Redwall MUCK Forum

Redwall MUCK is an interactive, multiplayer text game set in Brian Jacques' Redwall universe.

Visit RWMUCK.ORG for more info!

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-12-06 06:52:35 PM

Ol'random
Website

Erg the Blog-Slayer, Round X: And so it Ends... - LP 12/5/19

Thanks to everyone who took part not just in this RP but the entire mini-TP, especially Dom!

Pvt. Dominik A. Kasimir,
Lt. Gregorian F. Harthwill,
Sgt. Felicity E. Rosinbloom,
and Sgt. Terrence W.H. Cadwallader, hares.

Since his cave was found, a final attempt to retrieve Dom is begun...

In the predawn light the camp was busting, with hares going this way and that. All the movement centered around one spot, were the smoke of the cooking fire rose high into the sky. Despite the cold, hares who are not on errands (or somehow still sleeping) are standing nearby the kitchen tent, waiting for breakfast. Terrence, however, was not one of these.

The sergeant was overseeing the cleaning and preparations for what was hoped the final expedition into the wider swamp around them. Leg wraps, great coats, and nets lay on tables before him, and he was currently working on a rather nasty tangle in one with a private on the other end.

Gregorian had been one of the first awake but not necessarily up and about. His leg ached worst in the mornings so if he was going to be marching about all day he just had to wake earlier and let the medication work. By the time they were getting ready he was back in working condition and appears out of his tent. With breakfast still being worked on he heads to check on preparations instead "Sergeant." he greets as he heads for Terrence, "All set up and ready?"

"I don't bloody care whot 'e did!  'Tis bad enough we could 'ave enemies attack us at any moment, we don't need t'be rippin' the Patrol apart!!"  Felicity is lecturing the pair of Privates whose fight she had to break up the other day.  One has a black eye, and the other has a bloody lip.  They appear to not like each other.  "I'm gonna write a report f'r y'Majahs, because so 'elp me, I've 'ad enough o' y'2 idiots tryin' t'kill each othah!"  She sets them to work in the kitchen doing the yuckiest work, the she marches over to the preparations table, fury communicated in every muscle of her body.  If she wasn't wearing her hat, her ears would be standing up straight and rigid.  "C'n y'believe those idiots?!"

"Sah," Terrence gives a tired salute to the lieutenant, "Just 'bout so, sah." He flips the net over, being careful to keep it open on his side- the private, for his part, manages to make it half-way so the net is folded in on oneside. "Sorry 'bout that, Reuenthal," The bespectacled hare mutters as he set about straitening the laced ropes, "Forgot to worn you..." Both sergeant and private look over as Felicity makes here presence known, and the latter barely suppresses a chuckle. Terrence pauses in his unknot making, looking at her over his spectacles. "I think I can, wot. Course depends on what they did, this time?" He asks, vaguely aware of who the trouble makers are - all he really knows is that they're not in his division, thank goodness.

Gregorian eyes the private caught in the net but he's not asking how that happened. They've had enough trouble with traps for him to think twice about asking how anyone gets caught in anything. "Good, good...One good push out tah get him and we'll be home." he looks around as he hears Felicity coming "Hmm. Longah yah share a tent the more the tempers flair. Wot happened this time?"

Meanwhile, further out within the marshes within the cave that the trackers had spotted the previous day, the massive form of Erg sits hunched in the corner, the shadows covering him and only providing brief glimpses of his stony, grim expression. The floor of the cave is littered with bones; they are all toad bones, but still, it doesn't make the scene any less morbid or disturbing. The small fire that he'd used to basically keep himself alive still flickers and burns within the center of the cave, and it throws odd shadows upon the opposite cave wall that dance and wave with the movements of the flames. His latest catch is skewed on a stick and is leaning over the fire, the toad roasting and sizzling as the mad hare simply stares at it, his blue eyes flickering. His uniform had been torn quite badly in a previous excursion, and whatever was left of it hangs off of his shoulders, the remaining cloth dirty and covered in rips and tears. Erg's fur is dirty as well, his true color really difficult to discern at this point in time. Sections of him are colored black with dirt and mud, while other sections still hold tiny traces of his previous mahogany color. The majority of his fur however is a dirty shade of white, a result of the hare's winter coat coming in. It makes him look rather patchwork and haphazard, only adding to his jumbled and crazy appearance. He simply crouches there and waits, seemingly knowing that sooner or later, they would find the cave. He truly hopes it is soon, for he wishes to put an end to things once and for all. Whatever form that would take, well...that would remain to be seen.

