Redwall MUCK Forum

Redwall MUCK is an interactive, multiplayer text game set in Brian Jacques' Redwall universe.

Visit RWMUCK.ORG for more info!

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-11-06 08:06:11 PM

Ol'random
Website

Erg the Blog-Slayer, Round IV: Punch-Out

Dominik and Konner, hares.

A little while or so after Erg ran off into the marshland...

Some distance away from the sand and surf surrounding the giant fire mountain known as Salamandastron, beyond the now-smouldering marshes and the charred and blackened remains of the toad village, a lone, shadowy figure trudges along slowly in the darkness, only the occasional patch of moonlight shining through the trees as a source of light. Still, the hulking figure seems to know where to go, knowing where to step to avoid the various patches of bog, and he looks to be traveling relatively easily considering the circumstances. As said figure ventures into a patch of the pale moonlight, it dimly illuminates the distantly familiar features of the Long Patrol Private once known as Dominik, now known as Erg.

The at-one-time ruggedly handsome young buck is almost unrecognizable in his current state, his long ears drawn back against the back of his head, scars peppering his brow and his cheeks. His once well kept mahogany fur is covered in dirt and muck, but the oddest thing about him is the warpaint that streaks his features; it is pale yellow in color, and appears to be made from toad-blood. Over his shoulder, he is carrying...something. Upon further inspection, it appears to be the body of a toad, freshly slain not a half hour ago. Eyes narrowing and nose twitching as he scents the air, the large buck pauses, eyes scanning his surroundings. He'd thought he heard a noise nearby, and being that he is extremely close to the small cavern he'd adopted as his new home, it makes him extremely wary and cautious.

The buck is a little more intelligent than he's given credit for, as he had gone through the process of setting up a pawful of booby traps that peppered the area around the cave. It was generally for his protection and to keep outsiders out, but then also it was another way of catching his food. Hmmming, once he assesses the situation and realizes that it was nothing, the large hare trudges onwards towards his humble abode. Dinnertime!

Konner has had a very, very bad week. The recruit had been one of the first to go down after the toads ambushed their doomed training party, falling to a rather hefty rock to his leg. He had managed to avoid being captured by the slimy things by rolling into a pool of muck which nearly drowned him, and, once the main group of toads had left the area, moved to the other side and taking shelter in an old rotten trunk. Once he pulled himself out (losing his boot in the process), the hare had had the presence of mind to stop the bleeding and make a make-shift splint out of reeds and sticks. He'd also saved his pack, so he had something relatively clean of swamp-mush to put on, waiting for rescue. Two days later he ran out of clean water. By day three the green-brown swamp was looking quite lovely. By day five he had indulged, developing a fever for his efforts.

Day six, however, was the absolute worst - a fire had sprung up and set fire to what remained of his gear! With all the haste he could muster, the recruit pulled himself out, and, with a look of horror, realized everywhere was on fire. Since then, he had been making his way slowly through the marsh, inch by agonizing inch, and his leg screamed in agony every time he moved.

Of course, his week was about to get worse, especially now that his good leg just so happened to brush a pile of leafs and worms as he struggled to get by it. And so with a loud yelp and a whoosh Konner was hoisted by his ankle into the air to dangle.

Approaching his new home, Erg ducks inside the cave, setting down the burden he'd been carrying over in the corner. Grabbing the piece of flint he'd kept handy nearby, the buck picks up a small rock and begins striking the two together; soon enough, he has a small fire going in the area he'd designated as such. As the cave is slowly illuminated by the growing flames, eerie shadows dance upon the walls of the cave, the creepiest being one that looks oddly enough like...a toad. Well, -technically- it is a toad. At least it had been at one time. The dim, flickering light soon reveals what seems to be the cleaned skeleton of a toad, set up and positioned as if it was sitting up on a log and enjoying the warmth of the fire. Its hollowed out eyeholes stare off into the distance, the brief gusts of wind outside making a soft whistling noise as they occasionally sweep through the cavern. "Hrm," Erg grunts as he lowers himself onto the ground, before a smile flickers across his weathered face. "Vas good hunt today, Blorg. Should have seen. Didn't stand chance." He chortles. "Ve...eh?" He blinks, ears going up briefly as he hears a yelp from outside, and the telltale sound of one of his traps being triggered. "Vait here. Vil return." A grim expression replaces the previous joviality, and the buck pushes himself back up again, ducking out into the marshes as he trudges in the direction of the noise.

