Redwall MUCK Forum

Redwall MUCK is an interactive, multiplayer text game set in Brian Jacques' Redwall universe.

Visit RWMUCK.ORG for more info!

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-01-26 08:05:45 PM

Ol'random
Website

Holidays and Sass in the Forge - LP 1/25/20

Sgt. Felicity,
Lt. Greg,
Sgt. Terrence,
and Pvt. Zeldove, hares.

Takes place before this log...

After a morning of banging metal on an anvil Greg has settled down at a workbench to work on something a little bit quieter. At first it might look like he's doing paperwork, he has it all set out in front of him but then he's got distracted and so instead he appears to be making a ring on top of the paperwork.

Ah, yes, paperwork.  It's so boring and at times frustrating, it's amazing that anyone can focus on it for longer than like 2 seconds.  Felicity has been arguing with it all morning, and is now trying to take a break before she breaks anything.  Hearing a lack of noise from the forge room, the Sergeant decides to visit and see what Greg is doing.  The Runner quietly enters, then pads over to the Smith, paws behind her back so she doesn't accidentally bump anything off of anything.

Gregorian's ears turns as the door opens with a creek. He always refused to fix that. It's a moment before he stops to look at the visitor though "Felicity...the dibbuns haven't locked themselves in somewhere again have they?"

Felicity smiles.  "Well, if they 'ave, I 'aven't 'eard o' it yet, wot!"  She looks at the scattered papers, then at the thing the Smith is fiddling with.  "No, I decided t'stop in t'say 'ello.  Been workin' on papahwork all mornin', an' 'm 'bout ready t'beat th'snot outta somebeast if I 'ave t'do anymoh.  I kinda needed a break."

Gregorian snorts "Probably a good sign that they're where they ought tah be...though I'll admit I'd be happy tah hear Grace was up tah her usual trouble again" she'd been a bit quiet and nervous since the Dom thing. Greg glances back at his own paperwork "Hrm. I fear mine isn't keepin' my attention very well tahday eithah. I promise not tah ask yah tah help if yah promise not tah throw any punches though. How are yah doin'? Work aside"

"Fair 'nough, wot!"  Felicity gets a quizzical look on her face.  "Is Grace...oh, yeah, Dom scared 'er.  'Ow is she doin'?"  When he asks her how she's doing, she gets that distant look in her eyes that comes whenever someone mentions the toads.  Her smile fades, then she forces it, but the smile doesn't make it up to her eyes.  "Oh, y'know....I'm thinkin' o' 'avin' Julia visit Dom 'ere soon," she says, not actually answering the question of how she is.  "I don't 'e actually meant t'scare Grace, an' I don't think 'e would do anythin' t' 'urt th'leverets.  I just wish I could figah out whot all t'do t' 'elp 'im."  She rubs her eye, which makes her look very much like her little sister.  Would helping Dom count as work?  Maybe?

Gregorian sighs heavily when she asks how Grace is "Bettah but she's nevah been in actual dangah before, or seen me in dangah. It's the little things like not wantin' tah sleep when I'm not there, she's...well, she's not her independent, opinionated self" he frowns a little sadly with a bit of worry that he's also trying to hide. He shakes his head "I know Dom didn't mean it, it's like he turned intah anothah beast and lost his mind all ovah again. Problem is it doesn't mattah if he means it, he did it anyway...and don't yah think I didn't notice yah dodgin' the question there. There's somethin' wrong, I can see it" he pushes a stool by the workbench out with his foot "Sit"

Felicity sighs herself and nods.  But her face quickly hardens when he readdresses his question about how she is.  Staring at the stool, she scowls darkly, crosses her arms, and stays standing.  "Whot would make y'think thah's somethin' wrong?  May'ap I'm just still gettin' o'er m'stupid papahwork."  She continues to refuse to sit, because apparently she has an obstinant streak.

Gregorian's expression softens as she refuses and with a sad sigh he gets up instead, going to close the distance between them and try to put a paw on her shoulder as he bends down slightly to look her in the eye "Because it's not the first time yah've avoided the question...and I notice these things"

Felicity keeps scowling, her brow furrowing even more, but she allows him to rest a paw on her shoulder.  Looking into his eyes, she then looks at the floor, her own expression softening as she gently kicks a chair leg.  "....that obvious?"  she asks quietly, keeping her gaze on the peice of furniture she's bumping.

