Redwall MUCK Forum

Redwall MUCK is an interactive, multiplayer text game set in Brian Jacques' Redwall universe.

Visit RWMUCK.ORG for more info!

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-01-27 06:07:49 PM

Ol'random
Website

To find a Missing Hare Tomorrow - LP 1/26/20

Lord Ciocan, a badger,
Sgt. Terrence,
And Mjr. Varus, hares.

Ciocan came up here after he arrived, first thing first he told Zolomon to go get a couple  of the higher up hare and  didn't explain why, just go get them...who? ...He didn't care just go, yes the badger was  grumpy and pacing  up on the crater.

Varus comes up the steps, grimacing as he doesn't particularly care for the wind up here on the crater. He salute. "You wanted t' speak, Sah."

It had been an odd day for Terrence. After breakfast, the fact that Zeldove didn't immediately show up for the days exercises didn't come as a surprise as she was more than likely busy with the dishes. By eleven o'cloak he began to wonder just how slow she was at her chores. At lunchtime he took it by himself in the hallway, and thus didn't really think to check up on her in the kitchens. After teatime, the sergeant made up his mind to go make sure everything was alright in the kitchens - where he learned Zeldove never show'd up to. He had just been trying to find her when he got the Badger Lord's message, and, running up to the top of the mountain, came out just a few moments behind the major. With a salute Terrence stands before Ciocan and Varus, getting his breathing under control. "Sahs!"

Ciocan stops his pacing, he had another hare try and find out whom was missing as he had yet to know who, but he was slowly narrowing it down, he turned to give a nod, a deep breath "At ease....we have a missing hare maid. I do not know whom...yet. Just some clues from a hedgehog named Mack..." He snorts "And a weasel in Halyard who mentioned a stoat."

Varus had heard mention of a missing hare. He has a suspicion, though certainly not backed with as much evidence as Terrence has, but he leaves his suspicion unsaid. "A weasel? Can't usually be trusted undah any circumstances, Sah..."

"Sah, if I may," Terrence, hesitantly, "I have not seen Pvt. Zeldove since yesterday. She has not turned up to the daily exercises o'h training, no'h is she in the kitchens and I was looking fo'h he'h when the corporal delivered you'h message - could it be he'h?" He bites his lip. "I don't know why Zeldove would be in the town, though. She was ordah'd by Lt. Gregorian to be on kitchen duty, so that could be a reason, but I don't know. Of course she could also still be in the mountain, but perhaps a headcount of the hares might clarify who's missing, sah?"

Ciocan nods "I have a couple checking around that was  with me in Halyard, and I don't trust the weasel...Mack though is trustworthy, he is keeping an eye on the weasel, there was also a fire in a new cafe in Halyard tonight, it was then the weasel came and mentioned the stoat had a hare maid and something about the docks in a couple days, but didnt say anything else"He looks up as a hare salutes and he nods, the hare comes over "Sur...de only ones not  accounted fer is Private Zeldove and a recruit by the name of Dale.." The badger nods "Dale is visiting his parents in Halyard..." He  dismisses the hare and  goes quiet, least he  yell or something, he then speaks "I am gonna need some hares for a rescue mission it seems. I am sure you two can find some to  go with you...my only request is not Zolomon, I don't  want  a hare thats  emotionally attached  with who is missing to go,  goes for any  mission...if a hare is family or  close to them...rather not have them go unless there is no other logical  choice"

Varus frowns sharply. "Ah, somethin's afoot in Halyahd. Damn." He pounds his fist into his palm. "Only one 'are is missin', though, so this should be a fairly straightforward rescue mission..."

Terrence nods. "Understood, sah." Glancing down at his feet briefly before looking back up, he adds,  "I would like to request myself to go, sah, as she is in my division and as such is my responsibility."

Ciocan nods "If you see it best Sergeant Terrance. It is only one hare missing yes and hopefully an easy enough mission. Your need to find that hedgehog Mack, he seems to know more as I  only  seen the fire so went to see wot was going on."One of the  rare times he goes further than the beach, and thats only to do some training  early every morning, he finds trouble with one of his hares,. A simple  tavern fight  would of been  better but this is a missing hare and it  looks bad to have any hares missing."Who else  would be good to send?"