Felicity scowls darkly.  "They got into a fistfight ovah who knows what!  Yestahday they shoved each othah inta traps that we 'ad some'ow missed!  If they fight 1 more time, so 'elp me..."  She looks ready to sock someone in the face.  "I 'onsetly don't know whot they're fightin' about, eithah.  They only tell me whot th'othah did, not whot started the blasted thing!"

The private, Reuenthal, is freed from the net after a bit of struggling on both his and Terrence's part. "I see." The sergeant says, starting to fold the net more neatly. "If you want unsolicited advice, I'd suggest making both of them do triple the work they normally do, if you've not done so already... especially if they continue." The private, now having nothing left to do, just looks from higher ranking hare to hare. "Reuenthal, go get food." Terrence says, setting the now folded net with the others on the table. Once the private is gone, the sergeant sits down nearby Felicity and Greg. "Welp, that's that part done..."

Gregorian grunts and then shakes his head at Felicity's description, "I'd be willin' tah bet money they don't remembah what started it now eithah or they at least can't decide wot came first anymore." he nods to Terrence's suggestion, "Seems reasonable. At least until who evah their superior officah is can get tah them."

Felicity smiles grimly, and perhaps a little wickedly.  "Oh, that's a great idea!  Be right back..." she marches off to the kitchen tent, where she can be heard giving a series of orders.  After a few minutes, she returns, scribbling on a piece of paper.  "I wish I'd thought o' that.  This whole Sergeant thing is still pretty new and overwhelming."  Seeing as how she hasn't even had the time to change the applique on her jacket from her Corporal's marks, that may be a touch of an understatement.  "They're goin' t' 'ate me," she mutters without the slightest sign of remorse, just her grim smile.  She may be nearing her own breaking point.  This tiny campaign will be over soon, right?

Dominik, completely oblivious to whatever scuffles and fights are occurring at the Patrol camp, ever so slowly rises from his position, emerging from the shadows like a wraith as he takes a step towards the fire. A hefty paw reaches out, grabbing the still-cooking toad, and brings it up to his muzzle where he tears a large chunk out of the flesh, chewing and swallowing, his expression still stony and emotionless. After taking another few bites, he tosses it down, taking a step or two towards the entrance to his cave. He stands there a moment, eyes staring out into the marshes, before a frown crosses his muzzle. The giant hare exits his cave, slipping back out into the marshes, slinking off to who knows where. Who knows? Only Erg.

Standing once she returns, Terrence nods to both his fellow sergeant and superior officer. "Anyway, all this stuff," he waves to the gear laid out on the table, "Great-coats and wraps for the weather and the nets for, well," leaving the purpose unsaid, he continues. "All should be set for today, sah. And right now I think I might go get a bite to eat-" He salutes to Greg, then waves to Felicity as he exits the tent to pursue the scent of breakfast. "I'll see you two later, wot."

Gregorian hehs. "If they hate yah yah probably doin' alright." he throws a quick salute back Terrence's way as the hare leaves before he turns attention out to the swamps to just stare for a moment as he talks, "Probably helps if yah not their friends eithah, sad tah say. It's a fine balance and I don't think anyone evah gets it right. Firm enough tah demand yah word is followed but at the same time they need trust yah more than they trust themselves sometimes."

Felicity frowns.  "Oh."  She folds up the paper and stuff it and her pencil back into her pocket.  Buttoning the pocket shut, she sighs.  "Well...I've nevah seen 'em afore 'cept durin' trainin' exercises, so I got that goin' f'r me."  She stares sadly in the direction Gregorian is looking.  "I guess may'ap 'tis good I nevah 'ad many friends, then.  Don't 'ave t'worry as much 'bout that."  She sounds sad, though.  She knew this promotion would have it's downsides....