Gregorian keeps staring at her but his shoulders relax slightly when she speaks. In his experience that either works or they double down and storm out "If yah know wot yah lookin' for...Benefit of bein' around for a while, yah get tah know the look...Wot's goin' on?"

Felicity's face crumples slightly, making it look like she may start to cry if she's not careful.  She stays that way for a few moments, her kicking of the chair slowing down until she finally stops.  When she finally does speak, her voice is small, and it even sounds like she may start crying.  "Evah since we got back from th'swamps th'fihrst time, even befoh we went back t'get Dom, I....I've been 'avin' nightmahres an' flashbacks.  Th'toads...." she swallows and takes a few moments to semi-compose herself before continuing.  "M'uncle, Flint, was their slave foh a numbah o' seasons, an' apparently I look a lot like 'im, 'cause they seemed t'recognize me.  An'....an' they were mad...mad at me standin' up durin' th'.....th'trainin'...." tears start to trickle down her cheeks.  "I was tryin' t'make sure th'Recruits could get away safely....." she stops as she tries to stop crying, wiping the tears away furiously, turning to the Smith can't see her face anymore.

Gregorian while apparently pretty good at getting a confession still doesn't entirely know what to do with crying does. His ears go back and the thought 'Oh hell, wot have I done' flash through his head, he has to remind himself that he's done this before and to stay calm. His paw gets dislodged when she turns but he goes to put it back even though she's faced away "Yah alright, I undahstand...somethings they stick with yah. Wot yah went through there..." he frowns at the floor himself, failing for a suitable description.

Terrence had exactly one reason for entering the forge at this time, only one. In his paws the sergeant held an arrow with a crudely made cushion instead of a sharp head - a prototype of sorts. He had hesitated to come to and 'bother' Greg for some time, thinking the blacksmith already had enough on his plate. Of course the realization that things like his request are more or less the reason Salamandastron even has a blacksmith hit Terrence and so here he was, opening the door after a polite knock and saying the words, "Hello there, Lieutenant, mind if I bothah you with an idea I have? I'm planning on using it fo'h..." He trails off, paw still on the door handle, as he takes in the scene in front of him. "The, uh, recruits..." Attention now thoroughly away from why he came, he stands there awkwardly. "Uh, Felicity?" He asks, falteringly, "Everything, uh, alright?" Obviously not, but Terrence can't really think of anything else to say.

Felicity takes a shuddering breath, which absolutely fails at stopping the flow of tears.  "I....I 'aven't told anybeast.....not really.  Sorta told..."  Terrence comes in just then, and she gestures at him to finish her sentence of who else she'd told.  "But....I didn't....put....write a report....'bout it...."  She starts crying harder.  "Don't wanna....get drummed out....can't....Patrol's m'life..."  She starts crying in full earnest now, not able to speak any more words, not even to answer her fellow Sergeant.  Greg's paw on her shoulder is either allowed or ignored.  It's hard to tell which.

Gregorian doesn't even notice the door open until Terrence speaks and he sharply looks up in surprise. His eyes flick between the pair quickly "Erm...Terrence, could yah, erm, would her a hug please, I think that would be wise" he slowly removes and lowers his paw as he delegates the awkwardness before he talks quietly "Felicity, believe me when I say yah not alone in the nightmares, everyone has one that gets them. Yah not gettin' drummed out"

"Excuse me?" Terrence looks rather alarmed at Greg for moment before understanding dawns on him, and he sheepishly nods. "Ah, well, right sah." Setting the mock-up arrow to one side, he stands by Felicity and will hug her if she allows - there is a cautiousness to his movements, however, as he is aware of how hard she can kick when she wants to. What bloody terrible timing, the buck thinks, really have a way with walking in on the absolute perfect moment, don't I?

Felicity isn't sure who to be grumpy at, so she gives Greg a small glare through her tears.  But she can't really do anything more because she's crying too hard.  She lets Terrence give her a hug and she turns to him to hug him in return as she continues to cry.  She's to tired, she can't really do anything more yet.