Varus harrumps. "I'll lead th' search. I know Halyahs bettah th'n most beasts, because mah fam'ly 'as lived there f'r generations... We'll only take a few othah hares, not enough t' draw attention, wot..."

"Right sah." Terrence bows his head to the badger lord. "And I suppose Lt. Greg will have to stay here? I imagine he might be easily recognized." He suggests, "As fo'h hares to go along without Zolomon only two o'h three privates I believe are currently fit fo'h duty, the rest are all still getting the basics down." Then the sergeant turns to Varus, asking, "Majah, are there any from you'h division you'd ask along?"

Ciocan nods as he listens and sighs, "Just find her, whom ever goes along..and hopefully found alive" He thinks quietly after a while adds "And once she is safely back, see to it she is punished for leaving the mountain, if she was given an order to stay then she needs to learn to follow orders. She is in no danger of being kicked out...I have only ever kicked out one hare...Hanzi ...but he killed a fellow private and almost another one and was some reason helping a slaver..."

Varus frowns again, and shakes his head. Hanzi was his private. A promising young buck, till he went psychopathic. "That was a black mark on th' patrol," he says simply.

Terrence thinks better of mentioning how Greg thought of Hanzi the day before, so he doesn't. "Indeed. Considering she hasn't even finished training and as such isn't yet fully used to the patrol, I certainly don't want he'h kicked out."

Ciocan nods "Yes...if you will excuse me I need some rest," He sighs as he mutters "The one time I get talked into taking a day to go to Halyard this sort of....stuff happens" He is grumpy, and tried and hopefully some rest will help him as he lets the two officers  talk.

Varus salutes, as the Badger Lord goes down below. He sighs, and rubs a paw over his face. "If it isn't one thing, it's another..."

Terrence also salutes the badger, relaxing a bit after Ciocan's gone. "Sah?" He asks, turning back to the major, "When should we start heading out?"

Varus casts his glance out in the direction of Halyard. Toward the west the sun is setting, the sky taking on an abundance of pinks, reds, and golds. "Too late this evening. We'll 'ead out first thing tomorrah. I'll bring a few of mah fightahs. As an aside, yahr doin' an able job leadin' yahr unit while Majah Jinora is off on 'er secret mission."

"Well, it's been Gregorian doing the most work, sah, but thank you." Terrence dips his head in gratitude. "And understood. I'll inform the hares in my division aftah dinnah's finished. I have about three in mind..."

"I'll be speakin' t' Sahgeant Felicity this evenin'. I wish I could bring Private Dominik. 'E's good f'r roughin' up vermin, but A. 'e's still on leave, an' B. 'e sticks out like a bloody sore thumb..."

Terrence nods. "Probably fo'h the best, leaving Dom out of this one..." There's a pause as he debates fulfilling the promise he made to Felicity or not. "Sah? About Sgt. Felicity..." He sucks in a breath, "Yesterday, the lieutenant and I talked with he'h about taking a holiday of sorts as to be frank she's been running herself ragid- both Greg and I had to do some convincing fo'h he'h to even begin to considah the idea." He pauses, waiting for Varus' reaction.

Varus turns away, to watch the sunset. "An 'oliday? Now? The reason she's busy is because I'm busy. I'm th' only active duty Majah in th' mountain, wot. Jinora is off on a mission, Taye is effectively retired, an' Rahier is in Mossflowah... I need Felicity f'r this..."

"I...see, sah." Terrence stays were he is. "But admittedly if we are only taking a pawful of hares besides ourselves, two sergeant is ovehkill? Someone needs to stay and make sure the rest are all doing what they're supposed to be doing, and I certainly don't trust Zolomon to do it alone, even if Lt. Greg is here."

Varus hrrms. "Y' may be right, Lad. I'll make mah decision tonight, wot."

Bowing his head once again, Terrence mutters, "Thank you, sah." In a more relaxed tone, he adds, now watching the sunset as well, "Hopefully this mission'll serve as a good exercise fo'h those who come and a warning to not run off when you're not supposed to fo'h the rest."

Varus harrumps. "Are we sure she ran off, though? Or was she taken? Questions, questions... An' no answers."