Gregorian looks back at her as she's sounding sad. "Now, now, I didn't say yah couldn't have any friends. I'll gladly joke with Jin while followin' ordahs." he's not even calling her Major, "Used tah be I'd avoid the officahs like the plague for fear of sayin' something that would get me in trouble. These days I'd call a of them few friends. Yah hang around the rec room enough and they'll get past the uniform. Just make sure, no mattah who they are, yah still prepared tah yell their ears off when they do somethin' stupid."

Felicity looks up at him, smiling slightly.  "Really, sah?  Y'know, I've always struggled t'make time t'relax with othah 'ares.  Too busy wi' m'sistah an' patrollin', y'know?"  She figures he understands, since he has a daughter and all.  "I don't really know 'ow."

Gregorian looks at her quietly for a minute, just thinking of his words before he speaks. "Felicity, soonah or latah yah sistah is goin' tah grow up but while she does she's goin' tah be learnin' how from you. It's not always easy and yah can't juggle everythin'. Late night drinkin' and random unplanned trips tah Halyard are right out but the mountain has hares who's entire job it is tah look aftah dibbuns while their parents are out on patrol. Yah've been out here for a few weeks and when yah get back she'll be fine. Yah can go out for a night sometimes without feelin' like yah neglectin' her...Believe me it can take a few tries. Making plans and cancellin' them or cuttin' them short because yah feel yah have tah get back but as she gets oldah it'll do her good tah have the space tah figure out things on her own sometimes too." he looks back out to the swamps again before continuing, "Love tah say I practice wot I preach of course but I do work too much...If I can fit in one quick drink before pickin' her up from time tah time I will though."

Felicity is sad, but she knows he's right.  "I....'tis 'ard, you're right.  I'm just the only fam'ly she 'as left....'tis 'onestly easiah t'not do much else othah than work and be with 'er.  We lost our parents an' brothah when I was a Recruit.  She couldn't even 'old 'er 'ead up, she was so small.  The othah 'ares my age stopped talkin' t'me when I became basically 'er mothah.  It's been 'ard evah since."  She refrains from mentioning the harsh remarks said behind her back.  She's not wanting pity.

Gregorian nods along. "Yah had it hard at a very young age. Recruits aren't usually the family sort. More interested in the drinks aftah trainin' and if yah can't be part of that, well..." she obviously knows "Yah look around yah now though...Well, there's less hares tah see now but hares who lost families are in abundance. As are privates who have settled in tah their lives and are lookin' tah start one. Yah already have multiple options confessin' tah yah already. Heh. The hares yah age are finally catchin' yah up...Hares my age have already had their families grow up." he's been mistaken for Grace's grandfather multiple times but he fortunately has a look that means he generally only has to correct someone once.

Felicity smiles, then blushes.  "Yeah....I don't even know whot t'do about those 2..."  She smiles.  "May'ap I'll take y'advice an' spend more time wi' 'ares my age.  Or our age...ish."  Her eyes crinkle as she includes him in her age group.  Maybe he'll feel less old now.  "Maybe I can 'elp the 'ares who didn't 'ave to grow up as fast until recently."

Gregorian shrugs. "Hell if I know, nevah had two bucks likin' me at once before. Spend some time with each of them if they can take the competition and try tah figure it out and let them down gently?...And don't just pick yah favourite. Yah allowed tah decide yah don't like eithah of them if that's wot yah feel like." he snorts with amusement when he gets included in the age group, "That's a pretty big 'ish'...Everyone's had tah grow up a lot since Redwall. Yah might have yah work cut out...But maybe yah can start on Dom. If we can get in tah the head of that one and get the crazy out it'll be a good start."

Felicity thinks for a minute.  Not pick either of them?  That's news to her!  But maybe good news.  "I'll think 'bout that.  An' they c'n 'elp wi' m'sistah, too.  Can't marry a buck whot can't 'andle Julia, wot!"  She becomes more serious, her smile disappearing, as Dominik is mentioned.  "Aye.  I 'ope we can get 'im back without anybeast gettin' 'urt.  I was...I was 'opin' t'talk t' 'im about the leverets -- 'e 'elps with 'em, so I thought maybe 'e would miss them.  But I think my idea was..." she looks at the net and stuff "...downvoted."  Glaring at the trapping stuff for a moment, she adds, "I was already plannin' on doin' m'best t' 'elp Dom come back t'us.  I was captured by the toads f'r a week, so I 'ave an idea of whot it was like.  I only 'ope I c'n get through t' 'im."