Gregorian catches that glare but he turns to shut the door again before anyone else happens to stop by "A hug normally helps" he mutters, half reassuring himself. A small sigh and he looks back at the pair and stands there awkwardly for a moment before muttering again "Sorry. I thought perhaps I could help...Don't know that I did though, might be the opposite"

Terrence just gives a fake cough in response, still holding Felicity. Of course there's a part of him that wants to laugh at the predicament, but he feels silence is the best option for now. And he certainly doesn't have a clue about what to say as what he had witnessed was after most of the conversation - leaving him with only a vague notion of what happened before he came in. So he sticks to being quiet with a few pats to her back for comfort and awkwardly avoiding Greg's eyes.

It takes a few minutes for Felicity to calm down.  First she stops crying, then she takes a few shaky breaths.  "Y'coulda 'ugged me y'self," she finally manages to grumble to the Smith.  She starts wiping her cheeks, sniffling.  "I'm just so tired all th'time....'tis like every time I close m'eyes, I c'n see those....those accursed toads agin...."  She hiccups, then coughs.  "We came back an' I was immediately promoted....still not used t'that...tryin' t' 'elp Dom, still raisin' m'sistah....an' then beasts keep askin' 'bout th'toads, which gives me flashbacks...."  She finally steps back from Terrence, although she probably isn't feeling any better, seeing as how she's hugging herself.  "'M 'fraid next time I'm in battle, I'll crack like Dom did...."  So many things to worry about!

Gregorian scratches the back of his ear at the first bit "Hrm, well, I didn't want tah ovah step and make yah uncomfortable or somethin'..." admittedly getting someone else to do it instead is probably worse. He looks back at Felicity when she goes on "...Dom's comin' back. Doesn't mattah wot happens tah yah, him or any of us, we pull each othah back. The flashbacks will fade, yah first time fightin' again might be different or it might not" he suddenly sounds very firm and certain "but yah goin' tah be alright"

"Of course, there is the mattah of when that next fight will be." Terrence speaks up for really the first time since he entered, "I daresay with what Dom did in the swamps means we won't see much of them," The sergeant's making an effort to avoid saying toad, "For some time...So they won't be an issue. At least ou'h next likely foe'll be vermin, and they at least speak the same language as us if that's any comfort to you." With a shrug and a slight smile playing at the corner of his mouth he adds, "And I might crack before you do, Lissie, if not fo'h the same grave reasons. But hopefully we won't have to worry about that fo'h a long time yet."

Felicity's tears have dried up, but she still looks sad, maybe even a little broken.  "I....I 'ope y'both right...I sure don't feel alright," she sniffles, rubbing her eye again.  "I'm always worried 'm gonna wake up screamin' an' scare Julia.  We sleep in th'same bed.  Surprised I 'aven't woken 'er up yet."  She glances at Terrence.  "Why would you crack?  Y'seem t'be 'andlin' bein' a Sergeant an' stuff well."

"Yah might not be alright again yet but yah will be with some time" Greg says before glancing at Terrence and after a moment of thought he nods along "Bit of a fight can even help sometimes...Sometimes feels like yah gettin' control back" he finally shakes his head "We're all one really bad day away from the nightmares"

"Do I?" Terrence responds with a raised eyebrow. "Admittedly I do have more to my life than being a sergeant. And if I have to see Zeldove and the corporal make googly eyes one more time while they're on duty..." He snorts, shaking his head. "But Greg is right. I can't tell you the amount I've read which mentions hares having nightmares. I don't believe you're an odd on out, Lissie."

"Tha's whot th' 'stuff' is, Terrence.  I know y'got more goin' on, y'just seem t' 'ave it all t'gethah."  Felicity looks slightly less sad, though.  "Well, Zolomon an' I are officially just friends, so 'm not surprised Zeldove's makin' 'er move.  Per'aps y'should instruct 'em t'be more proffessional?"  She rubs her upper arms to soothe herself.  "I just.....I've been in battles afore, an' I've nevah been so terrified, or so badly affected aftah."  She then relaxes slightly.  "But....well, okay.  I 'ope they 'urry up an' go away..."

