurate to history right out the window because the use cavalry is one of the most defining features of the medieval period.
and I will fully admit that the LP uniforms I've designed are terribly anarchistic as I've pulled from Rome, the Swiss, the New Model Army, the Napoleonic wars, the US Civil war, and the Royal Air Force - that last one being what Brian originally based the LP on so blame the author tongue
Heck even the idea of cloth uniforms instead of just similar armor is really from the 1640s with the English Civil War's NMA.
Now, my character John on the other hand... If he was a human he'd fit right in with mercenaries of the mid-to-late 1400s as that was what I was going for with his gear - all of it is from that period or was in still use at the time

NOW for all snow; to keep the consistent level of snow it would have to snow somewhat regularly as whenever the sun is out the top would melt. Now, this also has the effect of the melting snow refreezing into a somewhat solid layer which is safe to walk on the more and more the snow gets packed down, for the most part. Every so often one might step down too hard or the layer isn't as solid as the rest and one breaks through and falls down into the deep snow which can be a pain to get out of. Also, I'd argue that certain animals, a squirrel for instance, should have no problem going over the top of the snow as they are light enough (or at least not that dense) to not break through.
Also also, for places like the abbey, wide wooden planks can by laid down atop the snow to make a walk way - the snow would get pressed down somewhat forming a small trench, but it would be safe to walk on as the snow underneath would be packed pretty solid.
...as a side note, maybe I should have John teach people how to make quick snow shoes as he is from the northlands and I rarely bring that fact into RP ( and he could help move letters and goods and stuff between places as he is a squirrel and could easily use the trees to get from place to place as five feet of snow can't stay in the branches of even the strongest oak)

As for the flooding; it would have to be slow as that amount of snow would take weeks of constant sun to melt completely. So the road side ditch and any low field or place (like the south wall of the abbey) would pool with water over time in the spring + plus the river Moss would swell and probably flood the land around it

Last edited by Ol'random (2021-01-06 06:44:37 PM)

I play Atticus, John, Lossow, Terrence, and Spruce
The Long Patrol Landing Page!
Usually on the MUCK Saturdays + Monday & Wednesday evenings if I have the time
Fastest way to reach me is via my Discord: Luke_SkyOtter#1438

#31 2021-01-06 07:05:59 PM

Log-A-Log

True!

It would melt and refreeeze and become alittle less over time, so paths could be made...over time. And nope...it's not  snowing non stop tongue

So ya...Zoltar could do some evil..Road block stuff....

As for the pond ice skaking-shrugs..

I do like the idea of   possible thin ice later on...maybe there is even some on top of the ditch....Zoltar causes a small bit of mischief and gets chased off...one of his ferret bubbies or someone else finds the thin ice on ditch....now thsat would be VERY COLD WATER...as said Zoltar may be causeing some trouble soon here.

I play:  Xavier ( Log-A-log of GUOSIM) Elbio (Lt.,Archer, and Fighter in Long Patrol and RW Residential Hare)

#32 2021-01-06 07:17:49 PM

oz

Some vermin problems on the already hard to travel road will be fun...well fun oocly not fun icly.

Also if they get the forge working and kiln, that's when getting to the Kitchen Yard ....the warmth from that will help clear that area enough smile

I play:
Brother Gorvenalus-Redwall Abbey Recorder,  Private Cole,a runner, of the Long Patrol
Oz( Yes named after Papa Oz) young adult and Novice in Redwall.

#33 2021-01-07 11:50:31 AM

BlisaMarshmellow

idk, I'd say spruce is pretty dense (that's mean but also really funny)...

yes!  have john teach people northlands stuff!  dooooo iiiiiit!!

i have to admit that my area of america gets ice storms more than snow, so i can only go from what little I've read about the subject.  also, snow doesn't stay for long, so i don't have the experience some of the rest of y'all probably have.  so i will concede to those who have had more experience with heavy snowfall than i have.

john should be the mailman. 

i still would prefer to keep our tech pre-gunpowder as much as possible.

zoltar needs to cause problems.  we need to have more bad guy things happening without the threat of a potential take over.

that is a valid point with the kiln and forge, oz!

#34 2021-01-08 09:34:07 PM

BlisaMarshmellow

...after some thought about your comment on how squirrels may be able to walk on the surface of the snow, I've been wondering what shenanigans i could get dochas into...

**cue maniacal laughter**

#35 2021-01-09 04:20:32 PM

Log-A-Log

hmms

maybe Zoltar finds some sort of hidden tunnel...I did find some old sort building by river, he may hang out there...maybe.

#36 2021-01-09 06:42:06 PM

BlisaMarshmellow

There is a tunnel system leading underneath Ferravale from near the River Moss.

#37 2021-01-09 07:24:38 PM

Log-A-Log

that be funny, Zoltar hides LITERARY  right under them....
or least till most of snow clears then he has some other evil plans by then, but not to worry  he won't  stay away too long.

#38 2021-01-09 08:51:18 PM

BlisaMarshmellow

#39 2021-01-12 08:54:58 AM

Log-A-Log

I should be on a Elbio for  the LP today jan12 2012

Log-A-log and his son Xavier is at the GUOSIM camp, stuck but safe,warm and well with food , in the main building withh all the other shres

Anil, my new dibbun sparrow is around the abbey

And of course Zolat is....somewhere near the abbey being...duhhh evil

#40 2021-01-13 12:20:50 PM

Elmef

Sorry I didn't make it on all
My kidneys attacked me and I have been out ill for the last couple of days

I will return to the MUCK as soon as I am feeling well again.

#41 2021-01-17 01:30:22 PM

Log-A-Log

any update on a date for Halyard yet?

#42 2021-01-18 10:51:10 AM

Mother Krisha

Donica will help Halyard, offer healer stuff ya know

Board footer