"Just don't let who yah sistah likes be yah only way of judgin'. Yah not yah sistah and yah have tah like them too...othahwise yah may as well just marry whichevah dibbun sittah she likes best" Greg says with a snort, his last bit of advice before he looks back at the swamps. He lowers his voice as they're aware Dom sometimes liked to lurk and listen in "Hm. He did seem tah like workin' with the dibbuns. Problem is, the way he's been, we're worried about someone gettin' hurt. If yah can calm him and stop him figthin' maybe we can avoid the trouble but yah can't get close. If he's goes aftah anyone...well I'd rathah we catch him and have tah calm him down in a cell than have him hurt someone."

Felicity shuffles his advice away in her mind, appreciating the advice he's given her.  Makes her wistful for her dad and brother, though...  "Oh, don't worry, I wasn't gonna get within his arm's reach," she murmurs back.  "Plus, I know I'm fastah an' lightah on m'paws than 'e is, even on 'is good days.  I think I'd be okay, so long as I stayed outta arm's reach."

At that moment Terrence returns from the meal, nursing a mug of tea that steams in the cold air. "Welp, good morning again!" With a smile and slight wave of a paw he comes back into the tent, much more awake than before- and in a better mood than he's been in for the entire trip. The sergeant, completely unaware of where the conversation went in his absence, sits back down in his chair. "I'm glad you won't get in reach of his arms - I don't want another hare tossed at me!" He laughs.

Gregorian can dish out the advice though with his bumpy love life he talks better than he lives. He looks back as Terrence reappears. "I imagine the experience was not pleasant for Zolomon eithah. If we can avoid angerin' him altogethah I'll be pleasantly surprised."

Felicity gives Terrence a low-smoldering glare.  "Aye.  So long as nobeast goes insultin' 'im, everythin' will be fine.  Mm, might be good t'keep Zolomon back, too."  She sighs and rubs her eyes.  She hasn't eaten yet today because she's a genius.  "I doubt we can avoid angerin' 'im, though, if we do end up 'avin' t'chuck a net o'er 'im.  Oh, poor Dom.....stupid, blasted toads..."  the haremaid stumps off to the kitchen tent, cursing the toads under her breath.

Like a bucket of water on embers, the glare brings Terrence back to normal. He remains silent until the other sergeant leaves, were he sighs. "Zolomon brought it on himself, sah. I told him to stay cleah of Dom and he didn't." Burying himself in the mug, he finishes the tea. "I think being thrown and knocked out was punishment enough for that. And speaking of private Dominik, I don't think he likes our corporal that much...Or me, for that mattah."

Gregorian hasn't yet eaten either and as soon as he figures out where Felicity is going he yells after her, "Grab some for me too" before he looks back at Terrence. "Hrm. So I heard aftah his last appearance. Perhaps yah the one who needs tah watch about gettin' grabbed. If he focuses on yah I'd be very careful."

Felicity gives Greg the thumbs-up sign, then enters the kitchen tent.  She gone for a few minutes, then comes trudging back carrying 2 heaping plates of steaming food.  She offers 1 to the Lieutenant, pulls a spoon out of her pocket and hands it to him, then pulls another out and starts eating her breakfast.  She missed what they had said about people getting chucked around and stuff, so she just chows down without a word.

"Of course, sah." Terrence sets his now empty mug down, turning towards the lieutenant. "I had thought at the time to try and get Dom to chase me - and for him to focus on me rather than Zolomon. I'd honestly thought the corporal was about to bite the dust, so to say, and I did what came to mind first." The sergeant shifts, uncomfortable. "Daresay it was stupid of me at the time, fo' sure."

Gregorian settles in to a seat while he's waiting. "It's a fine ideah on papah but even when it's planned and practiced," he pauses to take his breakfast and nod thanks to Felicity, "Bein' bait is a dangerous thing. Nevah mind if yah try and improvise it. It can work but if it doesn't it can go badly wrong."