Gregorian hehs faintly at the mention of Zeldove and Zolomon but doesn't comment on that. He scratches his beard as he wanders back towards the workbench to flop on to his stool again "It's not always the fightin' that gets yah. Certainly I've heard it more from recruits who've just killed a beast for the first time but yah went through somethin' terrifyin' and personal and then yah got yah added stress of everythin' else...Maybe wot yah need is a holiday"

"Perhaps..." Terrence echoes, picking the mock arrow up again. "I do have a feeling Zolomon might say yes sah in the moment then continue on the same way as always." He coughs. "Honestly I don't really want to talk about him right now. I daresay you did get a dose of stress right aftah you made it out- being made a sergeant and immediately fulfilling the duties that come with that, due to the short supply of hares, you've more than likely been pressed more than you should've..."

Felicity looks slightly flustered.  "Well, I mean....we're s'possed t'be able t'face anythin', rise up t'any challenge..."  She starts fidgeting and shifting on her feet.  "A 'oliday?  I can't take a vacation!  Like Terrence just said" (because scapegoats are the best invention ever) "we're short on 'ares!  Can't afford f'r me t'go on a 'oliday!  Besides, 'ow would that affect Dom?  Or th'new trainin' thing Terrence is comin' up wi'?  I was wantin' t' 'elp wi' that."  So many excuses to not take care of her mental health!

Gregorian snorts "We're hares, not invincible badgahs or somethin'. Risin' tah the challenge doesn't mean we're not allowed tah be scared of it. We'll be even shortah on good hares if yah don't learn tah stop and rest sometimes" he finally gives Terrence another look at the mention of the training thing and raises an eyebrow at the arrow.

"Felicity." Terrence says, tipping his head to one side as if to get a better look rather, "You said yourself you're scared you'll snap. You will if you continue adding things on - and who said anything about not seeing Dom? Besides, if you'h scared also fo'h the hares undah you I can look aftah them - because we're so short on hares its not like I'll beyond the limit expected fo'h a sergeant." He winks. "As long as Zolomon doesn't run off with Zeldove fo'h bloody wintah picnics, I should be fine." His eyes follow Greg's gaze to the arrow. "Ah, this. Speaking of those two, I wanted to have a safe way fo'h them to practice on targets that are charging towards them to give them a little lesson on why all the close combat is important, because I don't think it's sinking in."

Felicity continues to fidget, her shifting from foot to foot turning into full-out pacing.  "But Majah Varus just put me in charge o' 'im until 'e thinks Dom's ready f'r full active duty agin...."  The thought of taking a break, even with Terrence's reassurance (and Greg's cautionary statement) being obviously valid, is something she's not really very comfortable with, apparently.  She stops mid-pace and stares at her fellow Sergeant.  "Wait, they're not?  Zolomon survived the battle t'reclaim Redwall, 'ow could 'e not take this seriously?!"  Yes, let's change the subject so maybe she can get away with not taking a vacation tongue

Gregorian eyes the arrow "Hrm. Trust me when I say recruits will find a way tah get hurt wotevah yah do but but it's an important lesson...Could double up as a lesson on how tah approach bow beasts without gettin' shot too" he folds his arms and leans back against the workbench, looking a bit thoughtful "Hrm, maybe Dom needs a holiday too. I could have a word with Varus ovah it"

"Indeed. But hurt doesn't mean dead, eh?" Terrence smiles more fiendishly than is normal for him. "I'm joking, of course. I don't need more hares moaning about this o'h that. As for you'h majah," He turns back to Felicity, shrugging. "I could try and speak with him, if you'd want... He seems to like me, half the time at least." Of course, once Dom is brought in for needing holiday too, his lips purse. "I don't think letting Dom leave the mountain would be a good idea. Too many dumb beasts out in the wild who'd end up dead by his paws, I think." Holding the arrow out to Gregorian, he shrugs. "Really what I hope to do is to get it in both Zolomon's and Zeldove's heads that personal skill really doesn't mean a thing when faced with numbahs."

Felicity notes the fiendish look on the other Sergeant's face, and secretly decides she likes him better when he's like this, instead of all proper.  But instead of saying that, she focuses on the idea of them talking to Varus.  "Could you?  I mean..."  Part of her really wants to, but the more stubborn part of her wants to not take their advice to heart.  "I wouldn't be leavin' th'Mountain much -- I don't feel comfortable takin' Julia t' 'Alyahd or whotevah.  So Dom could still take th'time off with me 'ere in Salamandastron.  I could leave 'em both be'ind to visit th'village."  Hey, she's figuring out ways to make this work, instead of arguing about all the ways it couldn't possibly work out.  Progress!  "An' I agree wi' y', Terrence."  She gestures at the arrow.  "They're not gods, they can't shoot a dozen arrows in th'span o' a pawful o' 'eartbeats."