"Well, she was ordah'd on kitchen duty," Terrence starts, "With an understanding she wouldn't be on leave for at least a few days, so there's no way she'd be captured in the mountain. Still, we should do a head count tonight just to be safe..."

Varus nods his head. "O' course. But there's any reason she might've gone outside, even f'r just a moment... It 'as 'appened before. Recruits were kidnapped off the beach durin' trainin' exercises by pirates. It's been many seasons, though..."

Terrence shrugs. "Maybe. But wouldn't the watch have seen something then? A ship would be easy enough to spot, considering today was relatively cleah. And why to Halyard if she was captured on the beach? There's plenty of witnesses up there like that Mack the Badger Lord mentioned..."

Varus mmms, and nods. "It's all unlikely, I'm afraid. Jus' tryin' t' give th' lass th' benefit o' th' doubt, wot. It's desertion. Dereliction o' bloody duty. Tha's a serious chahge..."

"That is true, sah." Terrence pinches the bridge of his nose with a sigh. "If I had my way, she wouldn't be a private yet - I plan on putting my entire division through basic training again. I wasn't really involved with Zeldove's training, o'h really any of my division's training at all, and that, frankly, bothahs me."

Varus harrumps. "Tha's because y' were still a Corporal at th' time, wot." He turns, and fixes the younger buck with a gaze. "Take mah advice. I was a Sahgeant once, too. A long time before y' were born, eh wot. Be firm, yet fair. Nevah show any weakness, wot. Make those hares respect you. Show respect to yahr superiahs, too, but... Don't take any flak from 'em, eithah. If yahr Lieutenant is bein' unreasonable don't be afraid t' inform yahr Majah. Superiahs an' subordinates are s'posed t' work wi' mutual respect... Nevah f'rget that."

Nodding, slowly, Terrence doesn't immediately answer. "I will admit I've not been the best at all that, sah. Of course, Lt. Greg's been the one making up fo'h my lack of firmness, and considering how my majah's away I can't really report to he'h..." He smiles, giving a light laugh. "I suppose I'm lucky that Greg went from my sergeant to my lieutenant, so I didn't have to change anything beyond what I call him when not using 'sah'..."

Varus nods his head. "Right-ho. Yah're on th' right track, wot. I've 'eard Greg singin' yahr praises, so yah're doin' somethin' right..."

"Does he?" Terrence seems at least somewhat surprised, "Does he indeed...Well, that's good to heah, if nothing else. Admittedly I had a rathah severe cold when Zeldove first joined, and I sweah she got private fah soonah than is normal."

Varus sighs. "Everybeast is gettin' private fastah th'n they used t'," he complains. "But... It's a necessary evil, wot..."

"Maybe it is," Terrence scrunches his snout, "But maybe not. Just because we're low on numbahs doesn't mean we should skimp out on training."

Varus glances over at the other buck. "That's why I've set Dominik loose on the recruits. I got 'im whippin' the poor beasts inta shape now..."

Terrence raises an eyebrow. "And no one's dead yet?" He coughs. "Sorry. A joke in poo'h taste on my part, sah. Felicity and I were actually discussing the othah day a way to get them able to march 'bout 18-20 miles in a half day, and be in fighting condition aftahwards."

Varus harrumps. "Dominik will get them t' mahch tha' in one quartah of a day, eh wot."

"Well, sah, the idea is fo'h them to be able to actually function aftah the march." Terrence laughs, "And I daresay I'd run like hell if he were my drill-sergeant. Not exactly the most ideal fo'h battle, eh?"

Varus shrugs. "Th' results speak f'r themselves, I think... Discipline in mah unit 'as been at an all-time 'igh, wot."

Terrence nods again. "Well, the training was fo'h both recruits and privates." There's a pause as Terrence watches the last ray of sunlight disappear. "And, well, sah, Dom is still a private, yes? O'h has that changed...?"

Varus shakes his head. "By all respects, 'e deserves a promotion, but as he's officially off duty any such promotion 'as been put on hold. 'E's a private until 'e gets reinstated..."

"Well, frankly," Terrence says, turning from the lip of the crater, "If he's training the troops that doesn't sound much like being off duty, sah." The sergeant shrugs. "Of course," a chuckle escapes him again, "Maybe torturing the poo'h hares is how he relaxes, so what do I know?"