Left to spin in the air and ponder his morbid fate, Konner watches the world twirl around him upside down, with the tips of his ears barely scraping the soft ground below. Of course the recruit had tried to reach both it and the trunk, but, after much swearing and struggling, everything proved to be just out of his range of his paws with the only reward for this being more spinning. As the blood starts to rush into his head all the recruit can think is thank goodness it wasn't my bad leg. The sun is clouded over now, what little warmth it had disappearing from the marsh. "Great. Want me to bloody freeze to death, don't you?" Konner says to the heavens, craning his neck to look up. Another curse is muttered, accompanied by a shaking fist.

While the recruit is massively disoriented from the mix of pain, dizziness, sickness, and the cold, his hearing is mostly intact - his ears pick up something large approaching at a quick pace, and all Konner can do is wait in horror till he is turned towards the direction the noise is. "AAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHH!" The scream rips itself from his throat as he starts to thrash wildly, having seen the massive form of what he can only think of as a monster come towards him.

Judging by the loud noises and curses coming from the direction he is heading in, Erg is assuming that yes indeed, he did happen to catch...something. Judging by the speaking cadence and general lack of croaking though, the odds that it is a toad seem to be very slim. Still, it is someone trespassing near his home, and he couldn't afford to have that. He knows there are occasional bandits who happen to get lost while wandering through the marshes, and it's more than likely that's who his guest is. As he gets closer, he sees the form dangling there just above the ground, and the large hare stops for a moment. With his ears folded back and his clothing covered in grime, the buck does indeed appear to be some sort of monstrous creature, and he does not help that he emits a low, rumbling growl as he approaches Konner. "No trespass," he booms, paws clenching at his sides as he takes a step closer to him. He stares down at the upsidedown hare, glowering at him as he gives him only a moment or two to explain why he is there.

"AAAAAAA-" The recruit is inconsolable, flailing his arms around around. "AGH! DON'T EAT ME! I PROMISE I WONT TRESPASS AGAIN!" Konner falls into just babbling now, "Ididn'tmeantoI'llnevereverdoitagainohgoodnesspleasehavemercy!" His eyes shoot up the clouds above the toad-killer, clutching his paws together, "Ifthis'forth'timeInickedthatcakeI'msorryohgoodnessI'msorry!"

Dominik's expression turns from one of annoyance and anger to one of...confusion...as he continues to stare daggers down at Konner. His arms fold for a brief moment as he ponders what exactly to do with this babbling, whining creature. From all intents and purposes he appears to be a...hare? Though his condition doesn't look to be the greatest. The idea that they may have sent someone out to search for him doesn't even enter into his mind at all, and he slowly paces back and forth in front of Konner as he appears to be pondering what exactly to do with him. "Can cut down, toss into svamp..." he booms. "Can leave here, for night creatures to feast on. Hmmm. Vat should Erg do..." He rubs his chin with a paw as he stomps back and forth in front of the slowly swinging creature.

From all that Konner can tell, what with the blood now pounding in his head and the upside down view, the creature before him is anything but a hare. He's just incoherent now. "Toss-no-Konner-eep-please-please-please-oh-please-no-no..." The monster's accent might have been recognizable to the recruit if it weren't for the circumstances. "AaaaaaaAAAAAAAGH!" Seeing that 'speaking' failed to get through to 'Erg', Konner tries wailing again. "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!"