Gregorian nods at Terrence as he points out Dom probably shouldn't be leaving "Fair point, not a good ideah. Hangin' around the mountain wouldn't be much different tah wot he's been doin' lately but anythin' that keeps him out of the catacombs it good tah me" he leans back again, squinting at he thinks on the subject of the Z's "I don't mind a little personal competition. Bettin' who's the fastest, strongest, that's just part of the patrol. They're good hares, so long as they're workin' with everyone and not runnin' off ahead when no one can keep up or thinkin' they're invincible then, well" he shrugs. There's a faint smile as it seems like Felicity is finally giving in to the idea of a break "Yah deserve a lie in at least once a year"

"I can talk to him. Hopefully." Terrence says, sounding a bit unconvinced himself. "Zolomon and Zeldove need to learn how to work with the rest of the unit..." Shrugging again, he doesn't have the happiest expression on. "Still, I think some ideas are best shown rathah than told - competition is seems useless fo'h living through a fight, at least to me, sah."

Felicity smiles slightly.  "Wellll...okay.  I guess I could use some time off, maybe...."  She'll wait to see what happens.  Thinking for a few moments, she adds, "An' while competition c'n lend itself well t'earnin' respect, y'need t'also know 'ow t'be a team in ordah t'survive.  I think anythin' that c'n teach that is worth it, so long as nobeast dies, wot!  An' from volunteerin' wi' th'leverets, I've come t'th'conclusion that all lessons are bettah leahned from experience instead o' a lecture."

Gregorian hrms quietly "If they're braggin' on the battlefield I'll certainly agree. A friendly competition in peace times I'd allow but we all do need tah work tahgethah. We'll see how they take tah the trainin' and if they all work as a team" he glances back to Felicity with a faint smirk "Heh, the dibbuns just taught me tah fear silence...means they're up tah somethin'"

Terrence nods. "Considering I plan on being one of the hare being shot at, I certainly hope no one dies." The sergeant gestures towards the arrow. "The idea I had was a more round-almost ball shape cushion of sorts. The strength of the bows will also have to be reduced, I think - goodness knows the hares need to start learning with thei'h own eyes instead of thei'h ears listening to me."

Felicity smirks back at the Smith.  "Aye, tha's true, too."  She turns her smirk to Terrence, imagining him getting shot at by overly enthusiastic Recruits and Privates.  "Well, I've always believed that y'll get moh respect when y'participate in th'drills wi' th' 'ares undah you.  Just make sure t'take off y'glasses befoh'and so y'don't 'ave t'get anothah replacement paih from Greg, 'kay?"

"Recuits usin' eyes when learnin' tah use a bow, novel ideah. Certainly not traditional" Greg mutters "They shoot each othah every year, may as well make some of it on purpose" he offers out a paw for the arrow to have a look at it. He snorts and smirks at Felicity's words "If only there was a way tah make yah some glasses yah foes couldn't break"

"Glad you understand, sah." Terrence says, "And I certainly don't plan on needing a replacement anytime soon, Lissie. Besides, I doubt I'll be hit in the face." He scrunches his nose. "Of course now that I say that I certainly will be now, won't I?"

Felicity snerks at Greg's sarcasm, then laughs out loud at Terrence's procolmation.  "Even if y' 'adn't said tha', y'still shouldn't take such chances as leavin' y'glasses on."  She looks at the floor, still smiling, then looks between the 2 bucks.  "...thanks.  I feel bettah than I 'ave in weeks.  Months, even, maybe."  She straightens.  "I 'ope Varus agrees wi' you.  I think I should go check on Dom an' m'sistah.  I'll see you 2 latah."  She smiles at the Smith, then at her fellow Sergeant.  Her gaze lingers for a moment longer, then she turns and walks out of the room.