Felicity nods, but eats her food in silence, saddened by what they might have to do later in the day.  Trapping Dominik is the last thing she wants to do...

Terrence nods, sparing a glance at Felicity before going back to Greg. "I know sah, had I time to plan things I'd nevah try aggravating and using myself as bait." Another sigh comes from him, and the sergeant looks back at the gear all laid out neatly on the table as hares start to filter in and prepare for the coming day. The sun is risen by now and already the mist on the marsh is clearing.

Gregorian eats fast when he needs to. Never let a mission make you miss a meal. "We'll stick tah tryin' tah talk him down and the net. I just hope we can get t his done tahday." he can see the hares all getting ready so he's getting up again, getting ready to leave.

Felicity finishes her breakfast in a hurry, too, suddenly wondering if her idea will actually be allowed to happen.  She gets what she needs to grab, ready as she'll ever be to go try and save her friend.

Now that the hares of the patrol are equipped and ready, they set off. Terrence, as usual, is bringing up the rear, the sergeant falling back to his usually quiet and somber mood. The scout who had found the way to the cave are leading them, and, so far, the path has been safe and clear of traps.

Gregorian doesn't take long to gather his things and join the others in time to leave the camp. He walks in silence. His ears twitching about as he watches the swamps as he walks, following the scouts.

As the hares approach the location of Dom's cave, even amidst the early morning light, there is a certain spookiness and strange feeling that comes over the Patrollers as they get closer and closer. As they have generally made it past most of Erg's defenses he had spread in a wide range around the marsh surrounding said cave, there are oddly very few traps within close range of the large hare's chosen home. Finally, the cave comes into view, and it is an odd and macabre sight. In the trees surrounding the cave are hung multiple toad skeletons, most of them slowly swaying in the breeze, their bones making a chilling rattling noises as the shift back and forth. The cave itself is quiet, the mouth dark and foreboding, and there are a trail of toad bones that lead up to it, and away in the other direction. Who would be the first to approach? That would be up to the Patrollers, themselves. Still, there is no sound from within, though the smell isn't exactly what one might call pleasant.

Felicity slips through the ranks on silent feet, helping a Private here, steadying a Corporal there.  It's as if she's a ghost, that's how silent she is.  As she passes both Zolomon and Terrence, she slips them each a note.  The words are the same for both: 'I'm sorry I've been so mad.  I just don't like it when my friends put themselves in danger.  I hope you can forgive me, and that this all turns out okay.'  When she had time to write these notes is a mystery.  As they approach the cave, she makes her way to the front, eyeing the skeletons with distaste, but no fear.  She looks to the commanding officers, waiting for the signal for what to do.

"There it is!" The scouts stop some hundred yards from the cave, with one pointing forward. "What now, eh?" The other asks, looking back at the hares. Terrence remains silent, watching and waiting for orders, if they come. He's not willing to put his hat in this ring as he fears he will make things worse, but when the note is handed to him he reads it, wondering when she wrote them and brightening a little. The three scouts at the head look ready to go in, and they're waiting for the word.

Gregorian's jaw tightens as he looks at all the skeletons as they're getting closer. "Wot the hell happened tah yah Dom." he mutters. He nods to the scouts, "Careful for traps. Check it out tah see if he's in there or if yah see any fresh tracks goin' back out." he nods to the sergeants, "Nets and talkin', there's yah jobs. Get too it soon as they find him."

Upon entering the cave, the first thing to hit them besides the smell, is the fact that there is still a small fire burning within the center of the cave. There are more bones scattered about, as well as various broken pieces of pottery, various sticks, and roasted toad corpses in various states of decay. On the walls of the cave, revealed by the dim light of the fire, are various writings and little pictures drawn here and there of what appears to be utter nonsense upon first glance. It is all very surreal and unsettling. Despite all the odd things found in the cave, Dom is not amongst them...though whatever remained of his uniform lies there tattered at the mouth of the cavern. There are tracks leading away from the cavern, however, that head out into the marsh.