Dominik is quickly losing patience with the terrified young hare, his expression darkening as he comes to a stop in front of him again. Konner likely chose the absolute worst thing he could have done, and that is make so much noise that could possibly draw attention to Erg and his location. Despite his reputation among the toads that mill about in the surrounding marshes, they more than likely would love to try and catch him unawares. "STOP!" he growls, brow furrowing. "Noise!" As Konner continues to scream, Erg seemingly has no choice, and he rears back, swinging a heavy punch down at Konner as he hangs there in an effort to knock him senseless. He hadn't been getting anywhere with the way things were going as it was, so he'd have to try a new tactic.

"AAAAAAAAAA-" The recruit's shriek is cut off by the single blow, and his thrashing ceases. From the way his none-tangled leg and arms hang uselessly as he bounces back to hit the tree, it's clear the massive hare knocked him clean out. His limp body swings back towards Dom, now.

Dominik gives a sigh, his head shaking slowly as he stares down at the hare before him. He is able to get a good look at him, and he notices his various injuries...not to mention the hare's uniform. A moment later, Erg reaches forward and undoes the rope around Konner's ankle, setting the hare down gently on the ground before he re-sets up the trap. Once he is finished, Erg returns his attention to the unconscious Konner. Leaning down, he carefully hefts the hare up onto a shoulder, and he turns and trudges his way through the marsh back in the direction of his cavern. "Is not nursemaid," he mutters to himself. "Is toad-slayer. But...must help." He brings Konner into the cavern, setting him down near the fire, far enough away so that he is not singed. Having had plenty of training in what to do in case of various injury situations, he goes about gathering up various things. "...Vat should I do vith him, Blorg?" he asks his skeletal companion. Blorg...just sits there.

The unconscious hare doesn't do much more than Blorg, slumping to the ground once he's set down. A low groan escapes, but that's about all the signs of life Konner shows, beyond his ragged and weak breathing.

Last edited by Ol'random (2019-11-07 09:46:55 PM)

I play Atticus, John, Lossow, Terrence, and Spruce
The Long Patrol Landing Page!
Usually on the MUCK Saturdays + Monday & Wednesday evenings if I have the time
Fastest way to reach me is via my Discord: Luke_SkyOtter#1438

#2 2019-11-07 05:20:45 PM

Montamillion

Re: Erg the Blog-Slayer, Round IV: Punch-Out

(A bit of a correction...this actually took place about a week or so after the toad incident, hence Konner spending six days out by himself in the swamp til he 'found' Dom's trap, haha. And I made some typos in there as well, ugh. Like in the last post, it's supposed to be 'companion', not 'compation'. XD Thanks to Terrence for being awesome and spoofing poor terrified Konner!)

“You will find joy, frustration and sorrow in your quest. Never forget that friendship and loyalty are more precious than riches...Happiness can be brief, but it knows no time in the land of dreams.”

Owner of: Monty, Dominik, and Grau

#3 2019-11-07 09:51:35 PM

Ol'random
Website

Montamillion wrote:

(A bit of a correction...this actually took place about a week or so after the toad incident, hence Konner spending six days out by himself in the swamp til he 'found' Dom's trap, haha. And I made some typos in there as well, ugh. Like in the last post, it's supposed to be 'companion', not 'compation'. XD Thanks to Terrence for being awesome and spoofing poor terrified Konner!)

Right! I'll correct what typos I find!
About that first post however, I had meant that Konner spent the week in the swamp after the training day, not the rescue tongue
I'll edit the 'synopsis' to make it more ambiguous, though

I play Atticus, John, Lossow, Terrence, and Spruce
The Long Patrol Landing Page!
Usually on the MUCK Saturdays + Monday & Wednesday evenings if I have the time
Fastest way to reach me is via my Discord: Luke_SkyOtter#1438

#4 2019-11-08 04:29:26 PM

Montamillion

Ohhhh, okay, I understand what you meant now. Sorry about that, I guess I misunderstood the time period. XD But still, yeah, the scene took place at least a few days after the incident...so Dom had time to find his cave and get settled in n such. big_smile

“You will find joy, frustration and sorrow in your quest. Never forget that friendship and loyalty are more precious than riches...Happiness can be brief, but it knows no time in the land of dreams.”

Owner of: Monty, Dominik, and Grau

Board footer