Gregorian snorts at Terrence "Hah! Yep, yah've doomed yahself before yah've even started" he nods to Felicity as she's leaving "Yah take care" there's a long pause after she's out the door again before he speaks again "Well, touch and go for a moment there but worked out in the end"

"Indeed, Felicity! Goodbye for now." Terrence says before she goes. "Well, perhaps the training'll prove if I jinxed it o'h not." Falling quiet as well, he nods when Greg speaks again, responding, "Hopefully, sah, hopefully..."

Gregorian glances around to the workbench behind him and his shoulders deflate as he remembers the paperwork he'd been ignoring before Felicity arrived "So long as they learn somethin' from yah bruised face yah can still call it a success"

With a laugh Terrence looks around the forge. "Well, I could borrow any helmets you have laying about to avoid being bruised, sah. O'h commission you fo'h them if you'h in want of work." He grins.

Gregorian gestures at the walls of the forge where some of the weapons and armour hang "Help yahself, there's more in the armoury. I encourage the use of one that'll covah yah face since yah jinxed though it'll limit yah vision...not sure how well some of them would fit glasses actually now I think about it"

"Any sallet helmets? The hinged visah might fight spectacles easiah." Terrence says even as he moves to look around the forge. "Perhaps this exercise can also serve as an excuse to make the division start wearing helms as a regulah piece of the uniform..."

Gregorian squints as he tries to remember what they've got "Hmm. Yeah, I think there's some in the armoury. Couldn't tell yah how old they are. Yah need that many helmets let me know first eh?" he digs through the papers on the workbench as he's talking in an attempt to find something "I tried makin' a chest piece light enough for everyday patrollin' once. Somewot of a work in progress"

Zeldove has learned her way around, for the most part but she does get a couple doors mixed up still at times, of course when  she walks in she is reminded right away, "Again..I did it again not the blooming Library." She pouts and then sees the two hares and right away straightens up and has a salute ready.

Terrence heads for the back, saying over his shoulder, "Well, sah, its you'h division too so just give the ordah... Oh." He grabs a helmet from a rack, blowing dust off. "Found one, though it looks a bit small fo'h me." When Zeldove enters he calls, "At ease private! The library's the third doo'h on the left." He emerges from the back holding a lobster-backed sallet helm that may or may not have a bit of rust on the rim. "Doesn't covah the jaw, but works fo'h the eyes, I'd think... Just need to get it cleaned."

Gregorian looks faintly surprised as if he forgot he was in charge "That is true...heh, yah forget the ranks in here sometimes" he glances around when Zeldove appears and he chuckles "Again. I have a book around here somewhere if it'll help yah feel less foolish" another turn and he narrows his eyes at the helmet Terrence has and then looks around "Hm, well we've got everythin' for cleanin' of course" he just has to remember where he left it.

Zeldove is just curious "Why the helmet sur?"She frowns and hopes its not something they plan to make others where. She nods at the book "I can return a book sur"

"The moveable visah, the neck protection, the general lightness..." Terrence lists off, setting the helmet down on the bench. "Make it more practical than some great helm fo'h battle and whatnot." Blinking he looks around the forge, trying to search for the cleaning 'stuff' despite having no clue what it looks like. "Shameful to say it, but I honestly cannot remembah last time I returned a book to the library- of course I usually just read them in there, so the pile ups not that bad..."

Gregorian stares at the helmet for a second, silently wondering if he can improve it before he snaps out of it and finds the right box for removing rust and cleaning supplies. He dumps it on the workbench by Terrence "Oh, the book is mine. I was just offahin' tah make the place seem more like a library in here for yah"

Zeldove nods and looks between them "And wouldn't a helmet be...bad in a fight, be hard ta see things on the sides and maybe in the front  at times, got to see well in a fight right?

After examining the cleaning supplies for a moment, Terrence turns around to face Zeldove with a raised eyebrow and slight grin. "What's the easiest way to kill somebeast?" He taps his temple. "Go fo'h the head. A helmet can protect against most blows from blades o'h stones o'h arrows - and this particular type," the sergeant picks up the helm and lifts the visor up, "Has a moveable visah so you can see. Generally the only time the visah'd be down is fo'h heavy combat, and it's easy enough to see through."

Gregorian gestures to Terrence as he looks back at his paperwork "Wot he said. Seein's good. Livin's bettah. Armour has its uses, particulahly in the stayin' alive department"

Zeldove frowns "Looks uncomfortable to wear and..well maybe for like large battle sometime, not gonna go wearing it all the time, it be  dumb and like how often are we gonna be like..lets go fight so and so."