Varus shakes his head. "'E enjoys it. It was that or I banish 'im t' th' gahdens. Can y' imagine? No, no... 'E 'as t' stay active, or 'e could relapse...."

Terrence scratches his chin absentmindedly. "So he does, does he? And I can, sah. But I like the garden untrammeled... Now that I think about it," the sergeant straightens up, an idea having occurred to him, "What is the dangah of being recognized? A bunch of armed hares nearby Salamandastron can really only mean one thing, can't it? Even a half blind pirate would be able to take one look at us and run away. So maybe we can take Dom along, and see how he handles it..."

Varus rubs his own chin in turn. "I just worry about causin' a scene, wot. But per'aps yah're right... I'll consult with the chief medic..."

"Eh, so what?" Terrence shrugs his shoulders. "I think a scene will made whethah o'h not he comes along. It's been quite a while since the Long Patrol has had a, well, patrol in Halyard, so its bound to turn heads with o'h without a white giant among us. Hell, I say if we're going to go fo'h it we might as well go all in. What if a doo'h needs breaking down, o'h a wall even, eh?" He winks. "Dom might be the best hare fo'h the job..."

Varus harrumps. "I'm not convinced Dominik is ready for a fight, wot. 'E was talkin' t' a dead toad 'e called 'Blarg' or 'Blorg' or 'Bargle'... Somethin' like that. Tha's pretty damn extreme, eh wot..."

"Blorg, I think sah." Terrence says, "And maybe you're right sah, but maybe a fight alongside fellow hares could help. And maybe there won't be need fo'h a fight at all - if the captors have even half a brain they might turn tail and flee the moment they spot Dom."

Varus doesn't seem entirely convinced. "I'll speak t' 'is doctah, eh wot. Wotevah 'e says, goes. I've 'alf a mind t' put 'im undah yahr direct command, since y' seem t' 'ave so much faith in 'im..."

"AH." Terrence gives a forced cough. "Ah ha sah. I do not think that would go ovah well, unless..." He pauses, in thought. "Perhaps if I were to tell him to come along to save a poo'h private it'd be fine?"

Varus waves a paw dismissively. "I said 'alf a mind. I'm only jokin'. No, if I do this I'll personally supahvise 'im..."

In all honestly, there seems to be a part of Terrence that looks disappointed. Of course that's overwhelmed by the other half that's relieved. "Ah, right. Sah." The sergeant looks up at the twilight sky, saying, "I daresay we should start preparing fo'h tomorrow if we plan on leaving as soon as we're able, eh?"

Varus mmms. "Yes, yes. This chill air is not good for mah old joints," he declares, rubbing his arms. "Tha's th' bloody problem o' gettin' old, I swear..."

There's little Terrence can do beyond cast a furtive glance at his own still young and functioning joints. "So I've heard, sah. Meh. Of course," He grins, "I have at least a few years 'efore I have to deal with all those problems.'"

Varus side-eyes at Terrence. "Yah're a whippah-snappah, lad. Yah're right. Yah've got years..."

"To be faih, sah," Terrence begins, walking towards the way down into the mountain, "Before myself and Felicity were made sergeants my thoughts on evah being one was when I'd be old and grey." With a snort he continues, "Honestly sah I'm not nearly crusty enough to really feel like one, but I guess that comes in time, doesn't it?"

Varus harrumps. "Back in mah day th' Sahgeants weren't that old. I should know. I was one... That said, I was married already, an' you 'n' Felicity are both still single..." He mounts the stairs, to head down.

The sergeant freezes for a moment at the top of the stairs, but Terrence soon laughs, following the major down. "Yes. Though if I'm being honest, I hadn't truly thought of reaching sergeant till I was at least fifteen seasons."

Varus looks at the other buck. "Yah're not fifteen seasons already?" he asks. "Goodness gracious."

"Not even thirteen yet, sah." Terrence shrugs. "It's a bit surreal to be frank. Feels like I was just ten seasons a few months ago."

Varus shakes his head. "Blimey. My son Adrian's oldah 'n' you are. Goodness me..."

Terrence stops on the steps. "I am, am I?"

Varus nods. "By a season or two, thereabout, wot. Not tha' great a diff'rence, really."