Felicity nods.  Talking.  She can handle that.  As she waits for the scouts to reappear, she glides back to her fellow Sergeant and murmurs, "I'll try talkin' t' 'im, if I can.  May'ap 'e'll come without resistance when 'e 'ears whot I 'ave t'say.  An' don't worry, I'll be careful," she smiles at him a little, then turns her attention back to what's happening at the cave.

"Yes sah." Terrence doesn't move ahead immediately, letting the scouts inspect the ground in front of the cave first. "Freshest tracks lead from in there, wot." One scout says, covering their snout. "Back that aways!" They point in the direction the paw prints lead off to. "So, Felicity," Terrence says, doing his best not to gag at the sight and smells coming from the cave. "Should go in or follow the trail? Frankly I don't think I have the constitution to go closer, wot."

"Follow th'trail, o' course!"  Felicity says as if it's obvious.  "We're 'ere t'get Dom, not inspect 'is new home decor ideas."  She nods for the scouts to lead the way.  Her face seems tighter, her nostrils narrower, but other than that, she doesn't seem affected by the scent of the place.  Maybe she's encountered the same or worse on all of her patrols and adventures.

A short distance from the cave, the tracks lead directly to a stream. It seems to be a freshwater stream, the water clear and unlike most of the boggy pools that bubbling within the marsh. The tracks come to a stop there, a large stick lying there upon the ground. And there, in the middle of the stream, is the unmistakably large form of a hare. His back is to the shore, and he is simply sitting there in the water, staring out at the opposite bank. It appears he had been bathing, and in the process, all that built up dirt and muck had been washed away, leaving nothing but the white fur of his winter coat. If one were to not know that Dom was a northern hare, they might not even recognize him, but...it is most certainly Dom, as what other hare of his size would be out here in the middle of nowhere? On the bank also lies the form of his skeleton companion, Blorg.

"Right, right." Terrence mutters, following as the scouts lead the way - in time the stream comes into view, and he waves to his fellow sergeant and scouts to get down. "Suppose that's 'im, then?" One of the scouts say, having never seen Erg in the marsh until now. "'E's cleanah than I'd expected, wot." Terrence nods, looking at Felicity. "Well, Dom is in your unit, wot, so you should deal with him first. We'll back you up if you need it." He certainly trusts that she'll be careful, certainly more than himself. "And good luck, wot!"

Felicity follows the scouts to the stream.  Her eyes widen for a moment, then she rolls her eyes.  Duh.  She'd forgotten he was from the North.  Of course he's turning white.  She smiles a little nervously.  "Thanks....'opefully luck'll be on m'side."  She takes a deep breath, and steps ahead of the rest of the hares.

"Dom, love, is that you?"  Everyone who knows her knows that she calls her dear friends 'love' -- it's not romantic or anything.  It's almost like they're her family.  "Whot are y'doin' out 'ere?  We've been worried sick.  The leverets are missin' you somethin' fierce, they are.  They won't stop askin', 'Where's Dom?  When will 'e come back t'play?'  They miss you terribly."

She takes a step closer, still cautiously out of his arm's reach.  "You remembah the leverets, right?  All the games y'lot played?  Goin' t'th'beach t'collect paint makin' supplies?"  Her voice cracks a little, like she's about to cry.  "Julia dancin' 'er dolly 'cross y' 'ead.  Y'remembah that, don't you?  Please, Dom," she pleads as a tear trickle down her cheek.  "Please come back.  Come t'th'leverets.  Come back t'me, your friend.  Come back t'th'Mountain.  We care 'bout you....I care 'bout you."

The Runner swallows.  "Y're m'friend, Dominik.  Please come back."  Her plea finished, she stands there, waiting to see how he'll respond.

Dominik remains sitting there in the middle of the stream, blue eyes staring out at the opposite bank. His ears both perk, swiveling a little, and it is obvious the hare is listening to Felicity's words. His head lifts a little, the sound of the trickling stream really the only sound one can here aside from the light splashes the river makes as it travels around the giant hare's form. He slowly rises up from the water, the water trickling down through his white fur, though he does not turn to face them. There is a frown upon his muzzle, eyes flickering for a moment or two in recognition as the names and events are mentioned. A few moments later, however, they harden again, and a single word booms out to echo amongst the trees. "...LEAVE."