The look on Terrence's face is far from pleased. "Well, it isn't in the regs yet, so you don't have to weah it. But I can't say I told you so when you'h dead." He turns the helmet upside down to look inside. "Usually there's a clevah set of straps inside so it keeps the metal from touching the head, but these seem to have worn away. It's only about five pounds, so it's not that heavy. Specially compared the packs we'll all be carrying in the field."

Gregorian keeps looking at his paperwork as he talks "Yah can't always predict a fight" but he looks up with a frown as Terrence says the straps are missing. He sighs irritably "I'm goin' tah have tah do a propah inventory and check for this stuff, beasts just keep puttin' them back when they're broken. Pass it ovah and I'll get it fixed for yah"

Zeldove sighs "Helmets are not something I ever had to wear in  the defenders...." She could of worn one  but had chosen not to wear one, helmets to her are dumb"Well..wot if a fight happens while one is..walking to or from Halyard, not gonna be wearing a helmet then, they are like when ya know there is a battle to like..come" She starts to go back out of the room looking bored now.

"Of course you wouldn't be in uniform even in that case." Terrence grits his teeth as he hands the old helm over. "You aren't in the defendahs anymore. And you can't just go off to Halyard when on duty- it isn't in ou'h jurisdiction anymore." When she leaves he turns to Gregorian and lets out a long sigh. "You see why I need the mock-arrows? They don't seem to take my word fo'h things."

Zeldove was in the hall, big on WAS and this is one of those times she  clearly is not totally thinking as she pokes her head back in a moment "I have not went to Halyard when on duty..why would I? Heck more free time be lovely Sergeant bossy" She then  hmmphs and  storms into the hallway before  she hears any sort of reply back, likely not  wise to do.

Gregorian takes the helmet but frowns at Zeldove "Mmm" is his response to Terrence. He shakes his head and looks down at the helmet to inspect it but before he can say anything Zeldove leaves and returned with sass. Greg's head shoots back up with a glare and his jaw tightens but he doesn't need to chase her down the halls "Send a runnah in here. She's not goin' tah be enjoyin' any free time for a while"

"I sense the second coming of Cera..." Terrence mutters, stepping towards the door. "Well, she'll regret it when training starts. I'm not going to give he'h special treatment and I certainly won't have Zolomon doing so eithah." He pokes his head out looking up and down the hall and waves a hare in. "Reuenthal, mind coming in here fo'h a sec?" The runner does, looking from the lieutenant to the sergeant, saying, "Sahs?"

"I was thinkin' of Hanzi" Greg mutters back irritably "But yah right, Cera did call me bossy. Bloody idiotic" he nods to Reuenthal and quickly digs out a blank bit of paper to write some orders on "Take this tah Private Zeldove and inform her tah her disrespectful attitude has earned her a spot in the kitchens washin' dishes until I say othahwise...and inform Corporal Zolomon if he tries tah help her with the chores I'll have him separated and cleanin' the trainin' rooms every night"

"Sah!" Reuenthal takes the paper with a salute and exits.

"I do hope Zolomon doesn't try to help he'h..." Terrence sighs, rubbing his temples "I need a healthy corporal and I don't need him falling asleep on the job... Why in the blazes the brass didn't put Zeldove in Mjr. Varus' division is beyond me, but we're stuck now."

Gregorian looks irritable as his eyes return to the helmet "My concern is not that Zolomon will actively defy ordahs given tah him directly but that she will ask and he will not see his help as a problem. The warning will hopefully be sufficient tah prevent that" he glances back to Terrence briefly before his angry tone finally softens a little "Grab me a tea and get one for yahself but take yah time, yah need the break"

"I suppose that's true." Dipping his head, Terrence nods. "Thank you sah. I won't be too long." The sergeant says in passing, leaving the warm room.

I play Atticus, John, Lossow, Terrence, and Spruce
The Long Patrol Landing Page!
Usually on the MUCK Saturdays + Monday & Wednesday evenings if I have the time
Fastest way to reach me is via my Discord: Luke_SkyOtter#1438

#2 2020-01-27 05:00:42 PM

BlisaMarshmellow

Board footer