"No, I suppose not..." Terrence says, thinking, "Of course, that'd put him neah fifteen seasons, doesn't it?"

Varus nods, and counts on his fingers. "I think so," he remarks. "I do get forgetful. Somewhere thereabouts..."

"Huh." Terrence mutters, stopping at the bottom of the stairs. "I wondah when he and that private he was with'll be back here, o'h if they evah will be back?"

Varus stops in his tracks, and hmmphs. "They'll be back." He's trying to sound confident. In truth he's come to regret sending his son so far away. "Aye, they'll return. They 'ave to..."

Nodding, slowly, Terrence responds, "Hopefully. Of course, I say if they take anothah season to get back here we will have to heckle them fo'h taking how many seasons has it been? Two, three, fouh?"

Varus stops to think. "Four, I think. They left last spring." He eyes Terrence. "Did you know 'em well? Montgomery or Adrian?"

"Not at all, sah!" Terrence smiles, "Met Adrian once o'h twice but that Mongamy? Nevah!"

Varus mhmms. "Not surprisin'. From wot I've been told Montgomery was in a similah position as Dominik for over 5 months... One too many knocks t' th' bloomin' noggin, wot."

"Oh, he's that Montgomery, is he?" Terrence blinks, "I heard about him then. Five months? Really?"

Varus nods. "I read 'is record. Nearly drummed out, but managed to work through 'is slow recovery an' rejoin th' Patrol. A bit of a success story, apparently."

Terrence raises an eyebrow. "Really? I just skimmed through it. He's apparently in my division, so there's that...ehem."

Varus shrugs. "The Badgah Lord saw fit t' send 'im out there on a recruitment mission. I 'ave t' assume he was well enough..."

"I see." Terrence shrugs. "Well, it's not exactly my issue, yet, so I won't worry about him. No, I'll just leave the worrying fo'h the here and now." Letting out a long sigh, he says, "I'd thought something might happen, with how quick Zeldove was here and how Zolomon treated he'h. But not this. Bah."

Varus harrumps. "It's hahdly yahr fault, eh wot. We'll find th' lass, an' th'n she'll be appropriately punished..."

"Indeed, sah." The sergeant bites his lip. "Of course," Terrence looks at the major, "I think if she's been captured by pirates o'h some othah villain that might serve as part of the punishment already."

Varus harrumps, like he is wont to do. "Well... Y' got a bloody point there..."

"Perhaps." Terrence leans against the wall. "Of course, we will have to see when we get there. If it turns out she's perfectly fine and this is all just a coincidence, the burning building I mean, I'll hand he'h ovah to you and Dom fo'h a season o'h more."

Varus grimaces. He'd forgotten the possible arson. "Ah heavens. That's a thing, isn't it?"

"It apparently is, sah."  Pushing himself off the wall, Terrence gives Varus a salute. "If you will excuse me, sah, I think now's about the time I need to make the announcement concerning Zeldove and ou'h expedition tomorrow."

Varus returns the salute. "Right, as y' were... Dismissed, Sahgeant. Get yahr rest..."

"Right, thank you sah - one more thing." Terrence stops himself before he goes, "What time will we be departing in the morning, sah?"

Varus rubs his chin. "Th' bloody crack o' dawn, I believe," he replies. "I want this done an' dusted as fast as possible, wot."

"Ah, right then." Terrence nods. "I'll start getting them ready tonight so things go smoothah tomorrow morning then. See you then, sah!" With another salute the sergeant disappears down the hallway to go notify some very soon to be upset privates.

Varus will retire to his private quarters, but not before speaking to the CMO about letting Dominik out of the Mountain...

I play Atticus, John, Lossow, Terrence, and Spruce
The Long Patrol Landing Page!
Usually on the MUCK Saturdays + Monday & Wednesday evenings if I have the time
Fastest way to reach me is via my Discord: Luke_SkyOtter#1438

#2 2020-01-27 07:13:21 PM

BlisaMarshmellow

Re: To find a Missing Hare Tomorrow - LP 1/26/20

I'ma let Dom decide what his char's doctor says.  I would run him telling Varus that Dom isn't well enough to go out on any kind of patrol, but that's just me. wink

I can't wait to see how this little RP arc unfolds big_smile

Board footer