Felicity flinches and backs away, another tear trickling down her cheek.  Then her face hardens and she informs him, "No!  I will not leave this marsh until you do!  I don't abandon m'friends!"  She scoots away and lets the net plan go into action, grieving that the gentle giant she knew seems to be gone.  But perhaps nothing is as it seems....

Terrence tightens his grip on the net in his paw. The sergeant was anxious that Dom might try something, especially when the leave comes to his ear. Though reluctant, he's prepared to use force to subdue the big northern hare, even if it spits in the face of everything Felicity said. And so he waves the order and the sergeant and one of the scouts fling out their nets at the bathing hare, with the other scouts rushing to the waters edge and adding their nets to the mass. Terrence stands, looking sympathetically back at Felicity and starts to cautiously approach behind the others, who are already moving to try and hold the big hare down.

Dominik appears to have been ready to turn around to face Felicity, but at that point, he is suddenly beset on all sides by the thrown nets. As the first ones strike him and being to weigh him down, he rises up out the stream with a strong surge and a roar. This likely yanks those holding the nets into the stream. Beginning to wade towards the bank (and likely dragging the others with him), Erg is then hit by the second set of nets, and it drags him down to his knees. His eyes are in a panic, flicking this way and that as the memory of that day when they had first been captured begins to surge back into his brain. That feeling of being weighted down and helpless, those spears constantly striking him, knocking him into unconsciousness. He roars again, pulling himself back up again against all those nets, and it is certainly a struggle to keep him held down. "NO!!!!!!!" he shrieks, his voice cracking painfully as he fights his way towards the bank with as much strength as he can muster.

Two of the scouts are dragged forward, with Terrence and the other close behind. "DOM!" The sergeant shouts, wrestling with the net and doing his best to keep up. "Move towards the bank!" He orders, as the two being pulled along find their footing. They let the big hare forward, doing their best to keep enough tension so as to slow his movements but not entirely stop him - the four hares are incapable of that, more than likely. Terrence is deeply unsettled with Dom's shrieks and they seem to make the sergeant hesitant to continue- but he really can't do anything about that, not now. Private Kasimir will probably hate him forever, he thinks. Gritting his teeth he does all he can to keep the AWOL private in the nets, pushing aside his personal feelings.

Dominik continues to struggle, and it is indeed a fight to keep the massive hare pinned down. Water is splashed around everywhere, the scouts being dragged around all willy nilly, some of them even being swung around as Dom manages to find his footing and make another strong surge to escape. Panic mixed in with his already massive amounts of brute strength are not a good combination, and if he were anywhere near the ability to feel bad for those poor scouts, he more than likely would. "NO!!!! Nooooo...NOT....AGAIN!" he roars, staggering along the bank and dragging the others with him as he simply tries to get away. The more he struggles, the weaker he seems to get, however, and he is dragging the others far away from the stream, and onto the marshlands once again.

Terrence had been thrown clear across the the marsh, landing with a loud plop face-first in the freezing mush. The scouts all manage to hang on, even when their footpaws are lifted off the earth below. Groaning, the sergeant pushes himself up, spectacles long gone. His ears perk as he listens for the cries of Dom and the curses and swearing of the scouts, and, slowly, starts to make his way after them, stumbling often but coming closer. Two of the scouts, veterans, plant their feet firmly behind a log, using their combined weight to pull back and topple Dom - the last scout, having been dragged through water, mud, and dirt, continues to hang on for dear life, keeping a dead weight on the ensnared private.

Dominik strains and struggles against the nets that are weighing him down, the large hare putting as much of his weight into his shoulder as he tugs and pushes. His strength is almost enough to withstand that of those veterans and the scout who is hanging on, however his struggling has seemingly weakened him. He appears more afraid than angry at this point, which is more than likely a good thing for those holding onto the nets. An arm manages to slip through some of the netting, as the massive hare reaches out and clutches at thin air, helplessly, his face a mask of terror as his eyes flicker and tears run down his now-white-furred cheeks. "NO!!!!!!" He slumps down to the ground in despair, his cheek hitting the damp earth as he stares out at those who have recaptured him, his legs kicking feebly as those nets weigh him down.

"Well..." One of the scouts pant, "Seems we got him, sah." Terrence had come close enough to hear Dom last No and when he hits the earth, and something in the sergeant seems to break - though he can't quite see or make out the face of Dom, he can guess what he looks like from his shrieks. The others start to debate how to get their captive back and Terrence sits down in front of the private (out of reach), practically useless without his spectacles. "Dom?" He sighs, exhausted, "Will you come with us now?"

Dominik's chest heaves with his heavy breaths, the nets covering the large hare shifting up and down in the process as he begins to hyperventilate. His eyes dart back and forth, paws clutching at the ground and tearing up large chunks of earth in the process as the already soft ground is churned up beneath him. "...can't...do this...again! Can't!" he chokes out, his arm swiping at the air again helplessly, before finally dropping down to the ground. Squeezing his eyes closed, a tear squeezes out and runs down his cheek as he realizes he more than likely can't do anything else at this point. His shoulders heave in a heavy sigh, his voice a lot smaller and weaker than his form, sounding more like a scolded leveret than anything else. "...yes. Vil go."

Nodding, Terrence begins to stand. "Right then, Dominik." There's a sorrowful look in his unfocused eyes as he gazes down. "Come on then, we'll get the nets off you..." The scouts look at each other alarmed, with one venturing, "Sure that's wise, sah? 'E might just run off soon as 'e's free!"

"I'm not so sure." the sergeant replies, "But go on, do it."

There's a distinct delay before the three other hares respond. "Sah." So they start to untangle Dom slowly and carefully, with at least one afraid the big white hare will turn and kill them all. Terrence, for his part, holds out a paw to the caught hare, doing his best to be unthreatening - which isn't hard with how he clearly is having trouble seeing what he's doing, squinting here and there to try and better see the now fuzzy world. "Dom?" He starts, quietly, "You remmebah your name, Dom, yes?" 

Dominik doesn't move from where he lies there in a heap on the ground, cheek still pressed into the earth, his paw extended out but also lying on the ground. He stares out into the distance, his eyes still flickering and damp, still wide with the panic and trauma of having those nets thrown over him. His jaw slowly moves up and down, nothing really coming out as he seems to be fighting to find any words to respond with. "...am not Dom. Am...Erg..." he finally manages to rasp out, obviously still not all there, though he's really not in much of a position to do much about it. "Am not...Dom..." he repeats, weakly, his ears still held flat against the back of his head as he begins to tremble. It is most definitely a major change from the large beast who was rampaging through the Patrol came not a couple nights ago.

"Right, Erg then." Terrence kneels down in front of him - the sergeant can't quite see Dom's face, nor can he tell if the hare is looking at him or not. "Erg, can you stand?" The scouts seem ready to spring back if the arctic hare tries anything - whether to run away or toss the nets has yet to be shown. "I need you to follow us, Erg." The sergeant's brows are furrowed in worry as Dom's weak protests seem more troubling to Terrence than any trap or skull the big hare left for them.

Dominik's whole countenance seems to be a complete 180 from how he'd been earlier. Despite his large size, he seems no more intimidating than a Dibbun at this point in time. It could be the lack of facepaint, or the lack of toad skulls, but the northern hare seems utterly defeated. Very slowly, the hare begins to shift up to a sitting position. He remains sitting there for awhile, shoulders slumped, his gaze focused downwards. "...Erg...can stand," he replies quietly, before he eventually does shift himself up to a standing position. He merely stands there, waiting for any further instructions, his expression a haunted one as his gaze averts to the ground.

Standing as well, Terrence bows his head to Dominik. "Well now, we need to back, Erg." He's being careful to use the self-given name. "Do you remembeh majah Varus, at least?" The sergeant tries to look the scared hare in the eye, failing, "He'll be glad to see you again, I bet. Berle, Addersmith, you still there?"

"Yes sah."

"Lead us back then. Come on, Erg." The sergeant gestures for Dom to follow the scouts, and does his best to keep in step next to him behind the two.

I play Atticus, John, Lossow, Terrence, and Spruce
The Long Patrol Landing Page!
Usually on the MUCK Saturdays + Monday & Wednesday evenings if I have the time
Fastest way to reach me is via my Discord: Luke_SkyOtter#1438

Board footer